New mandate of COVID testing prior to entry into U.S.

Janie1229

What does everyone think of the new requirement that we will need a negative COVID test to re-enter the U.S.? I have a few concerns: (1) how are the cruise ships going to administer tests prior to disembarkation? Will they start 3 days prior to docking? And how do they determine order of testing, will it be prioritized by suite, Diamond member, etc. etc .? Or will the passengers get off the ship and get tested at the disembarkation port? (2) if a passenger tests positive, would that mean the entire ship will be quarantined much like we heard about prior to the pandemic going into full swing? 

I'm booked on a cruise Dec 5 out of Barbados, a really great itinerary with a different port each day, and no sea days, which I love - BUT I'm also wondering at whether these various ports will allow passengers to disembark? 

2 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

What does everyone think of the new requirement that we will need a negative COVID test to re-enter the U.S.? I have a few concerns: (1) how are the cruise ships going to administer tests prior to disembarkation? Will they start 3 days prior to docking? And how do they determine order of testing, will it be prioritized by suite, Diamond member, etc. etc .? Or will the passengers get off the ship and get tested at the disembarkation port? (2) if a passenger tests positive, would that mean the entire ship will be quarantined much like we heard about prior to the pandemic going into full swing? 

I'm booked on a cruise Dec 5 out of Barbados, a really great itinerary with a different port each day, and no sea days, which I love - BUT I'm also wondering at whether these various ports will allow passengers to disembark? 

Personally, I don’t believe there will be any cruising in or out of the United States and/or Canada as long as the negative COVID-19 test requirement remains in place.  Simply, it’s a big red flag that cruising remains too risky.

The rule is only for air passengers (which would apply if you're cruising out of Barbados of course).

CDC has already mandated (for not at least) that passengers get tested prior to disembarking. Anything beyond that is an unknown.

If someone tests positive, they get quarantined. It does not affect the rest of the ship outside of any close contacts unless the number of positives reaches some unknown threshold.

A totally regarding cruises it's not  new. Cdc 40 page document says covid test 3 or 5 days prior to boarding, then at boarding and at debating. You can read the quantum thread and see pictures of the booths for testing. 

It will be the day you disembark. The 3rd covid test. Perhaps if this isnt good for flying you might have to wait a few days to fly home if out of the country. The cdc docs are thru nov 1, 2021.

I'm not sure waiting until the day of disembarkation will work for all the passengers to get tested, off the ship and to the airport in time. I work and could not take extra days off just to be tested prior to flying back home. My other big concern is the potential for someone to test positive on the ship and have the entire ship quarantined. Well I suppose I will not be cruising for. while 😞 but I'll keep my booking for Dec 5th and just monitor and pray things get better 

Too soon to know any of this and too many moving pieces and rules constantly changing for the US and many other countries. 

Yes, vaccination will definitely play a big part of this and sounds like most of the US won't be vaccinated until this summer at earliest.   Then you have to figure all the crew from various countries have to get vaccinated too!

Note, MSC Grandiosa just re-started their 7 night sailings on 1.25 out of Italy.     They seem to have a very good plan in place.   I wish them the best!!!

The issue of vaccines needs to be sorted out as well, will the US, Canada and Europe all accept the vaccines approved in those countries and not approved in theirs? This will be an issue with us travelling from the UK to cruise state side or on a TA finishing in the US and not being allowed in! So many factors need addressing before we contemplate going on another cruise. 

On 1/28/2021 at 1:21 PM, Janie1229 said:

No one can predict the future of what’s going to happen by December. Ask those questions as the date nears.

On 1/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, Janie1229 said:

I'm not sure waiting until the day of disembarkation will work for all the passengers to get tested, off the ship and to the airport in time. I work and could not take extra days off just to be tested prior to flying back home. My other big concern is the potential for someone to test positive on the ship and have the entire ship quarantined. Well I suppose I will not be cruising for. while 😞 but I'll keep my booking for Dec 5th and just monitor and pray things get better 

Most states require a 10 day quarantine before return to work after any travel.