The Daily for Tuesday Jan 26, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich and Roy for hosting the party!  DD's favourite wine is a gewurtztraminer, we always found it rather too sweet, but we found one here that we liked, so we make it!  Actually we haven't made it for some time, perhaps today is reminder to order some.

Our winter weather is not as bad as some of the other provinces, but,

0c27bba5-b565-4bce-9485-6182034f4460.jpg.97b0fbcf7b8becb3fdb818e1b0177919.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

Good morning, all! Like many who were cruising last March, Australia was the last place we travelled to. I loved what I saw of it! Every day is Spouses Day. DH spoils me, so he deserves it! I try to speak up, but sometimes the moment just passes. Mac and cheese sounds good, but we’ll have The rest of the stuffed cauliflower I made yesterday. It was definitely a Pinterest win, and will go on file for future use!

Not a lot planned for today, just keep warm and keep safe.

Happy Tuesday, and wishing I was looking down at the real thing today!

04B9DF1D-576D-4D93-A69C-EE52C2D509A5.jpeg

• Like 15

Good Afternoon to everyone from a warm and sunny day here at the beach. Although very noisy. The Airforce is doing maneuvers  and the planes are quite loud.  Such a problem ! LOL.

Would love to get to Australia some day. Actually had a trip booked a few years ago but.. Life happens.  

It is always spouses day at my house. 

• Like 11

Good Afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Verizon Fios is having issues in my area, so pages wouldn't load earlier.

Love Australia. I cruised from Auckland, NZ to Sydney in 2006. No spouse. I like speak up and succeed.

I like the quote.

Mac and cheese sounds yummy, but trying to watch carbs right now. Never heard of bamboo cocktail.

I got excited earlier as I clicked on links for the 4 remaining vaccination dates this week of the county health dept. I actually got to the registration page for Saturday. Went through all the pages, with lots of spinning (I thought just overload but may have been the Verizon issue), only to get to the scheduling page with no appointments open. Oh well, closest I've gotten.

@mamaofami Sad news. 

Prayers for the Care list and cheers to the Celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask!

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks all!  

We spoke to our Australian friends who were celebrating yesterday,  the date line always does a number on us with birthdays, Christmas.  We met them on a HAL cruise,  and they had 100 days in Brisbane with no community spread,  so had a normal Christmas!  Our politicians say they aren’t chasing zero,  I wish they were, sigh!  We have the South African and UK variant, and now have an unknown source for one of the UK variants so concerned about community spread.  

Still a winter wonderland here, a contrast to our usual January home...

image.png.44f06dc81868007688d466667bf5de15.png

CFEEDFE7-2C7D-4581-8875-570F49389F2E.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Wishing the wonderful people of Australia a great day.  We would love to return one of these days.

Every day is spouse’s day here and sadly I speak up way too much 😉 

Love the Montagu quote.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion as we sill have some French onion roast beef leftover. Intrigued by the drink and wine of the day and looking forward to hearing about them.

Snow is on the way as KirkNc said but it doesn’t bother some people :

AD9061C5-BCB3-4B30-A712-1BE17238F196.jpeg.91c14201b334fd9ad4428d1574d582cc.jpeg

Reminds me of a guy on our Antarctica cruise who wore shorts, cotton short sleeve shirt and sandals on deck when we were at Admiralty Bay, while it was snowing. Everyone else was "rugged up" as the Aussies say. 

Shaking his head, an Aussie from our roll call incredulously said to those of us standing around "That bloke in the shorts is AUSSIE!"

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

JazzyV - You are getting close.  Keep trying.  Last week I had an appointment scheduled and when I confirmed it, got a message saying, Sorry, we made a mistake; no appointments available.  Anyway, I wanted to report that a day after the Moderna shot the symptoms are similar to a flu shot.  Slight shoulder pain, noticeable if I lift my right arm above my head.  Nice weather here in Washington; cool, cloudy and dry.  Just talked to my sister in Eastern Arizona.  She has so much snow that she can't get out of her driveway.  And I am close to 2000 miles North of her.  I guess we can thank the Pacific Ocean for our mild weather.

