The Daily for Thursday Feb 11, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning from very foggy Georgia.  I can't even see across to the other side of the fairway from my house.  Thank goodness we have no plans to go anywhere today so will stay snug inside.  

My arm is improving but still sore but I expect improvement as the day wears on.  Yesterday I took a nap to catch up on the sleep I lost the night before and while I did that DH apparently washed his car.  Gosh, so sorry I couldn't help you with that, honey!  Obviously his arm wasn't as sore as mine was if he could wash the car with it.

I'm hoping we get some good news about Roy today.  Our prayers and good thoughts are with him.

Hope you start feeling better St Louis. Allen had his 2nd shot yesterday afternoon and felt a bit sore this morning.  Had a tylenol and says he's fine now.

• Like 8

Good morning.  Rich thank you for stepping in for Roy in addition to your own reports.  Like the rest of the Dailyites, we are hoping it is nothing serious with Roy, and that he will be back home soon.

During the last very unreal year, I know I have made many new friends here.  Having friends to share the day, our thoughts and hopes with has been a very bright spot.

Another day that dinner will be close to the meal suggestion.  We are having chicken cacciatore and rice for dinner with a salad and wine.  The hardest part of this recipe is putting a cup of my favorite white wine in the pot, but it does help the recipe.

@ger_77 Gerry, so very glad you were not seriously hurt in that scary fall.  Take it easy and be pampered, but remember to use those sore muscles some to ease the soreness sooner.  Slippery bath mats are a hazard.  

Having a house in the dry Arizona desert is hard on non-slip backings on rugs, making them dry out and become slippery.  I noticed the ours were beginning to slip a couple of months ago, but it took me until late January to find new ones in the color we needed.  They were shipped 1/27 and were originally supposed to be here 1/30.  Like so many things now, that did not go according to plan. 😲 Those darn bathmats have seen more of this country than we have the last year.  The have gone from Grapevine (outside of Dallas0, to IN,  UT,  NV and then Phoenix.  Yesterday the passed through Quartzsite on their way to  Los Angeles.  Now, we're just hoping they get here before we head back to Texas.  😁   In the meanwhile, we are being extremely careful stepping in and out of the shower and the tub.

Please check the backing of any rug to make sure they are still in good condition.  

I will leave you with a trip into space.  Here is the Orion Nebula.

Orion.thumb.jpeg.f61689725f244c42cddc178cd7166a07.jpeg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21

We just got back from the Minneapolis Convention Center where Mitzi got her first Moderna shot. The state had things very well set up and they moved people through quickly. The building is huge and essentially unused otherwise so there was plenty of room for people to socially distance. The only exceptions were the elevators to the parking garage - no way to distance in there!

Mitzi did not have any adverse reaction (yet) and they said that Ibuprofen should not be taken if the arm starts hurting. Acetaminophen was recommended instead. I am still looking for my chance at getting shot!

Along the Thames, they have lamp posts with these interesting fish motifs - I read they are supposedly dolphins or sturgeon - 

1314899378_P3300890(2).thumb.JPG.5cb6286e549cd4a49ea133a9710cc15e.JPG305913295_P3300894(2).thumb.JPG.8eec82206fe09abaf65240e434111a29.JPG20481829_P3300896(2).thumb.JPG.675061a618f960735591c7563a12f982.JPG

Lions were also in abundance - 

1101792637_P3300892(2).thumb.JPG.7c9d9230ba786873b3074c1f9985fa91.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily, and double duty Daily for Roy. 

Good morning to my sweet sisters and fellow Daily-ites. 

Roy, your on my heart today. 

Gerry I hope you are feeling better. Hitting a tile floor is like being hit by a truck. 

It's cold here today. We've had freezing rain all morning. Also thunder. My neighbors are accusing me again for bringing the cold from north Idaho. It will be down to 6 in the next few days which I hear is very unusual for Central Texas. 

Our little birds must be freezing and we still have our pair of hummingbirds! 

Allen's 2nd vaccine was yesterday. A bit sore when waking but now feels fine.

I had left over roasted chicken so decided to make chicken vegetable wild rice soup today. 

Prayers and cheers,

Joy

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hope you start feeling better St Louis. Allen had his 2nd shot yesterday afternoon and felt a bit sore this morning.  Had a tylenol and says he's fine now.

Joy, the pain is decreasing as the day goes on, so I am doing fine.  Glad to hear Allen is coping well!

