Article: "US Cruises Not Likely to Resume Until Fourth Quarter, or Early 2022"

Lee Cruiser

This tells you alot. My husband was diagnosed with COVID - we were together for two days before his positive came in, but since this started we have been distancing and wearing masks even inside. I have kept to the spare room and I have been tested twice since this happened 12 days ago and I am still negative - so yes, masks and social distancing, plenty of handwashing as well works.

Now onto the topic at hand. We have a October 25th cruise booked. I am hoping that we are good by then. Its a short 4 day on the Conquest. If that gets cancelled I will probably roll over that to upgrade our March Carnival Sailabration cruise from the 5 day Ecstasy to either the Pride or Mardi Gras depending on what's available with the Sunrise as the 3rd choice. 

It is either going to sail or it isn't - I have now had 3 cruises cancelled, so I am not sweating it - just gotta live each day as it comes! 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, paulypride said:

This tells you alot. My husband was diagnosed with COVID - we were together for two days before his positive came in, but since this started we have been distancing and wearing masks even inside. I have kept to the spare room and I have been tested twice since this happened 12 days ago and I am still negative - so yes, masks and social distancing, plenty of handwashing as well works.

Now onto the topic at hand. We have a October 25th cruise booked. I am hoping that we are good by then. Its a short 4 day on the Conquest. If that gets cancelled I will probably roll over that to upgrade our March Carnival Sailabration cruise from the 5 day Ecstasy to either the Pride or Mardi Gras depending on what's available with the Sunrise as the 3rd choice. 

It is either going to sail or it isn't - I have now had 3 cruises cancelled, so I am not sweating it - just gotta live each day as it comes! 

Best of luck to you and your husband. I hope he starts feeling well soon, if he hasn't already rebounded!

We have a cruise slated for late June that's not even listed anymore on the Carnival site, but I'm still officially booked for it. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it's canceled. Mask wearing is certainly sporadic where I live in North Carolina. My general perception is that those in rural areas tend to just think they're immune to the spread, until they find out they aren't. 

I've given a nice 'heart' to a few of the more political posts I've seen on these two pages for which I agree with the facts and logic. I'm hopeful we're going to turn the corner soon in this country. It certainly seems like the new administration is determined to move heaven and earth to fight this pandemic with everything they have. I believe they understand it's the number one issue in the country right now, and nothing else really matters until the virus is under control. I surely wish science hadn't become so politicized. 

Be safe and kind, folks. We'll be back on ships before we know it. . .right? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I know this is just a guess on their part, but it goes along with what many on here have been saying.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/u-s-cruises-not-likely-to-resume-until-fourth-quarter-or-early-2022-analyst-says-51611330470?siteid=yhoof2

This is the bit that grabbed me:

"He expects “leisure demand to be the strongest out of the box

as people have been cooped up at home the past year

and have been saving their disposable incomes.”"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

This is the bit that grabbed me:

"He expects “leisure demand to be the strongest out of the box

as people have been cooped up at home the past year

and have been saving their disposable incomes.”"

I wouldn't doubt it.  After 4 cruises cancelled, 4 Disneyworld vacays cancelled (#5 upcoming 5/1 if we don't get vaccinated by then, which I doubt we will), 1 Galapagos bucket trip cancelled, and numerous trips down to our FLL condo cancelled we really need a vacation.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lesnpaula said:

Best of luck to you and your husband. I hope he starts feeling well soon, if he hasn't already rebounded!

We have a cruise slated for late June that's not even listed anymore on the Carnival site, but I'm still officially booked for it. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it's canceled. Mask wearing is certainly sporadic where I live in North Carolina. My general perception is that those in rural areas tend to just think they're immune to the spread, until they find out they aren't. 

