The Daily for Friday Jan 8, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, superoma said:

My understanding is that Covid vaccines are free, at least for over 65. But maybe one of our Florida posters can verify that?

It is true. But the Governor wants your tourism $.

Maybe I should visit another County and act touristy, so I can receive the vaccine from my own state.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Correction:  The white wine is Chateau St. Michelle.

2021-01-09 2021-01-09 001 002.JPG

I discovered this at our grocery store last summer ( we have been drinking a lot of wine lately)  and while good, the Chateau Ste. Michelle Sweet Riesling is reminiscent of the wine we loved while living in Germany many years ago!  I still have 2 unopened bottles.  The 2018 vintage is better than 2017...who knew I would become a wine snob?  HAL trained me!

I, too, experienced the horror of bubble bath in the suite whirlpool on the Volendam and trying to get rid of the bubbles before our cabin steward saw it!

Prayers for all who need it...I am thankful for my health everyday.

Karen

Edited by Loreto
repeated words
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Just now, Loreto said:

I discovered this at our grocery store last summer ( we have been drinking a lot of wine lately)  and while good, the Chateau Ste. Michelle Sweet Riesling is reminiscent of the wine we loved while living in Germany many years ago!  I still have 2 unopened bottles.  The 2018 vintage is better than 2017...who knew I would become a wine snob?  HAL trained me!

I, too, experienced the horror of bubble bath in the suite whirlpool on the Volendam and trying to get rid of the bubbles before our cabin steward saw it!

Prayers for all who need it...I am thankful for my health everyday.

Karen

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, another "Hot" thread this morning.  Thanks to all, even drinks ladies who don't perform up to par!😉  

Too late to edit, but I want to make it  clear - I was only joking, Cat Shepard!  😄😃

I will drink pretty well any wine, but it is nice to know what it is!

(If I sound bitter, it's because January is our "dry" month. )

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

It is the same here in Arizona.  To protect the AZ residents, they will vaccinate all, especially if they are regular winter visitors and own or rent property.  I cannot verify this, but the reports are that even those who are camping in the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) areas will be included.  The more in any area who are vaccinated will help protect the remainder.

Lenda

There's some truth to that but only once the state residents who want the vaccine are served.  I'm waiting but my Governor indicates they should start 75 and up late this month.  I am still hoping that I might come a bit sooner through the fire department but that isn't guaranteed and some of our career staff are still waiting.

Roy

• Like 9

I think the coin ceremony has been discussed recently on CC, possibly in posts about the new Rotterdam. I can't recall the exact thread though. Here are a couple of references that might help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast_stepping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_ceremony

It supposedly started in ancient times when coins were placed under the mast so that shipwrecked and drowned sailors could pay the ferryman at the River Styx. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Actually, I am reading on Canadian news sites that Canadians who have chosen to fly down are getting the vaccine in Florida. That just seems wrong on so many levels. First they were asked not to travel, then taking a vaccine from a Florida resident. On the other hand good on Florida for vaccinating all comers.

This is wrong on all levels IMO it it is true (not doubting you, just hadn’t heard it on the news yet).

If there are already snowbirds there, well and good, but why risk health and safety to others to fly down to get a vaccine?  And then what do they do?  Stay there and wait for the next shot?  Or come home and quarantine for 14 days.  Pretty sure that would be called non-essential travel which is to be avoided right now 😞 

Not right to take from those that need it in their own State.  JMO.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

For your reading pleasure 😉

The coin ceremony is meant to bring the ship good fortune. It dates back to Roman times when coins were attached to a ship to provide “divine protection.” On modern ships they are typically on display on the radar mast.

https://www.expeditions.com/blog/coin-ceremony-tradition/

Thanks!!

And you had me at "Roman"!  

image.jpeg.1fe49c7892e86db533a628230995f2d4.jpeg

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Since everyone seems to be sharing their kitchen appliance stories, here is mine.

In late September it was a cool day and I decided to make a baked chicken.  After the chicken was done, I swung the temperature up to 375 F and put in a small apple crisp.  I went in the other room and within about 10 minutes my range starting making a beeping noise I had never heard before.  I rushed into the kitchen to find black smoke coming out of the oven!  So I turned off the oven, grabbed the smoking apple crisp and took it outdoors....totally burnt on the top.  When I returned to the kitchen the broil element was still bright red.  I have a separate oven thermometer I keep in the oven and it was as high as it could go...over 550F.  So now what to do?  I ran downstairs and turned off the circuit breaker which, of couse, solved the immedate problem.  It also meant I could not use the burners.  I found out that the part to fix it would cost over $400 plus labor.  So I ordered a new range.  But the problem is all my appliance colors are bisque which was popular when I built my house 18 years ago.  They still make the color, but very few choices.  So I ordered my new bisque range on Sept 28, 2020. And I wait.  The last date they gave me is Jan 28, 2021.  I'm not holding my breath.  They say it is because of Covid and not working all shifts in the Whirlpool factory.  

