condition of Nautica

crusinbanjo

Mrs Banjo and I are considering a cruise in Dec 2022 on Nautica.  When doing some research it looks like the last refurb was in 2014.  can anybody comment on the condition of the ship and what she might look like in lat 2022?  Thanks 

This site:

Oceania Cruises Remodeling Every Stateroom on Their Four Cruise Ships (cruisefever.net)

indicates Nautica was scheduled for upgrade to OceaniaNext program in June of 2020.  I can't find any videos showing this upgrade.   We were  on Insignia in the fall of 2019 (post refit) and we really liked the upgrades.  One slight surprise was that the walls of the cabins are no longer magnetic.  We normally take small magnets with us to post things (lists, itinerary, menus, etc)  on the walls...can't do that in many places any more.

You can find videos of Sirena post renovation on the web and except for the Red Ginger should be very similar.

Greg

Edited by gdlamberth

34 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I are considering a cruise in Dec 2022 on Nautica.  When doing some research it looks like the last refurb was in 2014.  can anybody comment on the condition of the ship and what she might look like in lat 2022?  Thanks 

This has been commented on multiple times. Here are the current facts:

1.  The Nautica is the only R ship to not have received its refurbishments. It was scheduled for 2020 and delayed for cash flow purposes.

2. That refurbishment was rescheduled to this summer.

3. It has not been announced yet that rescheduled refurbishment will occur, again because of cash flow. We’ll know when she pulls into dry dock.

4. if it doesn’t happen this summer and sailing resumes, it’s unlikely she’ll go into dry dock anytime soon so to maintain cash flow coming in.

The Nautica has not been in US waters for years. CDC proclamation have no effect on her. She’ll sail as soon as scheduled host countries allow.

We are scheduled to be on her in November. We were last on her in August 2019. She does need a facelift, but we would take her as she was to sail again.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

We were on the last cruise aboard the Nautica, a 30-day cruise from Cape Town to Singapore, but it was diverted to Dubai where all passengers disembark.  At that time the ship was still in good shape.  My cabin, an inside, was in good shape.  It didn't look like she really needed a full refurbishment.  Oceania does a good job of maintaining their ships.  However, I'm not as detail-oriented as some of my fellow cruisers so take my opinion for what it's worth.  Even if they didn't refurbish the Nautica, I would still go on her with the right itinerary.  

• Like 2

I was on Sirena last year after renovations.  Everything looked great.  New furnishings in cabins were bright and comfortable. Cabins on R ships are small. Oceania does a good job using that space. However, the bathrooms are tiny.  Prefer Riviera or Marina which have spacious, luxurious bathrooms. Cabins are also much larger than R ships. Would only book on an R ship if the itinerary was an attraction.  I would like to see Oceania build more ships like Riviera to replace the old R ships.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, pinotlover said:

This has been commented on multiple times. Here are the current facts:

1.  The Nautica is the only R ship to not have received its refurbishments. It was scheduled for 2020 and delayed for cash flow purposes.

2. That refurbishment was rescheduled to this summer.

3. It has not been announced yet that rescheduled refurbishment will occur, again because of cash flow. We’ll know when she pulls into dry dock.

4. if it doesn’t happen this summer and sailing resumes, it’s unlikely she’ll go into dry dock anytime soon so to maintain cash flow coming in.

The Nautica has not been in US waters for years. CDC proclamation have no effect on her. She’ll sail as soon as scheduled host countries allow.

We are scheduled to be on her in November. We were last on her in August 2019. She does need a facelift, but we would take her as she was to sail again.

We were on Nautica’s most recent cruise in February/March 2020. The ship’s condition was fine - still better than most cruise ships anywhere. The NEXT remodel is primarily cosmetics/furnishings and has little to do with  the quality of food and service - Oceania’s hallmarks. Among our several 2022 bookings,  Nautica is in the mix.

I’d be more concerned about getting a booking. Among O’s most popular/interesting itineraries, 2022 is already filling up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

This is dated December of 2020.  Looks like she's been done?

https://www.ginholding.com/en/2020-12-15/works-on-ocean-cruises-nautica-vessel

The updates must have been prepaid before the Covid hit.  Interesting photos.  The drydock took out a section of cabins to access the engine room.  

3 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

The updates must have been prepaid before the Covid hit.  Interesting photos.  The drydock took out a section of cabins to access the engine room.  

Where did you see that?

I seem to remember one of Oceania’s senior VP’s confirming that the 2020 upgrades had been postponed. It was throughly covered in a thread here. If those upgrades had been prepaid it is highly unlikely a postponement would have been necessary . Therefore, I believe that theory is invalid.

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yeah- first I’ve heard of it. And, getting to the engine room (while it may require temporarily modifying cabin spaces) may have nothing to do with the NEXT makeover.

usually the engines are mid to aft in the ship  Deck 4 cabins are more forward   same as deck 3 cabins  so not sure  where they would remove cabins from

I see in the photos  there is  an opening below the waterline in the  hull which  could be where the engines are ??