I've given a nice 'heart' to a few of the more political posts I've seen on these two pages for which I agree with the facts and logic. I'm hopeful we're going to turn the corner soon in this country. It certainly seems like the new administration is determined to move heaven and earth to fight this pandemic with everything they have. I believe they understand it's the number one issue in the country right now, and nothing else really matters until the virus is under control. I surely wish science hadn't become so politicized. 

Be safe and kind, folks. We'll be back on ships before we know it. . .right? 

Safe & Kind! That is certainly what we need more of these days!!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

California has some of the strictest lockdown and mask requirements in the country and yet it's a mess with the virus.

And that's because so many of my fellow Californians don't follow the lockdown and mask requirements.

• Like 6

Hard to say how long it will be.   With the quarantine for people who have travelled internationally coming into effect shortly, demand will probably go down as a lot of people don't have 10 days to spend after a cruise.   For those of us travelling in from Canada (or another country) to sail, we are looking at approx 24 days on either end of cruise in quarantine (can't you just imagine what that would cost?) and then another 14 once we get home.....  The cruise lines probably have a lot to consider (or perhaps waiting to see if the quarantine will be required at the end of a cruise - or even if a B2B will be allowed)

I don't blame the cruise lines or the US for trying to keep everyone safe and get this under control.... just mad at the virus.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:58 PM, Organized Chaos said:

We booked our Jan. 4, 2021 cruise back in April when they ran some good sales. Never imagined it would be at risk of cancellation. I remained confident for months that it would happen.

I'm not trying to start a political argument, but I've been saying for several months that I believed the election results would play a very big role in the return of cruising. One guy wanted to reopen the country, the other...well, here we are. I'm still choosing to be optimistic and hope they return by summer, but it's anybody's guess at this point.

Between 3 and 5 thousand people are dying a day of the virus in the US.  It doesn't matter who the President is the fact that the virus continues to spiral out of control is the reason no ship will sail from US ports anytime soon.  I don't understand how any reasonable person can continue to book cruises knowing that you are just throwing good money after bad giving these billion dollar corporations interest free loans.  It's not a guess at this point.  It is a very easy to see fact that until this vaccine actually starts working those ships aren't going anywhere and it has zero to do with who is in the Oval office.  The realistic approach has served me well at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, skridge said:

Between 3 and 5 thousand people are dying a day of the virus in the US.  It doesn't matter who the President is the fact that the virus continues to spiral out of control is the reason no ship will sail from US ports anytime soon.  I don't understand how any reasonable person can continue to book cruises knowing that you are just throwing good money after bad giving these billion dollar corporations interest free loans.  It's not a guess at this point.  It is a very easy to see fact that until this vaccine actually starts working those ships aren't going anywhere and it has zero to do with who is in the Oval office.  The realistic approach has served me well at this point.

Everything you said is probably correct.  No arguments from me.  With that said, I have 4 cruises booked.  2 cruises were booked prior to covid - non refundable deposits. (the one with royal was lifted and shifted to this year) and two after covid.  Does it make financial sense, no probably not.  But with all the death and unpleasantness that this virus brings I just needed something good to look forward to and plan for.  A bright spot in all the bleak and dark unpleasantness.  I truly believe (need to believe) that cruising will start soon.  I agree that it may not start until the fall but I do believe that it will start again and I will be ready! 😜

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 8:04 PM, lidoplease said:

I am from SC and I see absolutely no one without a mask anywhere. You aren't allowed inside any building without a mask. Am I sick of it? Yes. Do I wear one. You bet I do. And I have never seen anyone without a mask. Not in any store or restaurant, unless you are at your table eating. People here are compliant and caring of others. I don't know where rs45 is from, but I live in a suburb of Charleston.

You don't want to come to the upstate of SC then. Grocery stores and Walmart maybe 60% with masks on. Many people think masks are a joke here.No enforcement at all,  Even store and restauant employees just have masks on down on their neck not covering there mouth or nose, we just go in a store or restauant for to go and get out fast.

