Is this the beginning of the great reset?

Laszlo

7 hours ago, seaman11 said:

if they dont like it, they wont be cruising period.  i can see it working with limited pax on board, we have been social distancing and wearing masks for a year, ppl need to suck it up so we can restart already . 

Yes, and I remember, last spring...when you said you were going on a cruise and gonna have a great time.  How did that work out for you?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't realize wearing a mask was akin to sacrificing your firstborn child...it's really not that big of a deal. I'll be on that ship with a mask and fully vaccinated whenever cruises start back. 

Y'all anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers can stay on land. I'll send y'all a key chain. 

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

I didn't realize wearing a mask was akin to sacrificing your firstborn child...it's really not that big of a deal. I'll be on that ship with a mask and fully vaccinated whenever cruises start back. 

Y'all anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers can stay on land. I'll send y'all a key chain. 

I don't think it's because people are being "anti maskers". If you're comfortable taking a cruise with the mask than go for it. If not, we wait it out. Not sure where you are getting "akin to sacrificing your firstborn child". I don't see anybody stating they are an anti-masker.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, sammee said:

I don't think it's because people are being "anti maskers". If you're comfortable taking a cruise with the mask than go for it. If not, we wait it out. Not sure where you are getting "akin to sacrificing your firstborn child". I don't see anybody stating they are an anti-masker.

People are saying they won't cruise if they have to wear a mask, social distance, and abide by other restrictions, so not sure how else to interpret that...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

People are saying they won't cruise if they have to wear a mask, social distance, and abide by other restrictions, so not sure how else to interpret that...

So that makes them an antimasker or vaxxer? How did you come up with that from this thread? I refuse to sail for the time being while the mask rule is in place. Does that make me an anti-masker? No, it's called I respect the rule and will not try and push not wearing it. There are many reasons people can't wear them for extended periods. The new vaccine right now has a waiting list, some people are afraid since it's new. That does not make them an antivaxxer either.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

Let's be honest, "akin to sacrificing your firstborn child" is pure hyperbole, which never really is a great way to participate in honest conversation.  Sure mask wearing, vaccination, and restrictions aren't popular with some people but the sentiment I've seen so far from them has been "Fine, I'll cruise later when these aren't issues".  Their stance isn't really one that needs any finger wagging coupled with exaggeration.

For me, I purposely canceled a Disney World trip because I didn't want to be in the hot Florida sun wearing a mask while also missing out on a lot of the regular Disney experiences.  I believe firmly in masking, social distancing, and vaccination but the restrictions were enough that I felt we wouldn't have a great experience.  So I rescheduled.

I also have a cruise in Dec booked and before booking I thought a lot about what the restrictions would likely be.  I plan on masking, vaccination, and social distancing being in full force so I ponied up the extra money for an aft Haven suite because I felt it was the best way to enjoy the cruise with those restrictions in place.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

It should not be all the difficult to interpret.

Wearing a mask and all the other restrictions on a trip that cost a lot of money and delivers a nauseating experience has nothing to do with being anti mask.

Like I said, if you are happy doing nothing and being by yourself on a cruise have at it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I just think people are a bit silly sometimes, that's all.

Sure none of us WANT to wear a mask and be social distanced but I'd rather that and be on a cruise than to have to wait 2 years to be back 

1 hour ago, natefish95 said:

I wear a mask and do my best to social distance in my daily life because I have to. I have to go to work, I have to grocery shop, I have to pick up essentials, etc. I don't HAVE to pay thousands of dollars for a downgraded vacation experience. I would much prefer to keep my money in my savings and take 2 vacations in 2022 than spend money to do things in a way I don't particular enjoy. Others are fine with it. Both opinions are perfectly fine and valid. I think the cruise lines are actually banking on that because if they are doing all this "social distancing" they will have to have reduced capacity. So anyone who voluntarily cancels becomes someone that they don't have to forcibly cancel.

For me it goes far beyond mask wearing though. I would wear a mask if that was the only thing. What I will not do is take a covid test for a trip. And I don't see any way cruises will restart without mandatory vaccinations or mandatory covid testing. Why? I can't drive to a port. I have to fly. If I test positive, whether correctly or falsely at the port, I'm going to be stuck. Can't fly home, can't board cruise. Will most likely be stuck locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks at my own expense. That isn't worth it for me to cruise when they are other vacation options available that I don't have to covid test for. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

And I have plenty of issues on going on a cruise with all of these changes.  I can stay home and social distance with a mask on etc for free!

I mean, a year ago, you could have stayed home and not worn a mask for free too.

Cruising is about so much more than what you're wearing.

13 hours ago, slavetoabunny said:

They actually expect us to pay for cruising like that??  I know a lot of people are OK with it, I'm just not one that could enjoy myself under those conditions.

For sure, it's not for everyone. We all cruise for different reasons. 

I've never been to a nightclub or a late night dance party, nor do I ever sunbathe, but I understand those to be huge draws to some.

Similarly, I know that some people would find wearing a mask or social distancing too much to enjoy. I am not one of them. I think by now, doing this has become normal and to not do it would feel far more odd and unusual to me!

I don't care if I have to wear a mask, stand 6ft apart or take NCL excursions, just get me on the ship! 😄

• Like 1

I'll comply with the restrictions and begin sailing as soon as I can.  I don't have to spend "thousands" of dollars to do that.  There are cruises out there that aren't all-inclusive, for shorter lengths, that will at least get me back at sea.

I'm not going to put it off.  I'll be 69 by the time my next scheduled cruise sails (after 10 cancellations (so far) and re-bookings).  I have sailings booked from December 2021 thru May 2023.  I don't know how long I have left to travel, so IF I'm healthy, I'm going to go when I can.  Got my first shot on Tuesday.

