HOW VACCINE AVAILABILITY COULD IMPACT START OF CRUISES

mcrcruiser

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Did you check CVS? I don't know every location in San Diego County, but I see at least 4 locations in San Diego County, on their website, that claims to have shots available.

Was down to 1 location Santee, at 2:30 today.  Now at 4 the closest is in Victorville. about 2.5  hours away from SD 

Edited by nocl

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Because we are most likely a lot older than those who posted here ,we expect not to have to go crazy to get vaccinated . We do not move quite as well as when we were younger . Additionally ,I expect our elected officials to do a much better job than complaining & placing  the  blame on to others   .It just seems to me that many states & counties & even the Federal government did not have a really good plan in place about availability for the vaccines in large quantities & then getting those doses to the CVS pharmacies or other convenient outlets .

My bottom line question why do we have to go crazy & the government get off the hook  for a bad job ?  

We are willing to take the vaccines but we are unwilling to scramble for them . The government says they are free ? Really ?

Considering that that it is less than 12 months since the pandemic really got started and 2 months and 2 days since the Pfizer EUA was approved, the fact that we given out almost 50 million vaccinations is actually quite impressive.  

In the US we do give out around 150-175 million flu vaccinations each year, but that is a well known process with plenty of doses available. By the time we get to the normal length of the flu season we will probably have done that many COVID vaccinations.

Well before the approval I made the comment in the vaccines discussion that it really did not matter what the priority was and how distribution would happen, it would be criticized and no one would be happy because people would want it immediately and that was just not possible.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, SFO PETER said:

We are in San Francisco.   UCSF and Sutter Health are now vaccinating those above 65.

Your Health Provider is the key.   We also have "drop in clinics" for those 65 and over.   Perhaps you need some help to point you in the right direction for vaccine?   

My brother and sister-in-law in San Francisco now have had their first shots. Originally they were told by Kaiser, don't call us. Then later they were told go find somewhere to get shots. And then they did.

5 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

In our state of New Hampshire things are going pretty well but we are a very small state.  There's an effort to home vaccinate those who cannot travel the distance to the various sites and it made me think there might be something like it in the San Diego area since it's a nationwide problem.  

I found the following story that might help, hopefully the link will work 

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/in-depth-plan-in-the-works-to-vaccinate-san-diego-countys-homebound-seniors

The State of New Hampshire was very proactive in announcing that the website to register would be available at 8 a.m. on January 22.  I logged on at 8:01, got an appointment at the closest location, even though it is 14 miles away (live in the foothills of the White Mountains at the northern end of the Lakes Region in a very sparsely populated area), and immediately after I was vaccinated, I was given a date (March 3) for the second dose.  Couldn't be more pleased and hope to see some of you who post here on a HAL cruise later in 2021 or in the spring, summer, or fall of 2022!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

San Diego county has 3.5 million people . From both the county of SD information & our search within the county vaccine sites  & CVS  ,we find no availability for dates  . Perhaps you can lend us   your magic wand 

Check out the my turn website.  This is the availability for San Marcos, well within your comfort zone as of 9:40pm.

0D897A51-311A-44CB-AED2-64EFA474CC08.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

San Diego county has 3.5 million people . From both the county of SD information & our search within the county vaccine sites  & CVS  ,we find no availability for dates  . Perhaps you can lend us   your magic 

Availability for Oceanside as of 10:15pm.

D90E9027-5D8C-40BC-8F09-B76DAD6DBAFA.png

I think OP is over 75 years of age. They should be in the front of the line.   Health Provider?   If you have been to any of UC, Kaiser, Sutter Health clinics or hospitals within the last three years you can set up an online account and you can get appointment from them right away.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SFO PETER said:

I think OP is over 75 years of age. They should be in the front of the line.   Health Provider?   If you have been to any of UC, Kaiser, Sutter Health clinics or hospitals within the last three years you can set up an online account and you can get appointment from them right away.  

