The Daily for Friday Jan 8, 2021

richwmn

today is Bubble Bath Day, English Toffee Day, and Argyle Day

If you keep anything long enough, you can throw it away.

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Fricassee

Drink of the Day - Spiced Cranberry Margarita

Wine of the day - Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - California - White vintage

Stirrup Cay Anchoragec
Nieuw Statendan

at Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam off San Diego
Noordam off San Diego
Zuiderdam off San Diego

Long Beach
Koningsdam

San Diego
Westerdam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0108World.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Friday Daily, Rich.  Love baths but not necessarily bubble.  Argyle is quite nice but I;ll pass on the toffee.  Interesting quote.  Chicken Fricassee sounds quite nice.  My alternative is Papaya, Pineapple, & Orange, Turkey Roast, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 8, 1919.

dishes08.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

kazu’s BIL’s Mom with Cpvod

Our Nation

A Capitol police officer who died from problems in the riot

zigdilcru’s stove

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Meals on Wheels

Capitol staffers who secured ballots

Live4cruises stitches out

lindaler’s sister helping with vaccinations

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

@StLouisCruisers has left Antarctica.  On January 8, 2019 MS Prinsendam held a Tropical Dinner.  A Grand Voyage approaching the Panama Canal with destination Antarctica inspired some interesting juxtapositions  including this display in front of the Dining Room:

tropicalpenguin.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Haha 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's cold up here, but no snow in the forecast.

Love English Toffee.  I haven't had a bubble bath in ages, I'll see if I have anything to make bubbles.

Argyle is a beautiful pattern.

Great quote (as usual).

The meal sounds good, but we had chicken last night.

Looking forward to reading about the Drink of the Day and the wine.

Praying for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

It is said that it is darkest before dawn.  If that’s true, one must believe dawn will be here soon.  Over 4,000 deaths in the US in one day from Covid, hard to believe.  Mayhem in our nations capital.  At the time when we desperately need to be coming together we appear to be doing the opposite.  Stay safe my friends.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Not a bath, bubble or otherwise, person. Not sure if I would even recognize argyle. But I would love to celebrate some English toffee! 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Hope Allen is feeling better Joy, and your house is a tad less empty ❤️.  We have a white wine today, but..... one of the drink ladies has failed. Guess which one.

Love the quote. Pass on the meal. The drink sounds interesting. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone!

We have a mystery wine today.  I could not find ANYTHING about this vineyard’s Sauvignon Blanc wine - not even on their own website!  But if you do happen to come across it - know that the vineyard has received an award for its sustainability. And their Pinot Noir & Chardonnay varietals are very highly rated!

I have failed you all & it is only January 7th. 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good morning.  Beautiful sunrise this morning.  Haven't had a bubble bath in years, I'm a shower person.  English Toffee is one of my favorites and don't own anything argyle.  The quote is so true.  My MIL used to say we will chill leftovers before we throw them away.  Will pass on the meal.

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Spiced Cranberry Margarita:

Ingredients
For the Simple Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
10 cinnamon sticks
For the Margarita:
2 ounces tequila
1/2 ounce orange liqueur (such as Cointreau)
1/2 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce cranberry juice
1/2 ounce cinnamon simple syrup
Optional: cinnamon stick and orange slice (for garnish)

Prepare the Cinnamon Simple Syrup
Place the sugar, water, and cinnamon sticks into a small saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until the sugar dissolves completely, about 2 minutes.
Cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes, and use immediately or store the syrup, with the cinnamon sticks, in an airtight container, as it will continue to infuse. The simple syrup will last 1 month when refrigerated.
Make the Margarita
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, cranberry juice and 1/2 ounce of the cinnamon simple syrup into a cocktail shaker.
Add ice to the cocktail shaker until full. Seal the shaker and shake until it is cold.
Strain cocktail into a rocks glass filled with ice and garnish with cinnamon stick and orange, if desired.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.58.15 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 18

11 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Beautiful sunrise this morning.  Haven't had a bubble bath in years, I'm a shower person.  English Toffee is one of my favorites and don't own anything argyle.  The quote is so true.  My MIL used to say we will chill leftovers before we throw them away.  Will pass on the meal.

