The Daily for Sunday Jan 10, 2021

richwmn

13 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning everyone.  Cat I'm not laughing at you.  It's dern cold!!!  Same as Cat, my houseplants reside on the pool deck.  My Christmas cactus is finally blooming, I think it was in cold storage for the last month.  LOL I love chocolate but bittersweet not so much.  And I am a Peculiar person too.

Will pass on the meal suggestion as we are having Tuna noodle casserole.

Prayers for all of us and congratulations to everyone, we made it through another week.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Habanero Blood Orange Margarita:

Ingredients
For the Blood Orange Habanero Puree:
2 pints blood orange juice 
1 whole habanero pepper
For the Margarita:
1/4 ounce lime juice (1 wedge; fresh)
1 1/2 ounces tequila (Gran Centenario Reposado)
1 ounce blood orange habanero puree
1 1/2 ounces sour mix
Garnish: 1/4 ounce mole negro (for rim)
Garnish: lime wedge

Make the Blood Orange Habanero Puree
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium saucepan, combine the blood orange juice and habanero pepper.
Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Reduce to medium-high heat until thickened into a syrup. 
Remove the pepper, allow to cool, then bottle.
Make the Habanero Blood Orange Margarita
Dip half a cocktail glass rim in mole negro.
In a cocktail shaker, squeeze a lime wedge and add the tequila, blood orange habanero puree, and sour mix.
Pack with ice and shake vigorously.
Strain into the prepared glass and garnish with a lime wedge.
Serve and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.59.38 AM.png

I need a good bartender.

St. Louis Sal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good for you.  I do wish I had seen him concert.  Wouldn't it be nice to have perform on a Holland America ship?

Funny you would say that...a few nights ago I dreamed he and his band were staying in a hotel I was staying in. I was trying to see if I could change my room to one next to them. As dreams do, suddenly the hotel was a cruise ship. I have no idea why I dreamed that. Maybe because I miss cruising and his concerts?? 😄

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good for you.  I do wish I had seen him concert.  Wouldn't it be nice to have perform on a Holland America ship?

I saw him in your area - way back - in Clearwater at Ruth Eckard Hall. Fun performance.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, baltic17 said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy and the drinks ladies.  That margarita looks fabulous.  I, too, like no wood chardonnay so it's good I live in Oregon where most Chardonnay isn't woody or buttery like California. 

Yesterday I mentioned a mask frame with a yogurt container.  The pattern came from Made By Barb.  https://www.madebybarb.com/2020/09/09/diy-face-mask-support-frame/

Here's a pic just placing it in an existing mask.  If you have a mask where you already put in a filter pocket, you can just slide it in.  I made a couple of pockets for existing mask (you can't see the frame) and just cut the ends to fit the width of the mask.  Itsure makes breathing a bit easier.  Plastic milk jugs work well too.

mask with frame.jpg

Oh, thank you. I enjoy the Made by Barb posts, so I’ll look that one up. I’ve never had an Oregon Chardonnay. Thanks for the tip that they taste unwooded!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm more than happy to share this with you: 

1 box of Stovetop stuffing

1 cup cooked salmon or 2 cans of salmon (drained)

1/4 cup mayo or Miracle Whip

2 Tbsp lemon juice

1 cup shredded cheese

3/4 cup water

2 or 3 green onions, chopped up

Dill - as much or as little as you like

Mix all together well, cover with saran wrap and put in fridge for about 30 mins.( I have done it after 15 mins and it was fine).  Form into patties using approx 1 heaping Tablespoonful for each and fry in pan, for about 3 mins on each side until they brown and melt cheese.   I used a non-stick pan and didn't have to use any extra oil. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you so much Gerry!  I’ll let you know when I make it. 

• Like 1

It’s me again: TiogaCruiser. (I can't log in to CC with my normal account on my Windows machine. For for now, this is a work around. 😐)

Day before yesterday I promised I would share a bit from my Antarctica cruise from 8 years ago. So I am a little late. K

Antarctica had been high on my list for several years, and at the time I booked, this cruise was expected to be HAL’s last (due to fuel regulations). We had tried the previous year and were not even able to get on the waiting list as the cruise sold out early. This was my first trip overseas (first solo cruise). DH had a new job, and no interest in going, and I had hundreds of vacation hours on the books. So when he said “Go if you want to”, I took a deep breath and went.

January 8/9 2013

The day was spent flying from LAX to Santiago, Chile. Flight, hotel and transfers were booked through HAL. Flying into SCL at dawn with the Andes to the east was exciting. And the area had a definite resemblance to California’s Central Valley area (complete with a coastal range of mountains, lots of agriculture and tall mountains to the East.) Thanks to lots of advice from CC members and HAL reps getting through the airport and paying the reciprocity fee was easy. My journal notes disappointment that we did not encounter the infamous sniffing dogs- the Dog Squad- that others had reported at customs and immigration.

The hotel was in an upscale section of Santiago and had a lovely pool area. Cooks were preparing a traditional barbeque (which I forwent at $79 US per person.)  Instead, I had a tasty seafood stew (with Conger) in the café.

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.05e306aafd548558b6bf2a0996ab738b.JPG

IMG_0134.thumb.JPG.47d0ab8508408b63b5bef762f18aaf35.JPG

That afternoon I joined a tour of Santiago offered through the HAL desk. It included a drive through the city, a park, the Plaza de Armas and several historical buildings.

IMG_0157.thumb.JPG.f3fb5f91c77380616cb70be044e0ce92.JPG

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.173d221a01c6938ea9a85cf00d00b1e5.JPGIMG_0173.thumb.JPG.43108e0bfda083a1177daed48e77d298.JPGIMG_0193.thumb.JPG.6aae2eebc8bcdd38ce991f7598dad91e.JPG

Santiagans have made an effort to preserve their historical buildings as earthquakes have taken their toll. As they are rebuilt, it is with a new “box” structure inside the old façade. It was exciting to see the Andes rising from the city.

IMG_0169.thumb.JPG.532ff0db922174908d0b89e2e21b7f23.JPG

Had dinner at the hotel (mushroom crepes) and retired early. The shift of 5 hours and a long, sleepless flight made that easy.

IMG_0215.JPG

Edited by TiogaCruiser2
  • Like 4