Ray

• Like 9

January 26, 2013

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

As we made our way northbound, the temperatures got warmer and we continued to be blessed with beautiful, long sunsets. Over the 2 days it took to sail to Puerto Madryn we continued to have several lectures a day from the Wilson brothers. Most centered on Edward Wilson and Scott. If the name Wilson is being used a lot, it’s because our lecturers Chris and David are great nephews of Edward Wilson, who died as part of Robert Scott’s ill-fated trip to the South Pole in 1912. This expedition was more of a scientific one than a “race” to the pole. We had the opportunity to see reproductions of many of the photographs taken on that voyage, as well as many of the drawings of Edward.

Soon after dawn we docked in town, adjacent to an enormous Argentine flag which flew at about our sky deck height.

DSC_0929.thumb.JPG.96d42d4787fcc049864a97804a78af95.JPG

We had a private tour to Puerto Tombo to see more Magellanic Penguins.

DSC_0802.thumb.JPG.4c17d63c7dc5e91779b22249040bf355.JPG

The site was about 2 hours away from the port and is the largest penguin colony in Argentina. When we visited there were still a number of chicks that were molting baby feathers. It was a really hot day, and the ride was mainly through an arid desert on a nice highway. Along the way we saw wild rea, guanaco and even a few cuy.

DSC_0800.thumb.JPG.6176c30aa64f237995b2ca49961c25b6.JPGDSC_0804.thumb.JPG.ef298156176263f38b9dc6e2261c92b1.JPG

We were able to walk along the wooden decks to an overlook to watch the penguins enter and exit the water.

DSC_0843.thumb.JPG.01bba30a24ff0cb7e8c63785183b89c9.JPGDSC_0868.thumb.JPG.eec403b32b52891fa3c695b28d0b73c7.JPGDSC_0910.thumb.JPG.fd993a606d47054ded9775eb03f421c5.JPGDSC_0889.thumb.JPG.79d1cb877e0c37a0b22dc03d83b08c00.JPGDSC_0857.thumb.JPG.7fb95c06a343145c05eb60bb1424804d.JPGDSC_0847.thumb.JPG.6ba38c92b7a2b6e932a204664fcac6d0.JPG

These were the same species of penguins we had seen in Otoway, but for whatever reason, these would throw back their heads and bray like a donkey (which gives them the nick name of jack ass penguins).  

DSC_0859.JPG

DSC_0886.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

• Like 21

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I woke to the news that my fiend in hospice will only have a few more days to live. Her kids are scattered all over the US and haven’t had the vaccine so will not be able to attend the funeral which will be zoomed.

How sad Carol 😢. I am so sorry to hear this 😔 

Our condolences to you, and your friend’s family and all our prayers to your  friend, their family and you 🙏🏻 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

A wise spouse would make every day Spouse's Day.

Yesterday's neeps and tatties were a real taste treat, it had been a long time since we boiled up rutabagas and potatoes and mashed them together! The toast to Robert Burns with 12 year old Glenlivet was also quite enjoyable. And we finished the trifle (picture posted late in the Sunday Daily in case you missed it).

Returning to our Grand Canyon Train Trip, Here are some pictures of the canyon. It is an amazing sight and photos don't come close to doing it justice -

1200482720_DSC00766(2).thumb.JPG.69d480263845a41082d9c346fd59fd20.JPG

DSC00770.thumb.JPG.9e5648f69de0f8f50f55858380fe7e10.JPG

DSC00771.thumb.JPG.e158c00eb90663e4841e5256eda89363.JPG

I hope you had some sunshine on that visit. I only visited the Grand Canyon once and it was overcast. The lack of colors was disappointing. In almost 50 years I never been in that area again to try a 2nd visit.

