Celebrity email - Milli & Reflection to drydock early 2022

HS2BS

35 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

The update was not fully completed.  We sailed on Millie in Feb 2019, the second sailing out of the Revolutionizing refit and many areas were incomplete and some areas had not be touched.

That is often the case first cruise out of dry dock.  They were still building the suites on Xpedition when we took our Galapagos cruise in 2012 right after her dry dock.  We all got partial refunds...big ones for the folks who bought those rooms, and got stuck with a window on deck 3.

57 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

The update was not fully completed.  We sailed on Millie in Feb 2019, the second sailing out of the Revolutionizing refit and many areas were incomplete and some areas had not be touched.

I believe all that was planned was completed.  Yes there were areas not really touched but they weren't on Summit either.

They have not said where drydocks would be for either ship. Last year(2019) the Silhouette was originally scheduled to be done in two weeks that turned out to be six weeks(done in Spain). Cruises for January 2019 went from 12 days(cancelled), to a 14 day(cancelled) to a 3 day(cancelled) finally the first sailing was 2/14/19. Celebrity is not that good with a calendar!

Hal

• Like 1

On Dec 15  Celebrity released the spring 2022 TA and European cruises and I booked a B2M for the April 18 and May 2 cruises on Reflection.

and they have the summer cruises locked up.

this is the funny part. Just before the TA they have 2 days of nothing scheduled. Not enough to get to the dry dock and back let alone do anything. 2 days is enough to do some special maintenance 

i asked somebody working with my reservations and she told me the dry dock was just before the TA. 

that alone made me nervous, as things get drawn out.

I did look and it appears the Reflection does not have any gaping holes in the early 2020. Just the 2 aforementioned days. 

wait and see time. 

The comment about wishing they had a spare time to do maintenance when there were no cruises, obviously a sarcastic punch at RCL management, was spot on. My guess with the uncertainty, RCL did not want to spend cash.

16 hours ago, HMR74 said:

The comment about wishing they had a spare time to do maintenance when there were no cruises, obviously a sarcastic punch at RCL management, was spot on. My guess with the uncertainty, RCL did not want to spend cash.

I was under the impression that the timing of routine maintenance dry docks were based on hours in service and or time.  So the changes to the schedule could be related to cash flow as you suggest but also to when maintenance was due and whether the dry dock facility was operating during the past 7 months. 

The Eclipse is currently headed in for it’s dry dock.  

Edited by jelayne

On 12/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, HS2BS said:

They have not said where drydocks would be for either ship. Last year(2019) the Silhouette was originally scheduled to be done in two weeks that turned out to be six weeks(done in Spain). Cruises for January 2019 went from 12 days(cancelled), to a 14 day(cancelled) to a 3 day(cancelled) finally the first sailing was 2/14/19. Celebrity is not that good with a calendar!

Hal

We'll that's not completely fair.  Yes it's true Celebrity had an extra 3 days after the drydock was originally scheduled and they decided to add the 3 days to the first post dry dock cruise at no cost to the passengers.  Not too many people complained.   The dry dock then had to be rescheduled and moved to Spain because of a drydock accident in Freeport.  I was scheduled on all of these re-scheduled cruises and Celebrity treated me very well.  When the Silhouette sailed after the drydock, everything looked to be finished and the ship looked great.

The problem with me was Celebrity added a three day cruise(2/11 - 2/14), which I booked along with flights and hotel. Then they cancelled it without compensation for our adjusting other bookings. We were with you on the Silhouette for the b2b after that.

The Reflection has a cruise before the ta that ends on 4/16, and the ta is booked to leave on 4/18, but it is not listed as the other ta sailings(probably not going to happen). Do you suppose those are maintenance days?

Hal

11 hours ago, HS2BS said:

The problem with me was Celebrity added a three day cruise(2/11 - 2/14), which I booked along with flights and hotel. Then they cancelled it without compensation for our adjusting other bookings. We were with you on the Silhouette for the b2b after that.

The Reflection has a cruise before the ta that ends on 4/16, and the ta is booked to leave on 4/18, but it is not listed as the other ta sailings(probably not going to happen). Do you suppose those are maintenance days?

Hal

since I just booked early last week-Dec 16 or so, and I have had Tweaking" discussions with several people at Celebrity since, only one mentioned the dry dock after I asked and the reply was the letters have gone out to those affected and the Apr 18 cruise will be the first cruise after the dry dock.

Okay, so then why are they still taking reservations on the cruises before the 18th (I have not checked in a few days), and for that matter if they are taking reservations on those, then is the TA at risk, or several of the Medeterranean cruises, and if so when.

Anybody know how long a "routine" dry dock normally takes-, probably not the 5-6 weeks a full "revolution" takes. but certainly not 2 days.

