The Daily for Friday Jan 8, 2021

richwmn

The location of the ship's gangway at a certain port is always discussed a couple of days, or at least one day, ahead of arrival at one of the morning BRM's after coffee on the bridge. If the ship has been at the port before, a file with pics is kept and studied/consulted. If not, the port agent will send the required info with pics and/or the case file of another HAL ship, that has made a call there, can be send over. The local weather and tide condition are taken into effect and, again, the port agent can be contacted, if necessary.

The security officer (SECO) is always at the gangway break (the two heavy doors that are opened hydraulically to allow the gangway to be hooked in once in position) and is in touch with the bridge (captain or staff captain) via portable radio. Quite frequently, the latter two are unable to see, from their location on the bridge wing,  when the ship is in the correct final position for the gangway so they rely on the SECO to call off the distance, using the metric system, until the ship is in that final position. This is done in conjunction with the officers on the forward and aft mooring decks who, by then, should have had their teams (with the assistance of line handlers ashore) connect a spring (mooring) line on the designated bollard(s). The ship can then be slowly moved forward, or aft, by placing (or removing) tension on those lines with one of the winches (not a wench) on the mooring deck, until the SECO is satisfied and can announce "ship's in good position" to the bridge.

A "R"-class ship like Amsterdam has basically three locations for the gangway to get hooked up, the most commonly used being on A-Deck, either port or starboard. The other locations are on Deck 1 mid-ships, starboard side only, and on Deck 2 forward (both sides) 

So Pier 2 in Honolulu is one of those berths that requires a long gangway for various reasons, the steepness angle being one of them during our visit. In order to get one hooked up, one of the bow cranes (not really used a lot), the starboard side one, was utilized on this day, operated by the asst. bo'sun, to lower the long gangway from the bow to the dock.

A team of intrepid sailors, led by their bo'sun, then made their way forward to alongside the bow, turned that bad boy around (the long gangway, not the ship's bow), and rolled it to the A-Deck break where, inside, a couple of boatmen had hooked up a block and tackle. The gangway was hoisted up using manual labor, and hooked in place, the collapsible railings extended so the Housekeeping team could then set up their floormats, stanchions with rope lines, Purell dispensers, plants, drinking and hot towel station, etc. and we were in business and I had time for a "breakfast of champions" 😉 on Lido deck aft   

080.JPG

081.JPG

086.JPG

087.JPG

088.JPG

089.JPG

101.JPG

090.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 20

20 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

What is the criteria in Florida to receive the vaccine? $$$$$$?

My understanding is that Covid vaccines are free, at least for over 65. But maybe one of our Florida posters can verify that?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, superoma said:

Actually, I am reading on Canadian news sites that Canadians who have chosen to fly down are getting the vaccine in Florida. That just seems wrong on so many levels. First they were asked not to travel, then taking a vaccine from a Florida resident. On the other hand good on Florida for vaccinating all comers.

Yea I don’t get it.  I don’t know a single person in NC that has been vaccinated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Currently  any one  over 65 is eligible  for Covid  vaccine  in Florida . 

I got my first jab this morning  @cat shepard. I made the appointment  online  on Sunday  morning  during  the brief  time the website  was  functioning. I had all paperwork  completed when I  arrived  and was 20 minutes  early  for my appointment . The whole process  was very organized  and I  had my jab 17 minutes  after I  arrived . Paperwork  and id was checked  3 times  during  the  process . I had to wait 30 minutes  after the jab. So far no problems .

The only negative  from my husband  was that they marked his windshield  with the injection  tent number and time we could be released  from observation .!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks Rich Roy et al!  Summer,  that drink yum!   cat,  you do an amazing job! 

No to LG stoves!  We had to replace the racks because they fell down,  then over 500$ For the melted wiring harness!  We’ve had good luck with Samsung new QLED and old tv, washer dryer, fridge.  Fingers crossed!  

Sounds like another good day for sticky toffee pudding!  

