Compulsory Vaccinations now being required by a major U.K. based cruise line for 2021.

I am interested in understanding how the “vaccine” makes cruising safe.  There is no proof that it keeps you from contracting and/or spreading COVID...only that it reduces the severity of illness due to an increase in circulating antibodies. Pre-market studies determined that the level of antibodies begins to decrease around day 90 with no understanding of the level of antibodies needed to reduce the severity of disease.  There are confirmed cases of folks being infected twice, which indicates that they did not create adequate protective antibodies from the first infection, or that the antibodies decreased to a level that allowed re-infection.   If the “vaccine” only gives you 3 months of protection (or perhaps long, but unknown), will vaccine certificates need to have expiration dates and/or will you need to time additional doses to ensure coverage during a cruise?

20 hours ago, Wizpharm2 said:

I am interested in understanding how the “vaccine” makes cruising safe.

Here’s a good description of how mRNA vaccines work.  It’s more than just antibodies.  May have a pay wall, can get around by quickly hitting “reader view” if using Safari.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/moderna-covid-19-vaccine.html

22 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Here’s a good description of how mRNA vaccines work.  It’s more than just antibodies.  May have a pay wall, can get around by quickly hitting “reader view” if using Safari.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/moderna-covid-19-vaccine.html

Very interesting.. thanks for sharing. Too bad there are gloom and doom folks out there. They should take some time to do their homework. 
These vaccines are great. More than just protecting us for a period of time, it can create herd immunity and maybe the virus will disappear. 
We hope we can cruise again in October..

sheila

34 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We hope we can cruise again in October..

The virus will be around forever, in one guise or another.  The key for returning to normalcy is for everyone not wearing a tin-foil hat to get vaccinated, and keep up their yearly booster routine (a la the flu vaccine).

The best thing about getting vaccinated, especially for those of us with extensive life-experience,  is that it turns covid from a life-threatening disease to just an annoyance, if caught despite having been vaccinated.

So, very soon, sufficient numbers of “experienced” people with excess funds will be vaccinated for the cruise lines to start sailing.  Perhaps starting with cruises to nowhere, and/or to private islands, etc.  And the best part is, in the beginning, there will not be any whippersnappers under 65 on board hogging all the booze 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hoping I am not being labeled as a “gloom & doomer” for posing a question.  I’m trying to “ follow the science”...the referenced article clearly states there is no data available regarding any protection beyond 90 days.  With additional data regarding long term protection (or reduction in severity of illness), I can understand why the CDC might not want to open up cruising.  Personally, we saw our 90 day cruise of a lifetime cancelled last year, and with advancing age and health issues, we would like nothing better than to be able to board tomorrow and see the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wizpharm2 said:

Hoping I am not being labeled as a “gloom & doomer” for posing a question.  I’m trying to “ follow the science”...the referenced article clearly states there is no data available regarding any protection beyond 90 days.  With additional data regarding long term protection (or reduction in severity of illness), I can understand why the CDC might not want to open up cruising.  Personally, we saw our 90 day cruise of a lifetime cancelled last year, and with advancing age and health issues, we would like nothing better than to be able to board tomorrow and see the world.

Actually, it’s good to bring this up, as it is an interesting, and germane,  topic.  Cruisers need to stay on top of the latest info.  We can post any data we find on immunity longevity, whether vaccinated people can spread covid, etc. here.  

• Haha 1

Some of the articles I've read indicate the Covid vaccine may last up to a year, two or possibly three.  However, most likely we will need to get an annual Covid vaccine.  

Will schedule my second Covid Vaccine next Februrary.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/length-of-covid-19-vaccine-immunity-5094857

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The key for returning to normalcy is for everyone not wearing a tin-foil hat to get vaccinated, and keep up their yearly booster routine (a la the flu vaccine).

It is interesting to see how effective the combination of vaccination, social distancing, lockdowns & personal hygiene has been in defeating the flu this year:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-lockdowns-and-new-health-habits-help-number-of-flu-sufferers-fall-to-130-year-low-12204516

Now we just need to get the upper hand with the more contagious Covid-19 virus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wizpharm2 said:

the referenced article clearly states there is no data available regarding any protection beyond 90 days.

This is because the whole study and emergency use authorization was done at "warp speed," and there was no data past 90 days.  As time goes on, we should have more data about how long the protection lasts.  Initially, there were reports that immunity persisted for "at least 90 days" after infection, and then in December there were reports that the immunity lasted at least 6 months.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/943154

The referenced report of 90 days immunity after the vaccine was also in December.  So perhaps in March we might see reports that the vaccine induced immunity lasts at least 6 months, and that immunity after infection lasts at least 9 months.  Or perhaps we won't.  But the point is that just because you see a report saying it lasts at least 90 days does not mean it won't last longer.  It just means that not enough time has gone by yet to determine just how much longer that is. 

It is truly amazing that the vaccine data is only 3 months behind the data for natural infection.  We have learned a lot in the past year, but we still have a lot more to learn.  I prefer to look at my glass as half full, even though in my state they have not yet offered vaccines to the general population less than 70.  (I am almost 70, but almost does not get me anywhere here.)  I am still impatient for the vaccine and for more data about how long it will last. But I am also very aware that I should make the best of the time I have right now, because I won't get it back.

I can't see any reason someone wouldn't take the vaccine unless your doctor said no.  As things are getting a little better now with Covid cases, we'll see what happens after Super Bowl Sunday events and parties.  I just don't understand why people think they should do what they want during the Covid.  

The initial covid deaths in the spring were mostly due to a general lack of understanding of the virus, by professionals and lay people.  The current shocking death toll is due to people gathering for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years when they knew full-well that they shouldn’t.  I wonder how many will die from superbowl parties....

• Thanks 1