Tell me about the Oosterdam

Babr

We are interested in the Australia/ New Zealand itineraries on the Oosterdam, but it has been a while since we’ve sailed Holland America. I know the Oosterdam is an older ship that has been refurbished.  Was it in good repair and well-maintained when you sailed? What about service? Food quality and preparation? Were the shore excursions organized and well run? The entertainment is less important to us, but I’d appreciate any comments you have.   Thanks.

We sailed on the Noordam before it was refurbished, and on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2017. Our last two cruises were on the Oosterdam, both in balcony cabins. We find it the most comfortable of the ships we've been on. The decor suits our our taste, and the crew does a fine job of seeing that it's taken care of. We had no issues with food quality, although we preferred the desserts on RCI better, with the exception of the bread pudding with vanilla sauce. It should be included in the essential food groups. We've had good service on all of our HAL cruises. The shore excursions on our most recent cruise were better organized than any of the others we've experienced, meeting each morning in the theater and taken out in groups. We enjoyed the music onboard, the magicians and comedians that are the main shows in the theater have been ok. 

Some pics from last February's cruise.

1.thumb.JPG.2a22bc3c29dd16d47352bf58925a3a37.JPG2.thumb.JPG.aa0406b1c722462059e9f2d46ea68d68.JPG3.thumb.JPG.9eccbebd5358a2594a9540f01250dc02.JPG4.thumb.jpg.823595d75fd54993c198a7ced1b06944.jpg5.thumb.jpg.4dd86be0fd6cc1d82c3817d37f22fb20.jpg6.thumb.jpg.19040a614ed7e8fd8065bb26f39c94bf.jpg7.thumb.jpg.d6aa8ee9caa8042a2c2539e20b90a3cc.jpg

Hope this helps.

Lori & George

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What call of room were yo looking at?  We were on board her from Feb 29 - March 8, 2020 to Mexico (the 2ns to last sailing before COVID!) and stayed in a Signature Suite.  There was SO MUCH ROOM!  Happy to share the video of our room, but be prepared, I'm not a great videographer....we were near the middle elevators, which let you use both the outside and inside elevators. 

L.

• Like 2

I was on the Oosterdam on the first cruise out of drydock in April 2018, a trans-atlantic out of FLL.  It was a nice smaller ship.  For the most part, everything we experienced was fine with the exception of some of the wait staff in the Lido dining who were more interested in chatting than attending to guests.  All this said, I’m sure in the past three years things may or may not have changed and the ship’s interior at this point may be starting to show some wear.  But, I’d definitely sail on her again.

One thing I like about the Oosterdam (and her three sister ships) is that there are an abundance of Signature and Neptune Suites.  I generally book a Signature Suite (usually at a very good price) and then watch for an upsell offer during the last 2-4 weeks, and normally get it to a Neptune.

One negative - no Tamarind specialty dining venue.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

One thing I like about the Oosterdam (and her three sister ships) is that there are an abundance of Signature and Neptune Suites.  I generally book a Signature Suite (usually at a very good price) and then watch for an upsell offer during the last 2-4 weeks, and normally get it to a Neptune.

One negative - no Tamarind specialty dining venue.

Sounds like a good strategy and one that has worked for you.

I’m wondering if that will hold true going forward. There could be lots of pent-up demand that would fill up ships.

Or there could be lots of people who are reluctant to sail with the requirements/restrictions that might be in place, leaving plenty of cabins for upgrades.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Babr said:

Sounds like a good strategy and one that has worked for you.

I’m wondering if that will hold true going forward. There could be lots of pent-up demand that would fill up ships.

Or there could be lots of people who are reluctant to sail with the requirements/restrictions that might be in place, leaving plenty of cabins for upgrades.

I tend to cruise in the non-peak seasons, as I have the time to go whenever.  This class of ship just plain has too many suites versus the remaining cabins IMO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We've sailed Oosterdam twice, but it's been a few years ago.  Loved her!  Could someone tell me if they have removed the indoor theater where movies were shown?  After doing a little research, I'm under the impression that the movie room has been removed.  Looking to go back to AK in 2022, and Oosterdam is a strong possibility on our short list (HAL, PCL & RCCL - price is big factor).  Movie room wouldn't be a deciding factor by any means, but I'm curious.  We like the size of the Oosterdam - mid-sized, which makes for a more pleasant experience.  We also enjoyed the Crow's Nest area on sea days while in AK.  Overall, a lovely ship and crew!

We’ve been on the Oosterdam three times, before and after dry dock, all were great. We did notice the wait staff talking among themselves a lot as the other poster mentioned on our first Oosterdam cruise in 2012, but not on our later cruises. Our most recent cruise on the Oosterdam was Alaska June 2019 and it was one of the best; service, maintenance, food, wait staff, cabin stewards.  We loved our server and wine steward, excellent. I’m not a big dessert fan but I had the best chocolate cake one night and ordered a second one. Now I can’t wait to cruise again just to see if they still have this cake. 

We also liked the Oosterdam and have sailed on her several times.  As most things, I have several pros and cons (vs the other HAL ships).

Pros - Alot more Signature and Neptune suites, which often mean some good fares and better opportunities for upsells/upgrades to them.

- The deck 5 Neptunes have HUGE balconies.  We once hosted a party for 40 people on it.

-  The Screening Room - great place to watch movies, with lounge type seating (but limited #).

Cons - No Tamarind dining venue.

- No separate Club Orange dining.

22 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We also liked the Oosterdam and have sailed on her several times.  As most things, I have several pros and cons (vs the other HAL ships).

Pros - Alot more Signature and Neptune suites, which often mean some good fares and better opportunities for upsells/upgrades to them.

- The deck 5 Neptunes have HUGE balconies.  We once hosted a party for 40 people on it.

-  The Screening Room - great place to watch movies, with lounge type seating (but limited #).

Cons - No Tamarind dining venue.

- No separate Club Orange dining.

No 'New York Pizza'

• Like 1

The last week Oosterdam has been in Brest France.  It is right next to a space where Eurodam was recently in drydock and I suspect she's in a shipyard, either a dry dock or a wet dock.

Roy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The last week Oosterdam has been in Brest France.  It is right next to a space where Eurodam was recently in drydock and I suspect she's in a shipyard, either a dry dock or a wet dock.

Roy

Apparently left some of her tenders in Torbay before heading to Brest.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/cruise-ship-oosterdam-prepares-leave-5204012

According to some local French papers she is having an 11 day 'Technical stop'.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/brest-29200/brest-le-paquebot-em-oosterdam-em-en-arret-technique-chez-damen-shiprepair-038b7b80-8d7d-11eb-b46d-36cfa7bc1278

https://brest.maville.com/actu/actudet_--brest.-le-paquebot-oosterdam-en-arret-technique-chez-damen-shiprepair-_fil-4555784_actu.Htm?xtor=RSS-4&utm_source=RSS_MVI_brest&utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=RSS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 7:29 PM, Mike B Landlubber said:

I’m excited about the ship, I just signed up today for the eleven day cruise from Perth to Sydney this December. A little of a gamble, but I am looking forward to it! 🙂

We are on the same cruise, do you think it will go ahead?