Artwork From Sold Ships?

JeffElizabeth

This FAQ went out to trade when the four ships were removed from the fleet last summer.   Having been on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam, in keeping with the established art themes for the Pinnacle class ships, I doubt there will be a huge amount of opportunity for adaptive re-use.   Scott.  

image.png.a244cf027a454eb460fb86c617c83ad0.png.f26c3737e51721063a08aedcb876179c.png

The mural on the forward bulkhead of the Ritz Carlton Room on Rotterdam V was reproduced on a forward bulkhead of the MDR on Rotterdam VI.  One would hope that such would appear on Rotterdam VII.  It would be a connection to the past.  But, does the interior designer of Rotterdam VII care about such?  Given the art that I viewed on the Nieuw Statendam, that connection was far from his mind.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tntornadox said:

I could have sworn I read somewhere some art from Rotterdam VI was being installed aboard Rotterdam VII.

I hope you are right.  But, as I posted, I wonder about the Ritz Carlton mural from Rotterdam V that appeared on the upper level of the MDR on Rotterdam VI.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tntornadox said:

I could have sworn I read somewhere some art from Rotterdam VI was being installed aboard Rotterdam VII.

I am remembering the same thing.  A vague post that I cannot find.  Reading between the lines, I felt then that these were the Stephen Card paintings.

This was after hearing that the the Ritz Carlton mural would be installed.

Hopefully I am remembering correctly.

Barbara

I also seem to remember that the "4 Seasons" Wall sculpture located in the forward staircase outside the Crows Nest on MS Amsterdam (originally from the Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938) was going to be preserved by HAL to be installed on a future vessel.  I'm not sure what the status of that is at this point as I have heard nothing else since the original announcement of sale of the 4 vessels last year from HAL.

Rendering of original installation onboard Nieuw Amsterdam of 1938

image.png.e76784b069aa6020c0ae9aa293d93ea8.png

As installed on Amsterdam of 2000

image.png.70f3684df8b8c58d9e2146c7780fb7e3.png

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

And speaking of Captain Card, we haven’t heard from him recently.

I don’t know but I fear he is not well.  He hasn’t been on FB either.

I consider myself fortunate to have met him and sailed with him on the Prinsendam.  He was kind enough to speak at our Meet and Greet when I asked.  He’s an absolutely lovely person.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

Correction:  I was thinking of the "Four Seasons" mural, probably not the Ritz Carlton art.

Barbara

Both the "Four Seasons" sculpture as well as the Ritz Carlton mural ought to have been preserved.  The sculpture could be kept intact.  The mural could be duplicated as it was on Rotterdam VI.  The original still exists on Rotterdam V.  

• Like 1

Actually, after a bit of research, the murals were painted by two separate artists, albeit in reminiscent styles ?  The staircase mural from Rotterdam V  was painted by Cuno van den Steene.  The original artwork remains on Rotterdam (this photo was taken from a restoration survey in 2020)   

DSC_0253-1.thumb.jpg.37ab902c04c05fe4f1b55cd96f73dd27.jpg

The murals on the bulkheads of Rotterdam VI's La Fontaine dining room were painted by Klaas Posthuma in a sympathetic style, but aren't duplicative.  Fun little pre-office research project this am.    Scott. 

big_36358674_0_300-225.jpeg.9186682fb34acdc95e5191249509910d.jpegr6fntain.jpg.3756c57715254d9f4767abafc71a7c9b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@YXU AC*SE Thanks for that great bit of history!  Even though not a true copy, the murals on Rotterdam VI certainly captured the essence and elegance (if not the the grandness of scale) of the mural on Rotterdam V.  Hopefully Fred Olsen will preserve the murals in the LaFontaine Dining room on Rotterdam VI, just as the owners of Rotterdam V have done.

Too much of our maritime history, and the great decorative arts installed on historic vessels, has been lost or mutilated beyond recognition.

