The Daily for Friday Jan 8, 2021

richwmn

51 minutes ago, superoma said:

@kazuthese are Canadians who have gone to spend the winter in Florida just like any other year. Some own property, some rent for 3-6 months. There is a whole new industry in Quebec taking cars across the border on car carriers to Plattsburgh ny and flying the owners there on charter flights so they can drive the rest of the way and spend the winter in the warmth. I don’t mean to throw Quebec under the bus because others in other provinces are also flying down. Just wrong on so many levels

Totally agree.  I know some snowbirds still went but the ones I know all stayed here as per the travel advisory.  

Talk about walking from the pan into the fire!  absolutely nuts.

44 minutes ago, superoma said:

https://apple.news/AtuGN9IVyRXOdo8XDLUg78w

Canadian snowbird story from CBC  

Thanks = hadn’t seen that news story yet.  OMG how crazy can people be?  They are in their 70’s and still went????  Nuts!  

Sometimes I just get mad at stupidity and want to say:

197A3BEB-1C8A-4285-ACF9-16CF4C4B8B6B.jpeg.7a691adf4cd76729dd93f1526916f97f.jpeg

Now you know why I stopped watching news this morning 😉 

I get mad at sheer stupidity although I confess I do have it on to “catch up” as much as I dread doing so.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, superoma said:

There is a whole new industry in Quebec taking cars across the border on car carriers to Plattsburgh ny and flying the owners there on charter flights so they can drive the rest of the way and spend the winter in the warmth. I don’t mean to throw Quebec under the bus because others in other provinces are also flying down. Just wrong on so many levels

There are companies here in British Columbia offering exactly the same service. Whatever province the idea started in, they didn’t have a monopoly for long.

WHOA! Wait! This is the safe and happy space! Summer and Ann where are you? We need more cocktails and wine!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

I am pretty much a shower person, but a nice deep hotel bath was a lovely indulgence in the past. A Japanese ofuro was a siren call.

The appliance stories are terrifying. I feel beyond lucky that my 10 year old GE Profile stuff -- other than the fridge -- has held up. The markings on the stove top have mostly disappeared, but the burners do what you hope burners do. The double oven gets a regular workout (and regular cleanings) and so far, so good. The original issue fridge gave us problems. I'm not a fan of side-by-sides, so I wasn't unhappy when we had to replace it a few years ago. Dare I say that we have have no problems with our LG counter depth french door model? 

When we remodeled our bathrooms 3 years ago we replaced our American “soaking tub” ( the kind with the large size that holds 100+ gallons but will only cover you 5” deep if you lay down in it) with a small ofaro. OMGosh! One of the best purchases ever. If one wants to fill it to capacity it takes 60 gallons. I have never even come close to that amount of water. I usually use 15-20, and it’s up to my ears. (A small seat is molded into the side so if I sit on the bottom I use 15 gallons.) And because the water has only had my clean, just scrubbed in the adjacent shower body in it, I use the water for watering some of our plants. 

Thanks for the mention on your LG refrigerator. That is one of the brands we are considering for our counter depth refrigerator. 

I’ll be back after I finish cleaning house and share a bit of my 2013 Antarctica trip that started on this date 8 years ago. Sort of. Because of the overnight flight.😜

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

Living in south Florida we are seeing more Canadian plates in the last month.  My neighbor from Quebec did not come down this year and is selling her condo, I will miss her but I understand and appreciate her reasoning.

If Canadians are not supposed to travel can they still have medical coverage? 

Yes, some of the private providers are selling them medical coverage. The question is always is the coverage enough. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree on all counts and was wondering too about the second shot.  

And are there snowbirds already there? (I really don't know, but I thought Canadians were told to stay in Canada?) 

According to the Canadian Snowbirds Association ( which is a huge organization) approx 30% of Canadian Snowbirds ventured south this year.  

Here is an article.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/border-loophole-canadian-snowbirds-shipping-cars-rvs-to-u-s-then-flying-in-1.5196426

There are a lot of articles and even a guide on how to ship your car across the border.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

There are companies here in British Columbia offering exactly the same service. Whatever province the idea started in, they didn’t have a monopoly for long.

WHOA! Wait! This is the safe and happy space! Summer and Ann where are you? We need more cocktails and wine!

You are right and I apologize for my rant on fellow Canadians. But some of us are trying so hard to stay safe and others just go on as if nothing is going on, not a care in the world. I will go and chill out now with a nice scotch! 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Safe and happy but not in the twilight time.  We recognize negativity but don't get let it overrun out spirit.  I have a feeling if you have neighbors who are selfish enough to do this (at least for the tourist types; I think those who winter there every year have a better case), they are probably the neighbors who would be flaunting the rules and your province is probably safer with them gone.

Roy

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, superoma said:

You are right and I apologize for my rant on fellow Canadians. But some of us are trying so hard to stay safe and others just go on as if nothing is going on, not a care in the world. I will go and chill out now with a nice scotch! 

It's the same in the US.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

In the last few years I think California Sauvignon Blancs have really upped their game,  Lately, I have been buying Groth SB at Costco.  Even Mrs. XBGuy, the "All Chardonnay, All the Time" drinker loved it.