I'm glad you had an enjoyable time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Love and miss those chaparrals!  Don't know in which part of Texas you used to live, but back in the early '70s we could still occasionally see them on the streets of Dallas (didn't mean actual downtown Dallas, but in some of the outlying residential areas). 

Actually, we still live in Texas, but have a house in Quartzsite where we spend the winters.  Our place in Texas is about 60 miles south of I-20 in  Ft. Worth.  Our little community is out in the country, and we have roadrunners there too.

They are interesting and curious birds.

Lenda

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

JazzyV - You are getting close.  Keep trying.  Last week I had an appointment scheduled and when I confirmed it, got a message saying, Sorry, we made a mistake; no appointments available.  Anyway, I wanted to report that a day after the Moderna shot the symptoms are similar to a flu shot.  Slight shoulder pain, noticeable if I lift my right arm above my head.  Nice weather here in Washington; cool, cloudy and dry.  Just talked to my sister in Eastern Arizona.  She has so much snow that she can't get out of her driveway.  And I am close to 2000 miles North of her.  I guess we can thank the Pacific Ocean for our mild weather.

Ray

Thanks for letting us know what to expect from the Moderna shot.  We will be getting ours tomorrow evening.  Since I ride shotgun, I figure I'll be getting mine in my right arm.  I'm right handed so yesterday and today I tried to get the major chores done as I suspected I might have a sore arm.

Lenda

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich and Roy. Hi to everyone. Down in Laughlin Nevada we have had three days of rain after a 300 day dry spell. There was even snow on the surrounding hills. 

AEB45C9C-E03D-4075-9BB1-35A390C8C2D2.jpeg

Visited Laughlin once over 30 years ago. It was July then and predictably hot and dry. It was so beautiful at night coming out of the desert and seeing the lights of the city along the river. Thanks for jogging the crusty ol' memory banks.

George

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for letting us know what to expect from the Moderna shot.  We will be getting ours tomorrow evening.  Since I ride shotgun, I figure I'll be getting mine in my right arm.  I'm right handed so yesterday and today I tried to get the major chores done as I suspected I might have a sore arm.

Lenda

They didn’t ask which arm. Did them all in the left here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Snow again here last night with snow showers continuing. Maybe got another 5 inches but the storms are moving out this evening and it is supposed to be dry and cold for the next week. It is going to take a quite a few days of sun to melt the piles left by the plow. Won't be cutting though my to my neighbors any time soon.

Little else to report from here. I am starting to pull things together for my taxes and am also working on some family history. Soon there will not be a surface in the house that is not covered in papers.

Susan

• Like 7

It was Spouse's Day every day for a very good 57 years until God decided to take him home. I still miss him every day.

Last week we got just over 1/2' of rain then yesterday we got another 3/4". I has been quite cold and windy for the greater Phoenix area.

Next week I will start to assemble my tax doc's to take to my CPA.

The University lung disease clinic called and cancelled my appointment which was scheduled for next week. To much new Covid here. Appointment rescheduled for end of March. At least I foundout that I do not have sleep apnea. My primary COPD is because of bronchiectasis. I don't know if that will be treated any differently than the asthma and chronic bronchitis or not.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thanks Rich and Roy. Hi to everyone. Down in Laughlin Nevada we have had three days of rain after a 300 day dry spell. There was even snow on the surrounding hills. 

AEB45C9C-E03D-4075-9BB1-35A390C8C2D2.jpeg

Had to respond to this on Spouse's Day.  DH and I were married almost 21 years ago (03/07/2000) down there on an island in the Colorado River.  Actual marriage certificate shows Bullhead City, AZ, since the island was on their side of the river.

We've had many laughs about being married in "Bullhead City" -- kinda appropriate sometimes 🤭

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

She’s leaving at 5pm.

I just logged onto the PE webcam in time to catch sight of a shirtless man on one of the lower aft balconies . . . 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 3
  • Haha 3