Adults only, at least for a while?

cruisestitch

24 minutes ago, donna1009 said:

Oh,I would not be comfortable for anyone to be on board without a vaccine.  Children can transmit it and they also are less able to be socially distant.  Hopefully soon the vaccines are available to children so they can partake in these non-essential activities.    I wonder how one will prove that they had the vaccine?  Maybe something official on your passport?  What a mess

33 minutes ago, donna1009 said:

Oh,I would not be comfortable for anyone to be on board without a vaccine.  Children can transmit it and they also are less able to be socially distant.  Hopefully soon the vaccines are available to children so they can partake in these non-essential activities.    I wonder how one will prove that they had the vaccine?  Maybe something official on your passport?  What a mess

I was given a CDC vaccination card yesterday with date of first vaccination. 

If you are on a X cruise around christmas, you'll see a lot of kids.  and remember the kids sail free program.  The alaska X cruise I was on had more kids the normal for X also.   Ya, when you get your second dose they give you a card to prove you got, the shot.

Edited by rmalbers

I have also had both my Pfizer shots and have tucked the CDC card safely into my passport just waiting for the day when I can use that passport again. My next booked cruise is to Iceland and Greenland this August on the Summit but I am expecting that one to be canceled. 

It would be foolish for Celebrity to restrict a growing part of their market which would be older parents who had kids late in life.  Usually these families have plenty of disposable income and may take higher revenue generating suites.  Additionally, some families try to avoid the excessive drinking activities that may be found on "family oriented" lines with the exception of Disney.  This would be discriminatory if it weren't for the fact that the CDC or some other government agency will likely set guidelines to allow safe cruising, including the possible generation of "vaccine passports".  To those of you here who prefer to have child-free cruises, please realize that some of us parents are acutely aware of the occasional imposition that child behavior may make on fellow passengers and we will do everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen.  As working parents, I believe we are entitled to rest and relaxation too!!  As mentioned above, we hope that Covid will be controlled enough to cruise safely so that these restrictive measures won't be needed.  That would be a win win situation for all.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, docsneeze said:

It would be foolish for Celebrity to restrict a growing part of their market which would be older parents who had kids late in life.  Usually these families have plenty of disposable income and may take higher revenue generating suites.  Additionally, some families try to avoid the excessive drinking activities that may be found on "family oriented" lines with the exception of Disney.  This would be discriminatory if it weren't for the fact that the CDC or some other government agency will likely set guidelines to allow safe cruising, including the possible generation of "vaccine passports".  To those of you here who prefer to have child-free cruises, please realize that some of us parents are acutely aware of the occasional imposition that child behavior may make on fellow passengers and we will do everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen.  As working parents, I believe we are entitled to rest and relaxation too!!  As mentioned above, we hope that Covid will be controlled enough to cruise safely so that these restrictive measures won't be needed.  That would be a win win situation for all.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a 'kid ban' would be permanent, rather it may be an incremental step in the restart process. But it is true that for a line like Celebrity, kids are definitely not represented in significant numbers and restricting kids for even a short time would not have a large impact. 

I can't say that I agree on the 'discriminatory' issue since there are many places, resorts, cruises lines (Saga, some P&O ships, Virgin), etc. that impose minimum age limits that are well within the law.

Edited by Jeremiah1212

Remember the requirement for everyone to be vaccinated could also come from the destination ports.

Cruise lines would have no choice but to require everyone to be vaccinated.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a 'kid ban' would be permanent, rather it may be an incremental step in the restart process. But it is true that for a line like Celebrity, kids are definitely not represented in significant numbers and restricting kids for even a short time would not have a large impact. 

I can't say that I agree on the 'discriminatory' issue since there are many places, resorts, cruises lines (Saga, some P&O ships, Virgin), etc. that impose minimum age limits that are well within the law.

