Mailing warm clothing home from Sidney, Australia

BVILady

Will be going on a world cruise in January 2022. The first 3 weeks we will need serious winter-clothing but when we reach back to Europe it will be early summer. I assume that there will be quite some clothing I will not like to carry around with me getting off the ship and spending a few extra days in Europe. We will have 1/2 a day in Sidney and was wondering whether there is a possibility close to the cruise dock to mail clothing home. I have gotten off a cruise in Sidney but don't remember the cruise terminal, just got in a taxi to my hotel and didn't pay any attention. We will also stop in Singapore and Hong Kong, which might be a possibility but didn't want to take time away from the possibility of excursions even we have stayed in both places before. Another option for me, living in the Caribbean might be St. Lucia but again not familiar with the Port.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sydney has 2 cruise terminals - OPT is a Circular Quay and the Opera House, next to the CBD. White Bay is under the Bridge past the old Pyrmont Docks and is a water taxi or bus back to the CBD.

You can try Luggage Forward, who we used for our last WC and will use them again in '23.

• Like 1

St Lucia would mean either lugging the clothing around the bay to the post office or taxi ride. Certainly walkable, but we’ve always done it without clothing in tow. (At least at the pier which we have docked at many times) There is a pier right next to the post office. 

• Like 1

Just a particular recommendation. We were in S. American a year ago exactly so began in winter, then summer and then winter again. I used a compression bag for my knee length down jacket. Then at the end of the trip used it again for dirty laundry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BVILady said:

I assume that there will be quite some clothing I will not like to carry around with me getting off the ship and spending a few extra days in Europe. 

Luggage Forward (as mentioned) or similar can pick your luggage up from the ship when you finish your cruise and hold it or deliver it to your home while you enjoy the rest of your vacation.  No sense in spending your time doing that during the cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Luggage Forward (as mentioned) or similar can pick your luggage up from the ship when you finish your cruise and hold it or deliver it to your home while you enjoy the rest of your vacation.  No sense in spending your time doing that during the cruise.

What kinda money are we talking about for this? Sounds appealing.

44 minutes ago, clo said:

What kinda money are we talking about for this? Sounds appealing.

Varies greatly based on shipping distance and whether the cruise line negotiates a discount with them. From London to Vancouver, with Viking's discount, I believe it was between CAN $ 300 - 400 per bag.

• Thanks 1

Thank you every one, that has been a big help, luggage forward seems to be the thing to use and from my finale destination just in case I need to use anything again. For whoever is interested I found another option sendmybag.com. Cruise Critic is just amazing, I had found Dayuse through them when we needed a place to stash our luggage in Hong Kong waiting for a late flight and were so happy to be able to shower and change before our trip, I have used dayuse quite a lot since then and am still grateful for the members recommending it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Here's an idea: I always seem to have at least one too many coats in my closet. Why don't you bring coats/hats/gloves that you wouldn't mind getting rid of or donating?  

My first thought when reading the threadtitle was, bring something cheap and throw it away because it probably cost a lot to send it home. I like your donating suggestion.    

26 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

My first thought when reading the threadtitle was, bring something cheap and throw it away because it probably cost a lot to send it home. I like your donating suggestion.    

But where does one donate? Easier said than done in many places.

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I can't answer without knowing where in Europe the OP will disembark but I really can't believe that it's hard to find out, use google? 

Oh, it probably isn't hard to find a place but then how do you get there and back.? We have a few organizations that we donate to. Some aren't open weekends, none are open nights, one is Tues., Weds., Thurs. when they're serving dinner outside to the homeless and near homeless. It would be great but seems like it would be tough.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, it probably isn't hard to find a place but then how do you get there and back.? We have a few organizations that we donate to. Some aren't open weekends, none are open nights, one is Tues., Weds., Thurs. when they're serving dinner outside to the homeless and near homeless. It would be great but seems like it would be tough.

As I said I can't answer without knowing where the OP disembark. I googled about donations in Barcelona and found Humana. They have 5000 containers around Spain where clothes can be donated and serveral are located in central parts of Barcelona where most tourists pass so easy to donate there.   

• Thanks 1

Thank you all very much for your thoughts. Donating is kind of out of the question since I do live in the British Virgin Islands and have to mail-order warm clothing. Sometimes until the item reaches here freight and duty are again more then the cost of the item. And then there is already a loss with items which are not fitting right or don't look the way they are pictured and therefore get donated right here for people who might leave the island.  Have been before only for a few days in cold climate so the few pieces of nice enough layers I do have will not be sufficient. We are going to be disembarking in Venice (or Trieste) not sure where Costa will be since Venice wants to stop Cruise ships. So all the warm clothing will need to reach back home for me to have when needed again, not to have to start shopping by mail again. And I sure hope to be around for lots of more years to travel. And I keep my fingers crossed that this cruise will happen, since our last 2 cruises this summer were cancelled. Wanted to re book for 2021 and am sure I have lost the deposit on the river-cruise in Portugal for August again and didn't even book the other 2021 cruise yet. Stupid Corona GO AWAY.

Assuming you are on the Costa Deliziosa from Barcelona to Venice.  Looking at the itinerary, I can't see where you are going to need 'serious winter clothing' for three weeks.  Yes, in Barcelona and Malaga, not sure about Casablanca...But in five days, you will be in the Canaries, and Europeans go there in the winter like North Americans go to the Caribbean.  And the next stop, 11 days in,  is St. Lucia.  So where are the three weeks you will need serious winter clothing?  One heavier pair pants, a sweatshirt, a puffer down jacket that packs into a pouch and takes up very little space in luggage...Are you a serious overpacker?  Over thinker?  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Essiesmom, I am on Deliziosa but boarding in Venice (or Trieste, not sure). So we will be 3 days before boarding in Italy arriving on the 5th of January. Bad experience in the past with lost luggage has taught me that. I doubt that the climate in Tenerife will be warm enough for me so I will be in my climate range on the 26th of January when we reach St. Lucia. Not sure how cold the Atlantic Crossing will be, have not done that before. And I live in the Tropics. Right now here is winter when our Tourists are frolicking in the the ocean and pools. For us locals it is much too cold and you will only find young local people in the water. I have been told your blood gets thinner living in a hot climate. I have had incidents when people just moving to the island were secretly laughing behind my back because I wouldn't go in the water and had to admit a year later that now they understood. So right now I am sleeping with a comforter (night temperature here 78 F).  So I need quite some warm clothes the last thing I need is getting sick on my trip. Many years ago I have been working in the Fashion business and still want to be comfortable with my looks especially being on a ship with Italians :).  Like your sense of humor listing the Staten Island Ferry, Weehawken Ferry (where is that?) and Hong Kong Star Ferry under cruising experience.

The Weehawken Ferry sails from Weehawken, NJ across the Hudson River to Manhattan a few blocks below the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.  I believe it also stops a few other places on the west side of Manhattan.  I suppose I could also list the Circle Line, which does tourist cruises circling Manhattan...

I understand your problem from the opposite direction.  I grew up in a colder/temperate climate and would put on a sweater when it was 80 degrees...  When I started thyroid supplements that eased a bit, but then I spent three winters in northern Bavaria.  Could not afford to heat my apartment more than 65 in the warmest room.  63 in the bedroom.  When the army sent me to southern Georgia, I found I couldn't tolerate the heat.  When the temp indoors got up over 70, I was turning the a/c colder.  After more than 40 years I have adjusted, and wouldn't mind the a/c at 78, but my housemates (sister & niece) moved down from the same colder climate six years ago and would dearly love temps to be 68!    Compromise...ceiling fans...EM