• Like 5

@AtlantaCruiser72, I sailed w/ a group of friends on V's inaugural season as Rembrandt with then Premier Cruise Lines. Our accompanying TA / tour conductor was (and still is) a member of the World Ship Society (Port of New York Branch) and a liner history enthusiast / fanatic. He facilitated some very interesting tours pre 9-11 when it was still allowable to do so.   

Got an upgrade into a suite at the pier (it was so big it had its own trunk room across the hall). First time to Europe in fact.  Barely 30.  TWA was just circling the toilet into receivership, our luggage didn't make Barcelona from a change of plane at JFK, and finally caught up to us in Nice four days later. Luggage was tossed on the roof of the last tender, and we were at anchor in Villefranche-sur-Mer.  As we were heading out to the ship, a 60' sedan bridge cruiser went by, trying to get up on plane -- huge wake. We broadsided the wake in the tender, started to roll, and the luggage, which was upon the roof flipped off into the Med.  A memorable vacation for a zillion reasons !   When we were done the cruise TWA was bankrupt, and we got put up in SItges for a couple of days, until we could get flights out.  Ended  up coming home KL via AMS to DTW.  Luggage in tow.       

As for the V, it was mid-century modern cool before that was a thing. I have the requisite group shot of us along down that staircase.  And as you can see by my footer Rotterdam VI was a bit of a favourite.  Recognized the homage right away.  I too, had assumed latter mural was a direct lift of the former ...  

Going into the dining room of VI (lower level) if I recall, there was a model of V.   Would love to see that somewhere in VII. Perhaps Explorations Lounge / Crowsnest?  Plus there is mural wall in the Sel de Mer resto spaces on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam?  Might just be the spot for it?    Scott.     

• Like 5

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Going into the dining room of VI (lower level) if I recall, there was a model of V.

I do recall seeing that.  I was also so pleased to see a model of the Royal Viking Sun displayed in the foyer of a deck on Prinsendam.

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thanks for that great bit of history!  Even though not a true copy, the murals on Rotterdam VI certainly captured the essence and elegance (if not the the grandness of scale) of the mural on Rotterdam V. 

Given the time span that occurred between the creation of those two pieces of art, not surprising that they were not identical.  Can anyone ever create an identical Pieta?  

11 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Actually, after a bit of research, the murals were painted by two separate artists, albeit in reminiscent styles ? 

I appreciate you doing the research.  Thank you.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Given the time span that occurred between the creation of those two pieces of art, not surprising that they were not identical.  Can anyone ever create an identical Pieta?  

Well considering there are numerous reliefs, statues and paintings, by various artists, titled "Pieta", the answer is no.  However I know you are referring to the most famous one by Michaelangelo that resides in St. Peters Basilica :)  Even a VERY good copy of an original is never quite the same, even when executed by the same artist.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were on the final sailing of the old Westerdam (the ship that was cut in half and lengthened) and they auctioned off the plaques etc that a ship receives the first time it visits a new port.  I managed to get three of them for a nominal price.  Now that I think of it I should get them out of the basement and hang them on the wall somewhere.  🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bodger said:

they auctioned off the plaques etc that a ship receives the first time it visits a new port. 

I participated in such an auction during Statendam's final voyage to Singapore.  I made a bid 1-2 minutes before the close of the auction for a plaque that I wanted.  I lost!

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 4:24 PM, cruisemom42 said:

In these days of 3-D printing, who's to say it couldn't happen...

Yes,   ^^   That

On 2/15/2021 at 4:24 PM, cruisemom42 said:

In these days of 3-D printing, who's to say it couldn't happen...

Yes,  ^^^     That

On 2/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, Bodger said:

We were on the final sailing of the old Westerdam (the ship that was cut in half and lengthened) and they auctioned off the plaques etc that a ship receives the first time it visits a new port.  I managed to get three of them for a nominal price.  Now that I think of it I should get them out of the basement and hang them on the wall somewhere.  🙂

Was really hoping they would auction off the Prinsendam plaques. I even had one picked out.