River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Absolutely beautiful in the U.K. known as ‘heavy horses’ we have four breeds three native and one introduced so long ago it’s now regarded as native. Up until recently in Devizes the beer produced in the town was delivered by brewers dray pulled by two beautiful huge Shire horses.

• Like 1

Devizes is known for its large horses too? I'd only heard of large ears!

"There once was a man from Devizes,

Whose ears were of two different sizes! 

The one which was small,

Was of no use at all,

But the other won several prizes!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Some of the horses are just magnificent looking animals.

Thank you for the link. Had not heard of this tradition there. By the way, for the language nerd. We call the heavy horses pulling the beer wagons also Brauereigäule. Word to be used in limited circumstances! "Gaul" is mostly a not so nice word for a horse, but basically okay with the Brauerei in front.

@Canal archive I love the shire horses, your equivalent to those breeds here. Give me a shire horse to look at over any posh Viennese Hofreitschule one any day. Once took a ride in a carriage through York with a half breed I think it is called. Anyway, one of those strong ones but not heavily built for breweries. It was a lovely experience. We do not see many carriages or heavy horses where I live.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you for the link. Had not heard of this tradition there. By the way, for the language nerd. We call the heavy horses pulling the beer wagons also Brauereigäule. Word to be used in limited circumstances! "Gaul" is mostly a not so nice word for a horse, but basically okay with the Brauerei in front.

@Canal archive I love the shire horses, your equivalent to those breeds here. Give me a shire horse to look at over any posh Viennese Hofreitschule one any day. Once took a ride in a carriage through York with a half breed I think it is called. Anyway, one of those strong ones but not heavily built for breweries. It was a lovely experience. We do not see many carriages or heavy horses where I live.

notamermaid

notamermaid,

Where the horses are used for plowing they can be called an Ackergaul, right?

Usually I heard the horses in the processions being referred to as Kaltblüter - not that their blood is any colder than that of any other horse, but because of their cool temperaments. Roß is very commonly used or even Schimmel for a white horse. One of the most common breeds is the Haflinger, but many other breeds of draft horses are represented in these processions. At a nearby town, Bad Kötzting they have been carrying of a very large procession every year since 1412. It is not unusual for there to be 900 horses and riders taking part in the Kötztinger Pfingsritt.

RDVIK

17 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Where the horses are used for plowing they can be called an Ackergaul, right?

Yes, correct. 😊

Roß is the neutral older word, very much favoured in literature and a typical phrase is "Roß und Reiter". We enjoy alliterations as well. "Schimmel", yeah, weird one. The other meaning in German is mould. So "white horse" in the bathroom is most likely a mistranslation if you ever see it. 😉

The Haflinger are beautiful I find.

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Yes, correct. 😊

Roß is the neutral older word, very much favoured in literature and a typical phrase is "Roß und Reiter". We enjoy alliterations as well. "Schimmel", yeah, weird one. The other meaning in German is mould. So "white horse" in the bathroom is most likely a mistranslation if you ever see it. 😉

The Haflinger are beautiful I find.

notamermaid

Roß seems to be in quite regular use in southern Germany and Austria. Besides the Haflinger one of the other breeds that is beautiful is the so-called "Schwarzwälder Fuchs" with a blond mane grown long. 

That town I mentioned with the huge Pentecost Monday procession also has an annual "Roßtag" where they celebrate pre-internal combustion farming technology. A highlight has been the local brewery wagon drawn by a team (Gespann) of up to 10 "Brauereigäule" (I only make out eight in recent photos. The former handler has passed away - he was also the brew master).

RDVIK

2 minutes ago, RDVIK2016 said:

Roß seems to be in quite regular use in southern Germany and Austria.

Ah, yes. You are right. Another aspect of different uses of words in parts of the German-speaking realm. Quite some years ago a popular television series made use of that when in the story a Bavarian guy moved to the island of Rügen. Hardly gets any more extreme than that.

I have never seen more than six horses drawing a cart/wagon/carriage. Eight or ten is a lot to handle. May be used in Royal processions and such but I have never noticed it.

Beautiful day yesterday, was great fun working as all people apart from one woman were happy and even jovial. Busy tourism weekend. Fortunately only needed to do one day (although I have been finishing a few things off in the background today). Anyway, I hope you can now all enjoy the floral delights of spring. Helped my elderly relative planting a type of roses (we call them that in German sometimes) today that is called Alcea, apparently they are the family Malveae in English.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Ah, yes. You are right. Another aspect of different uses of words in parts of the German-speaking realm. Quite some years ago a popular television series made use of that when in the story a Bavarian guy moved to the island of Rügen. Hardly gets any more extreme than that.

I have never seen more than six horses drawing a cart/wagon/carriage. Eight or ten is a lot to handle. May be used in Royal processions and such but I have never noticed it.

notamermaid

Bayern to Rügen! They must have had fun with that. I had a friend here in the US who was from Fehmarn. He and my Bavarian first wife had some fun with their dialects. (edited to add - He left Fehmarn because there was no way for him to earn a living there, either as a fisherman, after the British forces punished locals for having a side job of smuggling from Denmark and Sweden by beaching the boats and burning them.)

The brewery's 10er Gespann comes at 7:20 until the end of this video - right after the boy on the cart drawn by two miniature ponies. There are two views of team and wagon viewed from either side. Video should open at 07:12 so you don't have to skim through. (There is an eight-horse team earlier in the video)

Edited by RDVIK2016
added information as noted in text
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Look out on the BBC for the lady London Marathon runner that tasted 26 different wines as she ran the course guessing the type etc

By 'lady' I think you mean Tom Gilbey. 😁

Should've gone to Specsavers.

Tom Gilbey, nicknamed “the wine guy”, sampled 25 glasses of wine during the race, stopping to guess the drink’s grape variety, country of origin and vintage at each mile.

London Marathon ‘wine guy’ on how he sampled 25 wines during race | London Marathon | The Guardian

Thanks @pontac, I had seen the article yesterday, didn't open it, but was pretty sure they gave a gentleman's name. Was wondering why 2 people would choose to consume the same amount of wine while running.  I hear the Mayor of Ottawa was in London for the marathon, not sure how he placed. Smart guy, he is apparently also drumming up tourism at the same time...gets the flight over & place to stay paid for by tax payers, just had to pay to run!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 2:27 PM, Canal archive said:

Quite a few bits on the news feeds about him both good and bad, it looks like he completed in just over 4 hours. It was reported in the Ottawa newspapers.

I saw it mentioned on our evening news from Toronto. DH and I both had the same reaction: why?! 😂