Alaska...Van to Van.....7 days.....not doing this year???

Kelownabccan

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

So far!!! Our cruise on the Princess Grand for May 10th from Van to Van is still a go as of today!  Crossing fingers for it to sail and for us to get our vaccine soon!!!   Hope that covered pool is warm!!!

Keeping fingers crossed for you. 

Ours out of Vancouver on the Grand is cancelled also....it was for 5 days...Van back to Van...there were very few ones to choose from......other than going up to Alaska and back...14 days...do not  know what I will do now......wait until Fall and do one down to La from Van perhaps......

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

This year!

Sorry, but it’s very, very doubtful that the Canadian border will be open this spring to US residents and cruiseships.  If I were you, I would start looking at 2022 for Alaska.  Disappointing for sure, but better to be aware.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Going to keep trying !!  Positive thinking!!!

Off to the UK this weekend for a funeral so if I can survive the 10 day quarantine and then total lockdown I can survive anything!!

Unfortunately, Canada opening their ports does not have anything

to do with us being tough. We are unable to visit Banff, etc. and we live in

a border state.

46 minutes ago, nini said:

Unfortunately, Canada opening their ports does not have anything

to do with us being tough. We are unable to visit Banff, etc. and we live in

a border state.

Not quite getting the reference to being tough? 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Cruise Critic has stated that the cruiselines are petitioning for an exemption to the PVSA/Jones Act. So there is still a chance!!

That will be interesting since they are not actually "US citizens" with USA registration.

But, who knows? I hope we can find out the results of their appeal.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

I have only seen his objections to changing the Jones Act.

Can you post a link to where he says this about the PVSA?

Most people don’t know the difference between the Jones Act and then the PSVA. Even lawyers you dealing with cruise lines call it the Jones Act. I’m sure the people around him don’t know the difference. 

On 2/19/2021 at 9:08 AM, gmjc2 said:

Cruise Critic has stated that the cruiselines are petitioning for an exemption to the PVSA/Jones Act. So there is still a chance!!

The Defense Appropriations bill passed by Congress in January contains language that restricts further the ability of the Executive branch to grant waivers of the Jones Act/PVSA.  Previously, any request for a waiver by the Secretary of Defense had to be granted, but now the DOD must show that in addition to the "national security reason" for the waiver request, it must also show the waiver is in support of "'active military operations".

And, in regards to the differences in the Jones Act/PVSA, while the legislation was passed in two different time periods, the sections of US law that they refer to are the same, and there is significant overlap of the USC between the two acts.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1