Yacht Club Questions(1st Time MSC)

Dsciorti

Just recently booked my first cruise on MSC Seashore in the yacht club. However I have seen multiple answers to this question. 

I understand the drink package is included but can we enjoy those drinks outside of yacht club areas? Also what package is included and is there list of the liquors included in that package? 

We are used to the celebrity cruises list. 

Did a search of Topics and came up with this, but unlike Celebrity if your drink is over the $12 charge I believe you pay the full amount 

Posted June 8

It is the Premium package for bars outside the YC. Drinks up to$12 are included

•  

7 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Did a search of Topics and came up with this, but unlike Celebrity if your drink is over the $12 charge I believe you pay the full amount 

Posted June 8

•  

So...the #1 rule with MSC is that there are no rules. Everything depends on the day, ship, and who you are dealing with. So you can literally have to pay for a drink one day and then get that same drink free the next.

The rule is, indeed, that anything over a certain amount you pay the full price and not the difference, but what that limit is is what varies. I, personally, have never been charged for a drink anywhere on the ship...but I know from posts here others have.

I think unless you order something very special and specific (high end wine, scotch, etc.) you will not be charged.

An equally important question for you to ask is...are the gelato and crepes free? The answer...see the #1 rule above 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is no longer a list of included drinks for any of the MSC drinks packages, it is all done by dollar amount.  Outside of the Yacht Club you will be treated as having the Premium package with a $12 limit.  As mentioned above, higher priced drinks are not covered and you will pay full price.  This can cause some confusion because some drinks available inside the YC will not be available in other venues outside of the YC, this can be particularly a problem with wines in the specialty restaurants.  I'll attach the old drinks packages list from late 2018 that will give you an idea of what was included, YC had the Deluxe package.  Just be aware that MSC changes the prices and not all on this old list may still be included - Hendrick's gin is an example that is no longer included in the YC package.  If you want the real high end Champagne and liquors you can upgrade to the Premium Plus package for $17pp per day, if desired do so before boarding the ship as once on the ship a 15% gratuity will be added.

2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide with Drinks On Us (Version2).pdf

Edited by Até
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alyssamma said:

So...the #1 rule with MSC is that there are no rules. Everything depends on the day, ship, and who you are dealing with. So you can literally have to pay for a drink one day and then get that same drink free the next.

The rule is, indeed, that anything over a certain amount you pay the full price and not the difference, but what that limit is is what varies. I, personally, have never been charged for a drink anywhere on the ship...but I know from posts here others have.

I think unless you order something very special and specific (high end wine, scotch, etc.) you will not be charged.

An equally important question for you to ask is...are the gelato and crepes free? The answer...see the #1 rule above 🙂

Thank you so much. I will keep rule #1 in mind. 

1 hour ago, Até said:

There is no longer a list of included drinks for any of the MSC drinks packages, it is all done by dollar amount.  Outside of the Yacht Club you will be treated as having the Premium package with a $12 limit.  As mentioned above, higher priced drinks are not covered and you will pay full price.  This can cause some confusion because some drinks available inside the YC will not be available in other venues outside of the YC, this can be particularly a problem with wines in the specialty restaurants.  I'll attach the old drinks packages list from late 2018 that will give you an idea of what was included, YC had the Deluxe package.  Just be aware that MSC changes the prices and not all on this old list may still be included - Hendrick's gin is an example that is no longer included in the YC package.  If you want the real high end Champagne and liquors you can upgrade to the Premium Plus package for $17pp per day, if desired do so before boarding the ship as once on the ship a 15% gratuity will be added.

2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide with Drinks On Us (Version2).pdf 233.19 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you so much.  And good tip about the Premium Plus package.

11 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Posted June 8

•  

Thank you that is why I asked. When I did a search there were so many different answers. 

3 hours ago, Até said:

2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide with Drinks On Us (Version2).pdf 233.19 kB · 5 downloads

Again. As u said, different ship/day different rules.    Have upgraded previously to PP+ but on Seashore next year, no option to do so.     

Hi, @Dsciorti:

First of it all; be very welcome to the forum!...

MSC is an Italian line. They've started primarily cruising here in Europe. Almost all what the previous colleagues here in the forum have said is true. Note though that MSC works differently from region to region. In the US and South American sailings you'll see the prices in USD, but if you come to Europe, or the Middle East, then you'll find all things priced in EUR. Trade marks availability may vary depending on region as well.