My best NZ SB story.  This happened, I'm going to say, 17-18 years ago.  We had attended an evening concert in downtown Los Angeles and wanted to have dinner afterward.  Many of you, I am sure, are aware that, at least in those days. downtown Los Angeles was not a late-night town.   (I don't know if L.A. Live has changed that.)  Most restaurants stopped serving by about 10:00.  However, the Pacific Dining Car on 6th Street was open 24 hours a day.  I have no idea how they are doing in this pandemic era.  Anyway, the waiter, an eager-to-please young guy, came over and asked if we would like to have something to drink.  I ordered a bottle of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  He scurried off, retrieved the wine, presented it, and I OKed it.  He then whipped out his faithful waiter's corkscrew, and starts to try to cut the "foil capsule."

"Huh," I thought.  For a couple decades, now, a vast majority of New Zealand wines (and Australian wines) have had screwcap closures.

So, I try to help the young guy out.  "I think that bottle has a screwcap.  You don't need a corkscrew."

Needless to say he wasn't going to let some nobody from the provinces deter him from what he had been trained to do.  He struggled mightily trying to cut through that "foil" with the totally inadequate cutting blade of his corkscrew.  The three of us at the table were now smirking noticeably.

Another, obviously, more experienced, waiter saw his young colleague struggling,  He came over, took the bottle, gave the cap a twist and handed the bottle back.

True story.

Interestingly, I am pretty sure we are going to be having a Rotisserie Chicken for dinner, tonight.  Yes, ours will last for several more meals.

LOL - I will never forget my family’s first experience with a screw top SB!  I wonder if that waiter is related?🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

When we remodeled our bathrooms 3 years ago we replaced our American “soaking tub” ( the kind with the large size that holds 100+ gallons but will only cover you 5” deep if you lay down in it) with a small ofaro.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an ofaro?  Is that one of the walk-in style tubs?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

According to the Canadian Snowbirds Association ( which is a huge organization) approx 30% of Canadian Snowbirds ventured south this year.  

Here is an article.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/border-loophole-canadian-snowbirds-shipping-cars-rvs-to-u-s-then-flying-in-1.5196426

There are a lot of articles and even a guide on how to ship your car across the border.

OMG 😱

I'm learning a lot today, thank you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Interesting. And actually very smart. If this is used as a tourism lure, they probably built that into the plan for doses needed, so residents aren’t actually being shortchanged. That’s good to know.

Laura, sadly this is all about $.  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, superoma said:

Please don’t apologize - I just realized I was riding my favourite hobby horse and needed to slow down a bit. I’m also getting frustrated at sacrificing to comply with provincial orders, only to have them drag on and on because of those who don’t care who dies, as long as it’s not them. I think I’ll join you, but the scotch is low so I’ll look for a nice wine!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Two down; two to go. The Lincoln Project has him on their radar, too. 

@rafinmd I would like to clone your Governor Hogan, please.

Not just for his handling of COVID, but when Steny Hoyer called him from the Capitol to ask for help on Wednesday, your Governor worked through a bunch of bureaucratic rigamarole to get permission to send in his National Guard. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

It is true. But the Governor wants your tourism $.

Maybe I should visit another County and act touristy, so I can receive the vaccine from my own state.

Last Saturday night I was exposed to Covid 19 last Saturday night.  I am quarentining right now and will get tested tomorrow.  No symptons yet.  Here is hoping.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Himself said:

Last Saturday night I was exposed to Covid 19 last Saturday night.  I am quarentining right now and will get tested tomorrow.  No symptons yet.  Here is hoping.

Praying that you stay well, Father. 

• Like 8

All our friends that snowbird are staying home,  goes for those who usually go to Hawaii too and property owners.   So 70% staying home sounds pretty accurate.  

I think it is up to the governments to decide how to vaccinate but my preference would be a country wide policy that gets it to who needs it first.  I cannot blame those who are down there for taking part if it was offered.    But to plan a trip to get vaccines defies all logic.  

IMO the rules have been clear to avoid all nonessential travel.  But our government Representatives  have not seem to have been able to understand it and we’ve had nine so far from our province alone visiting warmer climes.  And when the premier actually says flights are safer than going to the grocery store, no wonder there’s confusion.  

Our travel insurance will not cover Covid related illnesses, not would we wish to travel at this time.

stay safe everyone! 

• Like 8

@kazu truly hope you’ve broken the stove jinx!  our issues showed up later after the self clean, sadly. 

Also, anyone who really knows about wines, knows Stelvin caps are superior to cork!  No spoilage! But oh the mystique!  

I’ve found that most Riesling’s are too sweet for me,  don’t know how that happened! Love a good Pinot Grigio! 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Chinook Wind said:

Our Canadian news has reported that only Canadians who own property and are part-time residents of Florida are eligible for the vaccine.  Generally, "snowbirds" reside in Florida for 6 months out of the year, within the terms of our heath plan coverage.  So, not everyone can just fly on down and get the vaccine. 😉

Welcome! 

The reality is no one is checking. And our Governor just wants the revenue they will bring to local businesses. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1