I have a brother over 70 in San Francisco who is a member of Kaiser. He said they told him and his wife to look elsewhere for the vaccine; luckily recently they found vaccines available (not with Kaiser), and now have had their first shots and seconds scheduled.

On 2/13/2021 at 6:14 AM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Newspaper accounts today indicate Pima County (Tucson, AZ) is receiving half the doses this that it received two weeks ago so they are curtailing appointments for the first does and "hoping" there is enough left for those set to receive the second dose. This dire notification when the State announced a Mega 24 hour clinic at the University of AZ to open within two weeks. 

High expectations and low  number of  doses allocated. At the same time statistics were released showing age groups, ethnicity, etc.  receiving the doses. In these accounts, Tucson was praised for a high vaccination rate but our positivity rate is still 12.5%

Is it any wonder it is hard to believe what we are told.

My mom is having the same problem in Tucson. She is 65 and works as a school nurse normally. But since she hasn’t been able to get the vaccine she won’t go back to work for the days where there are in person classes. Too dangerous for her. Since she’s not technically working she doesn’t qualify as a medical worker but she does qualify for age. Just no availability. 

Vaccine rollout in Florida going very well. Governor started with front line workers and then seniors over 65. There are 4.3 million seniors in State and as of yesterday 40% had received first dose and many second dose. Besides State having centralized vaccinations sites in each county, Walmart, Publix & Winn Dixie Supermarkets giving shots with CVS and Walgreens to follow. This accounts for over 600 locations throughout State. Only problem is getting supplies to speed up shots.

• Like 4

Today (Sunday) I talked to a San Francisco Farmers Market acquaintance.   She is 66 and she said she just got the shot from Kaiser last week.    I know Kaiser seems to have problems with obtaining vaccine.

Good luck to all those that are seeking to get vaccinated.

Peter

RedneckBob, I don't know where you got this 40 percent that had received the vaccine because I looked it up and it says 10.4 percent for first dose and 4.5% for second.  We are in Pinellas County and the problem in the beginning was that the sites were crashing and neither did the phone lines work.

I have spent 14 hours on the computer trying to get vaccines for hubby and me.  Finally got mine but because we only have one email address I was not able to get his.  My second is Feb 25.  Tried 4 times with Publix and will try again tomorrow morning at 7 am.  One time I was up at 5:30 am.

It is not all rosy as some might think in Florida.  Publix is the only pharmacy in our area that is giving the vaccine.  The other is the county health department.

Really, really sorry for venting.  Will let you know what happens next.

Happy Valentine's Day

Edited by S&B

1 hour ago, S&B said:

RedneckBob, I don't know where you got this 40 percent that had received the vaccine because I looked it up and it says 10.4 percent for first dose and 4.5% for second.  We are in Pinellas County and the problem in the beginning was that the sites were crashing and neither did the phone lines work.

I have spent 14 hours on the computer trying to get vaccines for hubby and me.  Finally got mine but because we only have one email address I was not able to get his.  My second is Feb 25.  Tried 4 times with Publix and will try again tomorrow morning at 7 am.  One time I was up at 5:30 am.

It is not all rosy as some might think in Florida.  Publix is the only pharmacy in our area that is giving the vaccine.  The other is the county health department.

Really, really sorry for venting.  Will let you know what happens next.

Happy Valentine's Day

Sorry for your problems. Except for the problems this week at the State Vac site at University Mall,  making an appointment in Hillsborough County has been a little easier. My DW got her second shot two weeks ago and my second shot is scheduled in two weeks.

As far as 40% of seniors vaccinated to date in Florida, that is what the Governor said this am on a national news network. Per the Florida website of vaccinations as of yesterday, 25% of seniors have received first shot, 16% second shot. Sorry for the error but I guess I should not believe what politicians say 😳

4 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Vaccine rollout in Florida going very well. Governor started with front line workers and then seniors over 65. There are 4.3 million seniors in State and as of yesterday 40% had received first dose and many second dose. Besides State having centralized vaccinations sites in each county, Walmart, Publix & Winn Dixie Supermarkets giving shots with CVS and Walgreens to follow. This accounts for over 600 locations throughout State. Only problem is getting supplies to speed up shots.

