Pandemic or Epidemic or Vaccine

roger001

1 hour ago, AKR2011 said:

Tennessee may be on the bottom end of the country with the percent fully vaccinated, but they have used 71% of their supply according to NPR Data:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Just curious, are there plenty of vaccines available and no one wants them, or are there just not enough appointments? Here in NY it seems impossible to get a vaccine. We're towards the bottom of this list too, but only because the demand is so high and there just aren't enough nurses and places to give them - especially if you don't live near one of the mass vaccination sites that does seem to have some available spaces through mid-April: https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/ I work in mental health, and it's been nearly impossible to get my clients vaccinated.

This.    I have had my first shot, however it was really hard to get the appt.   In our area the only place to receive it was the health dept.  The system to sign up was really confusing and hard for most seniors who dont use a computor to understand.  Now that they have added a few drugstores and walmart to receive a vaccine it may get much better.  I was speaking to a gentleman yesterday who told me that the phone number they gave to sign up was sending him and his wife over 150 miles to get it,  but there is appts here in our own county.    The stste of Tennessee need to get there act together,

Thank you all for having a respectful conversation about this. 

If I can add something about vaccines.  There isn't an approved vaccine for children under 16 but they can carry the virus and pass it on to others.  Several of my son's middle school friends have gotten it and recovered.  Mandating a vaccine will cut off a large percentage of cruisers and the percentage of cruisers in the US isn't that big.  Only 15% of Americans have ever cruised.  Of that 15%, only 7 to 8% have cruised in the three years before 2020.  The cruise lines will have to offset the costs of cutting out families if you have to have a vaccine to cruise. 

At this point, every vaccine is approved for emergency use only.  There are no long term studies on side effects, etc.  I think the vaccine mandate is hard to have if it hasn't been studied long term.  I'm not saying don't get the vaccine.  I'm only mentioning some of the thoughts I have. 

I live in Tennessee.  I haven't gotten the vaccine.  I'm not getting a vaccine until there's a vaccine approved for my kids and then we'll decide what to do.  In the meantime, we follow the rules of distancing and masks and I'll keep pushing our booked cruises further out.  Having said that, my kids have been in school full time in person 5 days a week since August 24, 2020.  My high school son played football and spectators were allowed.  Our restaurants and stores and gyms have been open since last July.  In my area, at least, we've managed to find a balance.  There is always the possibility of herd immunity. 

Thanks again for the respectful conversation.  We may all have different opinions.  We should feel ok expressing them without nasty words. 

Host CMLA

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is a CDC  chart which in itself is meaningless.  I don't have the time period it covers.  But, what it does show is how much more susceptible the older folks (me) are to seeing this Covid thing as a very serious issue, compared to the younger population.  In this chart, whatever it represents, in addition to deaths by age group, is that we far, far outscored the younger folks.  And now consider this when comparing.  The 65+ age group in the US are only 13% of the total population.     Our small 13% had, rounding off the numbers, 244,000 deaths compared to the remaining 87% of the US population who only scored a piddly 27,000 deaths.  Since we have now had over 500K die from Covid issues, this chart is obviously older by some months.  But it shows the whole point here, if you're old you had better be damn scared of Covid.  So we each have our personal concerns and expected requirements as we move forward to maybe cruising again someday.  Not being argumentative, not giving opinions.  Just showing what it is.....assuming CDC data  and the US census population count are somewhere near accurate.    I'm not trying to score a grant....so for this data....take it or leave it.   Oh yea.  This also assumes I did the math correctly.   

1365171284_Screenshot(170).png.fc420c72591783f373134d1d7a3df1f0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, roger001 said:

This is a CDC  chart which in itself is meaningless.  I don't have the time period it covers.  But, what it does show is how much more susceptible the older folks (me) are to seeing this Covid thing as a very serious issue, compared to the younger population.  In this chart, whatever it represents, in addition to deaths by age group, is that we far, far outscored the younger folks.  And now consider this when comparing.  The 65+ age group in the US are only 13% of the total population.     Our small 13% had, rounding off the numbers, 244,000 deaths compared to the remaining 87% of the US population who only scored a piddly 27,000 deaths.  Since we have now had over 500K die from Covid issues, this chart is obviously older by some months.  But it shows the whole point here, if you're old you had better be damn scared of Covid.  So we each have our personal concerns and expected requirements as we move forward to maybe cruising again someday.  Not being argumentative, not giving opinions.  Just showing what it is.....assuming CDC data  and the US census population count are somewhere near accurate.    I'm not trying to score a grant....so for this data....take it or leave it.   Oh yea.  This also assumes I did the math correctly.   

