Are you feeling more optimistic about cruising?

photopro2

If we go, I suspect we'll do it with Collette tours. I've often thought about this one:  https://www.gocollette.com/en/tours/africa/south-africa/spectacular-south-africa#tour_detail_itinerary   Surprised to see that they have a "guaranteed date" going for this April already?  Really??? I like the idea of getting to Victoria falls as a post-trip extension. I'm sure Tanzania is great, but I've always sort of been more attracted to going to South Africa. Kruger would be the extent of 'game driving', and I think I'd be fine with that. Also, we're not at all into 'roughing it' so I think this tour would be a good fit for that as well!  

Hmmm -   is this optimistic about safari's or is this optimistic about cruising forum?

I like both, but I do think we'll be cruising before safaris will be available, that's for sure!

Am wondering which areas will open up first for cruising?

Possibly late 2021 or early 2022?

1-Caribbean

2-NorthernEurope (Norway)

3-Southern Europe (Mediter.)

much later: (later in 2022?)

-Africa (Egypt)

-Australia/NZ

-SouthAmerica

-Alaska (unless they remove the Jones Act)

Thoughts?

58 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

If we go, I suspect we'll do it with Collette tours. I've often thought about this one:  https://www.gocollette.com/en/tours/africa/south-africa/spectacular-south-africa#tour_detail_itinerary   Surprised to see that they have a "guaranteed date" going for this April already?  Really??? I like the idea of getting to Victoria falls as a post-trip extension. I'm sure Tanzania is great, but I've always sort of been more attracted to going to South Africa. Kruger would be the extent of 'game driving', and I think I'd be fine with that. Also, we're not at all into 'roughing it' so I think this tour would be a good fit for that as well!  

Briefly (before I incur the wrath of cruisers here) we did a similar circuit as in the Collette Tours itinerary (minus Kynsna) as independent travellers (basically a group of 2 with local TA assistance).  There is a premium over a group tour cost but not too bad.  But I digress.

We did a self drive in Namibia on the same trip. Quite an adventure.

We also travelled to Tanzania for the Northern and Southern Parks circuit and a side trip to Zanzibar.

Each trip has its +  and - but I would lean to South Africa if interested in food, wine city experiences and Safari.  Tanzania tends to be all about Safaris (not a bad thing).  And we absolutely enjoyed our time there and Zanzibar was magical.  

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

We have completed Africa trips to Kenya/Tanzania and South Africa. In Kenya/Tanzania our Niece, who lived in Nairobi made all the arrangements, so we didn't use a tour company.

In South Africa, we used Pembury Tours for all the arrangements. Started in Capetown, then flew up to one of the private reserves adjacent to Kruger, flew up to Victoria Falls and back to Capetown. You can customise the tours to meet your needs and also they provide choices for level of accommodation. We stayed in places that definitely weren't roughing it.

I have lots of photos and daily reports on our blog. We arrived in Capetown in April 2015, as part of our Round the World Flights tour.

We spent 3 or 4 nights at Arathusa Safari Lodge - https://arathusa.co.za/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

We have completed Africa trips to Kenya/Tanzania and South Africa. In Kenya/Tanzania our Niece, who lived in Nairobi made all the arrangements, so we didn't use a tour company.

Wow...sounds great. I'd at least like to get to the remaining 3 continents I've not visited - whether it'll ever happen or not remains to be seen. As time goes on, I'm increasingly doubtful. One of my huge bucket list items has always been AUS/NZ - obviously, with the WC itineraries, you've been there as well. My ancestry goes back to Warrnambool, so AUS, in particular, intrigues me. I've always been a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, and so would dearly like to get to Hobbiton as part of a NZ visit. Too many places, not enough time (or perhaps just a tad of waning ambition when it comes to tackling some of the vagaries and hassles relative to extensive international travel). Shorter, non-flying trips start to look increasingly appealing. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow...sounds great. I'd at least like to get to the remaining 3 continents I've not visited - whether it'll ever happen or not remains to be seen. As time goes on, I'm increasingly doubtful. One of my huge bucket list items has always been AUS/NZ - obviously, with the WC itineraries, you've been there as well. My ancestry goes back to Warrnambool, so AUS, in particular, intrigues me. I've always been a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, and so would dearly like to get to Hobbiton as part of a NZ visit. Too many places, not enough time (or perhaps just a tad of waning ambition when it comes to tackling some of the vagaries and hassles relative to extensive international travel). Shorter, non-flying trips start to look increasingly appealing. 

