Canada/NE Cruises - September vs October

colliercruiser

We're considering a Canada/NE cruise in 2022... now that our 2021 sailing is in the process of being canceled.  Is there a significant difference (e.g., weather or other) between these Canada/NE cruises in September versus October?  Is October getting "too late"?  Comparing two sailings on Celebrity... a mid-September versus an early October cruise (same 12-day itinerary), I note the September sailing looks to be more booked than the October sailing.

36 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

We're considering a Canada/NE cruise in 2022... now that our 2021 sailing is in the process of being canceled.  Is there a significant difference (e.g., weather or other) between these Canada/NE cruises in September versus October?  Is October getting "too late"?  Comparing two sailings on Celebrity... a mid-September versus an early October cruise (same 12-day itinerary), I note the September sailing looks to be more booked than the October sailing.

Book the 21 September 2022 12 night New England/Canada cruise. That way you get a little of both months. 

Edited by davekathy

Well, weather will definitely be cooler in October (although it will not be a beach vacation in September either🤪); however, if you are interested in viewing the vibrant tree colours in NS, NB or QC, the best time is generally early to mid October https://www.bonjourquebec.com/en-ca/explore/seasons/fall 

Having said that, it only takes one big windstorm and then, leaves are on the ground...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Book the 21 September 2022 12 night New England/Canada cruise. That way you get a little of both months. 

Unfortunately, the Sept 21 sailing is sold out of our desired cabin (a Celebrity Suite which we had reserved on the canceled 2021 sailing)... and it also conflicts with another planned occasion.

13 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

Unfortunately, the Sept 21 sailing is sold out of our desired cabin (a Celebrity Suite which we had reserved on the canceled 2021 sailing)... and it also conflicts with another planned occasion.

Then I guess you answered your own question 🙂

24 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

Now you mention September is a no go for you. Possibly someone who did the October 2019 NE/Canada cruise will respond that can tell you what their weather was like in October. Now only if we could get mother nature to commit. 😉 We had great weather September 2019 and we were chasing Dorian who I believe was about 5 or 6 days ahead of us.

Edited by davekathy

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Then I guess you answered your own question 🙂

Not really.  We still have a choice to make: book the Oct sailing or push our plans out yet another year (with maybe a different cruise in between).  So this is why I am interested in thoughts re: Sept vs Oct for this itinerary.

10 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

Not really.  We still have a choice to make: book the Oct sailing or push our plans out yet another year (with maybe a different cruise in between).  So this is why I am interested in thoughts re: Sept vs Oct for this itinerary.

If you've never done the NE/Canada cruise  here is an excellent review written by Turtles06. We were on the same cruise (14 Nights September 2019).

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

We made this cruise in late September three years ago.

With the exception of Day 2, we had excellent weather.

Comfortable days and cool nights. No rain.

As we were off the ship in every port, the pleasant weather more than made up for the lack of peak color.

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If you’ve  never done the NE/Canada cruise  here is an excellent review written by Turtles06. We were on the same cruise (14 Nights September 2019).

Thanks Dave, I may need to hire you as my publicist. 🤣

Edited by Turtles06
  • Thanks 1

We lived in Halifax for a good many years and now return every couple of years on holiday, always in September. In 2015, we took a New England - Canada cruise and decided that mid-September would be optimal. While a bit early most years for fall colours, we live in a region with gorgeous colouring so this wasn't high on out list of priorities. As it tuned out, we had glorious weather for the entire trip, although Bar Harbor was shrouded in fog for a good part of the day.

While September would be our choice, you really can't go wrong with October. Here's a weather comparison for Halifax; not a big difference, but definitely cooler in October.

SEPTEMBER

Min Temperature 12 °C
Max Temperature 19 °C
Chance of Rain 40%
Precipitation 108mm
Rainy Days 12
Sunshine Hours 180

OCTOBER

Min Temperature 6 °C
Max Temperature 13 °C
Chance of Rain 47%
Precipitation 124mm
Rainy Days 14
Sunshine Hours 174

Of course, weather throughout the itinerary can be very unpredictable and September has seen many more hurricanes than other months, more than double the count for October. On the other hand, the majority of those that did come in October came late in the month.

In your shoes, I would go with the October 2022 cruise rather than waiting for September 2023.

I live very close to the port of Halifax and October would be a great time to visit.  The weather is typically very sunny and the maple trees would be very colourful.  September is also very good but you do not get the seasonal fall colors.

I highly recommend booking October for your cruise.

The weather here is definitely getting cooler in October but every year (every day) is a toss up of what you might expect with respect to weather.  As others have said, October is when the leaves are turning more so if that plays into your plans at all (scenic tour) then lean to that month.  I personally prefer September for the anticipated slightly warmer weather but I think you would be happy with either month if other things weigh in more as higher deciding factors.

Early October is pretty in the Martimes.

