Summer 2022 deployment

WorldTraveler151208

Recently, Msc announced the deployment of ships and itineraries for the summer of 2022. Some of them can already be booked on their website.  What do you think about that? I am disappointed with the monotony of the itineraries that Msc offers.  I have been loyal to Msc, or actually to Msc Yacht Club, for many years, but slowly I'm getting bored with always the same itineraries from Genoa. I was hoping that with such a rapidly growing fleet Msc would offer something new, for example Alaska, Adriatic Sea from Trieste, Canary Islands, Eastern Canada and New England, whatever new.  Meanwhile, they are putting in Genoa probably a record number of ships, and mainly the new ones with Yacht Clubs, including Seaview, Seaside, Meraviglia, Splendida and some more. Even in this region there are new places to which Msc does not go, or they go very rarely, such as Catania, Murcia, Malaga, Montpellier etc. that would be a more interesting alternative for frequent customers who have seen Naples, Palermo and Barcelona many times. They do the same in the Baltic Region, sailing exactly the same itineraries from Kiel for years, while there are many new places to be explored. To me, it seems that Msc doesn't really care about loyal customers. Another thing that their Voyagers Club loyalty program is also pretty poor compared to, for example, Latitudes by NCL. Do you also have such an impression?

12 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Another thing that their Voyagers Club loyalty program is also pretty poor compared to, for example, Latitudes by NCL. Do you also have such an impression?

What's better with Latitudes? I'm Platinum on NCL and have matched to the highest level on MSC and the only usefull thing, at least when booking a suite, I can think of getting is the free specialty meal which both offer.  

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

What's better with Latitudes? I'm Platinum on NCL and have matched to the highest level on MSC and the only usefull thing, at least when booking a suite, I can think of getting is the free specialty meal which both offer.  

From memory, they give you a rotten bottle of wine and you get two specialty meals plus a bag of laundry....but no chocolate ship, which MSC offer! Certainly nothing there to take you to NCL rather than MSC, IMHO.

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

From memory, they give you a rotten bottle of wine and you get two specialty meals plus a bag of laundry....but no chocolate ship, which MSC offer! Certainly nothing there to take you to NCL rather than MSC, IMHO.

Two meals and a bag of laundry is good.

I think that the "free" wine is okay on NCL but not more and to be honest enough alcohol is included on MSC and I really prefer to order Champagne which normally is included in the Yacht Club on MSC!

I would love to see Alaska added as a choice. Yes, I would book. I have a feeling this line will remain a European line and maybe continue with two ships at least in the US. At one time I hoped for Alaska but now I am thinking it will not happen.

The YC is still way less inexpensive than the Haven. We love the Haven and all it offers but lately since our Europe cruise on the Epic (a ship we love) opted out due to the high price. We are true YC fans and will continue to book the YC unless it too becomes too pricey. (we are retired old folk and enjoy the comforts) The Platinum perks are ok - I admit to being a fan of the free bag of laundry. Now if you stay in a Club Balcony (the old mini-suite) you get a free bag of laundry, the funny thing is the Haven does not. I would a free bag of laundry on MSC since we always enjoy a few days in the cruise embarkation port.

I am with you George C we enjoy the 10% Vet discount.

The NCL meals for upper tiers are actually a joke.  They limit you to what you can order.  So you become Platinum or Plus, spending thousands of dollars, with good chance of more, yet they can't spare $.50 for a side item beyond terms.

FDR is going to have a lot of interest to pay back so they better start looking at service vs dollars if they plan to stay in business.

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

They limit you to what you can order.  So you become Platinum or Plus, spending thousands of dollars, with good chance of more, yet they can't spare $.50 for a side item beyond terms.

MSC also limit what you can order for your "free" meal.

19 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

I would love to see Alaska added as a choice. Yes, I would book. I have a feeling this line will remain a European line and maybe continue with two ships at least in the US. At one time I hoped for Alaska but now I am thinking it will not happen.

Before Covid, Alaska was planned. With so many new ships being built by MSC, they have to put them somewhere. Alaska, NY, Miami were supposed to host 5 (or more) ships total.