1365171284_Screenshot(170).png.fc420c72591783f373134d1d7a3df1f0.png

My father is 81, his ladyfriend, as I like to call her, is in her 70s. She had Covid and spent time in the hospital; he did not.

I 100% agree with you that the elderly are at greater risk, no doubt about that. Part of what complicates things when we discuss this issue on here is the danger of interpreting our isolated incidents as being representative of everyone. So not everyone in your age group is, or should be, as you say, "damn scared" of Covid. I think it's too individual to make blanket statements like that.

Collectively, as that age group, we just don't know which one of us will be the one singled out for the  hospital and which ones will get to skate like your Dad did.  So in absence of knowing, yea, we all need to fear it.  The gun is loaded but only one bullet in it.  Only one of us will be shot when it is fired.  But, I'm still goin to be damn scared of that gun.  No other way to look at it....in our older age group.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roger001 said:

No other way to look at it....in our older age group.

That's exactly my point: there are ALWAYS other ways to look at it. You don't get to decide what's right for everyone else. And neither do I.

Agree to disagree. Best of luck to you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jetact said:

The thing is the recovery rate is what 99.8% so not everyone is dying. I have had covid and in fact just got back from getting my first dose. Not a big deal really. I have a cruise scheduled in January and plan on going. 

Not dieing is not the same as recovering.  Many survive covid but have long lasting effects to multiple organ systems.  Also,  please provide a link to the statistic you site because I believe that high number has been proven wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gizfish said:

Not dieing is not the same as recovering.  Many survive covid but have long lasting effects to multiple organ systems.  Also,  please provide a link to the statistic you site because I believe that high number has been proven wrong.

I have a 57 year old niece. Five months later she is still almost a bed ridden due to lung issues from COVID. You just don’t know how it will affect you. Extreme differences with persons that should be the same.  

A follow up on yesterday's Tennessee vaccine bad news, today's Tennessee news is good news.   It says (they say) in long term care facilities, 95% or the residents have now had the vaccine.  And....the rate of Covid infection in these facilities has now dropped by 90%.  It did say, although they conclude the vaccine has really been effective in achieving this good news, that the facilities themselves, by practicing all the protocols have have helped achieve some of this good news.  And the State is now allowing a big relaxation on the previous visitation and socializing restrictions within those facilities.  So, get everyone on the ships vaccinated and sounds like we could return to a ship cruising atmosphere like in the olden days.....you know...a year ago.  

• Like 2

Since we have already had the virus and recovered fully we do not plan to get the vaccine. Maybe one day once it is approved fully by the FDA and has a few years of safety data. I won't be cruising if a vaccine is required. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, av8rdawg said:

Since we have already had the virus and recovered fully we do not plan to get the vaccine. Maybe one day once it is approved fully by the FDA and has a few years of safety data. I won't be cruising if a vaccine is required. 

Sounds like a logical choice. They seem to know diddly squat about the immunity timeline with the vaccines...and of course, diddly squat about safety as well. I hope you're doing everything you can to keep your immune system functioning as best you can! The powers that be spend no time on that so you have to be your best advocate. 

Like Cyprus today, announced that people from the U.K. are welcome with no restrictions after May 1st 2021, upon having both vaccinations.

Simon Calder travel writer for the independent, quoted the U.K. was the worse place on earth six months ago, now Europe wants us desperately because of our fantastic vaccine program.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

Like Cyprus today, announced that people from the U.K. are welcome with no restrictions after May 1st 2021, upon having both vaccinations.

Simon Calder travel writer for the independent, quoted the U.K. was the worse place on earth six months ago, now Europe wants us desperately because of our fantastic vaccine program.

Sorry, another poster (on different cruiseline) and relatives/friends of ours in the UK have had their first vaccine a while ago and their next one (second) isn't due until MAY. According to the UK bigwigs the 11-12 weeks between jabs is the norm .... so I wouldn't say that your vaccine program isn't so fantastic, sorry.

Pfizer say it should be 3 weeks between doses, and the 11-12 weeks is very stretching. 

Here in Bermuda the covid vaccines are Pfizer and they are flown in from the UK on the weekly BA flights (every Thursday). Our Gov't's Dept of Health has created a system/database so we individuals can register if we want to have the vaccine. Once entered (it needs your name, DOB, gender, whether essential worker or not (if essential, company name), phone, email. Then, when time comes, they will email/text/phone you with an appointment (with 2-3 days' notice) and venue. Very efficient! And while you are at the venue being vaccinated, they give you a card AND the next appointment date (exactly 3 weeks later, same time). Since we are in their database, they will prolly contact us to return for boosters when Pfizer develop new vaccines for new variants (think of this as your yearly flu shots).

