Blu vs Specialty Restaurants

NMTraveller

Just out thoughts:
We have booked Blu(Aqua) numerous times, but close together should be rephrased as  “on top of each other”. Our suggestion is that you opt for the seating along the back wall on the banquette for some separation, but still not much.

Of our eight future bookings, only this December(Silhouette)is in Aqua, because it is less expense over the length of the cruise to eat in a specialty(there is nothing like eating at the lawn club on a Caribbean evening), with better choices. A cruise length pass to the Persian gardens is worth the purchase on an S class(front of the ship with great window views on heated loungers), but not on M(interior with bench type seating). The two future b2b cruises on Apex, we again chose an E1 rather then Aqua just to enjoy the four different dining venues(really enjoyed this on Edge).

Hal

14 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Here´s a teaser...

Note: Menus before changes.

Thanks.  This pretty much illustrates it.

To me it looks like it ranks somewhere between MDR and specialty.  I looked at a current menu online and I liked the menu.  I think I will rotate it in with the specialties.

Do they serve lunch in Blu on ports days?  Sea days?

IMO blu second rate.  While "appears" to be more like a sp restaurant, it isn't.  Tables for two lined up and almost like one long table.  Food IMO fair.  We sail often, and have found so much better to take a well located balcony cabin and unlimited sp dining package.  

If you are on the Edge especially, Blu located in a hallway- very dark.  And the dining in the MDRs is great- they are like specialty restaurants and you can dine in a different one daily with anytime dining- what a great concept.    We also do not appreciate any other blu perks.  Used the persian garden once for 15 minutes, and the aroma in the cabin horrible- surely not worth the money- if you want the extra cc points, take a concierge room. 

We like Blu (an AQ) for a few reasons.  After a day of general mayhem of busy ship, port visit and we liked the overall quietness of Blu for dinner.  The MDR was too busy for us to relax.  That may have changed with the advent of 4 different dining rooms on E Class

The food is Blu is very good.  It isn't weird or "too healthy" and the choices allow something for everyone.

Persian Gardens is a nice area to go to and use the loungers (fantastic) and assorted ice/steam/sauna rooms

We tried Tuscan on a cruise (non AQ) the first night with a 50% discount deal.  Nice, but I wasn't overwhelmed

Finally, food is highly subjective.  You aren't going to get a "bad" meal on X in any restaurant.  I have sat next to people who are eating well done filet mignon and were loving it telling me what great cooks they are so....

On 3/7/2021 at 2:26 PM, keesar said:

That would be good. When we were on the Reflection, when I asked a question to my spouse, the person on the right answered.  This happened more than once.  The tables were so close that the waiter had to walk around all of the tables to serve me.  We also try for a window seat as well.

Our experience in October 2019 on Reflection was: 1) the window 2-tops in the MDR were just as close together as those we had previously experienced in Blu on other S-class ships, 2) the noise level was much higher in the MDR and 3) the wine steward in the MDR was much more overloaded than in Blu - hardly ever available to top off our wine glasses in the MDR but always there to pour in Blu. And our Reflection MDR and other S-class Blu experiences were both off-peak since we were generally seated right when the restaurants were opening in both restaurant types.

While we view Blu as a step above the MDR - on a relative basis, Celebrity's specialty restaurants are generally a couple more steps above Blu.  Hence we generally do not book AQ if it is priced at more than about $50 pp per day greater than the cost of a 1A cabin (at the 1B loyalty fare) on a S-class ship since we would rather spend the difference on specialty restaurants.

However, since the specialty restaurants on M-class are much more limited, we will book AQ up to about $70 pp per day greater than the cost of a 2A cabin (at the 2B fare.)

Based on deck plans, we would probably not enjoy Blu on an E-class ship since it is an interior room without any windows. But then we will probably never book an E-class ship since we have no interest in an IV cabin.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Our experience in October 2019 on Reflection was: 1) the window 2-tops in the MDR were just as close together as those we had previously experienced in Blu on other S-class ships, 2) the noise level was much higher in the MDR and 3) the wine steward in the MDR was much more overloaded than in Blu - hardly ever available to top off our wine glasses in the MDR but always there to pour in Blu. And our Reflection MDR and other S-class Blu experiences were both off-peak since we were generally seated right when the restaurants were opening in both restaurant types.

While we view Blu as a step above the MDR - on a relative basis, Celebrity's specialty restaurants are generally a couple more steps above Blu.  Hence we generally do not book AQ if it is priced at more than about $50 pp per day greater than the cost of a 1A cabin (at the 1B loyalty fare) on a S-class ship since we would rather spend the difference on specialty restaurants.

However, since the specialty restaurants on M-class are much more limited, we will book AQ up to about $70 pp per day greater than the cost of a 2A cabin (at the 2B fare.)

Based on deck plans, we would probably not enjoy Blu on an E-class ship since it is an interior room without any windows. But then we will probably never book an E-class ship since we have no interest in an IV cabin.

On the Edge, take an aft balcony cabin.  You get a true balcony.  Or if you can, book a sky suite.  Not near or under the magic carpet as you might encounter noise and obstructions to your view.   You can also dine in lumine, which offers many more choice then Blu.  But of course, you pay for it.  Considering many of us have missed cruises over the past 12 months, perhaps this upgrade to a SS might work.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 2:02 PM, zap99 said:

as part of. Celebrity/Rocky Mountaineer/Canadian Rockies package.

Most interesting...which Rocky Moutaineer trip did you do? I've considered the train as an alternative to fly/drive. We'd like to see the Banff / Jasper / Lake Louise areas but also Glacier National Park. So the latter is what is leading me towards the direction of a DIY.  If we would do the train, I believe there is one called the Great Circle route that looked like it would suit us. 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Most interesting...which Rocky Moutaineer trip did you do? I've considered the train as an alternative to fly/drive. We'd like to see the Banff / Jasper / Lake Louise areas but also Glacier National Park. So the latter is what is leading me towards the direction of a DIY.  If we would do the train, I believe there is one called the Great Circle route that looked like it would suit us. 

We did the journey to the clouds from Jasper to Vancouver. Very good, but we did told leaf. Silver leaf is down in the treeline for one of the days.

On 3/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

Blu on Edge is somewhat difficult to access, isn’t it?  Did you have to walk through that cReepy forest?

Ah yes.  The creepy dark forest.  Edge is a downgrade in my opinion from S class.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:54 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

Blu on Edge is somewhat difficult to access, isn’t it?  Did you have to walk through that cReepy forest?

Yes we had to walk though the forest, I didn’t find it creepy however.  

19 hours ago, zap99 said:

We did the journey to the clouds from Jasper to Vancouver

Their trips look really nice, and if we had already been to Glacier NP I'd very seriously consider one of the circle routes they offer. I'm thinking we'll wind up flying in and out of Calgary, and rent a car. Have gotten some good advice on tripadvisor on planning a journey out that way. Thinking probably next year mid-September. It's advised to not go too much later than that. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Their trips look really nice, and if we had already been to Glacier NP I'd very seriously consider one of the circle routes they offer. I'm thinking we'll wind up flying in and out of Calgary, and rent a car. Have gotten some good advice on tripadvisor on planning a journey out that way. Thinking probably next year mid-September. It's advised to not go too much later than that. 

Our plan A is fly to Vancouver, 2 night stay, X Eclipse Alaska, Globus 10 night Rockies tour, fly back to UK from Calgary, or Rocky Mountaineer back to Vancouver, overnight ( or 2 ) and back to Heathrow. We will leave it a while as we had the same in 2020 and 2021 cancelled.