AUS/NZ is definitely a great area of the World to visit. I did my first trip to sea to NZ, spending 2 great months on the coast. When on SS Oriana I also completed a 4-month Aussie cruise season, so was in Sydney every 2 weeks.

The WC's are a welcome return.

Definitely agree with shorter flights, as my return to UK in 1978 was 24 hrs flying, with additional time on the 4 stops. Then in 2015 it was 15 hrs to DFW with an additional 5 hrs to YVR. Was easy in my 20's, but not so easy now.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, CCWineLover said:

Hmmm -   is this optimistic about safari's or is this optimistic about cruising forum?

I like both, but I do think we'll be cruising before safaris will be available, that's for sure!

1-Caribbean

-Africa (Egypt)

-Australia/NZ

-SouthAmerica

Thoughts?

There are safari that are happening right now and have been for awhile. Personally, I prefer to cruise 😀

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, dreamercruise said:

Ours follows yours.  I am also doubtful that ours will sail.  Chance is 50/50, even if US achieves enough percentage of vaccinations for herd immunity. Bigger questions are situation in South America and duration of our vaccine protection.

Wonder how early Viking cancelled your previous cruise and if Viking compensated enough for you to re-schedule the cruise?  When we booked ours, we had the July 4 sale (which is much better than the Explorers’ sale of free air).  Thus, it will most likely cost us more to rebook.

If Viking cancels your cruise again, will you rebook the same cruise?

We were originally on the Jan 2, 2021 South America cruise.  We accepted the 125% of our cruise fare and moved to Jan 8, 2022.  We really want to go to South America.  I guess we would look at January of 2023.  We received notice from Viking on Nov 19, 2020 that our Jan 2, 2021 was canceled.  

On 2/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, CCWineLover said:

1-Caribbean

-Africa (Egypt)

-Australia/NZ

-SouthAmerica

Thoughts?

Your question really can't be answered. The vaccine response is fluid and changing weekly. A month ago UK was just getting started and recently ramped things up. Jan 10 there were 2.2 mill done. As of yesterday 28 mill. Things are moving in the right direction.  Imagine if by the Summer we have four or five even approved vaccines to draw from!

Bob

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

Your question really can't be answered.

Obviously true.  Just interesting to speculate.  Kind of like a horse race and we have a ways to go so who's in front now may not be by end of year.  Plus you will have some countries anxious to open for business and allow cruise ships in (Caribbean?) and others who will be very restrictive longer (Australia, NZ ?)  and many in between.   Time will tell, that is for certain.

Even if we get to the stage where anyone wanting one (worldwide) has gotten one, you still have the issue of those who don't get it (for many different reasons)...   So, likely it will be up to the countries and cruise lines, and then ultimately the passengers, to gauge the risk level they are willing to take.

• Like 1

I'm very concerned with the various Caribbean islands and their eagerness to host cruising.  One location, Barbados, has vaccinated 11% of its adult population.  Even if they open up to cruising, and cruise passengers, it would seem like they are creating a potential local health emergency.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/barbados/

3 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Even if they open up to cruising, and cruise passengers, it would seem like they are creating a potential local health emergency.

Of course....my local county is only at about a 10% total vaccination rate (not all of those fully). By the time we get around to "everyone", globally speaking (which obviously won't happen anyway...who knows what the country-by-country stats will actually wind up being), it'll very likely be time for some sort of booster in those places that started first -  and then we can have at it all over again. This thing is like trying to pin down a blob of mercury. I say again....forget this at least until the beginning of next year. Stop building new ships or renovating old so as to conserve revenue that could be better used towards at least keeping staff paid, and just wait it out. I thought the approach was going to be one of some sort of sea trials prior to launching back into more substantial itineraries. Cruises to nowhere (as much as I have no interest in that) would appear to be the safest way to restart. 

