Alaska cruises from Vancover

Roaming Rover

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

You should know - it's the PVSA, not the Jones Act.

And the only waivers allowed on the PVSA are for national defense.  From the PVSA:

The PVSA can only be waived in the interest of national defense, pursuant to 46 U.S.C. § 501. Under 46 U.S.C. § 501(a), the Secretary of Defense may request the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to waive the PVSA to the extent the Secretary of Defense considers such a waiver necessary in the interest of national defense. In this instance, CBP, pursuant to a delegation of authority from the Secretary of DHS shall grant the waiver. For all other waiver requests, the Secretary of DHS is authorized to grant the waiver request if the Secretary of DHS considers it necessary in the interest of national defense (46 U.S.C. § 501(b)). It should be noted that in this latter instance, P.L. 110-417, section 3510, (122 Stat. 4356, enacted on October 14, 2008), amended § 501(b), to require that the Maritime Administrator be consulted regarding the non-availability of qualified United States flag capacity to meet national defense requirements, before the Secretary of DHS grants the waiver request.

Thanks for the correction.

8 hours ago, john2003 said:

My understanding is this is a virus not a Canadian issue.  The same discussion took place in the spring. My recollection was Alaska was no keener on cruise ships than BC was. I think it is somewhat inaccurate to paint Canada as the sole obstacle to Alaska cruises. In fact, we may be the least of the obstacles.

John 2003:

I  must first say If I had to live in Canada, Victoria would be my choice. I think you live in the nicest city in Canada. 

I was of the impression that Canada do not want American tourists currently.  If I am wrong, I apologise.  I think there were those in Juneau that were happy no cruise ships were coming. When they saw the effect on their livlihoods, many changed their minds. 

What boggles one's mind is the intentional or unintentional loophole that exists relative to a Canadian's ability to freely travel to Florida, Arizona, Mexico and the like to spend their winters, but no way can a US citizen cross the border (even if they agree to quarantine). You're PM seems to be mute on the subject..... go figure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is quite straightforward really. 

Canada does not prevent it's citizens from leaving the country, nor does it attempt to embargo travel to other countries.   

I believe that Americans can also leave the country at will but have closed their land borders to Canadians.

Not saying this is a good thing.  What are your proposing, banning citizens from leaving their country, whatever it may be?

3 minutes ago, iancal said:

Canada does not prevent it's citizens from leaving the country, nor does it attempt to embargo travel to other countries.   

That's precisely the loophole I mentioned..... Canadians can flock to the US by air..... but it's not reciprocal.

Edited by Lido - Lanai

Americans have most certainly been flying into Canada.  As have people from other countries.  We know of several who have been commuting from Arizona by plane.    The only change has been that anyone flying in to Canada on an international flight needs proof of a covid test within 72 hours of the flight.

Even since then, over forty plus international flights the stats indicate that 1.5 percent of those who did enter with a negative covid test proved to be positive within a  day or so of arrival.  

We are anticipating stricter measures in the near term for visitors arriving by air.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

What boggles one's mind is the intentional or unintentional loophole that exists relative to a Canadian's ability to freely travel to Florida, Arizona, Mexico and the like to spend their winters, but no way can a US citizen cross the border (even if they agree to quarantine). You're PM seems to be mute on the subject..... go figure. 

We're annoyed with the Canadians who took vacations while the rest of us grit our teeth. Belatedly, but inevitably, we are evolving to the Australasia model. Compulsory testing, AND quarantine hotels.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-patel/britain-cracks-down-on-travel-to-stop-virus-spread-idUSKBN29W1V6

International tourism is grinding to a halt because of the nasty variants. Most countries will bring covid under control, and will like to keep it under control. Sorry Happy Cruisers!

• Like 2

I think most of what I can say has been said. Worth stressing a couple of points.  Countries make their entry rules. If the US doesn't like Canadians going south the US could change that. Secondly, our entry rules are the same for any visitors, not specially harsh for Americans.

I have first hand experience with crossing the border. Our 4 year old dog had a very complicated  tumour. It was removed in Vancouver but she required radiation treatment that is not available in BC to avoid an almost certain recurrence. Following the oncologist's recommendation she was scheduled for the Vet School at Washington State University in Pullman. Our experience at the US border crossing was almost the most distressing experience of my life. Eventually we were let in, and the rest of the experience was wonderful. My point, coming into the US by vehicle can be very difficult even with documentation showing essential travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our friends from Toronto have not been able to come to their winter home here in Florida. The problem is 2 fold. They are not supposed to enter the USA unless it is essential travel. Secondly they are concerned about the virus being so badly controlled here! 

I am wondering how the other Canadians are getting here?

I am actually in the UK right now for my father's funeral. It was quite an experience to get here! I had to have a negative test in the 72 hrs before departure then fill out a locator form with penalty of fines if I stray from that location. I am under quarantine for 10 days. The covid police will come check on me at some point. I cannot leave the house or yard.  After the 10 days I will still be in the nations lockdown. We can go to the grocery store and doctors office but no where else. It has only been 3 days and I am already longing to go to the grocery store!!!  My biggest concern right now is that UK will implement the new restrictions on people leaving the UK. Only essential travel is going to be allowed. Of course me going home is essential but I am worried that the airlines will cancel flights because of few travelers.!

Coming over from Charlotte to Heathrow there were only 24 passengers on an Airbus!!! Unbelievable but nice! We each had about ten rows to use but they still did not allow us to use business or first class, they sat empty!!

Going home I need another negative test and then 14 days quarantine in my house!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Coming over from Charlotte to Heathrow there were only 24 passengers on an Airbus!!! Unbelievable but nice! We each had about ten rows to use but they still did not allow us to use business or first class, they sat empty!!

