A ray of hope from Alaska?

kangforpres

I believe that a lot of this conjecture is a complete waste of time.

The civid issue is far from over world wide.   It is more than just one country.   There is still the projected third wave of covid that health officials are claiming is more contagious and more resistant to treatment than current strains to get past.

Cruising will open up when it opens up, not when CC posters think it will or think should.  Until then...just make alternate plans.  No use moaning about it.

Edited by iancal

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Grand Cayman which already announced no cruises until 2022 is now considering a limit on the number of cruisers per day.

https://cruiseradio.net/grand-cayman-considers-limiting-number-of-cruise-visitors/

Starting to see a trend of locations pushing back against the number and size of cruise ships.  Get the feeling that as cruise lines go to larger ships the route are going to get funneled into a smaller number of routes and ports making for very mundane cruising.

As it says in the articles the pandemic has had many cruise destinations take a look at where there tourist revenue really comes from and how little they get from cruising on a per passenger basis.

37 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

There was an article in the paper this morning saying US politicians are trying to salvage some sort of Alaska season, and have been in touch with our Prime Minister.  

They refuse to face the fact that even if Canada allows cruises, they first have to jump through the very high hoop of the CDC, and then the PVSA.  Posturing for votes.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

Agree, it is all about optics, not substance.  That is the nature of politics.

You have to watch very closely to see under which shell the pea is hidden. And with many, many politicians the pea strictly an illusion...it does not exist and never did.  Except in the minds of luckless voters.

Edited by iancal

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

They refuse to face the fact that even if Canada allows cruises, they first have to jump through the very high hoop of the CDC, and then the PVSA.  Posturing for votes.

And by the time they get through all that the season is over.  Sometimes the appearance of of trying to do something is the the intent,  knowing full well that you have no realistic prospect of actually accomplishing your stated goal.  Penn and Teller would be proud. 

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, it was a bi-partisan request from a significant committee.  They weren't asking for full port visits or embarkations, just "technical stops" which would presumably allow for R/T trips from Seattle or Seward.  And as far as PVSA goes, "technical stops" have a prior history; I think they could be allowed again on a temporary basis without changing the statute.

CDC (and their timing) is a whole different animal.  Logic may say that cruises with 100% vaccination are safe without the extreme measures in the current order.  And the CDC may get around to that conclusion as well, but probably not until October or so...  Given the logistics involved in getting ships, crews, shore facilities/excursions in place, it seems unlikely that the summer Alaska season is feasible.  I could see the possibility of a couple of smaller ships doing it (Oceania has one docked in Astoria, for example), but HAL/RCL/Princess/Celebrity would be a big challenge in crew logistics. 

I am on an August cruise that has not been cancelled yet.

I suspect that if any legislation is passed it will happen in May or later when they have a better idea of the Covid numbers.

When the numbers are down there will be a big push to reopen the economy

14 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

Well, it was a bi-partisan request from a significant committee.  They weren't asking for full port visits or embarkations, just "technical stops" which would presumably allow for R/T trips from Seattle or Seward.  And as far as PVSA goes, "technical stops" have a prior history; I think they could be allowed again on a temporary basis without changing the statute.

CDC (and their timing) is a whole different animal.  Logic may say that cruises with 100% vaccination are safe without the extreme measures in the current order.  And the CDC may get around to that conclusion as well, but probably not until October or so...  Given the logistics involved in getting ships, crews, shore facilities/excursions in place, it seems unlikely that the summer Alaska season is feasible.  I could see the possibility of a couple of smaller ships doing it (Oceania has one docked in Astoria, for example), but HAL/RCL/Princess/Celebrity would be a big challenge in crew logistics. 

My 2 B to B  2021 cruises to/from Alaska were cancelled by HAL this week. It’s done. 

2 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

My 2 B to B  2021 cruises to/from Alaska were cancelled by HAL this week. It’s done. 

No question the cruises arriving/departing in Vancouver are out.  I actually agree with Canada's position on those; they are enough slower on vaccination that having large groups flying in and out for cruises has significant risk this year.  Seattle (or Seward) departures for R/T trips could be more feasible, though still unlikely this summer.