What kind of things can I ask my butler to do?

fluffybunny22

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Sorry no you are incorrect American is streaky bacon from the side area and our back bacon is typically from the loin. You may have been unlucky with the “salty” as I am not in favour of that. If I buy a ham it is soaked for an hour or two before cooking to remove excess saltiness 

Liz

Liz, I agree with you about bacon coming form the side area.  Still, my impression of the English bacon was that is was more like poor quality ham.

14 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Liz, I agree with you about bacon coming form the side area.  Still, my impression of the English bacon was that is was more like poor quality ham.

You have obviously not had decent English bacon. Not sure how often you've had English bacon to make that sweeping statement. The stuff I buy at home has never been what I describe as poor quality ham.  And I much prefer it to the crispy American bacon.  Personal taste of course. 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

You have obviously not had decent English bacon. Not sure how often you've had English bacon to make that sweeping statement. The stuff I buy at home has never been what I describe as poor quality ham.  And I much prefer it to the crispy American bacon.  Personal taste of course. 

Phil 

You definitely wouldn’t describe the “ proper English bacon “ we buy from our local butchers as poor quality ham.

45 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Even from my Sainsbury's supermarket it's not poor quality ham!

Phil 

We have traveled a lot in the UK, spending several weeks in the past 5-6 years.  We stayed in top B&Bs or 4 star smaller hotels that had fantastic breakfasts.  Just didn't like the English bacon.

3 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

You definitely wouldn’t describe the “ proper English bacon “ we buy from our local butchers as poor quality ham.

Proper bacon is thick and peppery.  And not cooked to a crisp.  My opinion of course.  🙂

Unpack or pack your suitcases.  He can also get things fixed....sew on a button, fix a broken wheel on a suitcase. get you extra towels and toiletries,  press clothing without sending it to the regular laundry, shine shoes,  bring your favorite foods at any time and bring them to any place, make spa and restaurant reservations, reserve shore excursions, get info on the various ports, pickup or return library books, clean glasses, etc.

Many of these can be done by the regular cabin stewards and room service.

3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We have traveled a lot in the UK, spending several weeks in the past 5-6 years.  We stayed in top B&Bs or 4 star smaller hotels that had fantastic breakfasts.  Just didn't like the English bacon.

Better stick to an Egg McMuffin for breakfast then if you come here again. Lol 

Phil 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have not read all of the responses to your question.  But here is my take.  We love a suite.  After several cruises with my sister and mom I finally convinced my husband to go on one.  Of course I booked a suite and he has never been happy with anything else.  However, it must be said that with every cruise the butler experience can vary widely.   We have been in a royal suite with a butler that was no better than my best room steward in AQ class and have had fabulous butlers in a Sky Suite (and not so fabulous ones as well).  My advice is to not expect too much or you’ll be frustrated/annoyed which is not what you want on a cruise!  We are easy going and self sufficient so the butler never makes or breaks our trip.  They can most definitely elevate the experience though (just don’t count on it).  

7 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

I have not read all of the responses to your question.  But here is my take.  We love a suite.  After several cruises with my sister and mom I finally convinced my husband to go on one.  Of course I booked a suite and he has never been happy with anything else.  However, it must be said that with every cruise the butler experience can vary widely.   We have been in a royal suite with a butler that was no better than my best room steward in AQ class and have had fabulous butlers in a Sky Suite (and not so fabulous ones as well).  My advice is to not expect too much or you’ll be frustrated/annoyed which is not what you want on a cruise!  We are easy going and self sufficient so the butler never makes or breaks our trip.  They can most definitely elevate the experience though (just don’t count on it).  

Our Sky suite on an S class the butler was less than useless, we saw him the first day and once when we asked him to pick up some laundry, another time we came back to the room and he was watching tv!!  Our friends on the other side of the deck had a butler that couldn't do enough for them laundry every other day pressed clothes the works. On CS and RS cruises I feel they are more attentive and you can ask for more things.

Liz

I've mostly been in sky suites, and have grown into having a butler.  On our first one, we once asked him to change a reservation for specialty dinner.  I think he felt so bad that he stopped by one morning at breakfast to see if we needed anything.  He also left us a bottle of wine.

Next time was with my sister, and we ran into some friends who wanted to see a sky suite.  I simply asked our butler to bring 4 wine classes (we had a bottle in the room) and instead of the little plate of 4 appetizers, a plate of cheese and crackers.  We came back and in addition to the wine glasses there was a bottle of champagne, a charcuterie plate, chocolate covered strawberries and a shrimp platter.

Next time, I had him bring coffee every morning, a few lattes and some cookies.  

In addition to the butler, on our first sky suite cruise, we had a problem with the toilet not flushing when we were on our way to dinner.  When I couldn't immediately reach the front desk, I called the Michaels club concierge.  They got it taken care of.  It worked for a while, but happened again.  The next day, one of the concierges came over to us and presented us with a 500.00 FCC voucher to use on our next cruise.  

Once you're in a suite, it's hard to go back.

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Unpack or pack your suitcases.  He can also get things fixed....sew on a button, fix a broken wheel on a suitcase. get you extra towels and toiletries,  press clothing without sending it to the regular laundry, shine shoes,  bring your favorite foods at any time and bring them to any place, make spa and restaurant reservations, reserve shore excursions, get info on the various ports, pickup or return library books, clean glasses, etc.

Many of these can be done by the regular cabin stewards and room service.

Very few guests want the butler to pack or unpack. I believe if you do want this service you need to be present.

Re “bring your favourite foods at any time and to any place...”. Generally your butler only delivers and serves items on the room service menu and from the MDR menu when the MDR is open. This service is usually to your room. It would not be standard practice to contact your butler and request him to deliver food to you elsewhere in the ship. Obviously, afternoon snacks ‘delectable delights’ are also available as is afternoon tea on request (generally served in Michael’s/Retreat). 

Whilst Butlers are always keen to offer the best service to you receiving food from Luminae or the speciality restaurants are an exception not the rule. If we have ever wanted something other than general room service food we have discussed it with the butler in advance (even when staying in higher suite rooms). 

I am not saying that if you are you want to enjoy a special meal one night on your balcony you cannot ask your butler for something ‘above and beyond’ usual service but it should not be seen as standard.

Totally agree with this, they have other guests to attend to but will endeavor to help. 

Whilst Butlers are always keen to offer the best service to you receiving food from Luminae or the speciality restaurants are an exception not the rule. If we have ever wanted something other than general room service food we have discussed it with the butler in advance (even when staying in higher suite rooms).

am not saying that if you are you want to enjoy a special meal one night on your balcony you cannot ask your butler for something ‘above and beyond’ usual service but it should not be seen as standard.

Edited by emmas gran
addition

6 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Never seen or had an American butler, but they will bring bread or toast and bacon, you make it yourself. 

And would that be with cheap ham like English  salty bacon, or all too 

crispy crunchy side of piggy bacon ?

Edited by Manchester is blue
Mis spelt