Blu vs Specialty Restaurants

NMTraveller

Lately I have always dined in the specialty restaurants.  It looks like on my next cruise we are in Aqua and will be dining in Blu?  How do they compare?  I am just trying to figure out if I should book some or all nights in specialty restaurants.

We have cruised in Aqua class several times so very familiar with Blu.  We prefer Blu on M class ships as opposed to S class where the tables are more crowded together.  Commenting on tastes and cuisines is very difficult because everyone has different preferences.  Some will say Blu is not worth it and some will say why eat anywhere else since you are paying extra for Blu.  I say, give Blu a chance and if you don't like it, eat elsewhere - specialty restaurant, MDR, or buffet.

• Like 2

Flu is the reason most people book Aqua cabins.  The fare is a bit lighter is style and the setting more intimate.  As already said, would suggest you try Blu and then decide.

We found the food and service in Blu excellent in the past.  A step up from the MDR and close to the specialty restaurants where our experiences have varied from magnificent to just barely ok.

Important to note that none of us has any idea as to how the restaurants will handle social distancing.  Tables blocked off or removed?  Extendend dining hours?  Everyone with an assigned time and table?  No predictions as to what will happen 

6 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Flu is the reason most people book Aqua cabins.  The fare is a bit lighter is style and the setting more intimate.  As already said, would suggest you try Blu and then decide.

We found the food and service in Blu excellent in the past.  A step up from the MDR and close to the specialty restaurants where our experiences have varied from magnificent to just barely ok.

Important to note that none of us has any idea as to how the restaurants will handle social distancing.  Tables blocked off or removed?  Extendend dining hours?  Everyone with an assigned time and table?  No predictions as to what will happen 

We booked Aqua class for that reason. Do you know if Blue has room service? Maybe an option with social distancing and all? Got our vaccines but still cautious. 

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Lately I have always dined in the specialty restaurants.  It looks like on my next cruise we are in Aqua and will be dining in Blu?  How do they compare?  I am just trying to figure out if I should book some or all nights in specialty restaurants.

Blu is nice but does not compare to the Specialty Restaurants.  I would not say Blu is intimate dining unless you want to be intimate to the couple on your left and couple on your right.  The tables, especially on the S class are really close together.  We do a mixture of  Blu, Specialty Restaurants,  and the evening buffet which had theme nights i.e. fish fry, German, Italian, Mexican, etc.

Try Blu and you can always book a Specialty Restaurant, eat in the MDR, etc.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

How do they compare?

I can't speak to a comparison,  having not done much with specialty restaurants over the years, but we used AQ class and Blu for the first time in Oct. '19 and really liked it. I booked it again for next year. What we liked is the early eating time - usually got there right at 5:00 (I believe that's when they opened). It was so much smaller than the MDR, quiet, got seats at a window just about every evening, and found the food to be quite good. I must say that I have little interest in going back to the larger dining option. For the most part, I just don't feel the need to explore specialty dining unless we get some sort of deal on it - like a voucher from our TA - which we did but then never got to use it once the pandemic came along. I like AQ for other things as well - the afternoon nibbles, iced tea, and the use of Persian Garden. 

3 minutes ago, keesar said:

The tables, especially on the S class are really close together.

Didn't bother me at all. Except for one or two times, we were always at a window and never felt like we were that close to anyone else. All this might be moot given that who knows how things will change yet. Tables in ALL dining venues could wind up being farther apart. 

4 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Didn't bother me at all. Except for one or two times, we were always at a window and never felt like we were that close to anyone else. All this might be moot given that who knows how things will change yet. Tables in ALL dining venues could wind up being farther apart. 

That would be good. When we were on the Reflection, when I asked a question to my spouse, the person on the right answered.  This happened more than once.  The tables were so close that the waiter had to walk around all of the tables to serve me.  We also try for a window seat as well.

We could not order main courses from the MDR menu on the S-class ships as the distance between galleys was too far I was told.

Edited by keesar

7 minutes ago, keesar said:

We could not order main courses from the MDR menu on the S-class ships as the distance between galleys was too far I was told.

Makes sense. We only did Blu that one time but did enjoy it. That was on the Summit. We're told that Persian Garden is not as nice a facility on M-class. Never been on S-class. We've done the Summit and Infinity. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Makes sense. We only did Blu that one time but did enjoy it. That was on the Summit. We're told that Persian Garden is not as nice a facility on M-class. Never been on S-class. We've done the Summit and Infinity. 

Huge difference between Persian Garden on the S-class ships.  Great views!  Bright and great facilities. We love relaxing there.

If we are in Blu on a M class ship we don’t o to the speciality restaurants ever.  Tuscan isn’t high on our list and on the M Class ships we find it dark and depressing it lacks the big windows that are on the S Class .  Qsine/Le Petit Chef we did both menus once won’t repeat that again.

On the S Class ships we will go to a speciality restaurant 1 or 2 times on a 12+ night cruise.  Normally that would be Murano and on the Reflection or Silhouette the Lawn Grill.  
Blu is the only reason we book Aqua.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm not sure of this, but I think you can even tell the Blu staff to bring you something that you saw on the MDR menu (?)  

Although Blu is the assigned restaurant for AQ - and the reason for most to book AQ - you are not limited or obligated to eat in Blu. You can also eat in the MDR. No problem!

On some ships you can order MDR menu items in Blu on others you can’t. 
I can’t remember if S or M class... because I never tried.

• Like 1

Usually you can order from the MDR menu in Blu on "M" class ships as Blu and Luminae were carve out of the MDR when the M class ships were retrofit to include "S" class amenities so their galleys are colocated.   On S class ships Blu is on Deck 5 and the MDR galley is all the way aft on deck 3&4.  I have heard people being accommodated but it means a staff member going deck 5 to mid ship, down the stairs, all the way aft and then back.

On all M and S class ships I've never had any trouble getting the everyday MDR menu items in Blu or Luminae as I believe they stock those items.

We actually booked Aqua class for the Persian Gardens.  However if we like Blu it will be a bonus.  We may just rotate Blu in with the specialty restaurants.

How are the views from Blu on the S class?

It sounds like I really need to try M class sometime.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We actually booked Aqua class for the Persian Gardens.  However if we like Blu it will be a bonus.  We may just rotate Blu in with the specialty restaurants.

It sounds like I really need to try M class sometime.

If you dine early ( before sunset) the views are fine.  After sunset, in the middle of the ocean, everything is basic black.  

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

During the day, the views are fine.  However, if the ship is traveling North, the blinds will be drawn as the sun begins to set and your view will be affected.   The biggest advantage of dining before sunset is that the room is bright and has a cheery feeling.  

On 3/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, Cruisin4ABruisen said:

In my opinion, Blu is good, but the specialty restaurants still edge it out. When staying in an Aqua class cabin, we like to do a mixture of Blu and specialty. It's nice to have the variety.

We got Aqua as a " free " option as part of. Celebrity/Rocky Mountaineer/Canadian Rockies package. We found it, perhaps a bit better than MDR and not quite as good as specialities. Not much difference, but a bit. I think in 7 nights we ate there 2,or 3 times.