The Daily for Tuesday Jan 26, 2021

richwmn

today is Australia Day, Spouse's Day, and Speak Up and Succeed Day

The idea is to die young as late as possible.
        -- Ashley Montagu

Meal suggestion for today - Skillet Mac & Cheese

Drink of the Day - Bamboo

Wine of the day - Elena Walch Gewurtztraminer - Italy - White

at Sea Pacific off San Diego
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Koningsdam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0126World.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, Happy Tuesday!  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I would like to visit Australia someday.  I love my spouse.  I do speak up on some matters, hope I succeed.

Good quote.

Your meal suggestion sounds good, thanks, we may have that.

I'll be interested in reading about the drink of the day and the wine.

Praying for everyone.

Have a good day.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

Thank you for the Australia Day (or perhaps the day after Australia Day on their side of the dateline, still 10:30PM on their day) Daily, Rich.  Cheers to spouses and speaking up and succeeding.  Montagu's quote really rings true.  My planned dinner (weather permitting) is take out mac and cheese from Panera, perhaps I will reheat it today in a skillet.  My alternative is Pineapple Kiwi Strawberry, Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup, Australian Grilled Lamb Chops, and Aissie Carrot Cake with lemon curd, as served on MS Prinsendam January 26, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes26.jpg

The Penguins were dressed for the occasion:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/penguinoioioi..jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

A new community case in New Zealand

Mamaofami’s friend in hospice

My brother facing back surgery

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s nephew and her BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Dogs back in White House

Vaccine appointment for durangoscots

First jab for USN59-79

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for the folks in Australia - we made some new friends from there on our last cruise.  I love my spouse; I'm pretty lucky to have had him for the past 43 years.  If you don't speak up, you allow others to control situations.  I've never been reticent in that respect.  LOL

It's still u-g-l-y cold out today (-32C, with a wind chill of -42C), so yesterday's meal was changed from grilled chicken Caesar salad to hot turkey soup.   After Christmas I took the turkey carcass, split it into 2 zip-lock bags and froze it for later use.  One of those bags came into play yesterday along with vegetables and a soup mix of peas, beans, barley, etc.  It was serious comfort food on a night when you don't even think about going outside.  Guess what's for dinner tonight?  Leftovers!   And wine. I've run out of fresh buns though, (DH uses them for sandwiches instead of bread slices), so the house will have the tantalizing aroma of fresh baked buns as well.  Oh,  I did salute my foster parents and all that is Scottish with a nice glass of Macallan 18 last night as I continued to knit toques for inner-city school children. 

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do. Raising the wine glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Wishing the wonderful people of Australia a great day.  We would love to return one of these days.

Every day is spouse’s day here and sadly I speak up way too much 😉 

Love the Montagu quote.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion as we sill have some French onion roast beef leftover. Intrigued by the drink and wine of the day and looking forward to hearing about them.

Snow is on the way as KirkNc said but it doesn’t bother some people :

AD9061C5-BCB3-4B30-A712-1BE17238F196.jpeg.91c14201b334fd9ad4428d1574d582cc.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list!

I have a busy day today:

A37CEE0C-D37F-419D-B278-D0358E5F9F6C.jpeg.d34937913a1ee43792c5fcf911a11b30.jpeg

No wonder I am worn out this week already 😉 

AADF3D75-A25B-409A-B0D4-AE58ED14D0C6.jpeg.7e115bdb93b8ffdbc8a5ad72caa2d1a2.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 26
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Three cheers for Australia 🇦🇺, the land of Bindi’s heritage! I will have to pass on Spouse’s Day. So I will try my best to speak up & succeed. 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists! Happy to hear that your brother believes his weakness was just jet lag.  Morning Dailyites.  Mother Nature greeted Bindi & me with a work of art this morning! Love the cloud pattern! 

Great quote. Pass on the meal. I have never even heard of today’s drink!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating.
Stay well everyone!

This Italian wine has very good ratings an a fair price. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $37.49. Not usually a fan of this wine, but I would at least taste this to try it.

Winemaker Notes

This Gewurztraminer, with its typical dry Alto Adige charm and personality, gleams in intense straw yellow with hints of gold reflections. Classic Gewürztraminer notes are mirrored in the bouquet – intensively aromatic notes of rose petals, flowers and spices. The wine presents itself rich in finesse on the palate, with fresh fullness, harmonic elegance and a long finish.
WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: The 2019 Elena Walch Gewürztraminer exhibits beautiful fruit and a pleasing palate. TASTING NOTES: This wine deftly combines aromas and flavors of ripe fruit, chalk, earth, dried herbs, and a hint of flowers. (Tasted: August 22, 2020, San Francisco, CA)

DF194409-4ECB-418C-B0C5-31456AE06A5A.jpeg

• Like 18

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
Celebrity Edge in for the day according to PEV schedule.