Edited by cruisingrandy
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2021 at 8:04 PM, lidoplease said:

I am from SC and I see absolutely no one without a mask anywhere. You aren't allowed inside any building without a mask. Am I sick of it? Yes. Do I wear one. You bet I do. And I have never seen anyone without a mask. Not in any store or restaurant, unless you are at your table eating. People here are compliant and caring of others. I don't know where rs45 is from, but I live in a suburb of Charleston.

I am in the Myrtle Beach area. Most stores and restaurants require a mask. Was at a restaurant in Conway last might, which is 10 miles from Myrtle and no one except the staff, wore a mask. We wore ours in and out of restaurant but were the only ones!!

12 hours ago, skridge said:

The reason we keep booking is because we have FCC with OBC from 7 cruises on the books right now. Would do me no good to ask for a refund as I paid for all of them with gift cards. Booked all the way into 2023 at this point.

I'll just address the "Why are people still booking?" question:

We are very confident cruising will begin again at some point, and that Carnival will not go belly up (this isn't to address stock/bankruptcy concerns. Only that as a traveler, we are confident our bookings will eventually be honored). 

With that said, Carnival is offering some very good sales/rates, and quite a bit of onboard credit if they cancel. Our "gamble" is that once we do sail, we will have quite a bit more value in our booking than we actually paid. It's sort of an "interest free" loan, but with $600 OBC possible, we could end up cruising for far less than we usually spend. 

That said, we don't have our hearts set on any specific sailing date, and unlike some folks we can cruise during most times of the year. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, Lady_E said:

I live outside of Detroit.  People are idiots and I see them without masks all over the place.  Florida is RAMPANT with refusals to wear masks. 

Add that to the idiots who went to concerts and rallies and no wonder we've got 400,000 dead. 

Wear your mask. 

From Florida. I went to the grocery store this afternoon. Stopped counting maskless people when I got to 25. The store even makes announcements that you need to wear a mask to shop there. But they don't kick people out who won't, so many don't.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, opshannon said:

From Florida. I went to the grocery store this afternoon. Stopped counting maskless people when I got to 25. The store even makes announcements that you need to wear a mask to shop there. But they don't kick people out who won't, so many don't.

Covid cases are no lower in states with strict masks orders and bans on dining and capacity limits than those without. There is plenty of recent research on this.

The only effective method to avoid covid is to isolate yourself from a source.

Large number of nursing home patients continue to get covid and die from it. The workers at these places are the major source of spread and they follow all the mask wearing, hand washing, distancing stuff and it still does not work.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Please cite this "research" you speak of.

List the immunologists, scientists and peer-reviewed researchers who've proven such an idea.

Now it is true that some states - either densely populated, politically Red or both - have orders in place without adequate enforcement.  But it is utterly untrue to imply that consistent use of masks and distancing makes no difference.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-facemasks-idUSKBN27Y1YW

An actual scientific study, in fact, showed masks didn’t effect the spread. Maybe it’s because people aren’t wearing them right. Maybe masks work. But anyone who is depending on masks to protect them are basing it on a wish, not science.

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 4

Well, there is good new and bad news. First the bad news. Australia indicates that its people may not travel internationally until the end of the year. Does not look good for cruise travel down under.

The good news is that two countries have opened to tourism for vaccinated travelers. Romania and Seychelles will allow visitors who are 2 to 3 weeks after the second dose. 

At this rate the world will be back to normal in fiscal 2052. 

9 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

I'll just address the "Why are people still booking?" question:

We are very confident cruising will begin again at some point, and that Carnival will not go belly up (this isn't to address stock/bankruptcy concerns. Only that as a traveler, we are confident our bookings will eventually be honored). 

With that said, Carnival is offering some very good sales/rates, and quite a bit of onboard credit if they cancel. Our "gamble" is that once we do sail, we will have quite a bit more value in our booking than we actually paid. It's sort of an "interest free" loan, but with $600 OBC possible, we could end up cruising for far less than we usually spend. 

