Celebrity cancelled till end May

Stu UK

37 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I won't pay final May 1st. way too much $$'s for my suite and business class air.

Their restrictions are too limited with their FCC to sail by date for me. I am heavily booked with RCI for all of 2022 and would only be able to book for 2023. Not happy with X at this point at all and am sorry after many years of RCI I tried to give X a 2nd chance.

You know RCL and celebrity are the same company. When I received a call from celebrity, even my call display said Royal Caribbean.

16 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

You know RCL and celebrity are the same company. When I received a call from celebrity, even my call display said Royal Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises are not the same company. They are independent cruise lines, each operating as a wholly owned subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Group. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises are not the same company. They are independent cruise lines, each operating as a wholly owned subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Group. 

Depends on how you look at it. When I looked at them, it is like Carnival, HAL and Princess.

or Lexus and Toyota or It is like Rogers and Fido.

26 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

Depends on how you look at it. When I looked at them, it is like Carnival, HAL and Princess.

or Lexus and Toyota or It is like Rogers and Fido.

It's like Carnival (Cruise Line, not Corporation), HAL and Princess, not like Toyota/Lexus or Rogers/Fido.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmhlin said:

They probably will cancel it after you pay the full amount because... if you are not committed, you would rebook or for next year (no lift and shift) or cancel. If you are committed, they will hold on to your full amount for a year.

This development is interesting and seems to match your theory. We were booked on the May 29, 2021 Silhouette cruise out of Southampton. Weeks ago, it became clear to us that this cruise had no chance to sail.

We held it up until final payment date, which was February, 28, 2021. Our hope had been that if Celebrity cancelled the cruise, we would have been invited to re-book, at the price of 2020 for a cruise in 2022. Unfortunately, final payment date came and we had to cancel, not wanting to take the risk to have another cruise fare banked in a FCC. 

So, strangely, 9 days after our final payment date....Celebrity cancels the cruise.... I believe it proves your theory Jhmlin.

9 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

This development is interesting and seems to match your theory. We were booked on the May 29, 2021 Silhouette cruise out of Southampton. Weeks ago, it became clear to us that this cruise had no chance to sail.

We held it up until final payment date, which was February, 28, 2021. Our hope had been that if Celebrity cancelled the cruise, we would have been invited to re-book, at the price of 2020 for a cruise in 2022. Unfortunately, final payment date came and we had to cancel, not wanting to take the risk to have another cruise fare banked in a FCC. 

So, strangely, 9 days after our final payment date....Celebrity cancels the cruise.... I believe it proves your theory Jhmlin.

Very unfortunate they did this.  I moved a cruise for Aug 2021, with a refundable deposit, and after I got my new cruise confirmation I discovered they did charge the $100/pp charge, on the phone they said no would not happen, it has now been combined with a NRD.  I will be on the phone quite a bit tomorrow I guess.

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Very unfortunate they did this.  I moved a cruise for Aug 2021, with a refundable deposit, and after I got my new cruise confirmation I discovered they did charge the $100/pp charge, on the phone they said no would not happen, it has now been combined with a NRD.  I will be on the phone quite a bit tomorrow I guess.

I hope that your time on the phone tomorrow will end up with an acceptable resolution for you. Good luck! 

4 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

I hope that your time on the phone tomorrow will end up with an acceptable resolution for you. Good luck! 

Thank you, I will definitely provide an update here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jmhlin said:

Princess cancelled all 2021 cruises from Southampton. Unless Celebrity can do something really different, I don't think any international cruises can sail out from U.K. My July 2021 Baltic cruise will sail U.K to Norway, Denmark,  Sweden, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Germany. It is difficult to see how can Celebrity cruises work with all these countries and convinced them it is safe to let the people off the ship. One country is pretty obvious will say No from the above list. LOL

Our May 15th cruise from Southampton going to the same places has been cancelled today, we can lift and shift to May 2022 but it's only 12 days and misses out Norway and Germany.