According to some travel site emails received today is National Plan A Vacation Day. I suggest we all support this 😀

Dinner tonight is sausage stew. Perfect for a rainy/snowy day.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 13

Good morning.  Late today as we started a new jigsaw puzzle and lost track of time.  Thank you Rich and Roy for our information.  Congrats to Australia.  Hope to visit someday.  Love my spouse of 55 years.  I speak up more than I should and sometimes succeed at it.  The meal sounds wonderful, may be tonights dinner.  I agree with the quote.

Congratulations and shout outs to all of us, we made it to January 25.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Bamboo cocktail:

Ingredients. 1 1/2 oz Dry sherry. 1 1/2 oz Dry vermouth. 1 dash Angostura bitters. 1 dash Orange bitters. Garnish: Lemon twist.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 9.22.47 AM.png

• Like 19

I  loved  seeing  the  "dogs  back  in  the  White  House" on  the  congratulatory list. They  are  two beautiful  dogs. It  is  always  spouse  day  here  as  well. If  anyone  can  keep  us  laughing  in  these  trying  times it  is DH. Dinner  tonight  will  be  a  beef  stew  but  the  mac   and  cheese  sounds  great.Terry

• Like 16

Good morning, and as always, thanks for the Daily!

Prayers for those on the care list, and we are always glad to celebrate the other list.

Spouses Day is perpetual here, and when it comes to that...I speak up often and succeed just as often as she says I do 😁

We made friends on our Alaska cruise tour and in a perfect world we'd someday visit them in Australia.

We enjoyed a lovely sunrise when we visited St. Thomas in 2017.

A.thumb.JPG.d64e1310741c923f27655b34f5a26656.JPG

Stay safe and healthy and let's all thumb our noses at this virus someday as we sail off into the sunset.

Have a great day, everyone!

Lori & George

• Like 20

Good morning. I woke to the news that my fiend in hospice will only have a few more days to live. Her kids are scattered all over the US and haven’t had the vaccine so will not be able to attend the funeral which will be zoomed.

On a lesser note, my grandson left his car on a street in LA and it was towed in December. He might have to fly from NY to  LA to get the car released and secure long term parking. He’s young and still learning. Still, there’s so much covid in LA, I wish  there was a better solution. He works for a company in LA and has been working remotely from his parents’ home in NY.

Stay safe and wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Thank you for your list Roy. BTW @rafinmd the link to the picture of the penguins didn’t work. 

I will celebrate spouse day. The meal suggestion sounds good but soup sounds even better. I like the idea of @ger_77 soup and have a chicken carcass in the fridge from a rotisserie chicken I bought for pot pie. I shredded the chicken and froze it for the future pie. 

We did get snow flurries, of course nothing like everyone north of us, but it’s always fun to get a bit of snow here. We are high desert so we get snow every few years or so. 

This is, of course, the back yard:

A1A61C15-0027-4056-B62F-D688E19411FD.thumb.jpeg.076003129fedf4473040b974cc09eaba.jpeg

This out the front door ( @Quartzsite Cruiser you can see our Ocotillo). 

F9B44823-6D07-4666-9D64-B15EB83D228F.thumb.jpeg.7765c1b50d291d7be5e3152f99383405.jpeg

This is part of the roof:

24932E60-8FE4-465E-B536-B6D1420F494B.thumb.jpeg.fcc541b1c5a5b64f5392b29e9546d5e5.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

A wise spouse would make every day Spouse's Day.

Yesterday's neeps and tatties were a real taste treat, it had been a long time since we boiled up rutabagas and potatoes and mashed them together! The toast to Robert Burns with 12 year old Glenlivet was also quite enjoyable. And we finished the trifle (picture posted late in the Sunday Daily in case you missed it).

Returning to our Grand Canyon Train Trip, Here are some pictures of the canyon. It is an amazing sight and photos don't come close to doing it justice -

1200482720_DSC00766(2).thumb.JPG.69d480263845a41082d9c346fd59fd20.JPG

DSC00770.thumb.JPG.9e5648f69de0f8f50f55858380fe7e10.JPG

DSC00771.thumb.JPG.e158c00eb90663e4841e5256eda89363.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
Spelling
  • Like 20

Good morning  from a sunny ☀️ and only breezy, but cold Arizona.  Will celebrate all the days, but probably watch how much I follow the third one.  Have enjoyed our visits to Australia and hope to get back there sometime.  Happy Australia day to our Aussie friends.

With all the people arriving this month, we have not seen as much of our resident rabbits and the roadrunners.

This is one of the few pictures I have of one of the rabbits, who are very hard to photograph.

DSC09167.thumb.JPG.b6f29b39741a83ff73316ef3a1bd6eb8.JPG

The roadrunners are even harder to photograph.

DSC09084.thumb.JPG.c26b68030ae5aaa50cd2775fb0eca04b.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The roadrunners are even harder to photograph.

DSC09084.thumb.JPG.c26b68030ae5aaa50cd2775fb0eca04b.JPG

Love and miss those chaparrals!  Don't know in which part of Texas you used to live, but back in the early '70s we could still occasionally see them on the streets of Dallas (didn't mean actual downtown Dallas, but in some of the outlying residential areas). 

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 4