Azamara extends no sail suspension until June 30th 2021

upwarduk

I agree but Marinaro post highlights the problem. If one person vaccinated or not tests positive how will the cruise line and the port authorities react. We have to get to the point where vaccinated people are accepted as being low risk just as they are with flu. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Each state makes their own rules and even then, vaccination sites either follow them or not.  In our 4 trips for vaccinations here in NC, saw lots of FL and SC tags and yesterday, as far away as OH.  Some may own property here but they are not residents. 

Here in Vermont, you have to be a full time resident, or work in the state, or get your medical care here.

Betsey

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, uktog said:

We have to get to the point where vaccinated people are accepted as being low risk just as they are with flu. 

Agreed ... I am not an MD but I do know that the chance of a false positive test increases after a recent vaccination.

• Like 1

I guess it’s only a matter of time before Azamara will have to announce their “when, where and how”  to cruise resumption.  It’s clear from those lines already declared, that we can’t assume it’ll be a “one size fits all” .

Regards

On 3/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, GlobalMethod said:

Agreed ... I am not an MD but I do know that the chance of a false positive test increases after a recent vaccination.

That’s bad news, but makes a certain amount of sense. I am also worried about efficacy of the vaccine over time. My next cruise is scheduled 7-1/2 months after full vaccination and right now they won’t claim immunity beyond 6-8 months.

Betsey

14 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That’s bad news, but makes a certain amount of sense. I am also worried about efficacy of the vaccine over time. My next cruise is scheduled 7-1/2 months after full vaccination and right now they won’t claim immunity beyond 6-8 months.

Betsey

In the UK we are being told that there is likely to be an annual COVID vaccine (possibly included with the annual flu vaccine) starting this autumn.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:43 AM, ellbon said:

I am wintering in a hotel in Mexico. I am going to FL to get the vaccine as I thought it would be easier than Asheville. Are you saying it is getting easier  now to get the vaccine. Having to go back to FL for three days is a pain.

Florida cut off vaccine tourism in January. To get vaccinated, you have to show either a FL drivers License, voter ID or two specific documents proving residency in FL, even if just seasonal. Here is a link where you can find requirements: https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/vaccine-eligibility/

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 12:36 AM, avw said:

Florida cut off vaccine tourism in January. To get vaccinated, you have to show either a FL drivers License, voter ID or two specific documents proving residency in FL, even if just seasonal. Here is a link where you can find requirements: https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/vaccine-eligibility/

Could be why so many Floridians were here in NC getting vaccinated.

hey sailing for along time will be a crap shoot.  my concern is with the new Azamara, since it is a private company, is how well capitalized are they? will they be using payments made in full for cruises that were cancelled for daily expenses?  how difficult will it be to get full refunds for cancelled cruises? Although, the sale was completed last week, they still had almost three months to put together information about their plans for the future.  If they want to hold on to current reservations and attract more reservations they have to be more proactive with their plans.  I have been involved in a number of company transitions like this and there was always a playbook of announcements for day1 to assure ALL parties involved.         

53 minutes ago, eggcream3 said:

hey sailing for along time will be a crap shoot.  my concern is with the new Azamara, since it is a private company, is how well capitalized are they? will they be using payments made in full for cruises that were cancelled for daily expenses?  how difficult will it be to get full refunds for cancelled cruises? Although, the sale was completed last week, they still had almost three months to put together information about their plans for the future.  If they want to hold on to current reservations and attract more reservations they have to be more proactive with their plans.  I have been involved in a number of company transitions like this and there was always a playbook of announcements for day1 to assure ALL parties involved.         

I think the announcement of a new ship is quite a big entry in the playbook.  

Why would it be any more difficult to get refunds now?  The equity house might even have better access to liquid funds than the RCI pot which has been well hammered this last year.  The degree of difficulty in getting refunds is driven by the behaviour of travel agents more than the cruise line I have found.

I remain optimistic and of course as always pay for bookings via my credit card so I have payment protection.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, eggcream3 said:

this equity house has a history of highly leveraging companies and then putting them out of business

Ok we are not going to agree on this purchase - lets speak again in three years time

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, eggcream3 said:

this equity house has a history of highly leveraging companies and then putting them out of business

That is not exactly the case.

They have acquired a number of corporations but not of putting lots of them "out of business."

Sycamore Partners history on Wikipedia (which I know is self edited).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eggcream3 said:

I’m sorry to hear of your concerns.  How many cruises have you with Azamara that you are worried about getting refunds for?