Lot's of sensible people. Thank You.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, john2003 said:

My understanding is this is a virus not a Canadian issue.  The same discussion took place in the spring. My recollection was Alaska was no keener on cruise ships than BC was. I think it is somewhat inaccurate to paint Canada as the sole obstacle to Alaska cruises. In fact, we may be the least of the obstacles.

I hear what you're saying but what was true last spring isn't necessarily true today.  Alaska is making preparations for a 2021 cruise season and births are already reserved for individual ships in most ports.  At this point in time, I think it is very fair to say that Canada is a significant obstacle.  I certainly would not say Canada is the least of obstacles.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I hear what you're saying but what was true last spring isn't necessarily true today.  Alaska is making preparations for a 2021 cruise season and births are already reserved for individual ships in most ports.  At this point in time, I think it is very fair to say that Canada is a significant obstacle.  I certainly would not say Canada is the least of obstacles.  

Too bad we're considered an obstacle.  I prefer to think of it as common sense especially with the US expected to hit 500K deaths soon.  It's a pandemic requiring many precautions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T8NCruise said:

Too bad we're considered an obstacle.  I prefer to think of it as common sense especially with the US expected to hit 500K deaths soon.  It's a pandemic requiring many precautions.

Well, congratulations.  You successfully changed the context of this thread and of my post just to get a couple of your countrymen to hit "like" on your post.  No one said it's not common sense.  The point is that it is still an obstacle to whether or not the Alaska cruise season exists this year.....you know, the actual topic of this thread.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, Lido - Lanai said:

Ugh!  Don’t even get me started on that. What’s worse is, Canadians are flocking to Florida to get vaccinated because they can’t get it in their own country.  Some foreigners like to run their mouths about how bad the numbers are in the US, but here they are in my country and in my state taking advantage of a medication they can’t get at home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Ugh!  Don’t even get me started on that. What’s worse is, Canadians are flocking to Florida to get vaccinated because they can’t get it in their own country.  Some foreigners like to run their mouths about how bad the numbers are in the US, but here they are in my country and in my state taking advantage of a medication they can’t get at home. 

Is that for real that non-US citizens can get COVID vaccines in the States?  If so, that is SO not right at a time when there currently aren't enough vaccines to immunize our own citizens. 

16 minutes ago, zelker said:

Is that for real that non-US citizens can get COVID vaccines in the States?  If so, that is SO not right at a time when there currently aren't enough vaccines to immunize our own citizens. 

I don’t know but the governor of Florida felt he had to make a statement concerning tourist vaccinations.   

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/us/vaccine-tourism-florida-new-york/index.html

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, zelker said:

Unfortunately, it is.  Florida is the only state I'm aware of that is doing it.  I can kinda understand their line of thinking, given all the snowbirds in the state.  However, like Cruz eluded to, Canadians are allowed to fly into the US right now practically unchallenged.  As such, Canadian snowbirds are taking advantage in order to get their vaccines.  All they need to show is some sort of ID, which includes short term lease agreements.  Many actually own second homes in FL anyways.  

My MIL lives in the Tampa area.  She was actually bumped from her appointment due to a hoard of Quebecers who flooded the clinic.  From what I was told, they caused such a scene that the police had to be called.  I was livid and I made a few phone calls to certain FL politicians.  

From what I understand, FL got a lot of bad press because of this and they are starting to walk back this policy.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Sadly it is very true. It’s been in the news for awhile. Despicable. 

• Like 3

I don't agree with this either but as I said, the US makes the rules on who can enter and who can get vaccinated.

I would also add that harbor authorities don't make the health rules. I am sure Victoria and Vancouver also have berth assignments for the scheduled calls. Not sure it means much.

Edited by john2003
Added a further comment
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Well, congratulations.  You successfully changed the context of this thread and of my post just to get a couple of your countrymen to hit "like" on your post.  No one said it's not common sense.  The point is that it is still an obstacle to whether or not the Alaska cruise season exists this year.....you know, the actual topic of this thread.  🙄

Dear oh dear, touched a nerve?  The context of the thread was not changed except by your anti-Canadian post, as evidenced further on.  Nor do I care who "likes" a post of mine or not.  Do you actually take the time to see who does that?  

• Like 2

Frankly I am appalled by the negative comments.  Mostly I just scroll on by,  but I realize when people are stressed their intolerance increases.  

Each country sets their own policies re entry, vaccines etc.  For years my Aunt from Seattle came to purchase her drugs in Canada, saved her hundred of dollars each month thanks to Canadian drug prices.  No one shamed her for doing so, even though she was benefiting from Canadian drug prices. 

Please note, I am not saying I agree with Canadians getting shots in the US,  I am only saying it is the right of the US to do as it wants in this situation.  Our government is actively taking steps to prevent nonessential travel.  Who each country admits is that country’s decisions. 

Our countries are deeply entwined.  After 9/11 Gander took in, fed and housed thousands of stranded Americans.  Teams from Canada went to NYC to help debrief NYPD.   

We have been good neighbours for years,  let’s continue that tradition while each country does what is best for its citizens to stop this pandemic.  We all need to work together to overcome this.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Dear oh dear, touched a nerve?  The context of the thread was not changed except by your anti-Canadian post, as evidenced further on. 

So it’s “anti-Canadian” to point out the fact that closed Canadian ports is a barrier to Alaska cruising?  Huh?  I know there are some sensitive types on these boards, but that’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Canadians that are coming to Florida, aren't just coming for the shot. They own property here, pay property taxes, and spend their money just like everybody else. By the way, there is no problem with the number of vaccines available, it's getting them to the right people in the states. Each state is doing the rollout differently. That's most of the problem. In Florida, no appointment, just be breathing when you show up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1