Cancelling a Cruise

We are booked on a cruise which has not yet been cancelled.  Since cruises are now cancelled until a few weeks before ours I am probably going to cancel our cruise before final payment is due.  I know that if our cruise is not cancelled by then I will have to forfeit our deposit, as well as the money we paid for our trip insurance policy.  However, if Royal Caribbean subsequently cancels our cruise will they refund our deposit.

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If you cancel under Cruise With Confidence you will get a Future Cruise certificate in the amount of your deposit which is good for 12 months from the date that you cancel

I didn't think of that. Since I book with refundable deposits I only think of CWC after final payment is made.

• Like 1

I am trying to make the same decision.  I have a March 28 Liberty sailing that I thought had refundable but turns out it is non refundable.  I ALWAYS book refundable but I think the person on the phone didn't check it even after he was told to.  Anyway there is nothing to be done about that now.  I am feeling uncomfortable taking the cruse.  I would like for them to cancel so I can take advantage of the 125% offer but I am worried about waiting!  Finial payment is due late December and they just released the cancelled cruises for February in early December - so if they wait to cancel March in January it will be after my final payment is due. 

So after that long story,  Should I:

1.Wait and cross my fingers?

2.Move to something later? 

3.cancel and let them future cruse credit the deposit? 

4. something I am missing that is better?

Thank -you!!!

23 minutes ago, Disneycrazymom said:

I am trying to make the same decision.  I have a March 28 Liberty sailing that I thought had refundable but turns out it is non refundable.  I ALWAYS book refundable but I think the person on the phone didn't check it even after he was told to.  Anyway there is nothing to be done about that now.  I am feeling uncomfortable taking the cruse.  I would like for them to cancel so I can take advantage of the 125% offer but I am worried about waiting!  Finial payment is due late December and they just released the cancelled cruises for February in early December - so if they wait to cancel March in January it will be after my final payment is due. 

Thank -you!!!

Since you have a non-refundable deposit you could pay off the cruise  and then cancel under CWC if you are still uncomfortable in March and the cruise is not cancelled. Just make sure that you would take another cruise within a year from when you cancel or your 100% FCC will expire. If RCI cancels then you will get a 125% FCC which I THINK will be good for 18 months.

I am considering paying off my April cruise and seeing how I feel in April. I have a very good price so I hate to let it go. I am just not sure if I will be comfortable going. I do have a Jan 2022 cruise booked that I can apply an FCC to. However, I have to make sure I don't cancel sooner than 12 months before that cruise or the FCC will expire.

27 minutes ago, Disneycrazymom said:

Thank -you!!!

I would wait. I'd say chances march is cancelled is about 99.9%. They have to file to bring ships back to usa, do mock cruises, 60 days filing for inspections. I'm booked april 25th, and 10 out of 10 tell me I will be cancelled.

Start up will be 2 ships doing shorter cruises in florida they say, even if Galveston is soon, Galveston 7 days probably stands no chance by april. 

My problem is its paid by fcc that keeps getting moved, and I've moved other cruises and if you cancel and move your deposit becomes fcc. ..I'd wait but as they say you can make final and if it doesnt get canc, move to a later date closer in. I'm waiting for at least another month to decide, but I'm paid in full.

20 hours ago, Bridge Maven said:

We are booked on a cruise which has not yet been cancelled.  Since cruises are now cancelled until a few weeks before ours I am probably going to cancel our cruise before final payment is due.  I know that if our cruise is not cancelled by then I will have to forfeit our deposit, as well as the money we paid for our trip insurance policy.  However, if Royal Caribbean subsequently cancels our cruise will they refund our deposit.

Did you check your lift and shift options on their website?     Here is link   https://cancellation.royalcaribbean.com/?brand=R&_ga=2.95982044.1917603067.1607881374-2088407610.1605650482

You can do a mock cancellation and see what options it gives for sailings Feb, March and April of 2022 that way you are price protected and do not have to make final payment in coming weeks. 

If you do elect to do L & S option you would receive same cabin category, if same ship some people are receiving the exact same cabin.     If they assign you to a different cabin and you do not like the location you can call them to switch cabin as long as it is in same category.

another option, as majority of us highly doubt sailings greater than 3 o 4 nights will happen in March (if any of them happen) you can call RCL and rebook your cabin for the cheapest available cabin (such as interior) then make final payment and receive a full 100% cash refund when they cancel your cruise.

or you can move your deposit to another cruise

or you can get a 100% fcc now for your non-refundable deposit.

I have a sailing on March 28th on Anthem and I truly believe it will be cancelled for 2 reasons.   One I believe they will keep Anthem in Europe waters for the spring/summer sailings over there and 2 I don't see them restarting with any 7 night sailings in March.       Months ago, I really thought we would be sailing by end of March but now I highly doubt it.   

Now that the Vaccines are hitting the streets, one would hope that Royal would wise up and cancel all upcoming cruises until all those sailing have completed the vaccine process. Some say end of April and some say end of summer.  I’m guessing Royal won’t and continue taking deposits and final payments.