See? I've got all the answers but it's just that noone listens to me 😆 

Anyway, as another option....car trips are nice.....wear a mask when in the hotels and probably when sightseeing in larger open areas...no worry about "bubble" groups on ship excursions, etc. Get take-out food instead of dining in. Back in October, we had a log cabin in the Allegheny forest area. Quiet and peaceful - till DW broke her arm while on a self-guided tour of a historic area and had to come home early!! 

All that being said...I'd LOVE to get back on the water with cruising, but simply won't till I feel it's a bit safer than what I believe is currently the case with (at least what appears to be) no concrete plans of how to restart this. Mr. Hagen's and my definition of "when it's once again safe to do so" may not quite be the same (?)

Edited by OnTheJourney

Agreed.  Places like Bahamas, Barbados, and others rely heavily on the tourism trade.  Even if the US cruise ship demographic is 80% vaccinated, that's still a risk to both sides when the local citizenry is 10% vaccinated.

(Noted that this is a first world discussion of how other folks should deal with financial crisis)

On 2/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, OnTheJourney said:

We went on a very similar Collette tour several years ago.  We did not go to Kruger but went to another private preserve.  It was a great trip, and we did get to see the big 5 close up.  I would go again without hesitation.  Victoria Falls was beautiful.  A couple of suggestions:   If you have dietary restrictions make sure they know about it ahead of time, as the food outside of South Africa is a little different than most people are used to.  Also if you are considering the Dubai extension, be aware Dubai can be very hot.  Attached is a picture that I submitted to Collette as part of their photo contest, which one first prize.  If you like taking pictures like I do, you will get many opportunities on this trip.   JohnEB

c44-jbarnett-bb-morning cloud waterfall 7 7 8.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 11:06 AM, Rami077 said:

We were originally on the Jan 2, 2021 South America cruise.  We accepted the 125% of our cruise fare and moved to Jan 8, 2022.  We really want to go to South America.  I guess we would look at January of 2023.  We received notice from Viking on Nov 19, 2020 that our Jan 2, 2021 was canceled.  

We are in a similar situation.  Our most recent SA booking is with Viking in February 2022.  I think there is no way that part of the world is close to normal in time and would cancel and rebook now but prices are significantly higher then for 2023, so we will wait and hope Viking cancels before final payment is due (unlikely).  No way we make final payment.

2 hours ago, johneb2 said:

We went on a very similar Collette tour several years ago. 

I really like them. Used them a few times. Their Oberammergau trip was great. Even above Africa on my bucket list is AUS and NZ - probably tops on the list. There is a Collette trip I really like for that part of the world that visits both. I have ancestry in Warrnambool so always wanted to go down that way. Never been anywhere in Asia either - China was always on my list but, not so sure anymore.

As I get older, the idea of long, complicated international trips starts to look increasingly less appealing sad to say - not that the destination doesn't beckon as much - cause it does - but just easier to do less involved trips. Should have done a few of those major (but far) destinations years ago - just was always busy doing something else. I've loved all our international journeys but some of my all-time favorite trips are fly/drive or else just driving trips in the US. Having been diagnosed a few years ago with meniere's disease and thus never knowing when a vertigo / dizziness attack might occur doesn't exactly embolden me to venture on more complicated trips. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 2/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, OnTheJourney said:

I know this is a cruising site, but since it has to do with travel I think it is okay to discuss.  Collette is a great company to travel with.  We have taken almost as many trips with them as we have cruises with Viking.  As far as the "guaranteed date", it usually means that date has been booked by a "group".  You would be wise to check on availability now if you are thinking of it.  On one of our trips with them we found a similar situation & found out that although it was guaranteed, there was no additional reservations being accepted unless it was on a standby basis due to a group reserving it.   JohnEB