And in case you are worried I can't use the top burners, I can. I had the guy come and disconnect the oven elements and I turned the circuit breaker back on so the stove top works.  But I haven't baked since the end of Sept.  I have a toaster oven, but that is a bit limited. 

I don't want to think about what could have happened if I had not been in the house.

And that, my new friends, is my sad story.

Janet

Thank goodness you were home, Janet! Wow!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Too late to edit, but I want to make it  clear - I was only joking, Cat Shepard!  😄😃

I will drink pretty well any wine, but it is nice to know what it is!

(If I sound bitter, it's because January is our "dry" month. )

Ann, please.  I saw that wink!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our daily smile 🙂 

I always love a bath & a bubble bath is to die for.  I love English toffee but it’s a no no for some time to come until everything is all set in my mouth 😞 

I love that quote and trying to convince DH of it.

We have a rotisserie chicken for tonight so hopefully that is close enough to the meal suggestion.

That cranberry margarita sound delish, @summer slope.

A tad late today - a busy one with errands and curbside pick ups.  A bit of a wait everywhere.  Seems I’m not the only one worried we might go into code red.

I might have ended the appliance jinx for the Dailyites.  I decided to clean both my ovens yesterday (convection) and this morning (regular oven).  Happy to report that my stove is still working despite cleaning both ovens so I guess I don’t have an excuse not to clean the ovens.  LOL 😂 

I reached the point his morning that I turned off the news.  Tired of bad news.  Sounds like I need to catch up though 😉 😞 

I’m at the point that...

726712D8-A92C-48D0-A671-C9E1B0D4E48A.jpeg.88dd12853a6fe434d846f12c5655349b.jpeg

Seems to be a lot of problems getting the vaccines into peoples’ arms.  Here’s a bright idea:

918F7040-998B-4F75-AB67-E26F95A6CFB3.jpeg.59d0f7b497b2070ca561d56c4093f395.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them.  Have a great Friday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

This is wrong on all levels IMO it it is true (not doubting you, just hadn’t heard it on the news yet).

If there are already snowbirds there, well and good, but why risk health and safety to others to fly down to get a vaccine?  And then what do they do?  Stay there and wait for the next shot?  Or come home and quarantine for 14 days.  Pretty sure that would be called non-essential travel which is to be avoided right now 😞 

I agree on all counts and was wondering too about the second shot.  

And are there snowbirds already there? (I really don't know, but I thought Canadians were told to stay in Canada?) 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

There's some truth to that but only once the state residents who want the vaccine are served.  I'm waiting but my Governor indicates they should start 75 and up late this month.  I am still hoping that I might come a bit sooner through the fire department but that isn't guaranteed and some of our career staff are still waiting.

Roy

As I said, I couldn't verify the info about the snowbirds camping in the desert for the winter.  Right now, our county is doing or will be starting next week vaccinating group 1a.  We have signed up for what notifications we can and DH has called the hospital, doctor's office, county health department, etc.  No one seems to know when or where they will be available.  Group 1b 75+, DH's group is next, and I'm next in 1c, if the current info is correct.  Out here in the boonies, we should be getting the Moderna vaccine.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning!

Not a bath person, so I'll leave the bubble bath to the grandkids.  Toffee sounds very good, it may be one of the very few non-chocolate sweets that are worth the carbs IMO 😄  We'll be having chicken tonight, but not fricassee -- we got a rotisserie chicken and it always lasts about 3 days for us.  Last night I made a chicken noodle casserole, tonight may just be sandwiches.

California Sauvignon Blanc -- just say "no" LOL.  Since I discovered New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc I don't want anything else. 🙂  One of the many reasons I regretted not getting to NZ last April (the first of 4 cruises that has been cancelled).  "Oyster Bay" is especially good!

In the last few years I think California Sauvignon Blancs have really upped their game,  Lately, I have been buying Groth SB at Costco.  Even Mrs. XBGuy, the "All Chardonnay, All the Time" drinker loved it.

My best NZ SB story.  This happened, I'm going to say, 17-18 years ago.  We had attended an evening concert in downtown Los Angeles and wanted to have dinner afterward.  Many of you, I am sure, are aware that, at least in those days. downtown Los Angeles was not a late-night town.   (I don't know if L.A. Live has changed that.)  Most restaurants stopped serving by about 10:00.  However, the Pacific Dining Car on 6th Street was open 24 hours a day.  I have no idea how they are doing in this pandemic era.  Anyway, the waiter, an eager-to-please young guy, came over and asked if we would like to have something to drink.  I ordered a bottle of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  He scurried off, retrieved the wine, presented it, and I OKed it.  He then whipped out his faithful waiter's corkscrew, and starts to try to cut the "foil capsule."