There are/were 3 parties of 2 going, the person that actaully booked it has spoken to Celebrity today and they gave her 3 options.

Before I get to the options, a back story.

Booked through Iglu Cruises.

February 2020 we sailed on Celebrity Millennium from Singapore, we got as far as Vietnam and no one else would let us in, I guess you all know that though.

Cruise cut short from 15th to 10th February.

They gave us 100% refund and 50% FCC, very generous I thought.

Iglu Cruises did a fantastic job of getting us home from Singapore too.

We used the refund and FCC to book a bespoke cruise with Iglu around Australia on Celebrity Eclipse for 3rd January 2021, naively thinking it would be fine by then...

This was also cancelled.

So, we split everything (cash and FCC) and booked two cruises through Iglu Cruises, one for 15th May 2021 Scandinavia & St. Petersburg from Southampton on Celebrity Silhouette and the other a bespoke cruise on 14th November on Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York, 7 days Bahamas cruise on Athem of the Seas then back to Southampton on Queen Mary 2.

FCC was used for Scandinavia cruise, cash refund for the other.

We obviously had to pay the outstanding balance on both cruises.

Now to the options the lead booker was given over the phone as I have been told.

1. Get a refund of money paid, £1245 (rest was in FCC)

2. Lift and Shift, after the person they spoke to had to ask a supervisor if it was possible(??) to 2022 leave as is or pay an extra £300+ per person for a better room 
(deck 6 obstructed view to not, same deck) and get the new always included perks, we booked before it was a thing. This is 2 days shorter and we lose Norway and Germany.

3. Get FCC on only what cash we have paid and lose the other £11,600 FCC we had from the other cruises to book another cruise.

I'm unsure if the lead has got it wrong on option 3 and it's keep the £11k FCC and only get 125% FCC on the cash paid.

I have no idea how it works with FCC on forever cancelled bookings.

I didn't think they would keep adding 25% on top of FCC that has had 25% added before, but I also didn't think we could just lose it all.

Is our only option Lift and Shift or lose the £11k FCC?

I believe the rep got it wrong.  You should get the FCC you used reissued at the original  value  and any cash you paid should be returned as a FCC at 125%.  You are correct you only get the 25% bonus once, it doesn’t compound each time.

18 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

But how many cruises just going around the UK can the market take?  With Cunard, P&O and Princess all to my knowledge about to offer around UK cruises I would think it will look very close to saturation point quite quickly.  I think I read also that Hurtigruten and Viking Oceans were also considering round the UK voyages, but I'm not sure that's for this year.

Plus, a lot of us with cruises booked would have little interest in such a cruise, I know I wouldn't unless it were to have very attractive pricing and be sailing with vastly reduced passenger numbers.  

i got a offer from a UK online travel agent about a tall ship cruise, Tradewinds.  Brand new ship from Southampton for six nights down the south coast to Cornwall, staying overnight in Falmouth 

That sounded quite interesting.

I'm hoping that as RC have Anthem here already she may do a few local voyages.  She's an ideal cold weather ship  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

I believe the rep got it wrong.  You should get the FCC you used reissued at the original  value  and any cash you paid should be returned as a FCC at 125%.  You are correct you only get the 25% bonus once, it doesn’t compound each time.

True but the FCC will be reissued with the original conditions which have now been extended to book by April 30, 2022 sail by Sept 30, 2022.   So the FCC would have to be used for a sailing before Oct 2022 or it will be void.

30 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

True but the FCC will be reissued with the original conditions which have now been extended to book by April 30, 2022 sail by Sept 30, 2022.   So the FCC would have to be used for a sailing before Oct 2022 or it will be void.