I too am perplexed why Florida and Arizona would vaccinate Canadians,  but I’ve read they do it for property owners so maybe because they pay state property taxes? 

In Canada, it will be a long wait as they work through the list of doctors, nurses and care home residents and staff.   Not even paramedics are being given priority which I fail to understand as well.  

The Alberta premier said yesterday flying is safer than going to the grocery store,  having a lot of trouble with that one.  So many mixed messages! 

We are well below freezing but have brilliant sunshine so it’s making winter quite pleasant! 

34685413-36D3-4F3A-9AE4-4CD9EC0B990B.jpeg

EC9B2414-EC58-40DB-9F29-A05883BA91DE.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, superoma said:

My understanding is that Covid vaccines are free, at least for over 65. But maybe one of our Florida posters can verify that?

A Florida friend on FB says it's only snow birds doing this.....and therefore it helps everyone because they live there "some times".  But really, if Canadians aren't supposed to come down here (or vise versa) for the foreseeable future, it's only helping that person who flew down to FL to be vaccinated before other Canadians and Floridians. 

• Like 7

Just now, KirkNC said:

Yea I don’t get it.  I don’t know a single person in NC that has been vaccinated.

Interestingly there were  2 vehicles  with NC tags at the site I got my  shot at today. Also 1 California , Texas and Quebec.

Looks like everyone  is coming  to  Broward  County . I'm  not sure how I  feel about non full time florida  residents  getting  vaccines  but they are here and in our restaurants  and grocery  stores.  They  are  supposed  to  only vaccinate partial residents  not tourists .

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Sea Viewer said:

Interestingly there were  2 vehicles  with NC tags at the site I got my  shot at today. Also 1 California , Texas and Quebec.

Looks like everyone  is coming  to  Broward  County . I'm  not sure how I  feel about non full time florida  residents  getting  vaccines  but they are here and in our restaurants  and grocery  stores.  They  are  supposed  to  only vaccinate partial residents  not tourists .

Boy we will have more mayhem if people start driving all over to get vaccinated.  We are not in a super hurry as it won’t change our behavior and travel/cruising is many months away.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, superoma said:

Yes, there was no cost for the shot.  And there was a notice that we did not need to enter our insurance info so we didn't.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 3

My understanding is that distribution of the vaccine is the responsibility of each individual state.  The are to develop a plan and implement it.  It is not clear to me how the state receives the vaccine, though.  Some agencies, such as the Veteran's Administration and the military will most likely receive their own supply in addition to the state's allotment. 

Ray

• Like 6

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

A couple of comments from wet Washington State.  I am a red wine person, but my DW enjoys a riesling from our state.  I have found that I like it too and it is about $7. from Costco; St. Michelle Riesling.  We have a few LG appliances; TV, French door refrigerator and washer and dryer and I am extremely happy with each of them.  The OLED TV is the best one we have owned.  Never had an LG stove, though.

I decided yesterday to book a cruise for next year.  It is 42 days on the Noordam steaming around Japan starting 14 February.  It will replace the 42 days we booked on the Westerdam that lasted less than two weeks.  Something to look forward to.

Ray

That is my favorite white wine.  The price is about the same in CA, but a little more in Az and Tx.  I think it is due to different state taxes and liquor laws.  Glad it is back in Costco as it disappeared from their shelves a few years ago. It is readily available in most grocery  and big box stores.

Lenda

• Like 6

Good morning, another "Hot" thread this morning.  Thanks to all, even drinks ladies who don't perform up to par!😉  

We have spent a lot of time watching TV recently, too.  It has been like watching a dear friend and neighbour suffering through an ordeal and we can't help.  But our friend will get through it.  