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Spiced Cranberry Margarita:

Ingredients
For the Simple Syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
10 cinnamon sticks
For the Margarita:
2 ounces tequila
1/2 ounce orange liqueur (such as Cointreau)
1/2 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce cranberry juice
1/2 ounce cinnamon simple syrup
Optional: cinnamon stick and orange slice (for garnish)

Prepare the Cinnamon Simple Syrup
Place the sugar, water, and cinnamon sticks into a small saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until the sugar dissolves completely, about 2 minutes.
Cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes, and use immediately or store the syrup, with the cinnamon sticks, in an airtight container, as it will continue to infuse. The simple syrup will last 1 month when refrigerated.
Make the Margarita
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, cranberry juice and 1/2 ounce of the cinnamon simple syrup into a cocktail shaker.
Add ice to the cocktail shaker until full. Seal the shaker and shake until it is cold.
Strain cocktail into a rocks glass filled with ice and garnish with cinnamon stick and orange, if desired.

Gee Summer this drink sounds great!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I have failed you all & it is only January 7th. 

I share the blame because I chose the wine. The only thing I can find on it is that it costs $12. The suggestion came from a wine list someone posted from a HAL cruise, so it was sold on at least one HAL ship

• Like 10

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for today's update, Rich.

It is a cold, crisp morning in Cork. Still 2 degrees below freezing in Celcius!

Have a great day everyone.

It does sound a bit nippy.  I suspect it would be a bit better in Derry City.

• Like 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  How about eating English Toffee while having a Bubble Bath and drinking an Argyll (I know, spelling, but the drink is really spelled that way!). 

@cat shepardyou're not a failure; you've been very diligent in searching out and bringing us the fabulous wine descriptions.  It's not your fault there isn't anything in the wide blue yonder to tell us about today's selection.  How about this:  everyone pick their favourite wine to drink and that will be the wine of the day!

I hate to tell you this, but DH and I haven't watched so many consecutive hours of television since 9-11.  Yesterday was a day spent watching tv while doing household chores, trying to make sense of what happened.  I truly believe the senate aides who removed the electoral college votes during the evacuation should be given medals - and large raises!

I really like the menu suggestion for today, and I just happen to have a bunch of chicken breasts available, so I think I'll put that together for dinner tonight.  Accompanied by noodles and a vegetable, that should make a nice plate.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - especially our US neighbours - and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting all on the celebration list with our wine glasses tonight.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

It's been a week -- who had their fingers crossed on 12:01 New Year's Day?  Maybe 2020 just needed a one-week "hangover" before leaving. But we made it through and now it's Friday!  (Remember us "working stiffs" and say it with me!) 

105 Friday Memes that Will Get You Ready For the Weekend

Speaking of hangovers, those penguins in grass skirts from the Prinsendam would definitely make me think I'd had one too many if I saw them. 🤣

I love English toffee but just finished some that I was gifted over the holidays. Don't worry about the wine, California Sauvignon Blancs are not my favorites, usually.  And the drink of the day looks like a pretty tropical sunrise, so I'm going to claim it, since we have a dull gray start to the day here.

• Like 18

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach. No excuse not to do water aerobics today!

I received an email from my Doctors office asking if I was interested in the vaccine. Of course, I said yes. Now we wait to see what happens. 

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach. No excuse not to do water aerobics today!

I received an email from my Doctors office asking if I was interested in the vaccine. Of course, I said yes. Now we wait to see what happens. 

Stay safe everyone!

How I would love a warm sunny day at the beach! Missing my winter getaway on a HAL ship.😪. Thank you Rich & Roy for the Daily! Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Speaking of hangovers, those penguins in grass skirts from the Prinsendam would definitely make me think I'd had one too many if I saw them. 🤣

More penguins are definitely on the way.

Roy

• Like 6

Good morning everyone. I too spent the last two days glued to the TV. Never, ever, did I think our country would go thru the he’ll it did on Wednesday. Hopefully, reason and sanity will return to the US.

It’s 29 degrees here but the sun is trying to peek out. So long as there’s no snow, I’m happy.

Those aides in the senate who thought to grab the ballots really do deserve a raise and lots of praise.

• Like 12