Canada bans cruising until March 2022

HaveWeMetYet

This ends the Alaska and New England season for 2021.

Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, announced two new Interim Orders, which prohibit pleasure craft in Canadian Arctic waters and cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. This means:

• Adventure-seeking pleasure craft are still prohibited from entering Arctic waters. 
  • Passenger vessels carrying more than 12 people are still prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters, including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, and the Labrador Coast. 
  • Cruise vessels carrying 100 or more people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.

I know it's a regulation for ships to have to stop in a "foreign" country, but based on the circumstances could the US not make a temporary exemption in this case in order to help with the Alaskan economy?   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shih-tzu said:

I know it's a regulation for ships to have to stop in a "foreign" country, but based on the circumstances could the US not make a temporary exemption in this case in order to help with the Alaskan economy?   

Not a chance.

It is 0.00.

Currently, if we leave our own province we have to self isolate for 14 days on our return (and possibly isolate 14 days when entering the province we visit)

New rule starting very shortly - if we leave the country and are coming back home, we have to go to a COVID hotel for 3 days at our own expense of approx $2000/person.  If test that was done on re-entry comes back negative (approx 3 days) we can go home but have to still isolate until a total of 14 days is over.  If we test positive, we have to go to the government COVID facility.  I believe this also applies to anyone entering country.  There are now only 4 airports that will accept non-domestic flights)

I believe the US is putting a 10 day quarantine on travellers coming from outside US as well....so in order to cruise we would have to isolate 10 days pre-cruise, 10 days post cruise, then 14 days once home.....  so unless we have oodles of money and oodles of time, then I'd say most of us won't be cruising.  By instituting the $2000/person re-entry fees here, the government is trying to stop us from travelling right now.  We have been advised not to make any travel plans, even in our own province   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Interesting. Will they ban Canadians from traveling to other countries to cruise and vacation as well? What about flights? If not, it seems pretty self serving and hypocritical. Also bias against the cruise industry.

They can't stop people from leaving, but Canada does have very strict quarantine measures in place for anyone entering Canada.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Shih-tzu said:

"WAIVERS OF THE NAVIGATION LAWS The navigation laws, including the PVSA, can only be waived by the Secretary of Homeland Security if certain requirements are met: • The transportation requested must be “necessary in the interest of national defense,” and • If the waiver is requested under Section 501(b), the Maritime Administration at the Department of Transportation has confirmed that there are no coastwise-qualified vessels available to conduct the transportation. 43 A request to waive the PVSA should be submitted prior to the proposed transportation, i.e., embarkation of passengers. CBP strongly encourages potential requesters to contact the Maritime Administration prior to submitting a request to determine if there are any coastwise-qualified vessels available to conduct the transportation sought."

Nope, not a chance.

3 minutes ago, Shih-tzu said:

Currently, if we leave our own province we have to self isolate for 14 days on our return (and possibly isolate 14 days when entering the province we visit)

New rule starting very shortly - if we leave the country and are coming back home, we have to go to a COVID hotel for 3 days at our own expense of approx $2000/person.  If test that was done on re-entry comes back negative (approx 3 days) we can go home but have to still isolate until a total of 14 days is over.  If we test positive, we have to go to the government COVID facility.  I believe this also applies to anyone entering country.  There are now only 4 airports that will accept non-domestic flights)

I believe the US is putting a 10 day quarantine on travellers coming from outside US as well....so in order to cruise we would have to isolate 10 days pre-cruise, 10 days post cruise, then 14 days once home.....  so unless we have oodles of money and oodles of time, then I'd say most of us won't be cruising.  By instituting the $2000/person re-entry fees here, the government is trying to stop us from travelling right now.  We have been advised not to make any travel plans, even in our own province   

The US has no quarantine rules on entry from most countries, but we do now require a negative COVID test for anyone entering.

5 minutes ago, Shih-tzu said:

According to this news article it's coming...   https://globalnews.ca/news/7591304/us-quarantine-rules-international-travel/

The order only implements implements the CDC recommended guidelines, which to this point call for quarantine only for travelers entering who have been in China within the past 14 days.

You're right that it could come, but so far there's no quarantine requirement upon entering the US except for that one case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it would take legislation to make an exemption in this case and nobody's going to sponsor such a bill in the current climate, especially considering that the likelihood of any major cruising happening in the US before Q4 or even into Q1 2022 is so low.

52 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

Interesting florida is vaccinating Canadians  , they just made it a bit harder as of next week  now they need to show a rental agreement or some utility bill 

Don't blame them for making it harder.  Only logic I could see if they were in a gated community  and they were vaccinating everyone to protect all residents.... those were meant for FL residents.  We are supposed to be staying home as per our government regulations.

Edited by Shih-tzu
Mis-spelling

1 hour ago, gtalum said:

They can't stop people from leaving, but Canada does have very strict quarantine measures in place for anyone entering Canada.

Hi

Sorry, not quite right. Canadians cannot travel to the U.S. by car from Canada unless it is considered "essential", and I can assure you that there are only a few exceptions. The same would be true for U.S. residents trying to drive across the border. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I honestly don't think these two rulings are going to have any impact. I do not see cruises beginning out of any US port until after the Alaskan and Canadian seasons are over anyway.

I don’t see cruises from US ports retuning until 2022 at the earliest. This announcement likely foreshadows what the CDC will do in the US eventually. 

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t see cruises from US ports retuning until 2022 at the earliest. This announcement likely foreshadows what the CDC will do in the US eventually. 

Exactly.

Who knows, maybe Canada will allow cruise ships in before the CDC lets them out of the US.