Roy, @rafinmd, you asked yesterday about anti-vaxxers - in the national paper this morning (Globe and Mail) there was an article that said they believe about 57% of medical workers are nervous about taking the vaccine.  In BC nurses are required to take the flu vaccine in times of flu outbreaks, or take an unpaid leave of absence, so perhaps that will come into effect.  Although the workers are desperately needed so I'm not sure what will happen.   We are continuing our (semi-) lockdown to February 5.

shopping.png.a7077211e8a4fce84278ef64be2fcfe0.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@KirkNC, we are in Charlotte, and many health care workers have already received shots, especially ones who would be in close contact with patients' aerosols, like ENT doctors and also dentist.  Also, people 75 and older have been receiving shots this week - some at the coliseum and some at parking lots where tents are set up.  They all require appointments.  We aren't in that group yet, but we will be when the people 65 and older are in line.  Apparently the large scale operations have been running smoothly so far, even though the appointments were snapped up quickly so some people have to wait several weeks.  We have enough friends in the medical professions and who are 75 or older, so when it is our turn, hopefully we will know the logistics.  Some places make both the first and second appointments with just one phone call but the coliseum does not schedule the second appointment yet.  Good luck, and I'll update when we have our appointments.

• Like 8

Just now, TheKingD said:

@KirkNC, we are in Charlotte, and many health care workers have already received shots, especially ones who would be in close contact with patients' aerosols, like ENT doctors and also dentist.  Also, people 75 and older have been receiving shots this week - some at the coliseum and some at parking lots where tents are set up.  They all require appointments.  We aren't in that group yet, but we will be when the people 65 and older are in line.  Apparently the large scale operations have been running smoothly so far, even though the appointments were snapped up quickly so some people have to wait several weeks.  We have enough friends in the medical professions and who are 75 or older, so when it is our turn, hopefully we will know the logistics.  Some places make both the first and second appointments with just one phone call but the coliseum does not schedule the second appointment yet.  Good luck, and I'll update when we have our appointments.

Good to know, I have seen on the news that medical workers were getting shots.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending how you want to look at it, we are in Group 4.  I suspect my DW could go in Group 2 as she has had cancer twice but I am not sure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Can someone educate me about this -- I assume it is a tradition?  Is it particularly to HAL or all ships?

For your reading pleasure 😉

The coin ceremony is meant to bring the ship good fortune. It dates back to Roman times when coins were attached to a ship to provide “divine protection.” On modern ships they are typically on display on the radar mast.

https://www.expeditions.com/blog/coin-ceremony-tradition/

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Of the days, English Toffee is the one closest to my heart. I think today’s quote may actually be one of the basic principles I seem to live by. Chicken wings are on the menu for tonight, so at least we’re  close!

Ann, you have not failed us today. You have just reminded us of the fact that you are spot on, day after day after day. Besides, who wouldn’t be a little off track after the week this has been! (And my abject apologies for implying we were not actually on a cruise earlier in the week. That was totally uncalled for!😉)

Gerry, between the now extended provincial restrictions and the incessant rain, DH and I have also been binge watching TV like never before. You are not alone. I have been reading the accounts of Canadians going to Florida for the vaccine, and feeling embarrassed. They really don’t seem to care that they are taking vaccines meant for someone else. Apparently the clinics aren’t even asking for ID. Morally, this is worse than the Americans who come up here to fill prescriptions so  the cost is subsidized from Canadian income tax. At least they aren’t actually taking it from someone who needs it.

Anyway, time to get on with the day and enjoy yet more rain after yesterday’s wonderful one day reprieve. 
Happy Friday, from the Amsterdam floor mats. A year ago today we stood on them on our way down to head out to a wonderful day in Roseau, Dominica, the first port of call of the Grand World! I’ve added a view of the Amsterdam from a lookout in Roseau, and a view of Roseau from our cabin.

41146985-2CA1-4981-B863-D687CC347C23.jpeg

9016AF37-55B0-4E74-A6D4-1A9A78701F19.jpeg

0CB4B72C-4F8D-4091-A239-85AF8A3040AF.jpeg

• Like 16

Good Morning.

Dinner tonight is chicken slouvaki with tzatziki on pita.

