Dear Princess, just take us to Mexico...

Castaway Cowgirl

As a frequent cruiser, or at least used to be prior to 2020, I can tell you that Mexico is hardly a substitute for Alaska ... not to mention that California seems to be very resistant to reopening things back up so, maybe hope for a stop in Oregon??  

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 2:19 AM, caribill said:

The CDC estimates that around 22,000 Americans die of the flu in one flu season.

The 463,000 deaths in less than a year that have Covid-19 as a contributing case is 21 times the number of flu deaths.

The 463,000 Americans that have died from having had Covid-19 is close to having everyone in a city the size of Atlanta, GA die in one year.

And the survivors of Covid-19 often have many months needed for full recovery after the disease has left their bodies.

No need to be paralyzed with fear; but there is a need to continue to take all precautions possible to avoid being infected or, if unlucky enough to be infected, to avoid infecting others.

And then there is "long COVID" where the body remains wrecked with the virus, where it keep returning, where the individual is nearly always incapacitated.  Additionally, we know that COVID-19 related deaths are under counted in some states for political purposes.  Let's don't be whimsical about this dangerous virus and it's mutations.  We have had Pfizer One and Two and will continue to use PPE and social distancing every time we leave the house (medical appts and groceries).  And the spread of the "UK version" is estimated to crest in March on the US.  Stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

And then there is "long COVID" where the body remains wrecked with the virus, where it keep returning, where the individual is nearly always incapacitated.  Additionally, we know that COVID-19 related deaths are under counted in some states for political purposes.  Let's don't be whimsical about this dangerous virus and it's mutations.  We have had Pfizer One and Two and will continue to use PPE and social distancing every time we leave the house (medical appts and groceries).  And the spread of the "UK version" is estimated to crest in March on the US.  Stay safe.

Well said and there are just so many reasons to take Covid-19 serious and it is definitely no joke and not a form of the flu either.  

Those videos of Covid-19 deniers who get Covid and then beg other to take it seriously are enough to make us not tempt the gods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have seen discussions to have cruises start & end in Mexico. This would avoid the PVSA act. Cancun has been suggested as one port. What do other people think?  You also wouldn’t have to worry about the “no cruises over 7 days” rule. This would be a slap in the face for the CDC. 

Tom😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Interesting-I posted a similar blog on Facebook-Princess cruises group and got much the same reaction. We are presently booked on the Majestic to Alaska out of Seattle in June. I was attempting to find a way to put the Majestic to use if we cannot use Canada and I suggested the Ensenada option. Basically a cruise to nowhere but would allow Princess to use Seattle and one of it's ships rather than anchor or circle endlessly . As has been mentioned, Princess is certainly in deep discussions about possible alternatives I just hope they find something 🙂

• Like 1

Here’s what I’m hearing as a suggestion. Bypass the US & start & end cruises in Mexico. Cancun has been suggested. This means the CDC is not involved & we don’t have to deal with the PVSA act plus there is no restrictions to cruises longer than 7 days. 

If your were to cruise from Seattle for example to Ensenada your cruise would have to be 7 days or less. 

What do other people think?

Tom😀

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, Cruise Raider said:

As a frequent cruiser, or at least used to be prior to 2020, I can tell you that Mexico is hardly a substitute for Alaska ... not to mention that California seems to be very resistant to reopening things back up so, maybe hope for a stop in Oregon??  

I’m also in San Francisco & the only options now are cruises to Mexico or Hawaii with a stop in Ensenada. I’ve been told by a captain that if the had to bypass Mexico for some reason they would be fined. 

Tom😀

13 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’m also in San Francisco & the only options now are cruises to Mexico or Hawaii with a stop in Ensenada. I’ve been told by a captain that if the had to bypass Mexico for some reason they would be fined. 

Tom😀

...oh and a California coastal with a short stop in Ensenada, too.  But the fact still remains that the officials in California don't seem to have any motivation to reopen the ports for cruises.  

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

...oh and a California coastal with a short stop in Ensenada, too.  But the fact still remains that the officials in California don't seem to have any motivation to reopen the ports for cruises.  

The virus is out of control in Mexico so no port stops there for a while.

11 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The virus is out of control in Mexico so no port stops there for a while.