My DH (65+) had his first one within 2 weeks of the first Pfizer's arrival and our DS (essential worker) had his a week and a half after his dad. I am in the next group or 2 (60+) and had my first one last week. DH and DS already have had their 2nd dose.

Our UK relatives/friends have told us they do NOT have an appointment for their 2nd jab. SMH. One friend said it's really mad over there.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Sorry, another poster (on different cruiseline) and relatives/friends of ours in the UK have had their first vaccine a while ago and their next one (second) isn't due until MAY. According to the UK bigwigs the 11-12 weeks between jabs is the norm .... so I wouldn't say that your vaccine program isn't so fantastic, sorry.

Pfizer say it should be 3 weeks between doses, and the 11-12 weeks is very stretching. 

Here in Bermuda the covid vaccines are Pfizer and they are flown in from the UK on the weekly BA flights (every Thursday). Our Gov't's Dept of Health has created a system/database so we individuals can register if we want to have the vaccine. Once entered (it needs your name, DOB, gender, whether essential worker or not (if essential, company name), phone, email. Then, when time comes, they will email/text/phone you with an appointment (with 2-3 days' notice) and venue. Very efficient! And while you are at the venue being vaccinated, they give you a card AND the next appointment date (exactly 3 weeks later, same time). Since we are in their database, they will prolly contact us to return for boosters when Pfizer develop new vaccines for new variants (think of this as your yearly flu shots).

My DH (65+) had his first one within 2 weeks of the first Pfizer's arrival and our DS (essential worker) had his a week and a half after his dad. I am in the next group or 2 (60+) and had my first one last week. DH and DS already have had their 2nd dose.

Our UK relatives/friends have told us they do NOT have an appointment for their 2nd jab. SMH.

Well here in the heart of the Midlands overlooking the malvern hills, my parents have now had both, I had my first 09/01/2021 and my second is booked for April.

We are well ahead of the game, and come May 17th will be welcomed everywhere in Europe...

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Our UK relatives/friends have told us they do NOT have an appointment for their 2nd jab. SMH. One friend said it's really mad over there.

I believe the UK's decision to delay the 2nd dose was based on concerns about a potentially more contagious variant, which perhaps hasn't made it (thankfully) to Bermuda yet. The article below addresses that. It seems that, but for the new strain of Covid, Britain would have stuck to the 3 week 2nd dose, as planned.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/91056

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I believe the UK's decision to delay the 2nd dose was based on concerns about a potentially more contagious variant, which perhaps hasn't made it (thankfully) to Bermuda yet. The article below addresses that. It seems that, but for the new strain of Covid, Britain would have stuck to the 3 week 2nd dose, as planned.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/91056

No, the reason the UK is not following the recommended dosing schedule is to get more first shots into arms.  Their rational was that early studies show a good immune response to one shot and that means its okay to ignore the recommendations of the pharma companies and use shots that are supposed to be reserved as second doses for first doses.  While a single shot of Moderna or Pfizer may give acceptable antibody levels, there is no data indicating how long they will last and if not completing the studied dose schedule may cause other problems (eg how not completing a full dose schedule of antibiotics causes increases in resistant "bugs.")

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Trimone said:

We in the U.K. are already booking a third shot for the venerable with concerns about other variants.

Wouldn't booking a third shot be just as careless as stretching out the first two without recommendation from the Pharma companies?  It seems odd that the governments think they know best here.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone should be forced to get the vaccine but the sad thing is those who refuse still put the ones that have been vaccinated at risk because of the mutations that most likely will continue to happen. It could change to something benign but it could also mutate into something that the vaccines would be worthless on. I give up on the population of this world. Too many countries it seems have gone mad.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, winterbliss said:

Sounds like a logical choice. They seem to know diddly squat about the immunity timeline with the vaccines...and of course, diddly squat about safety as well. I hope you're doing everything you can to keep your immune system functioning as best you can! The powers that be spend no time on that so you have to be your best advocate. 

I know some one who was in the clinical trial for Pfizer and was in the group that received the vaccine. They are now studying if a booster dose is needed, I really really hope that boosters aren’t needed or if they are it is every 5 years or something. The second shot (moderna) made me super sick, but still better than when I maybe had covid (it was before we were admitting it was spreading in the US and I couldn’t get tested even though I work in healthcare).