Anthem UK cruises in the summer?

Guest BigRoger

Yep we spotted it too on travel weekly news site..... that's massively raising the stakes now for RC and X.... hopefully it will spur some action and we can have real choice of sailings and cruise lines for the summer...

MSC Cruises’ new flagship MSC Virtuosa is to make its debut running UK coastal sailings.

The new vessel, capable of carrying more than 6,000 passengers in normal circumstances, is being deployed to replace MSC Magnifica on the series of summer departures from Southampton from May 20.

Lead in prices.

It’s £499 for four nights with one stop in Portland Dorset running six mini cruises.

Followed by £849 for seven nights with stops in Liverpool and Grenock

The prices include premium drinks packages and gratuities.

I would say that’s quite reasonable 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Lead in prices.

It’s £499 for four nights with one stop in Portland Dorset running six mini cruises.

Followed by £849 for seven nights with stops in Liverpool and Grenock

The prices include premium drinks packages and gratuities.

I would say that’s quite reasonable 

Oooh! That’s a great move by MSC! 
Will RCG try and raise their game?
Will RCG even bother to enter the game? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by little britain
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mike.S said:

I would say that's a bargin for 7 nights, might be time to try a new cruise line

Yes a good deal and although we prefer RCG we’ve enjoyed our cruises with MSC.

If RCG doesn’t offer ( hopefully HOTS ) from Southampton in the next few days I think they’ll miss a big opportunity and we’ll be booking one of the MSC cruises.

Bookings open up April 1st.

My only reservation is that I would have been happier if they had made having the COVID-19 jab compulsory for all guests.

• Like 1

Think we'll probably book one of the 4 night MSC when they open. We've done Musica and Magnifica so it will be great to try a new, bigger ship. 

Has anyone done any research into insurance policies that will cover these cruises? We let our usual annual one lapse last year.

Edited by kernow
adding text

20 minutes ago, kernow said:

Think we'll probably book one of the 4 night MSC when they open. We've done Musica and Magnifica so it will be great to try a new, bigger ship. 

Has anyone done any research into insurance policies that will cover these cruises? We let our usual annual one lapse last year.

They say: guests must also ensure that they have organised COVID specific travel insurance prior to departure and bring proof of this to show at embarkation.

Just checked my insurance policy! It says “This policy does not cover any claim arising directly, or indirectly, from any coronavirus disease (including but not limited to COVID-19) or any related or mutated form of the virus, except from Section 4, Emergency Medical Expenses and Repatriation. This includes the fear or threat of catching coronavirus, and the advice, or action, of any government not to travel or preventing travel.”

I wonder if that’s enough..as covered for medical?

Edited by little britain

Celebrity Cruises has confirmed that it will operate cruises out of the UK this summer.

The staycations will be onboard Celebrity Silhouette, which has recently undergone an extensive renovation. The programme of six- to eight-night cruises will begin on July 3.

Jo Rzymowska, vice president and managing director EMEA, said: “We are excited to offer guests the chance to reconnect at sea with family and friends and to make up for all those missed celebrations. I cannot thank our UK travel partners enough for their unwavering support throughout this unprecedented time. We can’t wait to welcome our mutual guests onboard Celebrity Silhouette.”

Celebrity Silhouette will sail with all guests aged 18 and over vaccinated against Covid-19, and those
under the age of 18 with negative PCR test results.

The company is also giving away £20 of Celebrity Rewards for every staycation booked.

The announcement comes just days after Celebrity Cruises announced its Caribbean comeback with Celebrity Millennium departing from St. Maarten and Celebrity Apex departing from Greece, both in June.

Celebrity Cruises president and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo added: “We’re delighted to be returning to Southampton after over a year away. We are truly committed to the UK market and can’t wait to welcome guests back onboard. What could be better than a new luxury ship, ready to take guests on a journey around one of the world’s most beautiful and impressive coastlines? Not only is this extremely significant to us as a business but also to the local tourism industry.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Worth a go. Beautiful stylish ships. Don’t forget to do your status match before you book! 