Regarding the packages you'll have the Premium one that, despite the currency will give you access to almost 95% of what is sold aboard, so basically anything else except for those very special and expensive spirits, wines, champagnes and some occasional specific drinks here and there. If you're interested on those you can add the Premium Plus one.

Do note all of this is coming from before the pandemic. They may change terms and conditions at any moment.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Hi, @Dsciorti:

First of it all; be very welcome to the forum!...

MSC is an Italian line. They've started primarily cruising here in Europe. Almost all what the previous colleagues here in the forum have said is true. Note though that MSC works differently from region to region. In the US and South American sailings you'll see the prices in USD, but if you come to Europe, or the Middle East, then you'll find all things priced in EUR. Trade marks availability may vary depending on region as well.

Regarding the packages you'll have the Premium one that, despite the currency will give you access to almost 95% of what is sold aboard, so basically anything else except for those very special and expensive spirits, wines, champagnes and some occasional specific drinks here and there. If you're interested on those you can add the Premium Plus one.

Do note all of this is coming from before the pandemic. They may change terms and conditions at any moment.

Have a nice day!...

Thank you so much!! We can’t wait to give MSC a try. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcoigna said:

Have upgraded previously to PP+ but on Seashore next year, no option to do so.     

I tend to not be as impressed with the YC drinks package as I was a few years ago but so far I haven't upgraded from the YC package, others on board did and seemed happy with their choice.  I'm sure you are aware that in order to upgrade it must be done through an MSC or TA agent on the phone but wanted to add that information for the OP.  Like you, so far no drink package options have been added online to my Seashore Spring 2022 sailings and frequently the agents cannot add the option to the booking until it appears as available in the website "Manage Your Booking" area.  I make YC bookings very early and do try making any add-ons as soon as possible due to the price often increasing before sailing.  If you ask they will let you add the item to your booking and lock in the price and not make any payments until final payment date.  I've been able to do this with internet, laundry, specialty dining and Cirque shows where over a year later closer to sail date the price had significantly increased.

Edited by Até
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Até said:

I tend to not be as impressed with the YC drinks package as I was a few years ago but so far I haven't upgraded from the YC package, others on board did and seemed happy with their choice.  I'm sure you are aware that in order to upgrade it must be done through an MSC or TA agent on the phone but wanted to add that information for the OP.  Like you, so far no drink package options have been added online to my Seashore Spring 2022 sailings and frequently the agents cannot add the option to the booking until it appears as available in the website "Manage Your Booking" area.  I make YC bookings very early and do try making any add-ons as soon as possible due to the price often increasing before sailing.  If you ask they will let you add the item to your booking and lock in the price and not make any payments until final payment date.  I've been able to do this with internet, laundry, specialty dining and Cirque shows where over a year later closer to sail date the price had significantly increased.

Typically how far in advance can I start adding things to our cruise. We don’t sail till 10/29/2022 so we have plenty of time. 

Your booking should be viewable by logging in to the MSC website as early as 24 hours after making the booking.  There is also a link to add the booking to your account manually.  Items like laundry and internet packages appear fairly quickly, depending on how common the itinerary things like excursions and beverage packages may take longer.  On Seashore the specialty restaurants and special shows may not show up for quite some time.  I have an Fall 2021 booking that has all add-ons available, unfortunately it's just down to when the MSC programmers get around to adding them to the sailing.  For late Fall of 2022 it might be a while so just keep checking back.

ETA: There are two ways to log in to your booking on the MSC site.  The quick way by using your booking number and name is limited to only add on items.  You would need to create an account with username and password to get full access to all your booking information and see and set up account/personal/check-in details.

Edited by Até

Having done the YC a couple of times in the last 2 years we agree that one never seems to no the rules until onboard.  But with the YC drink package we never have a problem getting drinks anywhere on the ship.  In fact the one negative is that sometimes you cannot get the top shelf stuff available in the YC when you are in another bar.   For example, in the YC's One Lounge I will often drink a VSOP Cognac (usually Remy or Courvoisier).  But when at some of the bars around the ship they may only stock VS.  On the Divina we used to hang out at one bar (because of the band) and once the bar tender realized we were "regulars" he started stocking some VSOPs for me.  

As to upgrading the YC drink package it has never been a consideration since we think the package provides plenty of decent booze.  The one negative is that the wines by the glass (inside the YC) are not up to the quality I expect in the YC.  But there are plenty of drinkable wines...just nothing to make you say "wow."

Hank

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lienf said:

We supposedly get unlimited internet, and if so, what would the reason be to upgrade?