It's not a "kid ban" at all, it's an "unvaccinated person ban" no matter what the age.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, docsneeze said:

I was a working parent for many, many years and the mother of three children.  This is not about your being entitled to rest and relaxation.  It also has nothing to do with discrimination if it is based on the safety of your fellow passengers.  It has nothing to do with whether we do or do not desire a childfree cruise (for the record, we sailed with our younger son on Celebrity more than 15 times).  If vaccinations are required for all (which I hope they are!) this is about saving lives, period.  Are you seriously suggesting your right to relax is more important than my right not to catch a fatal illness on a cruise ship?  I'm sure that's not what you meant, and yet when you read over what you said, that is basically what you are saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

It's not a "kid ban" at all, it's an "unvaccinated person ban" no matter what the age.

Exactly.  Unfortunately based on what they are doing with the RCI cruise out of Israel children may be allowed to cruise unvaccinated.  Insane!

21 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Just read where J and J has plans to extend the vaccine trials down to infants, not sure how long this will take, or even that it is reasonable.

That might be their plan.  But there will need to be a lot of vaccine safety data accumulated in adolescents and then younger kids before they are allowed to start trials in infants.  This will all be very carefully controlled and methodical (as it should be IMO).  Kids and infants are not high risk groups per se and the risk/benefit ratio is much different.

55 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

That might be their plan.  But there will need to be a lot of vaccine safety data accumulated in adolescents and then younger kids before they are allowed to start trials in infants.  This will all be very carefully controlled and methodical (as it should be IMO).  Kids and infants are not high risk groups per se and the risk/benefit ratio is much different.

Until we have significant numbers of infants born from immune mothers, I don't know how we even understand maternal passed immunity to understand interference and timing of infant vaccinations. 

And the demonstrated benefit of the vaccines so far is to the recipient, hence the risk/benefit ration is extremely important.

To Phoenix_dream and others, I believe you misunderstand my comments.  As a physician, safety must come first and I agree that the ban should be reworded as unvaccinated which would include children at this time.  Secondly, I commend your ability to include your children on your cruise vacations over the years.  In that respect, I am advocating for parents such as yourself who should be able to take their children on a cruise and also enjoy some R & R.  Unfortunately, there are others who feel children are burdensome and I feel sorry for them.  We do not plan to travel with our child until 2022 for the above reasons but the pediatric studies are ongoing and should be able to get most schoolchildren vaccinated by the Fall of 2021, if they want it or if it becomes mandatory for school attendance which has been politicized and I won't get involved in that.  By the way, they have finished recruitment down to 12 for one company and about to enroll for 5 y/o and above in other clinical trials.  Very hopeful for safer Fall 2021.

I believe at one time celebrity had some adult only cruises,  One of my favorite cruises was 20 years ago European cruise on Renaissance which was adults only and also non smoking. Just got my second Pfizer shot this morning.

Actually studies for down to 12 will be finished by June ready for review with 2 months safety data and younger groups might be done by August or September.  We do clinical trials and much will depend on where recruitment comes from which will be likely international and makes it much faster to enroll subjects.  Remember, all of these vaccines operate on emergency use authorization EUA and are not really officially approved for widespread use but on a situational basis.

3 minutes ago, George C said:

I believe at one time celebrity had some adult only cruises,  One of my favorite cruises was 20 years ago European cruise on Renaissance which was adults only and also non smoking. Just got my second Pfizer shot this morning.

Not the issue, Royal is not saying either way anything about kids under 16.   Since the ship is basically a floating amusement park, don't see anyway they won't have kids.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Not the issue, Royal is not saying either way anything about kids under 16.   Since the ship is basically a floating amusement park, don't see anyway they won't have kids.  

Somewhat agree the older rccl ships are not really built for children, such as Brilliance but ships like Oasis are definitely built for children ( of all ages)

2 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

But only adults that act like adults. With the new AI that may  be unrealistic.

Agree. The kids learn it from their parents and so on and so on. IMO, rude, obnoxious and inconsiderate isn't always alcohol related. I don't believe the AI CBP or PBP  is going to cause anymore issues with those that over indulge than it has in the past. Those that over indulge, BPs or not always have and always will. No biggie, that magic card pays for it. 

Edited by davekathy