Vaccine

ssdot

I am completely in agreement plus WS could get rid of that ridiculous of mandate their excursions only or no going off ship! I am of the belief no vaccine, no plane, no train, no ship and I have read that the EU and I know Canada are thinking no vaccine no visit. I am with them 100%. Let's hope we are can get sailing again. 

• Like 1

This will work if they have a 100% vaccination rule. Otherwise anyone, even those vaccinated, can still take the virus back on board with them and infect anyone not vaccinated. A vaccine only protects you from infection, but you can still carry the virus and still infect others.  This is one reason that we'll all be wearing masks for a very long time, vaccinated or not. Transmission remains a huge issue,

• Like 3

As O2B@Cagain says it's all speculation. Still unknown as far as how the vaccine is going to protect, how long, how much of a problem variants may be, and so on. Data is still being collected and conclusions made and revised. Who knows, maybe by September we'll need another round of updated vaccine, and another 6 month time frame to get the world vaccinated. It's mind blowing stuff. I'm hoping for cruising to resume very late 2021- maybe.

Sure do agree with you Milepig, masks will be with us a long time.

• Like 2

FYI this am, cruise lines mandating vaccines: Saga, Royal Carib, Crystal, American Hornblower, American Steam Boat Company, Norwegian, Regent,2 Carnival and Holland America are thinking about it, 2 other I think American River Cruises whose names I forgot. I hope soon WS will add its name to the list. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

@Petoonyathats great news! I had the Moderna.  I had a sore arm and some fatigue after the 2nd shot  but no implant probes that I am aware of! 

I have a hunch that this will become a yearly  shot much like the flu shot. And we will probably need a booster for the variants before year end.

21 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I'm singing tonight! Finally, appt for first vaccine next Thursday!

I'm getting the Moderna vaccine which my crazy, but highly educated neighbor believes is going to implant probes in me, hee hee.

Along with our county health department running three large shot clinics, a couple of our local chain pharmacies are also doing daily (by appointment) shot clinics. Got shot 1 (Maderna vaccine), two weeks ago at CVS.  Only a sore arm for about a day.  I did not notice any implanted probes, but I now hear the weekly CVS radio ad in my head, every night as I fall asleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine that are primarily objectionable to many antivaxxers. They act a little differently than other vaccines that use attenuated virus to cause an immune reaction. Pfizer's and Moderna's act by allowing mRNA (messenger RNA or the "nanobots" or "probes") to enter cells and cause an immune response.

Apologies to scientists here if I've stated this poorly or inaccurately.

Some anti-vaxxers believe that mRNA alters genes and causes death.

I mocked them but these beliefs are actually a grave threat to public health.

Agree with the OP- hope WS requires the vaccine for crew and passengers. And if we need a booster later, bring it on.

Petoonya, what can you do about your dopey neighbor, nothing I suggest. The person is a perfect example of “highly educated” as you describe not resulting in any measurable degree of intelligence. That would indicate some intellectual curiosity which would lead them to real  knowledge about in this case, the vaccine. 
Let me guess, I’m sure this individual also considers COVID a hoax, that 500,000 Americans didn’t  really die from the disease, doesn’t wear a mask or social distance, and probably knows more about Qanon than the average person. 
As they say, “no cure for stupid”

You got it Barrycat. Qanon.

But the lady has a PhD in physics, is a world traveler, partial to Crystal and has a sly sense of humor.

A shock that someone so worldly believes nanoparticles with chips would be intentionally injected by the government, but my husband tells me I should have anticipated.

To Barrycat and Petoonya, The example Petoonya of the Phd. Physics is precisely why I have been strongly advocating for no vaccine, no go on trains, planes, ships, and for borders to remain closed for those people. Their craziness, selfishness, or their choosing ignorance has to have consequences. This vaccine is a collective effort world wide to try to rid the world of this horrid virus. I certainly do not want to be  anywhere or on anything with these people.  Barrycat you said it right " no cure for stupid". I firmly believe that simply because you have a Phd. after your name does not automatically mean you are educated. Education is a life time of opening up your mind and seeking knowledge, a self betterment, an understanding of humankind and compassion, education is the act of curiosity and fulfilling that curiosity. Education is reaching out to others. Happy Safe Sailing to us all. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2021 at 9:38 AM, milepig said:

This will work if they have a 100% vaccination rule. Otherwise anyone, even those vaccinated, can still take the virus back on board with them and infect anyone not vaccinated. A vaccine only protects you from infection, but you can still carry the virus and still infect others.  This is one reason that we'll all be wearing masks for a very long time, vaccinated or not. Transmission remains a huge issue,

That's not accurate. Most vaccine trials to date only monitored for whether participants got symptomatic infections so it's unknown whether the vaccinated can still be carriers and infect others. It may prevent transmission but it's not been confirmed either way. One trial did check a small sample of participants and the results said they didn't become asymptomatic carriers, but the sample size was too small to be definitive. 

• Like 1

Actually, no vaccine is considered 100% effective so that small 5% can still get infected and then transmit it to others. They probably will not get seriously sick but they can be infected. There are so many unknowns which is why we will have to be careful for a longer time.

• Like 1

Thank you Barrycat for you kind words, perhaps someday we will be on the same cruise. We are hoping for 9/28 Rome, Sicily, Malta, 2 nd try, again 12/18 St Martin with my 2 sisters and husbands also WS fans.Perhaps April 22 the Lisbon Canary Islands. Frankly want to go wild, not traveling is getting me down. We simply love being on the ocean.I truly hope WS is brave and confident enough to mandate vaccines on future cruises by doing that getting rid of that ridiculous mandate of their excursions only. 

To us all Happy and Safe Sailing. 

• Like 1

@SailingSteve77 Sorry about your friend.

I'm retired from the health profession and it's appalling to see the number of my former colleagues who are refusing the vax. There's no reasonable, rational argument to be made. The risk that they pose to unknowing patients is unconscionable. They should be made to wear a tattoo on the forehead "I DID NOT GET THE VACCINE."

• Like 3

SailingSteve77: Thank you , you gave me an idea. I will ask my medical professionals, no vaccine no me. I will spread the word. Makes me wonder what kind of a surgeon he is. I am very compassionate, extremely tolerant, nonjudgmental,  have an abundance of patience   but when it comes to these people with this vaccine non of the above. My mantra no vaccine no go to or on anything. I simple can not wait to get on a WS and be safe and for the ship to take me to my dreams. Happy Sailing

• Like 5

On 3/7/2021 at 5:36 AM, Strenz said:

I simple can not wait to get on a WS and be safe and for the ship to take me to my dreams. Happy Sailing

Beautiful post. I agree with Barrycat- you would make a wonderful dinner companion as would all posters on the WS board who've happily received the vaccine. The other thing I notice about you Strenz, is that you are full of wonder 🙂

We're just a nice bunch of people here.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1