I've always been curious about MSC - this would be a good time to try one of the 4 nighters.

I would be happier if they were sailing with all guests 18 and over vaccinated though. But we must assume they know what they are doing , as they have been sailing in the med throughout the pandemic.

RC better get their skates on - although now that celebrity have announced maybe that means RC are  close behind?

Guest BigRoger

Its a wow today due to X and MSC... we've been on Preziosa, Meraviglia and Grandiosa before and have always enjoyed them.. MSC experience is a bit 'different' (or was on those ships and it could be different again with solely a UK clientele/ audience..). I rashly said days ago if its Virutosa to DW we could have yacht club.... shes been checking cabins all morning.... RC need to pull this out of the bag with ideally Harmony and before Wednesday as the trigger is going to be pulled on Thursday no question....

Can someone explain what happens when royal cancels the cruise?

Do you still get L&S or 125% FCC? So if you have paid in full can you get extra credit?

Also does the UK get the price drop promise mentioned under CWC? So if i book 2022 with FCC and it drops in price for the cabin i choose will i get a refund on the difference or OBC?

I really dont want to be on Allure in 2022 but i might go on Odyssey to the greak isles instead but they will refuse L&S so FCC looks better but the pricing is insane with a cost of 200 quid a night for 7 days!

I'm on a few Royal Caribbean groups on the website we are not allowed to mention here and it is buzzing with the news about the MSC cruises.

I have only ever cruised with Royal but if I can get on one of the 4 night cruises then I will book if RCI aren't doing anything. It is much more appealing than a short P & O cruise and not having to have a vaccination is good for me as being under 50 (just 😀) I'm not going to get both for a few months.

Anybody know when they go on sale?

1 hour ago, dutchclogs said:

Celebrity Silhouette ex Southampton sailings are now showing sold out for June to August. This is consistent with unofficial reports of new 4 and 7 day cruises around UK.

Wow that was quick 

10 minutes ago, Tin can said:

I'm on a few Royal Caribbean groups on the website we are not allowed to mention here and it is buzzing with the news about the MSC cruises.

I have only ever cruised with Royal but if I can get on one of the 4 night cruises then I will book if RCI aren't doing anything. It is much more appealing than a short P & O cruise and not having to have a vaccination is good for me as being under 50 (just 😀) I'm not going to get both for a few months.

Anybody know when they go on sale?

1st April apparently. We've found them to be a good comparison to Royal, some things not as good but others a bit better. 

Guest BigRoger
22 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Can someone explain what happens when royal cancels the cruise?

Do you still get L&S or 125% FCC? So if you have paid in full can you get extra credit?

I really dont want to be on Allure in 2022 but i might go on Odyssey to the greak isles instead but they will refuse L&S so FCC looks better but the pricing is insane with a cost of 200 quid a night for 7 days!

L&S is offered on RC cancelled cruises but much more restrictive than the original policy... you are likely to be offered only 1 week either side of the cancelled sailing and for it to have to be the same basic itinerary or cruise, and ship if its doing the same route again. You won't get to change much from what you had....

125% FCC for cash paid is an option, other FCCs on the booking will be reinstated at 100%.

8 minutes ago, kernow said:

1st April apparently. We've found them to be a good comparison to Royal, some things not as good but others a bit better. 

Thanks for that, just found my MSC loyalty match email. I'm 'Black' apparently for being Diamond, not sure what you get but might get me a bit of a discount.

1 minute ago, BigRoger said:

L&S is offered on RC cancelled cruises but much more restrictive than the original policy... you are likely to be offered only 1 week either side of the cancelled sailing and for it to have to be the same basic itinerary or cruise, and ship if its doing the same route again. You won't get to change much from what you had....

125% FCC for cash paid is an option, other FCCs on the booking will be reinstated at 100%.

So if i cancel the cruise for FCC do i lose the 300 USD Free OBC i got with the booking also? 

I had a Balcony with 300 USD OBC which id like to keep given the new pricing but they wont let me L&S from Allure to Odyssey i think