5 hours ago, HMR74 said:

I cannot edit my prior post, however I think I found when Reflection goes to drydock

There is a big Gap of nearly 2 months in the Summer European cruses-from July 4 to September 5.

There are itineraries in July and August.

Image may contain: outdoor, text that says "Celebrity Xcruises Cruises® Wonder RETURNS NEWWORLDISWAITING Discover our new season of award-winning sailings CELEBRITY REFLECTION® Date Nights Description Ports Islands, APRIL 2022 OCTOBER 2022 SUMMER TRANS/EUROPE 2-May- Fort Lauderdale Transatlantic Sea, Sea Mallorca, Sea, Sea, Canary Islands: Turkey& GreekIslands (Civitayechia) Turkey Naples/Capri (Msi), Greece: Santorini Greece: Kusadasi), Athens (Piraeus), 10 Croatia& (Civitavecchia) 28-Oct-22 Sea, Greece: Corfu Greece: Olympia Katakolon), Croatia: Dubrovnik, Italy: Capri, Spezia), Cartegena, Lanzarote"

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

As I wrote before, if Reflection is going into drydock/maintenance, the question is where? Celebrity/RCL were using the Bahamas prior tot he damage  there, and the ships then were sent to Spain’s shipyard.
Either the CDC must lift the 7 sail restriction or maybe Celebrity is ferrying(using another empty ship during the 4/16 - 4/18)  everyone to the Bahamas and leaving from there.

Hal

Sorry about barging into this thread - And still nothing about the INFINITY, I presume?? As we're rather cut off from news - no real information on the website.... - we're still waiting for information about "Infinity" to be revolutionized or at least renovated.

We have been looking at some cruises in 2022 - at quite ambitious prices - but don't want to sail on her in her current condition and don't want to book yet.

6 hours ago, grayjay said:

Sorry about barging into this thread - And still nothing about the INFINITY, I presume?? As we're rather cut off from news - no real information on the website.... - we're still waiting for information about "Infinity" to be revolutionized or at least renovated.

We have been looking at some cruises in 2022 - at quite ambitious prices - but don't want to sail on her in her current condition and don't want to book yet.

A routine dry dock historically is about 12-14 days.

15 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

There are itineraries in July and August.

Image may contain: outdoor, text that says "Celebrity Xcruises Cruises® Wonder RETURNS NEWWORLDISWAITING Discover our new season of award-winning sailings CELEBRITY REFLECTION® Date Nights Description Ports Islands, APRIL 2022 OCTOBER 2022 SUMMER TRANS/EUROPE 2-May- Fort Lauderdale Transatlantic Sea, Sea Mallorca, Sea, Sea, Canary Islands: Turkey& GreekIslands (Civitayechia) Turkey Naples/Capri (Msi), Greece: Santorini Greece: Kusadasi), Athens (Piraeus), 10 Croatia& (Civitavecchia) 28-Oct-22 Sea, Greece: Corfu Greece: Olympia Katakolon), Croatia: Dubrovnik, Italy: Capri, Spezia), Cartegena, Lanzarote"

Thanks CW--I went thru the website under the "reflection" and that's where I saw the gaping schedule hole.

That brings the dry dock back to before April  18, I think. And hope.

Communication from Celebrity could be better, especially during a crisis like this they did not cause, but got stuck with big time.

I understand the cash crunch, but RCL "missed the boat" so to speak, as we all know, they could have taken the down time on the 6 or so ships to be "updated in one way or another" and get back in return 12 or more revenue producing cruises. Obviously there were/are factors not known to the public, however, to be able to put out there the 6 or so ships "refreshed" is a selling point.

And I am hoping some of the ambitious pricing will bring better food and other service viz a viz quality of the food to bring Celebrity back to where it once was, and I think Celebrity is trying to place itself at a different level between the big cruise companies and the smaller luxury ones.

I guess we will see. I have 2 new bookings on Celebrity and one on RCL.

13 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Thanks CW--I went thru the website under the "reflection" and that's where I saw the gaping schedule hole.

That brings the dry dock back to before April  18, I think. And hope.

Communication from Celebrity could be better, especially during a crisis like this they did not cause, but got stuck with big time.

I understand the cash crunch, but RCL "missed the boat" so to speak, as we all know, they could have taken the down time on the 6 or so ships to be "updated in one way or another" and get back in return 12 or more revenue producing cruises. Obviously there were/are factors not known to the public, however, to be able to put out there the 6 or so ships "refreshed" is a selling point.

And I am hoping some of the ambitious pricing will bring better food and other service viz a viz quality of the food to bring Celebrity back to where it once was, and I think Celebrity is trying to place itself at a different level between the big cruise companies and the smaller luxury ones.

I guess we will see. I have 2 new bookings on Celebrity and one on RCL.

