The Daily for Friday Jan 8, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach. No excuse not to do water aerobics today!

I received an email from my Doctors office asking if I was interested in the vaccine. Of course, I said yes. Now we wait to see what happens. 

Stay safe everyone!

It sure seems like folks in Florida are getting the vaccine 💉.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

We have a mystery wine today.  I could not find ANYTHING about this vineyard’s Sauvignon Blanc wine - not even on their own website!  But if you do happen to come across it - know that the vineyard has received an award for its sustainability. And their Pinot Noir & Chardonnay varietals are very highly rated!

I have failed you all & it is only January 7th. 

I found this listing, with a few comments down the bottom of the page.

https://www.vivino.com/en/formation-sauvignon-blanc/w/2549328

P.S. Don't put yourself down! You did better than you thought as today is January 8th 😉

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I found this listing, with a few comments down the bottom of the page.

https://www.vivino.com/en/formation-sauvignon-blanc/w/2549328

P.S. Don't put yourself down! You did better than you thought as today is January 8th 😉

Jeesh, how did I miss this?

Thank you sir!

@richwmn, I missed this one! Thank you for trying to share the blame. But I did not even get the date correct. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Brrr. 24°F here this morning. But we may see the sun for the first time in many days!

Not a bubble bath person, but I do like English toffee and argyle (socks and sweaters).

@cat shepard you aren't a failure!

So sad about the unprecedented number of deaths from Covid. And it's thought a large percentage of the spread is from asymptomatic people. So I'm staying put in my house as much as possible.

Prayers for those on the care list and cheers to those on the shoutout list.

Stay safe, stay healthy, wear your mask!

• Like 10

Well Christmas has been put away, the indoor version at any rate. We agreed with our neighbor that it would be cheery to leave the outdoor lights going a bit longer. Maybe January 21 would be a good day to turn them off; we may need cheerful lights until then! 

It took longer than anticipated to pack everything away so I decided to postpone the pork roast until today. We did spaghetti and mild Italian sausage last night instead - not quite lasagna, but recognizably close.

1/8/2019 was a sea day and I spent it exploring the new Nieuw Statendam. Surprisingly, I did not take any pictures that day! I did find the mast coin, but the following picture is from later in the cruise- 

DSC_0666.thumb.JPG.11c49790d0c05eeb6782223a372fc2ff.JPG

• Like 14

Good Morning Dailyites!

Of course, many thanks to all who contribute on this wonderful thread, whether regularly or occasionally. You enlighten, encourage and generally make the day better.

I am pretty much a shower person, but a nice deep hotel bath was a lovely indulgence in the past. A Japanese ofuro was a siren call.

Since I have defrosted rack of lamb for Date Night, we won't be following any of the menu suggestions. However, I am going to share the cocktail recipe with the Household Head Bartender and hope for the best. And well, because it's lamb, we'll go with red wine. Besides, that's what we have, LOL!

I just love the Cares & Celebrations lists. After such a horrific day as the 6th, I look for things that can lift us up. And those do it. Every day. Thank you doesn't begin to cover it @rafinmd 🥰

The appliance stories are terrifying. I feel beyond lucky that my 10 year old GE Profile stuff -- other than the fridge -- has held up. The markings on the stove top have mostly disappeared, but the burners do what you hope burners do. The double oven gets a regular workout (and regular cleanings) and so far, so good. The original issue fridge gave us problems. I'm not a fan of side-by-sides, so I wasn't unhappy when we had to replace it a few years ago. Dare I say that we have have no problems with our LG counter depth french door model? 

For those who have received emails from Gus (not a good sign) advising you of cruise cancellations, we certainly feel your pain. Hopefully, as the vaccines get rolled out to more people, we can hope to see some sailings start up.

And on the lighter side, the hula dancers and penguins are so cute. Looking forward to the day when we can hope to see things like this again.

Thank you all. Stay safe. And please, wear a mask.

-Cat

• Like 15

Good morning!