With all this chat about wine I went and checked the supply.  It is looking sad, as it appears as though I am down to one bottle of dessert wine.  It is Ovation from Unsworth Vineyards.  Looks like I need to chill it and make something chocolatey for dessert.

https://www.unsworthvineyards.com/Wines/Dessert

Cheers,

Val

• Like 10

Since everyone seems to be sharing their kitchen appliance stories, here is mine.

In late September it was a cool day and I decided to make a baked chicken.  After the chicken was done, I swung the temperature up to 375 F and put in a small apple crisp.  I went in the other room and within about 10 minutes my range starting making a beeping noise I had never heard before.  I rushed into the kitchen to find black smoke coming out of the oven!  So I turned off the oven, grabbed the smoking apple crisp and took it outdoors....totally burnt on the top.  When I returned to the kitchen the broil element was still bright red.  I have a separate oven thermometer I keep in the oven and it was as high as it could go...over 550F.  So now what to do?  I ran downstairs and turned off the circuit breaker which, of couse, solved the immedate problem.  It also meant I could not use the burners.  I found out that the part to fix it would cost over $400 plus labor.  So I ordered a new range.  But the problem is all my appliance colors are bisque which was popular when I built my house 18 years ago.  They still make the color, but very few choices.  So I ordered my new bisque range on Sept 28, 2020. And I wait.  The last date they gave me is Jan 28, 2021.  I'm not holding my breath.  They say it is because of Covid and not working all shifts in the Whirlpool factory.  

And in case you are worried I can't use the top burners, I can. I had the guy come and disconnect the oven elements and I turned the circuit breaker back on so the stove top works.  But I haven't baked since the end of Sept.  I have a toaster oven, but that is a bit limited. 

I don't want to think about what could have happened if I had not been in the house.

And that, my new friends, is my sad story.

Janet

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Our Canadian news has reported that only Canadians who own property and are part-time residents of Florida are eligible for the vaccine.  Generally, "snowbirds" reside in Florida for 6 months out of the year, within the terms of our heath plan coverage.  So, not everyone can just fly on down and get the vaccine. 😉

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

The vaccines are free. If someone is living in FL, even if just for the season, they should get to vaccine in order to protect all. IMO. I know some from other states are also coming to FL. As long as they are able to come back to get the second shot, I see nothing wrong with this approach. It is a federal benefit.

Still waiting for my appointment call from the county health department. Publix groceries in 3 counties (including mine) had some shots available, The online registration opened, unannounced, at 6 AM yesterday. By 8 AM all were taken.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I have failed you all & it is only January 7th. 

You could never fail us, Cat 😄 

You research endlessly for us and we appreciate it ❤️ 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chinook Wind said:

Our Canadian news has reported that only Canadians who own property and are part-time residents of Florida are eligible for the vaccine.  Generally, "snowbirds" reside in Florida for 6 months out of the year, within the terms of our heath plan coverage.  So, not everyone can just fly on down and get the vaccine. 😉

Welcome aboard.

Roy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Actually, I am reading on Canadian news sites that Canadians who have chosen to fly down are getting the vaccine in Florida. That just seems wrong on so many levels. First they were asked not to travel, then taking a vaccine from a Florida resident. On the other hand good on Florida for vaccinating all comers.

My Governor is offering the vaccine as a tourism lure. Let that sink in folk.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The vaccines are free. If someone is living in FL, even if just for the season, they should get to vaccine in order to protect all. IMO. I know some from other states are also coming to FL. As long as they are able to come back to get the second shot, I see nothing wrong with this approach. It is a federal benefit.

Still waiting for my appointment call from the county health department. Publix groceries in 3 counties (including mine) had some shots available, The online registration opened, unannounced, at 6 AM yesterday. By 8 AM all were taken.

It is the same here in Arizona.  To protect the AZ residents, they will vaccinate all, especially if they are regular winter visitors and own or rent property.  I cannot verify this, but the reports are that even those who are camping in the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) areas will be included.  The more in any area who are vaccinated will help protect the remainder.

Lenda

• Like 8