That said, we don't have our hearts set on any specific sailing date, and unlike some folks we can cruise during most times of the year. 

You are very confident that a company that has been losing a billion dollars every couple of months since March is not going to file bankruptcy, when there is no end to this in sight.  I think they probably will not go bankrupt because of the millions of dollars in interest free loans many have been willing to give them, but I wouldn't bet any of my money on it.  

• Like 1

I was going to wait until the new rules are actually laid out, but I canceled my 2021 today. Alas it was also a 14 day.. that was suppose to sail the day before (Oct 31st)  longer than 7 day cruises would be allowed anyways. 

The possibility of mandatory quarantine settled it for me though. If a 7-14 day is mandatory, why would they let me get on a plane after? I would probably be fine with a quarantine at home, and plan on having to do it in April/May after a Mexico trip. But.. a 14 day quarantine, with a hotel/food costs involved, after spending 7-14 days on a ship that I was limited in what I could do off the ship only with approved excursions? 

I feel bad for my TA though! He offered to keep his OBC offer, add on the $600 credit from Carnival because it was booked from a cancel, if I kept the $$ there and moved it to my 2023 cruise, that already has over $1000 OBC on it from my TA + Carnival. 

I was hoping unknowns would be cleared up almost a year later, but honestly, we know as little now as we did 9 months ago when cruises stopped about restarting. 

2 minutes ago, Jasalth said:

I was going to wait until the new rules are actually laid out, but I canceled my 2021 today. Alas it was also a 14 day.. that was suppose to sail the day before (Oct 31st)  longer than 7 day cruises would be allowed anyways. 

The possibility of mandatory quarantine settled it for me though. If a 7-14 day is mandatory, why would they let me get on a plane after? I would probably be fine with a quarantine at home, and plan on having to do it in April/May after a Mexico trip. But.. a 14 day quarantine, with a hotel/food costs involved, after spending 7-14 days on a ship that I was limited in what I could do off the ship only with approved excursions? 

I feel bad for my TA though! He offered to keep his OBC offer, add on the $600 credit from Carnival because it was booked from a cancel, if I kept the $$ there and moved it to my 2023 cruise, that already has over $1000 OBC on it from my TA + Carnival. 

I was hoping unknowns would be cleared up almost a year later, but honestly, we know as little now as we did 9 months ago when cruises stopped about restarting. 

I feel the same way.

Too many unknowns from actual schedules and itineraries that will be in place, all the restrictions that make it no fun, possible quarantines.

Land vacations until all this is cleared up.

2 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-facemasks-idUSKBN27Y1YW

An actual scientific study, in fact, showed masks didn’t effect the spread. Maybe it’s because people aren’t wearing them right. Maybe masks work. But anyone who is depending on masks to protect them are basing it on a wish, not science.

The science has repeatedly shown that masks help prevent the spread and may actually reduce the viral load should you come into contact with someone with Covid. 

But in no way would I 'DEPEND' on a mask. I treat everyone I encounter as if they are carrying the virus. I practice good social distancing, wear a mask when in public and wash my hands frequently — and generally avoid crowds in general overall. I'm not 'depending' on a mask to do all the heavy lifting, it's just one part of the overall battle plan to try to avoid this thing until I/we get vaccinated. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, quickrate said:

The reason we keep booking is because we have FCC with OBC from 7 cruises on the books right now. Would do me no good to ask for a refund as I paid for all of them with gift cards. Booked all the way into 2023 at this point.

If no one rebooked or waiting, you would see cruise lines going under. They depend on these "interest free loans" 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:07 PM, john91498 said:

Yes, I mean the US since the majority of the members on this site is from the US.

Uh, no, that isn't true. Plenty of people on here are from Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, as well as countries in Asia and South America. I have never seen an actual poll taken, but Americans are definitely not most of the people on CC. It would be interesting to see the statistics, actually.

• Like 1