Pandemic or Epidemic or Vaccine

roger001

Today's vaccine progress news here in Tennessee is that many counties now have more vaccine on hand than demand.  In some of  the counties, fewer than 30% of the residents will accept the vaccination.  The medical thought is that in those counties the virus will never go lower than epidemic stage, like a flu season.  If our population continues to not get the vaccine's protection, then when will CDC or just the eventually lower numbers of infection reach the level to let cruising begin.  Of course, no answer to tis thought at this time.  Will just to wait and see.  But, my opinion is that with a large number of folks refusing the vaccine, then vaccination will necessarily be a must before boarding a cruise ship.  So my opinion, get your shots or don't plan on cruising.  Can't figure it any other way.   (It also said that Memphis last week ruined 2,500 and misplaced another 30,000 doses of the vaccine.  Check Ebay?).   Back to my coffee.........

• Like 2

Large numbers of people in the medical field and hospital workers are also refusing to take the shot. I have read it is as high as 35 percent. I wonder why?

Different legal groups are starting to push lawsuits banning a requirement to get vaccinated. I believe the Children's Defense Fund or something like that is one of them. They don't want it to be a requirement to attend school is what there issue is I believe.

The cruise lines themselves will not require it. It would be the CDC that makes it a requirement to enter the US if it happens at all.

People are starting to lose their confidence in politicians and the well known virus experts that show up on TV all the time. That isn't helping.

• Like 1

I will follow the advice of Doctors who have studied viruses and immunology over the BS I read on the Internet.  As far as cruising goes,  I think it would be absolute folly for the cruise lines not to require passengers to be immunized against Covid unless it were to morph into a virus that wasn't potentially fatal.  My two cents.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The cruise lines themselves will not require it. It would be the CDC that makes it a requirement to enter the US if it happens at all.

I think like the Odyssey of the Seas start up in Israel, it will be both the CDC and the cruise lines, in cooperation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/03/01/royal-caribbean-offer-fully-vaccinated-sailing-new-cruise-ship/6871142002/

I don't understand the "anti-vaxxers". The vaccines are safe & effective. Give me the shot(s) so I can get on with life again, even cruising.

• Like 11

This morning’s figures indicate that 7.1 percent of Tennessee residents have been fully vaccinated.  That’s below the national average.  Surely a good portion of the remaining 92.9 percent would like to avoid a particularly gruesome death or the frequent long-lasting effects of COVID-19 infection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FLAHAM said:

This morning’s figures indicate that 7.1 percent of Tennessee residents have been fully vaccinated.  That’s below the national average.  Surely a good portion of the remaining 92.9 percent would like to avoid a particularly gruesome death or the frequent long-lasting effects of COVID-19 infection.

You would think...but apparently not.  Dying alone in a hospital with a tube stuck down my throat....unable to talk even.....or a vacinne shot......let me see............

• Like 3

If this news is true Tennessee would be wise to open up vaccines to anyone who wants them over 18.  I would think there are a lot of folks who still do not have the vaccine there that want it based on the stages rules set up by most states.  If after all that they then only have 30% fully vaccinated, stop shipping shots to that state (from the CDC/government supplies) and we move forward.  

I think it is a no brainer that the cruise lines (remember cruising is not a mandatory thing) will require you to be vaccinated to enjoy them.  Seems like a simple ask, and they will still have plenty of demand based on the nation average of people saying they WILL get the vaccine.  BTW, that number is 75% of the country saying they will get it:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/03/1-in-4-americans-say-they-would-never-get-covid-vaccine-poll/

• Like 2

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021/03/02/eu-plans-to-boost-summer-travel-with-its-proposal-for-a-digital-vaccine-passport

The EU is planning to launch a vaccine passport, but it's very controversial in some quarters due to the possibility of unfair discrimination against those who can't or won't get it. It's all well and good to talk about travel being a luxury so "no vaccine, no cruise," but the truth is more complicated than that. Movement between countries is considered a basic human right, and I have a feeling that even a well-intentioned vaccine passport will face some legal challenges. (And I say this as someone who supports such a passport, BTW)

• Like 1

I am one who believes in mandatory vaccines to cruise. Another thought. Cruise lines are not US companies and would not be subject to US law other than the CDC guidelines for being able to cruise from US ports - or if they broke US laws while in port I guess. If they instituted a vaccine requirement what laws would they be subject to, those of the country that they are flagged in or all of the ports they stop in? What if some have mandatory vaccine requirements to enter and some say it's not legal.

New York has made vaccination mandatory for anyone attending any indoor events (i.e., hockey and basketball games at MSG, concerts).  Covid Passport

There are also many private organizations that are requiring the vaccine in order to participate in their activities.  See Vaccine Requirement section

I expect this will continue to snowball across so many things that people will either get vaccinated or will spend their lives living without any social activities. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

New York has made vaccination mandatory for anyone attending any indoor events (i.e., hockey and basketball games at MSG, concerts).  Covid Passport

There are also many private organizations that are requiring the vaccine in order to participate in their activities.  See Vaccine Requirement section

I expect this will continue to snowball across so many things that people will either get vaccinated or will spend their lives living without any social activities. 

Seems clear it is not a mandatory vaccine as the app checks for vaccine OR recent negative test result:

The plan is to test the “Excelsior Pass,” which will use secure technology to confirm if a person has gotten vaccinated or has had a recent negative COVID-19 exam result, during events at Madison Square Garden and Barclays Center, Cuomo said in a statement.