So, yeah, if you expect you'll live for another 40-50 years, putting off cruising for another year until it's comfortable is fine.  For you.  I've already put off a lot of things in life (like retirement!) and don't intend to do so for a day longer than necessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCTribeFan said:

I'll comply with the restrictions and begin sailing as soon as I can.  I don't have to spend "thousands" of dollars to do that.  There are cruises out there that aren't all-inclusive, for shorter lengths, that will at least get me back at sea.

I'm not going to put it off.  I'll be 69 by the time my next scheduled cruise sails (after 10 cancellations (so far) and re-bookings).  I have sailings booked from December 2021 thru May 2023.  I don't know how long I have left to travel, so IF I'm healthy, I'm going to go when I can.  Got my first shot on Tuesday.

So, yeah, if you expect you'll live for another 40-50 years, putting off cruising for another year until it's comfortable is fine.  For you.  I've already put off a lot of things in life (like retirement!) and don't intend to do so for a day longer than necessary.

My NCL cruise for 3 people cost me $1500 with the premium drinks package, specialty food and all of the other Free at Sea benefits.

Hardly much really 😄

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

I agree with you...My DH is 69 and we still want to see and do as much as we can while we are able to.

We have taken land vacations over the past year and masks are required everywhere we go so I don't think it will be a problem cruising with the same rules.  We are not social cruisers, meaning we don't hang in the bars or really socialize.  For us it is about the destinations, relaxing and enjoying our time away from home together.  Life is too short to not just go out and enjoy, even with the inconveniences.  We do not want to just sit at home and wait for normal to return.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TSUmom said:

I agree with you...My DH is 69 and we still want to see and do as much as we can while we are able to.

We have taken land vacations over the past year and masks are required everywhere we go so I don't think it will be a problem cruising with the same rules.  We are not social cruisers, meaning we don't hang in the bars or really socialize.  For us it is about the destinations, relaxing and enjoying our time away from home together.  Life is too short to not just go out and enjoy, even with the inconveniences.  We do not want to just sit at home and wait for normal to return.

SO MUCH THIS 😄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, natefish95 said:

I wear a mask 10 hours a day, its not about wearing a mask or not. Its about vaccines, I won't go on a cruise if the cruise lines don't have a mandatory vaccine rule. And if they have that in place, with all pax and crew vaccinated their should be not be an issue not wearing a mask

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I wear a mask 10 hours a day, its not about wearing a mask or not. Its about vaccines, I won't go on a cruise if the cruise lines don't have a mandatory vaccine rule. And if they have that in place, with all pax and crew vaccinated their should be not be an issue not wearing a mask

A Vaccine only protects the person who has had it, it does nothing for others.

I can have the vaccine but still carry the virus.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

You think it likely that those working in poor conditions on carribean islands are going to be vaccinated as fast as those of us in privileged places to let us cruise?

That is an issue. We seem to not get real conditions in the 2nd and 3rd world areas of the planet from our news people. How bad is it for them? How good is it for them? As it stand now, we are stopped or slowed down dramatically from being mobile to go to many places in the world. Interstate travel is still existing for now.

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

I'm 71; DH is 86.  Because we plan on living a long time, we both willing to sit home and wait until the world is normal.  Our lives are too precious to take unnecessary risks.

Hello, NateFish95. My sister and I have a December cruise on the Joy in the Haven. I booked that category because there are always people around. It makes sense because with what the Haven costs, most guests use it. Somehow masks and social distancing don't fit the narrative. We may take the cruise anyway. I live in a resort, South Beach, South of Fifth, SoFi for short, and am 20 minutes from Port of Miami. I hear farewell horn blasts all the time. Disney's are the best. To me, those blasts sound better when I am on the ship. We will decide what to do before final payment. Reviews by cruisers who sail before us will help.

Mary

Edited by warburg
typos and additions

42 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

A Vaccine only protects the person who has had it, it does nothing for others.

I can have the vaccine but still carry the virus.

And once again......every person on the ship needs to have the vaccine

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

So true, so in essence as ScratchtheRat says , pax (He) can possibly still get it. Even with the vaccine there is NO guarantee and the RISK is still there.

It will all just come down to what people are comfortable with. For those that would sail tomorrow fine, just don't admonish those that don't feel comfortable sailing with the expected conditions. Happens way too often , many CC members think their opinions are the right one.

• Like 1

Just now, beerman2 said:

So true, so in essence as ScratchtheRat says , pax (He) can possibly still get it. Even with the vaccine there is NO guarantee and the RISK is still there.

It will all just come down to what people are comfortable with. For those that would sail tomorrow fine, just don't admonish those that don't feel comfortable sailing with the expected conditions. Happens way too often , many CC members think their opinions are the right one.

Yeah, agreed absolutely.

We all get to choose how we spend our vacation money. If people aren't happy with whatever each line's rules are to sail, I respect that. If they're happy to sail, knowing there is risk, I respect that.

We all just want a good time 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Agree 100%. People will have to decide for themselves if they want to cruise but wont because they are afraid that even though vaccinated, coming into contact with anyone else who isnt is too dangeous. With that mindset, they will never fly, cruise, go to a wedding, go to a funeral, grocery shop, etc, etc. I have POA booked for late November after having to cancel twice. Im vaccinated and ready to go, but will have to wait for the cruiseline to decide if that sailing will happen. I have no problem wearing a mask and social distancing to protect others. I live in Texas and our Governor has been on top of this, since President Trump said to all the Governors to be ready by 11/3. Florida has handled it well too. Rollout for other states has been chaotic but they seem to all be moving in the right direction. 

23 hours ago, natefish95 said:

How does not wanting to spend a vacation in a mask equate to being an anti-masker or anti-vaxxer? Explain your logic.

• Like 2