• Like 8

Talking about hummingbirds, I went out to bring in a few plants that I'm hoping I will be able to save from the big freeze, and there was a hummingbird making noises at me, so I had a look at the feeder, and it was full of icy slush (it had been inside overnight, and put out just  a couple of hours ago), so I brought both feeders in and put them on the stove to warm up.  As soon as they went out again the little birds were on them, drinking away.  We are going to have to bring them in every few hours, I think, to defrost them...

• Like 18

Good morning, all! Make a friend day is celebrated via iPad this year, but what a wonderful group of people I’ve met here! Last nights Skiers Skillet with smashed potatoes was a big hit. Dinner tonight is undecided.

Prayers that all is well with Roy and he is posting again soon. @ger_77 Gerry, I’m so relieved  you didn’t break anything in that fall! A temperature of -51 certainly warrants a fight- or- flight response, but not THAT kind of flight!

A year ago today the Amsterdam took us to San Antonio, Chile, our last stop in the Americas before heading across the Pacific. Our tour took us inland to visit a winery, among other stops. On the way home we stopped at Isla Negra, the seaside home of Pablo Neruda.

BC1AA38A-A5DF-4B6B-B0E5-5374D6C522EE.thumb.jpeg.831f2d8791ced27338d9da580b232652.jpeg

Mural on a stairway, leaving the port.

215E1C71-7A8D-4DC7-8355-029B639AF9B7.thumb.jpeg.298d8e89513a797dacd7fee879b770b9.jpeg47CC511D-0D1E-4843-8215-07E8A8A50BDE.thumb.png.64c6522b93f9bef7eeb7db203ad30187.pngAFB3FCA4-430E-467E-B421-261F1E08C135.thumb.png.dc18f24176c0490fd51e5f38e9fd5f6e.png

Scenes from the winery.

0B7DF61D-400F-4D05-9355-BD8EDCD5F799.thumb.jpeg.79339aa59de5d10539a72e308548969b.jpeg

Indoor tasting room.

45AD47F6-4CDE-4846-BA8C-9381F8B46CA1.thumb.png.83a1b7219d85fcd1aca16d40bf9852a4.png

Outdoor tasting room.

2D2FD62D-0B5E-44D9-9913-9B571E4390B8.thumb.jpeg.f09ba552d0e6eee558c814404bf32800.jpegDAC3D4C5-5ECC-49E4-ADF5-B30E07CD274B.thumb.jpeg.9fde0c1f4b3aeedaaf8a55f0e6e6e557.jpeg984D3B4D-D20C-41EE-B931-79E55060D110.thumb.jpeg.8792d950eb18ff68f5063dd07c5cc916.jpegB0FCC5B7-E77B-4002-8957-C04EF6E586BE.thumb.jpeg.8fbcbb4df117ed1cdd99e6d8947c2173.jpeg

The estate of Pablo Neruda on Isla Negra.

And last night’s stage of gingerbread pagoda construction, what you would call finished to lock up. Today is making it look nice. (I hope)

F0F45051-E461-4047-AE0F-8B9EFBC84EA0.thumb.jpeg.d13dc18e866b7f053960a94f6089c4e7.jpeg

Stabilizing roof components. I’ve only done a chalet style roof before.

0E170F93-D790-41F5-A5FD-856254DCB396.thumb.jpeg.ba06349525577e40d7dd71b1e7e53679.jpeg

Rough assembly complete, awaiting finishing.

And of course, Happy Thursday from the elevators of the Amsterdam.

3742EFBB-2A2B-4063-8BDD-AA7B0558D8E2.thumb.jpeg.131ec3eeb7fc4c370882bf00cc18a5b1.jpeg

• Like 25

Nasty weather down Texas way for sure, @Seasick Sailor.  Our son just called us from Waco and he says it's freezing rain and sleet!  He just flew in last night from Clearwater Beach, FL and is not a happy camper.  He has to be in Waco for about 2 weeks during a patent infringement trial where he is an "expert witness" as they call it.  He resides in Michigan but his family decided to spend 3 months in Florida this winter since the kids are doing school virtually, and he and his wife can work from home.  Now he is missing the last two weeks of their stay down there, and he will have to head home to Michigan March 1.  I do believe his blood has thinned over the past couple of months, poor dear!  I predict a move to Florida in their future.  Meanwhile my daughter in Ohio is jealous and says she wants to move to Florida too.   😎