I think the YC currently gets a data limit on the internet, it's up to 4GB depending on cruise length.  I think it may be 2GB for a one week sailing which has always been enough for two of us doing some browsing, checking emails and even making WhatsApp calls.  You can have two devices that use the same account.  I've never seen a price for upgrading to an unlimited package.  MSC has had pretty good deals for adding data amounts if you run out but I haven't sailed since the introduction of these newish unlimited packages.

We sailed in the YC for the first time in January 2020.  We absolutely loved it.  We were on the Divina on which the YC Dining room is away from the YC area.  One night, we had to wait a few minutes for our favorite table and I ordered a glass of champagne. When the bartender realized we were YC members, he stopped pouring the champagne, threw out what he had already poured, got us new glasses and changed bottles saying, "you folks need the good stuff".  We had the regular YC drink package.  We loved the YC experience so much that we booked a B2B for January 2021.  Hopefully, we will get to sail YC again in late 2021.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

One night, we had to wait a few minutes for our favorite table and I ordered a glass of champagne. When the bartender realized we were YC members, he stopped pouring the champagne, threw out what he had already poured, got us new glasses and changed bottles saying, "you folks need the good stuff". 

That's great service!  And, that type of an attitude on the part of the staff was what I experienced when I was outside of the YC.  Having the Black Card that I was awarded because of my patronage with HAL that I connected with my MSC booking, that also made a difference when the bartenders, etc. saw the card.  

I had no interest in a beverage package other than what was standard for YC guests.  Maybe my "tastes" are not discriminating enough?  But, other than not having green Creme de Menthe of any quality, every alcoholic beverage that I chose to order was available and, if it was a cocktail, was well prepared.   

• Like 1

Had to smile at the last post about "Champagne."  The last time we were on the Divina the bar tender in the One (the YC's dedicated lounge) poured a so-so prosecco when we asked for Champagne.  One taste told us this would not be acceptable to our taste because it lacked the depth we expect from a sparkling wine and also had a touch of sweetness.  So we asked if they had French Champagne (Nicholas Feuillet is the norm on MSC) but the bar tender said he had none.  We later ran into the ship's Beverage Manager and suggested that there should be a French Champagne (the only true Champagne) in the One.  A few cases were provided to the One and we were happy campers.

There is nothing wrong with Prosecco, but just like any wine there are some better then others.  With the long stoppage due to COVID it will be interesting to see what is provided in the future.

Hank

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Até said:

I think the YC currently gets a data limit on the internet, it's up to 4GB depending on cruise length.  I think it may be 2GB for a one week sailing which has always been enough for two of us doing some browsing, checking emails and even making WhatsApp calls.  You can have two devices that use the same account.  I've never seen a price for upgrading to an unlimited package.  MSC has had pretty good deals for adding data amounts if you run out but I haven't sailed since the introduction of these newish unlimited packages.

Thanks for your reply. 

10 hours ago, Nashna said:

We sailed in the YC for the first time in January 2020.  We absolutely loved it.  We were on the Divina on which the YC Dining room is away from the YC area.  One night, we had to wait a few minutes for our favorite table and I ordered a glass of champagne. When the bartender realized we were YC members, he stopped pouring the champagne, threw out what he had already poured, got us new glasses and changed bottles saying, "you folks need the good stuff".  We had the regular YC drink package.  We loved the YC experience so much that we booked a B2B for January 2021.  Hopefully, we will get to sail YC again in late 2021.

Has anything else than the cheapest Champagne ( most of the time Nicolas Feuilatte ) ever been included for the YC? Did he give you a Champagne which wasn't included? Do you know which brand it was?

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Has anything else than the cheapest Champagne ( most of the time Nicolas Feuilatte ) ever been included for the YC? Did he give you a Champagne which wasn't included? Do you know which brand it was?

Not in our experience, although we have had a better champagne poured where NF was unavailable at a bar.

34 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Not in our experience, although we have had a better champagne poured where NF was unavailable at a bar.

We were served Mumm at Divina bar the first days on our cruise on Divina. They said that they didn't had any Nicolas Feuilatte on the ship but after e few days it was Nicolas Feuilatte. 

We could not get any Champagne in the Top Sail Lounge the first days because they said that it wasn't included. The Yacht Club manager changed his mind after talking to the beverage manager so we could order Champagne but we never saw anyone else do it in the Top Sail Lounge. Of course I could have paid for Champagne in the Top Sail Lounge but I didn't wanted to do it when it was included at Divina bar.