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

The more I read these posts, the more I admire TA's!!  if, as I suspect, some of these more involved and knowledgeable posts ARE from TA's... 👍.  Must have super MBA grad level tourism education to wade through all the legal ins and outs of cruise line lingo;  then interpret it to the customer and put them on the best path forward.  It boggles my mind just trying to put all of my changes so far in some kind of context....which replaced what, when, and at what cost.  Spread sheet works for me .... sometimes. 🤔

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The more I read these posts, the more I admire TA's!!  if, as I suspect, some of these more involved and knowledgeable posts ARE from TA's... 👍.  Must have super MBA grad level tourism education to wade through all the legal ins and outs of cruise line lingo;  then interpret it to the customer and put them on the best path forward.  It boggles my mind just trying to put all of my changes so far in some kind of context....which replaced what, when, and at what cost.  Spread sheet works for me .... sometimes. 🤔

Slightly outdated now, but this is the gist of it.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 10.13.27 AM.png

20 hours ago, cangelmd said:

My husband, who is an eternal optimist in opposition to my relentless pessimism, pointed out that through about 4 cancelled cruises, this is the first one that got us this sort of email - he chooses to be positive.  Neither one of us think there is a snowballs chance of this going forward, but this is our 40th anniversary, so we are sticking it out to the bitter end (don’t know what we will do about airline reservations).

Hey that is real progress!  An email this time!

We missed our 40th anniversary cruise last July.  Ireland and Iceland on Reflection.  Our next cruise (Sept this year to Norway) is very likely to get cancelled.  So we might take our anniversary cruise 2 years late in 2022.  But what is the difference really between 40 and 42 years!  It will be all the sweeter.  And we will have survived COVID.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

If my Celebrity July 2021 cruise is cancelled is there a possibility the FCC date will be extended beyond Sept 2022?

My Magic 8 ball has been on hiatus the past several weeks, though I did just ask and he said only Celebrity knows for sure.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

If my Celebrity July 2021 cruise is cancelled is there a possibility the FCC date will be extended beyond Sept 2022?

That is a very good question.  The FCC sail by date should be extended beyond Sept 2022 on all European cruises that are canceled since Celebrity's European season does not end until November.  We should be able to use our FCC on any European cruise in 2022, including the sailings that fall in Oct 2022.  I hope Celebrity extends this date.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

My Magic 8 ball has been on hiatus the past several weeks, though I did just ask and he said only Celebrity knows for sure.

You haven't got it working yet??  I count on you for ALL the right answers...now I hear it's your 8 ball and it's out of commission.

3 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

You haven't got it working yet??  I count on you for ALL the right answers...now I hear it's your 8 ball and it's out of commission.

Sorry to disappoint, but am trying to coax him out of semi-retirement

• Haha 2

Rolling FCC to our July 3rd Baltic? 

We have FCC’s from a cancelled TA last October that could have been refunded in cash by 12/31/20. We have a July 3rd Baltic out of Southhampton.  If we apply the FCCs to the Baltic, pay the difference in cash, and then X cancels it, would the resulting FCC be refundable in cash by the updated date for cancellations of THIS cruise? (Currently 6/30/21 for May cancellations)  Have asked my TA and gotten both answers.  

8 minutes ago, Holsum1 said:

Rolling FCC to our July 3rd Baltic? 

We have FCC’s from a cancelled TA last October that could have been refunded in cash by 12/31/20. We have a July 3rd Baltic out of Southhampton.  If we apply the FCCs to the Baltic, pay the difference in cash, and then X cancels it, would the resulting FCC be refundable in cash by the updated date for cancellations of THIS cruise? (Currently 6/30/21 for May cancellations)  Have asked my TA and gotten both answers.  

If Celebrity cancels the cruise any deposits/payments are refundable.

1 hour ago, kebrown said:

That is a very good question.  The FCC sail by date should be extended beyond Sept 2022 on all European cruises that are canceled since Celebrity's European season does not end until November.  We should be able to use our FCC on any European cruise in 2022, including the sailings that fall in Oct 2022.  I hope Celebrity extends this date.

Oh...I was hoping to use the FCC if offered for 2023...I'm already booked heavily with RCI for 2022.

Thanks so much for replying.