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Nasty weather down Texas way for sure, @Seasick Sailor.  Our son just called us from Waco and he says it's freezing rain and sleet!  He just flew in last night from Clearwater Beach, FL and is not a happy camper.  He has to be in Waco for about 2 weeks during a patent infringement trial where he is an "expert witness" as they call it.  He resides in Michigan but his family decided to spend 3 months in Florida this winter since the kids are doing school virtually, and he and his wife can work from home.  Now he is missing the last two weeks of their stay down there, and he will have to head home to Michigan March 1.  I do believe his blood has thinned over the past couple of months, poor dear!  I predict a move to Florida in their future.  Meanwhile my daughter in Ohio is jealous and says she wants to move to Florida too.   😎

Please tell you son to be careful with the freezing rain and sleet.  Yes, I know he's from Michigan and can handle winter weather, but a lot of people in that area don't know how to drive in those conditions, especially icy roads.  .While, that part of Texas, which is about 45 miles south of our Texas home, does get snow, freezing rain and sleet, it is not a regular event.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Please tell you son to be careful with the freezing rain and sleet.  Yes, I know he's from Michigan and can handle winter weather, but a lot of people in that area don't know how to drive in those conditions, especially icy roads.  .While, that part of Texas, which is about 45 miles south of our Texas home, does get snow, freezing rain and sleet, it is not a regular event.  

Lenda

Thanks.  I will remind him of that, because that is what Mom's do, right?  We always worry about our kids.  😇

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

A year ago today the Amsterdam took us to San Antonio, Chile, our last stop in the Americas before heading across the Pacific. Our tour took us inland to visit a winery, among other stops. On the way home we stopped at Isla Negra, the seaside home of Pablo Neruda.

Nice on visiting Isla Negra.  I’m a Pablo Neruda fan as well.  In fact I wrote my thesis on his works.  We were delighted to visit his house in Valparaiso .

Thanks for the pics

0E170F93-D790-41F5-A5FD-856254DCB396.thumb.jpeg.ba06349525577e40d7dd71b1e7e53679.jpeg

Rough assembly complete, awaiting finishing.

Love your gingerbread pagoda!

• Like 7

Thanks to all who keep this cheery post alive!  My 2nd Pfizer was completed this morning in La Jolla, one of my sisters is taking my Mother for her first vaccine tomorrow in Scottsdale, DH is scheduled for 2nd dose on Sunday, and I feel like I have won the lottery! 

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks.  I will remind him of that, because that is what Mom's do, right?  We always worry about our kids.  😇

So true.  And father's worry about their kids, especially daughters.  .My father used to tell me that I'd always be his little girl.

DH just told me about a deadly crash on I-35 in Ft. Worth with many cars involved.  The rule of thumb for those Texans who know better, in this kind of weather, don't go out unless you have to.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Following all the weather news and hoping this next series of storms (beginning here on Friday) are not too bad. Am stocking up just in case. I know Texas is really suffering.... that accident was horrible.  On the good news side of things.... my sister is now scheduled for her first C-19 shot next week.... if the weather cooperates. Fingers crossed. Her daughter will drive her since they are worried about ice.

Susan

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

It just got a tad colder.  LOL

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

544E5F33-B631-4065-8E60-A8CB8DB7DD8A.png

I  try  but  cannot  truly imagine such  cold. I  am  sorry  you  fell  and  hope  you  are feeling  a  little  better. It  is  a  scary  thing  when  it occurs.   Terry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@richwmnthanks for the daily report and continuing the  care list for @rafinmd.  greatly appreciated.   Also, thanks for mentioning another New Zealand wine.

We hope @rafinmdis improving , and that he will soon be discharged from hospital.

@Cruising-along thank you for supporting the NZ wine industry.

@Horizon chaser 1957thanks for sharing your photos, is your Gingerbread Pagoda for a  special.occasion?

We have a lovely sunny summer day.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

@Horizon chaser 1957thanks for sharing your photos, is your Gingerbread Pagoda for a  special.occasion?

We have a lovely sunny summer day.

Stay well and safe everyone.

It is for Chinese New Year, which is today for you but tomorrow for us. Here is a sneak peek at the finished product, since by tomorrow CNY will be over for you.

33FF9362-2599-453F-9FE3-9F247640641A.thumb.jpeg.9015662103ecc927c3a154639f02dadb.jpeg

• Like 18

12 hours ago, Aardvaark said:

My old eyes and the resolution of the image makes it hard to distinguish just what is there.  CT?

12 hours ago, Aardvaark said:

My old eyes and the resolution of the image makes it hard to distinguish just what is there.  CT?

That is correct.

DH asks: CTT or CTR, OMI