Not a bath person, so I'll leave the bubble bath to the grandkids.  Toffee sounds very good, it may be one of the very few non-chocolate sweets that are worth the carbs IMO 😄  We'll be having chicken tonight, but not fricassee -- we got a rotisserie chicken and it always lasts about 3 days for us.  Last night I made a chicken noodle casserole, tonight may just be sandwiches.

California Sauvignon Blanc -- just say "no" LOL.  Since I discovered New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc I don't want anything else. 🙂  One of the many reasons I regretted not getting to NZ last April (the first of 4 cruises that has been cancelled).  "Oyster Bay" is especially good!

• Like 16

Good morning.  We will pass on the dinner suggestion as we will be having shrimp gumbo with salad and wine tonight.  I too am a shower person.  The quote is so true, mostly.  I still have things that should have been tossed decades ago.  😀

Hats off to the aides who saved the ballots.  I hate to think what would have happened if they had fallen into the wrong hands or had been destroyed.

A year ago yesterday, we drove to San Diego to board the Rotterdam for a round trip Panama Canal cruise.  Little did we know it would be the last cruise for a long, long time, and our last cruise on the Rotterdam.

Lenda

• Like 12

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

It sure seems like folks in Florida are getting the vaccine 💉.

Actually, I am reading on Canadian news sites that Canadians who have chosen to fly down are getting the vaccine in Florida. That just seems wrong on so many levels. First they were asked not to travel, then taking a vaccine from a Florida resident. On the other hand good on Florida for vaccinating all comers.

• Like 10

A couple of comments from wet Washington State.  I am a red wine person, but my DW enjoys a riesling from our state.  I have found that I like it too and it is about $7. from Costco; St. Michelle Riesling.  We have a few LG appliances; TV, French door refrigerator and washer and dryer and I am extremely happy with each of them.  The OLED TV is the best one we have owned.  Never had an LG stove, though.

I decided yesterday to book a cruise for next year.  It is 42 days on the Noordam steaming around Japan starting 14 February.  It will replace the 42 days we booked on the Westerdam that lasted less than two weeks.  Something to look forward to.

Ray

• Like 13

Just now, superoma said:

Actually, I am reading on Canadian news sites that Canadians who have chosen to fly down are getting the vaccine in Florida. That just seems wrong on so many levels. First they were asked not to travel, then taking a vaccine from a Florida resident. On the other hand good on Florida for vaccinating all comers.

I agree, so wrong!!  FL should make it only for FL residents....can you imagine if a US citizen tried that in Canada? 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, superoma said:

I heard a couple being interviewed on CBC radio this morning, they saw nothing wrong with it.

I hang my head in shame that fellow Canadians behave this way.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I heard a couple being interviewed on CBC radio this morning, they saw nothing wrong with it.

I hang my head in shame that fellow Canadians behave this way.

Hanging mine in shame along with you.

Edited by superoma
Correcting auto correct
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

California Sauvignon Blanc -- just say "no" LOL.  Since I discovered New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc I don't want anything else. 🙂  One of the many reasons I regretted not getting to NZ last April (the first of 4 cruises that has been cancelled).  "Oyster Bay" is especially good!

Now you're talking my language!

I love Italian wines -- but NZ Sauvignon Blanc is special. 👍

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

1/8/2019 was a sea day and I spent it exploring the new Nieuw Statendam. Surprisingly, I did not take any pictures that day! I did find the mast coin, but the following picture is from later in the cruise- 

DSC_0666.thumb.JPG.11c49790d0c05eeb6782223a372fc2ff.JPG

Can someone educate me about this -- I assume it is a tradition?  Is it particularly to HAL or all ships?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, superoma said:

What is the criteria in Florida to receive the vaccine? $$$$$$?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Can someone educate me about this -- I assume it is a tradition?  Is it particularly to HAL or all ships?

2 minutes ago, Suslor said:

Thanks for asking about them. I’ve never heard of a mast coin. Please enlighten us. 

Here is a link to the HAL blog about the coin ceremony......

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/nieuw-statendam-celebrates-coin-ceremony-at-fincantieri-shipyard/

I am sure that someone like @Copper10-8will have more information and relevant history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1