Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

2 hours ago, Bridget2010 said:

I think that "delay until six months before cruising" has to be requested when the next cruise is booked.  I first learned about it when I booked directly with Viking and then transferred booking to my TA. I have actually gotten the "delay until six months before cruising" twice now. I cruise Viking a lot and really like them.

Thanks for the info.

Yes it must be requested when you book. They will not offer it , and when we recently rebooked  a cancelled cruise I requested it and the agent was unaware of the option. She had to check with her supervisor.  So you need to double check your booking to confirm the final payment  date , because once you make your deposit, its to late. 

• Like 1

I believe all past guests can get “extended” final payment deadline, which I put in quotes b/c I think it’s so outrageous. So once I have booked one (or perhaps booked plus travelled?), then I could request and receive it. 

I think there’s only about a 50/50 chance I’ll ever go on Viking again after we do the Great Lakes, but, oh well, c’est la vie. We still may put off booking, for this reason alone; but we don’t want the price to go up more than the gargantuan price it already is! Such a first world dilemma, for sure.

I like what happened to you, Denny, no further deposit required. But is there a small discount for a B2B?

31 minutes ago, May B said:

.............I like what happened to you, Denny, no further deposit required. But is there a small discount for a B2B?

I’ve been using a great TA who got me pretty good pricing on both legs and there are discounts involved but I’m not sure of what they all are. 

Den

• Like 1

We had a guarantee Nordic Penthouse cabin on our Inaugural Octantis cruise to Antarctica for January 12, 2022 because we got the "last" one.  I just received a new "Guest Statement" with an assigned cabin. It happens to be the exact stateroom I would have picked. Not too shabby!

• Like 3

We are signed up to Feb 22 Antarctic.  We are doing the Antarctic Explorer.  We decided to do a pre trip.  I called to make reservations for Easter Island but it was full already.  But we did get reservations for Atacama Desert.  I think my daughter is more excited about it than Easter Island.  She is a teacher and was  concerned  about taking all the time off.  She talked to her principle about the time off and he told her that if she didn't  go he would.

Edited by Porcupine 52
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, deec said:

emileg,

My husband really wants to do an Antarctica cruise.  How did you decide which of the itineraries to choose?

Once we decided to take Viking Expeditions to Antarctica, we chose the January 12, 2022 itinerary for two reasons: First, our 51st anniversary is January 12.  We were supposed to do the really big one last month, but we all know what happened. So, we will be celebrating # 50 a year late.

The second reason is that we have never been on the first passenger sailing of a cruise. I'm not sure whether to call it the maiden voyage or the inaugural cruise. We know and expect that the crew will be learning the ropes, but we also know there should be something extra special and exciting about being on the first voyage.

Please join us. 😀  I have also set up a roll call for that expedition.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Well, if the cruise goes, we go. We were fortunate to have had our vaccinations and will try to get in line when the variant booster is released probably some time in September (from what I hear from an inside source). Thanks for sharing the article.

20 hours ago, emileg said:

Well, if the cruise goes, we go. We were fortunate to have had our vaccinations and will try to get in line when the variant booster is released probably some time in September (from what I hear from an inside source). Thanks for sharing the article.

I have my Pfizer vaccine test appointment tomorrow and I will ask them about that.  If they do another study I want to be 1st in line.

On 2/23/2021 at 6:55 AM, deec said:

I hope they have manufacturing/distribution figured out by the time we need the variant booster!

I just got back from my Pfizer blood test.  I asked a lot of questions today so here goes.  I was #9 in our test group of several 100 ( maybe 1000) since August 2020.  I was #2 of getting the real vaccine.( I get up early and called in when I read the story)  Getting my blood now is very important because I have had the shot over 6 months now.  If the test group antibodies drop ( she said to 50%) they will start a study for the booster.  She told me if there is any way possible for me to be in the booster test group.  They will let me know about the antibodies in a couple of weeks.  If they start a test group for the booster it would start in March/April.   Again it will have to go through FDA approval.  Also they are starting a test group on 6 to 12 year olds in March..... maybe already going on in parts of the country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Thank you Porcupine 52. I find your posts extremely interesting and helpful. Got our 2nd Pfizer 3 weeks ago and very interested in how long it’s good for. 

den

They said they would let me know ASAP. Will post some thing when I find out.   My hope is we won't need a booster...but I will sign up if they do a booster study.

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I am willing to bet we will all be required to take an annual booster.  And I also am willing to bet it will not be no charge to the patient.   Waaaaayyy too much money involved in this issue to fix it with one treatment. 

I think you are right...

I agree we’ll need annual shots, but not because ‘waaaaayy to much money involved in this issue to fix it with one treatment’, but because just as many other viruses, it doesn’t go away and it mutates as it already has. 

As to cost, those of us with insurance and/or Medicare get our shots  no-cost (obviously no ‘free’) and this will fall into that also, ‘No matter how much money is involved’. But we’ll all see. 

Den

On 2/24/2021 at 9:32 AM, Denny01 said:

Thank you Porcupine 52. I find your posts extremely interesting and helpful. Got our 2nd Pfizer 3 weeks ago and very interested in how long it’s good for. 

den

Interesting article that I read today after my Vaccine blood test yesterday.  I hope to find out more in the next week or so.  https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/third-pfizer-dose-covid-19-vaccine-maker-studying-booster-shots-n1258775

My hope is they don't have to do a 3rd shot but if they have to I  would love to be in the study again.  They told me that since I have been over 6 months they very much want me in.( Like my Dad always used to say... all it takes is $$$) 😀  You have to kind of feel bad for the folks that haven't even gotten the 1st vaccine yet....  

Just to bring us back to Expeditions: I hope we get to see these babies. Looking into the distance I sometimes can't tell adult penguins apart from humans. For example, the figure on the far left and the far right.

Was penguin evolution driven by a cooling Antarctic?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning to book an Antarctica expedition cruise for January, 2023.  I have reached out to Viking several times in order to discuss options, specific questions and ultimately to book.  All I get are canned email responses with links to portions of their website which I have already scoured. 

Perhaps they assigned me to a lazy agent?  

Can anyone recommend a specific agent who will actually speak with me and if so an extension#?  I really don't want to commit almost $50k without actually speaking with someone.  

Disney expeditions won't be open for booking until 12 months prior and I am not thrilled about traveling with a bunch of kiddos.  Hurtigruten reviews are atrocious and Linblad just is not exciting.

13 minutes ago, beachluver9 said:

Can anyone recommend a specific agent who will actually speak with me and if so an extension#?  I really don't want to commit almost $50k without actually speaking with someone.  

We're not permitted to recommend TAs on the boards - I guess that also applies to specific Viking agents.

I have been using the same Viking agent for several years with complete satisfaction. Email me:  antrekk8 (at) gmail.com - I will email you back with his name and extension. Write "Viking Agent" in the subject line.

21 minutes ago, beachluver9 said:

We are planning to book an Antarctica expedition cruise for January, 2023.  I have reached out to Viking several times in order to discuss options, specific questions and ultimately to book.  All I get are canned email responses with links to portions of their website which I have already scoured. 

Perhaps they assigned me to a lazy agent?  

Disney expeditions won't be open for booking until 12 months prior and I am not thrilled about traveling with a bunch of kiddos.  Hurtigruten reviews are atrocious and Linblad just is not exciting.

Cruise Critic does not allow recommending or even specific discussing agents on the board.  But it sounds like you're dealing with a company representative rather than an independent travel agent.  You might want to go that direction.

Edited by 1985rz1