As a strange follow up to this all, I just looked at future JUly and Aug 2020 Europe cruises via the "filters"  at the main page under find a cruise and the July and August cruises are there for reflection.

I also think all the early 2022 cruises are still open for new bookings.

which begs the question of just when will they do the early 2022 drydock?

On the higher price issues, I have not seen this discussed n the CC boards but I do not have the time to read it all, but I bet a lot of addl cost is due to new CDC and self imposed management aspects of the virus or any virus to be sure.

And  with one pricing for "luxury" on Celebrity, a higher commission for outside agents since ther is less and less upsell. I took the indulge package and with that comes 800 of OBC for things like excursions which we might have gone a less expensive way before. On the other hand as we get older, the simpler the better.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, HS2BS said:

Hal

Hal - You do understand there are only a handful of drydock that can accept cruise ships.  They work on a tight schedule, however things are found during routine maintenance that requires extra time and the schedule gets pushed back or the next ships is cancelled and put into the next open slot.  You also have periodic labor problems in Spain that caused issues there in 2019.

Routine maintenance is routine until something necessary and unexpected is discovered.  

On 12/25/2020 at 10:38 PM, HMR74 said:

In a perfect world, sure, but their unknown financials along with supply chain struggles, materials and labor shortages, travel and quarantine requirements for workers, etc. probably tossed any hope of that out the window. 

I wouldn't even put much stock in the estimate dry dock schedules. A whole lot can change in the next year. 

On 12/25/2020 at 1:22 PM, grayjay said:

How bad is the Infinity?  I was thinking to sail on her Nov 21?  I've been on Equinox which was nice.

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

In a perfect world, sure, but their unknown financials along with supply chain struggles, materials and labor shortages, travel and quarantine requirements for workers, etc. probably tossed any hope of that out the window. 

I wouldn't even put much stock in the estimate dry dock schedules. A whole lot can change in the next year. 

Illness from Covid 19 has already affected not only dry dock schedules, but the new builds as well. Many of these activities have been pushed back already, so you are correct, that people need to be flexible and expect possible changes or delays.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

We had booked the Infinity for transatlantic 2021. We assumed it would not sail, so last week we did a lift and shift to the Reflection 2022 transatlantic. Our TA was able to get the same price with all of our perks, so we were happy. Two days later we get an email from Celebrity saying they mistakenly booked us and their would be no cruise as the Reflection would be taking over a different ship’s itinerary.  They could book us on another cruise at “prevailing rates”.  Ha!  We all know what that means!  So we are out of luck and can’t afford the twice as expensive prevailing rates of other TA ships. Not happy.  

4 minutes ago, Cruzmama said:

We had booked the Infinity for transatlantic 2021. We assumed it would not sail, so last week we did a lift and shift to the Reflection 2022 transatlantic. Our TA was able to get the same price with all of our perks, so we were happy. Two days later we get an email from Celebrity saying they mistakenly booked us and their would be no cruise as the Reflection would be taking over a different ship’s itinerary.  They could book us on another cruise at “prevailing rates”.  Ha!  We all know what that means!  So we are out of luck and can’t afford the twice as expensive prevailing rates of other TA ships. Not happy.  

Are you open to RCL TA's?  We are not but they do have lower pricing on 14 day TA's.  I looked at one in April 2022 was roughly $11k US which is about $2k less than a similar suite on Celebrity TA for same period.

10 minutes ago, Cruzmama said:

Why do you assume it won't sail?  Everything I've read seems like conjecture.  Have you seen something from X that it won't sail?  I've always thought it will get replaced with same class of ship, probably not revolutionized. 

I’m just speculating about the Infinity.  Right now it’s sitting somewhere off the coast of Greece.  The January, February Caribbean cruises in the Caribbean have been canceled, and I just feel that March is not far behind. I find it unlikely that the ship would sail all the way across the Atlantic for a few cruises, then head back for the European cruise season.  Certainly not fact, just my feeling. Also, this cruise has disappeared from the ***** website, which of course, doesn’t mean it has been canceled yet.

1 hour ago, Cruzmama said:

I was on the phone 2 hours ago with Celebrity and RF is doing the Apt 18th 2022 Trans Atl to Rome.

I thought L&S was to have ability to shift to similar cruise the next year keeping price the same. Perhaps the "same cruise" also means same ship?

16 minutes ago, Cruzmama said:

I’m just speculating about the Infinity.  Right now it’s sitting somewhere off the coast of Greece.  The January, February Caribbean cruises in the Caribbean have been canceled, and I just feel that March is not far behind. I find it unlikely that the ship would sail all the way across the Atlantic for a few cruises, then head back for the European cruise season.  Certainly not fact, just my feeling. Also, this cruise has disappeared from the ***** website, which of course, doesn’t mean it has been canceled yet.

Celebrity has 2 2021 TA's for Infinity on the website, April and Dec.