To be clear, I am pro-vaccine, but just wanted to point out that this is not a mandatory vaccine requirement in NY to enter these venues, you can also have a recent negative test.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roger001 said:

Today's vaccine progress news here in Tennessee is that many counties now have more vaccine on hand than demand.  In some of  the counties, fewer than 30% of the residents will accept the vaccination.  The medical thought is that in those counties the virus will never go lower than epidemic stage, like a flu season.  If our population continues to not get the vaccine's protection, then when will CDC or just the eventually lower numbers of infection reach the level to let cruising begin.  Of course, no answer to tis thought at this time.  Will just to wait and see.  But, my opinion is that with a large number of folks refusing the vaccine, then vaccination will necessarily be a must before boarding a cruise ship.  So my opinion, get your shots or don't plan on cruising.  Can't figure it any other way.   (It also said that Memphis last week ruined 2,500 and misplaced another 30,000 doses of the vaccine.  Check Ebay?).   Back to my coffee.........

Tennessee may be on the bottom end of the country with the percent fully vaccinated, but they have used 71% of their supply according to NPR Data:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Just curious, are there plenty of vaccines available and no one wants them, or are there just not enough appointments? Here in NY it seems impossible to get a vaccine. We're towards the bottom of this list too, but only because the demand is so high and there just aren't enough nurses and places to give them - especially if you don't live near one of the mass vaccination sites that does seem to have some available spaces through mid-April: https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/ I work in mental health, and it's been nearly impossible to get my clients vaccinated.

1 minute ago, AKR2011 said:

Tennessee may be on the bottom end of the country with the percent fully vaccinated, but they have used 71% of their supply according to NPR Data:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Just curious, are there plenty of vaccines available and no one wants them, or are there just not enough appointments? Here in NY it seems impossible to get a vaccine. We're towards the bottom of this list too, but only because the demand is so high and there just aren't enough nurses and places to give them - especially if you don't live near one of the mass vaccination sites that does seem to have some available spaces through mid-April: https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/ I work in mental health, and it's been nearly impossible to get my clients vaccinated.

Tennessee allocated based on population and total supply, I believe that's correct.  So these counties with population that just don't want the vaccine now have surplus.  The other counties, the bigger cities and communities have demand, just not the supply.   We do have pretty good shot distribution locations.  I'm guessing at today's revelations, the distribution will be adjusted to be more effective.  

12 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

New York is a train wreck for vaccinations.  I had to fly my 87-year-old mother, who has lived in NY (and paid high taxes) her whole life, to GA twice in three weeks in order to get her vaccinated.  No problem getting both her and I vaccinated in Savannah.  Literally a five minute wait when we went, and they had called me to get me scheduled.

• Like 4

I can tell you this, I won't be getting on any cruise ship that doesn't require passengers to prove they have been vaccinated.  I have heart disease, one of the underlying conditions Covid attacks.  According to the CDC, 40 percent of those diagnosed with Covid-19 that have one underlying health condition were hospitalized.

Nope, even though I have been vaccinated I don't want to get on a ship with those who haven't.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

You would think...but apparently not.  Dying alone in a hospital with a tube stuck down my throat....unable to talk even.....or a vacinne shot......let me see............

The thing is the recovery rate is what 99.8% so not everyone is dying. I have had covid and in fact just got back from getting my first dose. Not a big deal really. I have a cruise scheduled in January and plan on going. 

5 minutes ago, jetact said:

The thing is the recovery rate is what 99.8% so not everyone is dying. I have had covid and in fact just got back from getting my first dose. Not a big deal really. I have a cruise scheduled in January and plan on going. 

It's all about who you are and what age group.  For me, I have the concern specifically about myself and my wife.  In our age group, statistically if we get the virus, we then have about a 13 or 14% chance of dying them miserable death with it.  That only leaves 87% not dying.  Not good odds for us.  If I was 25, yea...wouldn't care at all.   

4 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

For people that don't want to get a vaccine, fine.  But get the pork out the way so I can get mine!

Same here!

I was finally able to get my grandparents an appointment today! Im so relieved! Now just into waiting for mine! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Different legal groups are starting to push lawsuits banning a requirement to get vaccinated. I believe the Children's Defense Fund or something like that is one of them. They don't want it to be a requirement to attend school is what there issue is I believe.

Perhaps  you meant 

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/

Very anti-vaccine group.  

16 minutes ago, roger001 said:

It's all about who you are and what age group.  For me, I have the concern specifically about myself and my wife.  In our age group, statistically if we get the virus, we then have about a 13 or 14% chance of dying them miserable death with it.  That only leaves 87% not dying.  Not good odds for us.  If I was 25, yea...wouldn't care at all.   

Yes thats true for the different age groups. I am 56 and wife 59 when we got covid. Other then her losing her sense of smell you would have never known she had it. I had no symptoms but tested positive after we found out we had it. I hope we can all get cruising

20 minutes ago, jetact said:

Yes thats true for the different age groups. I am 56 and wife 59 when we got covid. Other then her losing her sense of smell you would have never known she had it. I had no symptoms but tested positive after we found out we had it. I hope we can all get cruising

I've never seen a statistic showing 13-14% death rates, it would have to be a very small group of people. (I'm responding to the post to which you responded) The stats regularly reported by Johns Hopkins, WHO and Worldometers always show the highest death rate among the elderly with comorbidities, which is more in the range of 5% mortality. Outside of that, the survival rate is 99%.

I am 57 and my wife is 45, we both had Covid and experienced mild symptoms akin to a cold. We look forward to cruising again as soon as possible.

Edited by DCGuy64
added missing word
  • Like 2

All this age and underlying condition stuff is all well and good but it does not always follow that way, I have a friend at 51 who passed 5 days after being diagnosed and yet one of my customers a 95 year old lady with type 1 diabetes caught Covid in hospital after a fall and is right as rain.

I am 53 and partner is 43 I'm so thankful we both had our first Pfizer shots 2 weeks ago, neither of us had any doubts, it could not happen quick enough for us.

• Like 3