PVP Coverage for Cruises from Same Port One Week Apart.

Pootimer

We’re thinking of sailing on a second cruise from Southampton, but one week later. We’ll combine EZ air, and travel around UK during the week between cruises. Will have PVP for both cruises.  Has anyone done this with Princess Cruises, and know if their insurance will cover the week in between cruises? Would appreciate your input.

I believe you would need to buy separate insurance for the week you  are traveling around the UK.     PVP only covers time you are with Princess Cruises.   Best to just contact Princess and ask. 

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

Princess insurance should not cover that week between. How about if I am going to travel for a month between ?

wouldn't the OP have to purchase separate PVP coverage - one for each cruise ? - 

when does the "2nd" cruise coverage start ???

Ok, we’ll check out 3rd party insurance for the week between cruises. We already have PVP on the first cruise, but wondered how we would handle the week in between if we reserved the second cruise. Thanks everyone.

Interesting. I have such a combination of cruises this could be a factor. A couple where I will get off one ship and on to another the same day (Not sure what coverage will be if first ship gets delayed. Then I have two where I have a day in between and lastly a situation like the OP.  Another thought that I hope will get covered is the possible Covid testing before each cruise (or for airline) when there is no time between the two.  Best part is I will be vaccinated before any of them start 🙂

17 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

Interesting. I have such a combination of cruises this could be a factor. A couple where I will get off one ship and on to another the same day (Not sure what coverage will be if first ship gets delayed. Then I have two where I have a day in between and lastly a situation like the OP.  Another thought that I hope will get covered is the possible Covid testing before each cruise (or for airline) when there is no time between the two.  Best part is I will be vaccinated before any of them start 🙂

Unless a Covid test is part of a process to diagnose a condition, I doubt seriously that any travel insurance will cover it.  You need to read the various policies. 

Read the coverage document carefully. There IS language about a covered trip and it's defined as from when you leave your home until you return with some limitations. Seems to me there is some kind of coverage but not necessarily everything.

19 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Read the coverage document carefully. There IS language about a covered trip and it's defined as from when you leave your home until you return with some limitations. Seems to me there is some kind of coverage but not necessarily everything.

Agree that there is insurance that would cover the OP's scenario ... but cruiseline insurance will cover only arrangements bought thru them.

I would think it could get pricey to insure 3 weeks with three policies, two from Princess for the first and last weeks and a third party one for the middle week.

It has been over a year since I last checked PVP provisions.  However, in the past, PVP provided some coverage for a total of 4 days before and/or after the cruise itself, e.g. from 3 d before embarking to 1 d after disembarking, or from 1 d before embarking to 3 d after disembarking.  Depending how long before the first cruise you left home, and how long after the 2nd cruise you were travelling before returning home, there might be coverage for some (but very likely not all) days between cruises. 

However, it might be difficult to get an unequivocal advance determination about the coverage.  In the past, the PVP policy was vague about the 4-extra-days provisions, and in my  experience, repeated calls to the insurance provider often resulted in variable answers about those provisions.  Also, consider the limited coverage under PVP compared to what is often available through 3rd party policies. 

Edited by J-D

If you do a post travel hotel with Princess, you should be covered from the time you leave US until your return.  I have a pre-cruise hotel, EZ Air, and cruise.  All of it is covered by Princess Vacation Protection.

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

If you do a post travel hotel with Princess, you should be covered from the time you leave US until your return.  I have a pre-cruise hotel, EZ Air, and cruise.  All of it is covered by Princess Vacation Protection.

Interesting but I think for the cost of the Princess post cruise hotel you could get insurance and hotel on your own cheaper????????? 😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

If time between cruises is in your location of regular health care coverage, in your case the U.S., then your regular health insurance should apply. If you are out of your coverage area, for example the UK, then you probably require some additional coverage. Certain Medicare Medigap plans cover international medical at 80%. Ours does, but it does not cover travel delays and all the other things that can go wrong.  

17 hours ago, waltd said:

I believe you would need to buy separate insurance for the week you  are traveling around the UK.     PVP only covers time you are with Princess Cruises.   Best to just contact Princess and ask. 

You are correct.  There is a way to get extended coverage through the carrier, Aon I believe, that might bridge the gap between your two PVP's.

When we checked for doing that, I think that we were told that Aon will do that for a day or two so you might have to seek out another carrier for that week bridge.

Edited by Grego