Both my husband and I have received both vaccinations as of 02/05/21 here in SW Florida.  Thank you, Gov. DeSantis.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

As far as 40% of seniors vaccinated to date in Florida, that is what the Governor said this am on a national news network. Per the Florida website of vaccinations as of yesterday, 25% of seniors have received first shot, 16% second shot. Sorry for the error but I guess I should not believe what politicians say 😳

LOL, he added the first and 2nd shots together to get 40%...that's real politician math!

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, mcrcruiser said:

HAL uses the San Diego port to do a lot of Mexico & Hawaii & Panama Canal  cruises & occasionally longer cruises  to the South Pacific & South America  . We are definitely concerned about the start dates for any of these cruises because of the lack of sufficient vaccine quantities . We surely hope that the 100 million shots each   from both Pfizer & Moderna are reality & not more unsupported government promises

Not to worry.   The  CDC framework guidelines for resuming cruising, that HAL must follow,  do not include the amount of vaccines in San Diego.

• Thanks 1

We could have gone to Ft. Myers, Publix, but we felt that was a little too far.  The Publix pharmacy told me it is just luck who gets on their website.  More hope with Publix tomorrow  at 7 am or waiting for that phone call from the county.  

My next concern is will HAL make the vaccine a mandate.   But I don't want to open up a can of worms.

14 hours ago, S&B said:

We could have gone to Ft. Myers, Publix, but we felt that was a little too far.  The Publix pharmacy told me it is just luck who gets on their website.  More hope with Publix tomorrow  at 7 am or waiting for that phone call from the county.  

My next concern is will HAL make the vaccine a mandate.   But I don't want to open up a can of worms.

Better yet - have HAL offer a 50% discount to those who have had the vaccine!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, S&B said:

I would hope so ...

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 11:53 AM, igraf said:

San Diego county is doing a fine job with the vaccinations, largely limited only by supply.  Vaccination sites are opening up everywhere, so you may have to look past your immediate location.

igraf

Very true!  I'm in FL and have been going on Publix site twice a week for three weeks at 6:00 a.m. to get an appointment.  No luck even checking the five nearest counties to where I live.  However, last week, my daughter was able to make appointments for both my sister and I ---  Here's the catch:  we had to drive to Jacksonville Beach, 4 1/2 hours from home.  Did we turn it down?  NOT ON YOUR LIFE!  It was a great feeling getting the first shot, with our second one scheduled - same place - for March 12.  It is worth going out of your comfort zone and way to get the vaccine, don't you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Very true!  I'm in FL and have been going on Publix site twice a week for three weeks at 6:00 a.m. to get an appointment.  No luck even checking the five nearest counties to where I live.  However, last week, my daughter was able to make appointments for both my sister and I ---  Here's the catch:  we had to drive to Jacksonville Beach, 4 1/2 hours from home.  Did we turn it down?  NOT ON YOUR LIFE!  It was a great feeling getting the first shot, with our second one scheduled - same place - for March 12.  It is worth going out of your comfort zone and way to get the vaccine, don't you think?

Jacksonville is the largest city in florida , and has   one of the youngest  population  

4 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Good for you! It's very nice reading this type of post after reading all the "500 have died already from the vaccine and big Pharma are hiding it" or "did you ever read of Thalidomide" posts.

Our site for our first shots and are seconds this Friday is 14 miles away. I just hope there is not a snow or ice storm Friday. We have been getting way too many of them, and if you believe the weather reports more are on the way,

15 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

While I am very pleased to hear that all y'all are getting vaxxed, we all still have a long, long way to go (unless we want to do RTs out of Haifa on the Crown Iris🙂 )    Scott.   

image.thumb.png.924070cf92ce7ea238ef90af308d2332.png

Maybe you could get vaxed while on the Iris...

• Haha 1