"Huh," I thought.  For a couple decades, now, a vast majority of New Zealand wines (and Australian wines) have had screwcap closures.

So, I try to help the young guy out.  "I think that bottle has a screwcap.  You don't need a corkscrew."

Needless to say he wasn't going to let some nobody from the provinces deter him from what he had been trained to do.  He struggled mightily trying to cut through that "foil" with the totally inadequate cutting blade of his corkscrew.  The three of us at the table were now smirking noticeably.

Another, obviously, more experienced, waiter saw his young colleague struggling,  He came over, took the bottle, gave the cap a twist and handed the bottle back.

True story.

Interestingly, I am pretty sure we are going to be having a Rotisserie Chicken for dinner, tonight.  Yes, ours will last for several more meals.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree on all counts and was wondering too about the second shot.  

And are there snowbirds already there? (I really don't know, but I thought Canadians were told to stay in Canada?) 

Canadians were told to stay in Canada and the snowbirds I know did.

But, I do know some went down by plane (no driving would have been allowed).  I don’t know how many went and think it was a very small percentage but definitely some went.  You know, the people who think more about “me than we”.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Huh," I thought.  For a couple decades, now, a vast majority of New Zealand wines (and Australian wines) have had screwcap closures.

So, I try to help the young guy out.  "I think that bottle has a screwcap.  You don't need a corkscrew."

LOL on your story.  Thanks for the smile.

I remember a “wine snob” when we were visiting New Zealand and Australia who said no wine was any good if it didn’t have a corkscrew.

t had told him we use cardboardeaux quite often (and in fact still do at times -  one of my favourite Australian wines comes that way) and he sniggered at us.

Well, you should have seen the look on his face when we visited a wine store.  A LOT of wine was in cardboard boxes of all sizes and in screw tops.  When he questioned the store clerk about the lack of corks, the clerk laughed and said they started saving the cork trees long ago and they weren’t necessary for many vintages.

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face and a memory back.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Canadians were told to stay in Canada and the snowbirds I know did.

But, I do know some went down by plane (no driving would have been allowed).  I don’t know how many went and think it was a very small percentage but definitely some went.  You know, the people who think more about “me than we”.

I think at least in the Maritime bubble it's safer to stay put than to go to Florida and be unprotected for however long it takes to get access to a shot.  Even though we are having our own surge, I wouldn't want to be unprotected in Florida for what might be more than a week.

Roy

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think at least in the Maritime bubble it's safer to stay put than to go to Florida and be unprotected for however long it takes to get access to a shot.  Even though we are having our own surge, I wouldn't want to be unprotected in Florida for what might be more than a week.

Roy

Our bubble burst a while ago, Roy.  

But in all honesty, our cases are nothing compared to the rest of Canada’s and the U.S.  Our premier reacts fast when we have any kind of cases.  

Our entire province is back to Code Orange until things are considered under control again.  If I told you the number of cases that caused that, you would probably laugh as it is minuscule but it’s how things are staying safe here as best possible.

I wouldn’t go to Florida for love or money right now (no insult intended to our friends in Florida). Not even sure we will want to stay there when our ship arrives next November (if we can sail).  We’ll wait and see how things are I guess.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

@kazuthese are Canadians who have gone to spend the winter in Florida just like any other year. Some own property, some rent for 3-6 months. There is a whole new industry in Quebec taking cars across the border on car carriers to Plattsburgh ny and flying the owners there on charter flights so they can drive the rest of the way and spend the winter in the warmth. I don’t mean to throw Quebec under the bus because others in other provinces are also flying down. Just wrong on so many levels

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Living in south Florida we are seeing more Canadian plates in the last month.  My neighbor from Quebec did not come down this year and is selling her condo, I will miss her but I understand and appreciate her reasoning.

If Canadians are not supposed to travel can they still have medical coverage? 

• Like 5

Just gonna say if someone can get a shot go ahead, the more people who get protected the faster this nightmare will be over, and I really want to be able to travel in september.  I still dont know when our turn will be but I will be careful until such time.  rafinmd i love your alternative menu and would eat every last bite but i have some salmon thawing ( need to get some omega 3 ) and am making a salmon soup like I had in Helsinki on the Baltic cruise. oh my goodness I chuckled over all the cartoons they were great, thank you all.  oh and please take me off the list, its just a silly stove and everyone has much more need to be on the list.  wow some of the stories of appliance problems are pretty scary, hope no one else loses any, this is supposed to be a better year we were told. ha ha ha.   that’s all I need to go spend about 20 minutes not getting any puzzle pieces in place and feeling like an idiot then start my soup.   stay safe everyone.  Linda

• Like 10

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

My Governor is offering the vaccine as a tourism lure. Let that sink in folk. 

Interesting. And actually very smart. If this is used as a tourism lure, they probably built that into the plan for doses needed, so residents aren’t actually being shortchanged. That’s good to know.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1