Regards

Edited by royallondon
  • Like 1

I see the CDC have pushed their no sail order in the USA out to 1 November.  I wonder how that will affect Azamara's appetite for a limited restart.  I can see elsewhere a lot of transatlantic have been taken off sail

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I see the CDC have pushed their no sail order in the USA out to 1 November.  I wonder how that will affect Azamara's appetite for a limited restart.  I can see elsewhere a lot of transatlantic have been taken off sail

We have a 2020 postponed cruise from LA rescheduled for Sept, I can’t see it happening (and don’t won’t it to in honesty) with the CDC reiterating their position.  The Covid situation changes so quickly (take the Isle of Man) despite the magnificent vaccine rollout.

Despite being a year into the pandemic, the future for cruising appears as uncertain as ever.  Whilst I appreciate other cruise lines are dipping their toes into the water with “scenic cruising”, full scale resumption with air travel, ports reopening and onboard protocols being agreeable to the majority, appears to be a long way off (2022?).  

For Azamara, I would be certain that they are in a better financial place then the picture eggcream3 paints. Accordingly, I hope they have the time to see how successful (health and protocol wise) the early cruises are before setting out their own blueprint for limited resumption.  

• Like 3

I have just received this

Royal Caribbean Cruises have today announced that they will be offering Summer 2021 cruises departing from Cyprus on board Jewel of the Seas.

These 7-night cruises will give guests the chance to explore the Greek Islands on board one of their Radiance class of ships. Filled with unforgettable on-board experiences but small enough to allow access to ports including Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes.

Starting from 10th July and running until 23rd October 2021, these cruises will be offered on a fly cruise basis with flights from multiple airports across the UK. Adult guests will be required to have had two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, with children needing a negative Covid test before boarding giving families the chance to get away together!

On sale from the 7th April but you can advance register with us today to secure your place on board. We know these cruises will sell fast! Advance Register Today.
We’re here to help you plan your holiday, we’re Royal Caribbean experts with over 11 years experience and the security of being part of the world’s largest cruise retailer.

for your info we have taken 15 cruises on Azamara had to cancel two because of the pandemic and we have three scheduled for next year. No problem getting back deposits, however keep in mind this is when Royal owned Azamara.  

2 hours ago, Charlies Aunt said:

Royal Caribbean Cruises have today announced that they will be offering Summer 2021 cruises departing from Cyprus on board Jewel of the Seas.

These 7-night cruises will give guests the chance to explore the Greek Islands on board one of their Radiance class of ships. Filled with unforgettable on-board experiences but small enough to allow access to ports including Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes.

Starting from 10th July and running until 23rd October 2021, these cruises will be offered on a fly cruise basis with flights from multiple airports across the UK. Adult guests will be required to have had two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, with children needing a negative Covid test before boarding giving families the chance to get away together!

On sale from the 7th April but you can advance register with us today to secure your place on board. We know these cruises will sell fast! Advance Register Today.
We’re here to help you plan your holiday, we’re Royal Caribbean experts with over 11 years experience and the security of being part of the world’s largest cruise retailer.

It sounds promising but will depend on whether we are permitted to travel then.  If not, travel insurance is invalid and fines are hefty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, welwyngirl said:

It sounds promising but will depend on whether we are permitted to travel then.  If not, travel insurance is invalid and fines are hefty.

I just had an email from the provider of our annual policy - a very reputable and fair UK company - and included in the information was a reminder that any holiday booked at present would not automatically be insured given the current prohibitions and that I would need to call them to discuss any booking I intended to make whilst the UK government travel restrictions were in place.  So absolute evidence that travel insurance may be invalid.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Charlies Aunt said:

Celebrity have also announced that Apex will depart from Athens on 7 night itineraries. I'm due on Apex in October for a transatlantic Barcelona to Miami, but for some time now I don't see that happening and more's the point don't want to be on the ship anyway with the unknowns of life onboard. 

Phil 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Celebrity have also announced that Apex will depart from Athens on 7 night itineraries. I'm due on Apex in October for a transatlantic Barcelona to Miami, but for some time now I don't see that happening and more's the point don't want to be on the ship anyway with the unknowns of life onboard. 

Phil 

Cruise may happen but maybe not Miami; maybe Cozumel?

2 hours ago, laurieb said:

Cruise may happen but maybe not Miami; maybe Cozumel?

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) they pulled the cruise yesterday. I do feel RCG are being very hopeful with their new Greek itineraries. There are still lots of unknowns and there won't be any British onboard if they follow our government advice not to travel. 

We are all keen to get back to cruising, but it needs to be an enjoyable experience. This will take a time to achieve I feel and both Pursuit and Journey will need to go into dry dock

before they start. Another unknown on time. 

Phil 

• Like 2