Royal app to charge $1.99/day to use messaging service?

So I’m currently on QoS out of Singapore on the cruise to nowhere.  

When you open the Royal app and go to its messaging service it’s no longer free!  

I don’t know if this is going to be limited to Asia routes or is a trial run but I have not seen any information on this anywhere else. 

Here’s a screenshot of the new page. 

C5709281-5377-4866-9DAE-BECBA51BF6BB.png

• Haha 1

QoS charges for North Star too so it's not that surprising.

Although you had to know when they put 3 years into the development of the chat feature they were going to find a way to monetize it. 

I am getting frustrated with Royal's snail pace deployment of technology.  By the time they mention it to the time of offering it is multiple years.  They've set the technology lifecycle too long.  By the time they are able to get it built and deployed the concept is outdated.  Technology has to be fast and agile.  That just isn't the RCG.

It seems to me like Princess is the cruise line to embrace if technology is your thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This does not necessarily mean they will charge for cruises sailing from other areas.  Cruises from Asia typically charge for many of the products that are complimentary elsewhere. 

Yes I would think it’s an easy option for them to turn this feature on or off as they see the need. 

8 hours ago, Sail n Snow said:

So I’m currently on QoS out of Singapore on the cruise to nowhere.  

When you open the Royal app and go to its messaging service it’s no longer free!  

I don’t know if this is going to be limited to Asia routes or is a trial run but I have not seen any information on this anywhere else. 

Here’s a screenshot of the new page. 

C5709281-5377-4866-9DAE-BECBA51BF6BB.png

One more reason to toss the phone in the safe when on board

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My husband and I get internet packages for work so we email each other.  My phone will never be in a safe.  I heard this was only on the newer ships though?  I wonder if they are making you pay now, will this be free if you have an internet package?  I am just speculating here, no inside info.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

My husband and I get internet packages for work so we email each other.  My phone will never be in a safe.  I heard this was only on the newer ships though?  I wonder if they are making you pay now, will this be free if you have an internet package?  I am just speculating here, no inside info.

We have the internet package and this still showed up. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sail n Snow said:

We have the internet package and this still showed up. 

wow.  It should be free.  Why would anyone pay for that with an internet package?  You can instant message with Facebook or snapchat with the internet.  Plus send emails.  

So this is just for the CHAT feature not the app itself, correct?  Granted it really isnt that much extra given some of the prices that we pay for cruises let alone the internet packages but its just the principle of it.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

depends....if you have an iPhone, you can iMessage.  However, if it is multiple different phones, than it is an actual text and you would need it.  The only person I would text is my wife, and we both have iPhones.  

1 minute ago, Joseph2017China said:

depends....if you have an iPhone, you can iMessage.  However, if it is multiple different phones, than it is an actual text and you would need it.  The only person I would text is my wife, and we both have iPhones.  

Yes this is only for the messaging service within the app.  Also there are so many other services you could get , WhatsApp, signal, telegram, Facebook messenger....

Hopefully it’s just a trial run and no one buys it!

Competitive position.... NCL charges for messaging so why not.

You are right - if all family members have Internet package you don't need messaging.

On NCL,  you only get one device to access Internet at a time so we have to add messaging to contact each other.  Messaging is also good for large groups or people who want to be in touch because they met on the roll call!

12 hours ago, twangster said:

QoS charges for North Star too so it's not that surprising.

Although you had to know when they put 3 years into the development of the chat feature they were going to find a way to monetize it. 

I am getting frustrated with Royal's snail pace deployment of technology.  By the time they mention it to the time of offering it is multiple years.  They've set the technology lifecycle too long.  By the time they are able to get it built and deployed the concept is outdated.  Technology has to be fast and agile.  That just isn't the RCG.

It seems to me like Princess is the cruise line to embrace if technology is your thing.

Hopefully it’s included with Suites. 😇

M8

• Like 1

We pay for a wifi package so it's not a big deal for us. However I think $2 a day is a reasonable rate to stay connected especially when you are traveling in a large group and with children. People were booking Cabana's for a few hours on Coco Cay at a prices over $1000 and drink packages at $70 plus. This seems like a bargain for the convenience.  

Edited by Iamcruzin

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This does not necessarily mean they will charge for cruises sailing from other areas.  Cruises from Asia typically charge for many of the products that are complementary elsewhere. 

In this time of financial burden they would be foolish not to charge. It's a reasonable price. I just hope the WiFi prices continue to be reasonable. I don't think anyone would pay for this service on Princess or Celebrity as their demographic is the flip phone generation.  I think Royal Caribbean passengers traveling with children would pay for it without batting an eye. It's a less expensive option than buying a family WiFi package. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

The old IQ app charged $7.95 per cruise for chat IIRC.  

At $2 per day that's $14 for a 7 night cruise for a 176% price increase.  

For a family of four the old app would have been $31.80..  Now that will be $56.  

So much for the promise it will be free on all ships in the fleet.  

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Hopefully it’s included with Suites. 😇

M8

Didn't the old app require suite guests pay the $8 per cruise charge for chat?

Sky class comes with free internet so they can use native chat apps amongst themselves but what if they have friends or family in a non-suite cabin?

Edited by twangster

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Why do you email each other and not send a text? Our phones are never in the safe either but that has more to do with them being a camera and the other functions.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

The old IQ app charged $7.95 per cruise for chat IIRC.  

At $2 per day that's $14 for a 7 night cruise for a 176% price increase.  

For a family of four the old app would have been $31.80..  Now that will be $56.  

So much for the promise it will be free on all ships in the fleet.  

Most of them book Kids sail Free so I'm sure the $56 isn't going to even phase them. Prices go up. It's a way of life and I would expect that once we are past this pandemic we will be in for many more on board price hikes.

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Most of them book Kids sail Free so I'm sure the $56 isn't going to even phase them. Prices go up. It's a way of life and I would expect that once we are past this pandemic we will be in for many more on board price hikes.

"Most of them book KSF" ?

KSF is great when it's available.  A 30% to 50% increase to book into a cabin that accommodate a family is better than the normal uplift for 3rd and 4th guests.  

However most families don't get KSF.  Most family cruisers pay for their kids.  

13 hours ago, twangster said:

It's wasted on that line. There were so many threads on that board about being tracked with the Medallion. They just don't understand or want the technology. They are happy using a yellow highlighter to mark events in the Princess Patter.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

"Most of them book KSF" ?

KSF is great when it's available.  A 30% to 50% increase to book into a cabin that accommodate a family is better than the normal uplift for 3rd and 4th guests.  

However most families don't get KSF.  Most family cruisers pay for their kids.  

When following this board you would think otherwise.  Honestly I never believed kids actually sail free but I'm not willing to argue that point.  

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

It's wasted on that line. There were so many threads on that board about being tracked with the Medallion. They just don't understand or want the technology. They are happy using a yellow highlighter to mark events in the Princess Patter.

That is quite a generalization and stereotype being used however I don't believe it's accurate.  Neither is the same generalization you labelled Celebrity guests with in post 17.  

• Like 4