2 hours ago, Basketball wife said:

Well, weather will definitely be cooler in October (although it will not be a beach vacation in September either🤪); however, if you are interested in viewing the vibrant tree colours in NS, NB or QC, the best time is generally early to mid October https://www.bonjourquebec.com/en-ca/explore/seasons/fall 

Having said that, it only takes one big windstorm and then, leaves are on the ground...

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

We lived in Halifax for a good many years and now return every couple of years on holiday, always in September. In 2015, we took a New England - Canada cruise and decided that mid-September would be optimal. While a bit early most years for fall colours, we live in a region with gorgeous colouring so this wasn't high on out list of priorities. As it tuned out, we had glorious weather for the entire trip, although Bar Harbor was shrouded in fog for a good part of the day.

While September would be our choice, you really can't go wrong with October. Here's a weather comparison for Halifax; not a big difference, but definitely cooler in October.

Of course, weather throughout the itinerary can be very unpredictable and September has seen many more hurricanes than other months, more than double the count for October. On the other hand, the majority of those that did come in October came late in the month.

In your shoes, I would go with the October 2022 cruise rather than waiting for September 2023.

45 minutes ago, poffles said:

The weather here is definitely getting cooler in October but every year (every day) is a toss up of what you might expect with respect to weather.  As others have said, October is when the leaves are turning more so if that plays into your plans at all (scenic tour) then lean to that month.  I personally prefer September for the anticipated slightly warmer weather but I think you would be happy with either month if other things weigh in more as higher deciding factors.

Early October is pretty in the Martimes.

You have three great opinions as to the best time and the reasons for that choice.

My wife and I both have family in Atlantic Canada, and we generally visit in the months of August, September and October.  As previously stated there are pro's and con's of each month.  Atlantic Canada is impacted in Aug and possibly in early Sept as part of the hurricane season. As you get closer to the end of Oct the weather will get cooler, particularly if you are coming from a warmer climate you may think it is cold.  Our preferred time is late Sept through the middle of Oct.  As mentioned earlier the colours will be at their peak sometime during this period; however, no guarantee as much of the colours are dependant on weather.  Depending on what you are planning on doing while in port, the tourist volume will be lower in October than in September.

6 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

The best times would be from September through Columbus Day in October.  After the first two weeks in October, the weather tends to be cooler as the days are shorter.  Peak foliage in New England is generally around the first couple of weeks in October.  It is a great time to visit  New England.  

We've been at these Canada N/E ports in Oct 2017 & 2019 and both times had just amazing weather and the colors....couldn't have been better.

I'm booked again for Oct 2021 but assuming that cancels and will do either September or October 2022.

Have done cruises in September and had rainy cold weather.  Same cruise early October and was beautiful weather and leaves changing.

You never know.  Did September in 2019 in New Brunswick and temps were into the 80s most days.  

My Magic 8 ball is about as dependable as information about future cruising.

FWIW - we would not do the NYC to Quebec cruise again.  Would prefer to spend say 8 weeks driving and seeing the sights.  Get a lousy weather day and simply play some cards or watch the storm at the beach.

Do you know for sure That your 2021 cruise will be canceled? I am booked on that same cruise in October and I still am holding for hope that the Canadian government will change their minds if the covid Numbers go down.  Have you heard anything?

29 minutes ago, gray55 said:

Do you know for sure That your 2021 cruise will be canceled? I am booked on that same cruise in October and I still am holding for hope that the Canadian government will change their minds if the covid Numbers go down.  Have you heard anything?

Nothing confirmed, but just looking at possible options given how likely it is to be canceled.  We should be hearing from Celebrity very soon.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, today I contacted Celebrity to inquire if it was possible to “lift & shift” my upcoming September 22nd , 2021 Canada / New England cruise to September of 2022. 
Upon checking with the resolutions department, the representative advised that Celebrity would honor my request and allow me to maintain my original pricing and perks. Bear in mind that this upcoming September cruise was already “lifted & shifted” once before from last year in 2020.

With the disappearance of the upcoming 2021 Celebrity Canada / New England cruises from the website, it appears that this year’s cruises will be cancelled. Also, they seemed to be very accommodating in honoring my request today - possibly having info that has not been released to the public yet.

• Like 1

As a lifelong New Englander, I vote October.  The foliage will be in some state of change, crisp mornings and evenings, limited danger of tropical remnants coming up this way.  Lobster is also tastier when it comes from cooler sea temperatures. Hard shell is always sweeter than a molting lobster.

September has pool weather possibilities, October that's a no go on swimming even for this hearty soul.  Though the sea temperatures will still be very chilly. High 50s low 60s probably.  I'll swim in the sea if it hits 65. Much lower it hurts.  

Hopefully my rambling helped. 

We did the Boston to Quebec City cruise 2 1/2years ago departing in med-September.   It was a great cruise, loved Bar Harbor Maine and the Canadian Maritimes.  Also, loved Quebec City, we stayed three days there after the cruise.

I wish we had done the cruise a bit later, the leaf turning was not until late September, early October.