For now, nothing is set in stone.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shopping for a Med cruise in 2022, and I too was a little disappointed in the offerings. I did manage to find 2 cruises (May 2-9 & May 10-17) out of Barcelona that caught my eye.  I was thinking it would be nice to do both (they visit different ports, without much overlap. We'd visit Genoa and Marseille twice).  One of the cruises visit Tunisia which I thought was very interesting. It would add a new continent to my travel resume!

21 hours ago, PumpkinPatches said:

One of the cruises visit Tunisia which I thought was very interesting. It would add a new continent to my travel resume!

The last time I was in Tunisia with Costa Concordia in 2010.  Ships have not been sailing there for several years, after those terrorist attacks, and this year, for the first time after a long time Msc will go to port La Goulette -Tunis again.  But from what I remember, it's a pretty nice place to get a first impression of Africa.

As for the monotony of the itineraries, there is the same problem even now.  I was on Grandiosa in December even though I have been in all the ports many times. It was nice.  Now I am thinking about another cruise in February or March, since probably no other ships will be sailing (maybe Magnifica, but I prefer newer ships with YC).  But on the other hand I am not convinced because I am bored of seeing exactly the same ports again.  I know Msc does not have enough customers at the moment to start with another ship, but why don’t they introduce at least some variability in the itinerary?  In my opinion, maybe more people would go and come back on Grandiosa if the itinerary changed a bit.  Why can’t they go to La Spezia, Livorno, maybe Sardinia, or Catania instead of Naples, Palermo and Malta over and over again every week. It would also be wonderful if they swapped the ship, most of the fleet is already in Italy right now including Seaside and Seaview which I love. I even started considering the Costa Deliziosa cruise from Trieste to see some different places, even though we haven't been sailing with Costa for a few years anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 4:10 AM, WorldTraveler151208 said:

As for the monotony of the itineraries, there is the same problem even now.  I was on Grandiosa in December even though I have been in all the ports many times. It was nice.  Now I am thinking about another cruise in February or March, since probably no other ships will be sailing (maybe Magnifica, but I prefer newer ships with YC).  But on the other hand I am not convinced because I am bored of seeing exactly the same ports again.  I know Msc does not have enough customers at the moment to start with another ship, but why don’t they introduce at least some variability in the itinerary?  In my opinion, maybe more people would go and come back on Grandiosa if the itinerary changed a bit.  Why can’t they go to La Spezia, Livorno, maybe Sardinia, or Catania instead of Naples, Palermo and Malta over and over again every week. It would also be wonderful if they swapped the ship, most of the fleet is already in Italy right now including Seaside and Seaview which I love. I even started considering the Costa Deliziosa cruise from Trieste to see some different places, even though we haven't been sailing with Costa for a few years anymore.

I ended up booking with another cruise line.  I really want to visit the Med in 2022 when this virus should be in our rear-view mirrors (let's hope!), but the itineraries just didn't impress me so I made another choice.  I really would expect that MSC (being the MEDITERRANEAN Shipping Company) would have a wide variety of itineraries...

I’m quite surprised that  after signing the deal for the new terminal at Southampton MSC missed the opportunity to send  a smaller ship say either Armonia or Sinfonia on year round ex uk cruises from 2022 taking over CMV’s itineraries. As they both cater to the cheaper end of the market and there is a massive gap in the UK market now waiting for someone to fill it, and a-lot of the dipslaced passengers from CMV will not book on Magnifica’s Southampton cruises as the ships too large for them and the Itineraries are too repetitive and commonplace. I know the style of the itineraries required would be slightly out of MSC’s comfort zone but I personally think they’ve missed an opportunity.

4 hours ago, DM6045 said:

I’m quite surprised that  after signing the deal for the new terminal at Southampton MSC missed the opportunity to send  a smaller ship say either Armonia or Sinfonia on year round ex uk cruises from 2022 taking over CMV’s itineraries. As they both cater to the cheaper end of the market and there is a massive gap in the UK market now waiting for someone to fill it, and a-lot of the dipslaced passengers from CMV will not book on Magnifica’s Southampton cruises as the ships too large for them and the Itineraries are too repetitive and commonplace. I know the style of the itineraries required would be slightly out of MSC’s comfort zone but I personally think they’ve missed an opportunity.

,would be good having another MSC ship ex-uk