I have not been to the engine rooms on the ships  LOL

Maybe the person  is seeing  the deck 5  railings were removed where the lifeboats  are   & think there were cabins there

Going from deck 5 down to deck 2 or 3 to the engine room would be the hard way 

JMO

• Haha 1

Quoted press releases does mention cabin refurbs and it is very likely the materials would have been ordered in bulk for all of the R's. New scrubbers may be a time sensitive environmental requirement. There may also have been some certification issues that dictated  how long they could delay the drydock.  It would be a larger cash flow issue if they had to take the ship out of service in the near future.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:13 AM, Kate-AHF said:

This is dated December of 2020.  Looks like she's been done?

https://www.ginholding.com/en/2020-12-15/works-on-ocean-cruises-nautica-vessel

I suggest that we take this conclusion with a grain of salt at this stage.  I recently posted this on another thread:

Most of us on this cruise will be hoping that the NEXT refurb of Nautica will be completed before we sail.

Yesterday I participated in an Oceania webinar launching the 2022-23 'Tropics and Exotics' collection.

I asked the following question - "When will the refurbishment of Nautica take place?"

The verbatim answer I received from the O rep was - "I was checking a few places for a date but all I can get is this year, again no official date yet."

In addition, the following is an extract from a review of all scheduled cruise ship refurbs on CruiseCritic:

Ship: Nautica

Dates: On Hold
Details: The final chapter in the line's OceaniaNEXT refurbishment schedule, Oceania's Nautica will be fully re-imagined by Miami-based Studio DADO, bringing the ship in line with the rest of Oceania's totally transformed vessels. Passengers embarking will be treated to updated staterooms, suites and public spaces boasting a new, brighter decor scheme of new softer colors inspired by the sea in place of the old, dark Renaissance-era interiors.
The refit was put on hold due to the ongoing global health crisis, but is expected to be completed in 2021.

I cannot say for sure that what Nautica underwent in December was the complete NEXT refurbishment, but there is no doubt that she was worked on at San Giorgio del Porto in 2020.  Shipbuilding and repair industry publications "Informazioni Marittime", and "Ship2Shore" both reported in July, 2020, that Nautica was to be worked on at San Giorgio during 2020.  "Cruise Industry News", the publication whose article I referred to, cited information released by the yard which said that "San Giorgio del Porto is currently refurbishing four vessels belonging to Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, together with Chantier Naval de Marseille shipyard. These include the Oceania Nautica, Regent Seven Seas navigator, as well as the Norwegian Breakaway and Getaway.....".  On top of all that, the yard's own website carries pictures of Nautica at the yard in 2020 and said that she "....   underwent refurbishment of decks and cabins and technical maintenance, including the installation of scrubbers and a new type of propeller."  So, is it possible that the entire industry got it wrong and that San Giorgio del Porto worked on the wrong ship mistaking it for the Nautica?  Again, I don't know if Nautica underwent the entire planned NEXT refurbishment and there is yet more to come later on.  I personally do not always trust information from well intended Oceania representatives as we have all seen other instances on this board in which someone said "a representative told me that...." only to find out something different later on.  Nor do I always trust Cruise Critic to keep its list of new builds and refurbishments up to date.  The several month absence of Windstar refurbishments from the list last year stands out to me in particular.  I even had messaged Cruise Critic and asked why Windstar was not on the list.  But, whatever, the case, Nautica was clearly at the yard last year for either a limited availability or a full refurbishment.  It sure would be helpful to all of us if Oceania, who we all know reads these boards as the other lines do, would speak up and let us know what happened in 2020 and what is yet to come.  I don't think that it is asking too much of Oceania to clear up the confusion.    

I received Oceania's Tropics and Exotics brochure last week and on page 3 it states " Oceania NEXT & RE-INSPIRATION HIGHLIGHTS.

The beautifully re-inspired Regatta, Insignia, Nautica and Sirena are better than new ships from top to bottom and carpet to chandeliers" which must be evidence that all the ships have now been done. It had better be true as this is one of the main reasons I am booked on it in October/November. It also states that " All suites and staterooms are entirely new on the four ships while designer residential furnishings from Baker and Donghia adorn public spaces."

Edited by ARDXXX
addition to post

1 hour ago, ARDXXX said:

I received Oceania's Tropics and Exotics brochure last week and on page 3 it states " Oceania NEXT & RE-INSPIRATION HIGHLIGHTS.

The beautifully re-inspired Regatta, Insignia, Nautica and Sirena are better than new ships from top to bottom and carpet to chandeliers" which must be evidence that all the ships have now been done. It had better be true as this is one of the main reasons I am booked on it in October/November. It also states that " All suites and staterooms are entirely new on the four ships while designer residential furnishings from Baker and Donghia adorn public spaces."

My guess is that brochure was designed, composed and printed many months ago, at a time when it was anticipated that the refurbishment would have been completed. That's not to say it hasn't been because I don't know one way or the other, but I wouldn't take the fact that it's in print as proof the refurbishment was completed.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Nautica has not been redone recently and no date is set..

But Oceania never lets their ships look tired the upkeep is amazing..I would not be concerned about sailing on her..

Jancruz1

Thank You!

You are a treasure here! So much better to get actual accurate info than wild assumptions.

🥂

• Like 2