Yes, I just heard that.  I think we are going to be on dry land for quite some time.  They are stating the vaccines may not be effective against the new variants.  I think we are stuck on dry land for some time to come.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, trbarton said:

Here’s what I’m hearing as a suggestion. Bypass the US & start & end cruises in Mexico. Cancun has been suggested. This means the CDC is not involved & we don’t have to deal with the PVSA act plus there is no restrictions to cruises longer than 7 days. 

If your were to cruise from Seattle for example to Ensenada your cruise would have to be 7 days or less. 

What do other people think?

Tom😀

This sounds great.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 5:12 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

And then there is "long COVID" where the body remains wrecked with the virus, where it keep returning, where the individual is nearly always incapacitated

I read a story in the paper yesterday about a woman who caught COVID in November. She still doesn't have any sense of taste or smell. Nobody can seem to figure out what to do about it. That would really be a huge bummer to me.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, trbarton said:

I have seen discussions to have cruises start & end in Mexico. This would avoid the PVSA act. Cancun has been suggested as one port. What do other people think?  You also wouldn’t have to worry about the “no cruises over 7 days” rule. This would be a slap in the face for the CDC. 

Tom😀

I expect that the CDC could care less as long as the ship does not enter US waters.

You notice that you haven't seen the cruise lines try that gambit. Or using one of the Caribbean Islands like Barbados (Royal Caribbean/Celebrity have mentioned the possibility of using Barbados but you notice they have not started). Maybe it is more than just the CDC stopping them.  Little things like the incidence of the virus, other country restrictions, etc.

It might also cost them some support in their current port cities.

Edited by nocl

On 2/6/2021 at 5:14 AM, Castaway Cowgirl said:

I’ve already had Covid along with the majority of people I know.  Not worried about traveling to Mexico.  I’ve been traveling all over the US (South) since this started.  

I have know a few friends who have traveled to Mexico and stayed in time shares and condos... no problem for them at all. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nocl said:

I expect that the CDC could care less as long as the ship does not enter US waters.

You notice that you haven't seen the cruise lines try that gambit. Or using one of the Caribbean Islands like Barbados (Royal Caribbean/Celebrity have mentioned the possibility of using Barbados but you notice they have not started).

From a recent stock analysts conference call with RCL:

"A new product is cruising from a home port in Barbados, starting in November of 2021, with a mix of seven and 14 night cruises into the Southern Caribbean and focused into the North American, American, Canadian and the UK market. It has exceeded our expectations quite significantly. We sold 25% of our load factor within a couple of weeks."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

"A new product is cruising from a home port in Barbados, starting in November of 2021, with a mix of seven and 14 night cruises into the Southern Caribbean and focused into the North American, American, Canadian and the UK market. It has exceeded our expectations quite significantly. We sold 25% of our load factor within a couple of weeks."

You do notice that they are not starting them until November. Even though they are outside the control of the CDC and Barbados has been relatively open.

More than just the CDC preventing cruising.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nocl said:

You do notice that they are not starting them until November. Even though they are outside the control of the CDC and Barbados has been relatively open.

More than just the CDC preventing cruising.

Possibly a major other obstacle is having any ports on the itineraries welcoming cruise ships yet.

18 hours ago, caribill said:

Unfortunately I have princess and carnival cruise credits I have to use!  But this is good to see.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:19 AM, Cruise Raider said:

It all depends on what you want out of a cruise, I for one want warmer weather so Mexico is more of a drawn than Alaska for me.  I have gone to Alaska once, Mexico 10 plus times.  Everyone is different.     Did only one Baltic cruise and 15 Mediterranean for the same reason. 

12 hours ago, pris993 said:

It all depends on what you want out of a cruise, I for one want warmer weather so Mexico is more of a drawn than Alaska for me.  I have gone to Alaska once, Mexico 10 plus times.  Everyone is different.     Did only one Baltic cruise and 15 Mediterranean for the same reason. 

You just made my point for me ... they are really not interchangeable when it comes to why someone usually books an Alaskan cruise.   

My response was to the OP's comment:  "We have an Alaskan cruise scheduled out of Seattle in August.  Can princess just reroute it to Mexico?"

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

You just made my point for me ... they are really not interchangeable when it comes to why someone usually books an Alaskan cruise.   

My response was to the OP's comment:  "We have an Alaskan cruise scheduled out of Seattle in August.  Can princess just reroute it to Mexico?"

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Okay, I see your point, scanning comments missed it, thanks for clarifying.  Agree re routing does not make sense.   

• Like 1