Rough Seas

MMfan14

Contemplating booking a cruise sometime in October-December 2022 out of Baltimore on the Legend, but trying to decide where to be on the ship. I know storms can develop that time of the year and the seas can get rough. I have been on multiple cruises and have not yet been in any type of bad seas and never gotten seasick. So I'm looking at a Balcony Midship Upper or Empress deck. Anyone been on this class of ship during rough seas?

Shortest movement on a fulcrum is the middle just as smoothest area is always mid ship mid decks on any ship.  That being said the rougher the seas the rougher the ride period. We sailed back to San Francisco once from the the south and had 14 ft swells and it didnt matter WHERE you were on the ship you felt it lol.

• Like 1

we have cruised from Baltimore 6 times mostly in October and have had rough seas on 3 of these cruises. 2 were heading south to Bahamas but the worse was going to Bermuda. one of them coming back from Freeport they roped off all doors leading to outside decks because or high swells of around 20 feet and 50 mph winds. we just spent the day having fun inside and the rocking ship does not bother us. the motion going to Bermuda was different though and while the waves were not as high the motion was worse. coming back though was a sheet of glass. it is always a chance going down the east coast to have motion. we have never experienced this much motion leaving from Florida or even Charleston SC. still October is one of our favorite times to cruise because the humidity and temps have dropped a bit in the Caribbean by then.

Rough seas can happen any time of year.

My anecdote:

Cruising from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas, right after the double whammy of a couple of nor'easters that hit the northern eastern seaboard in early March 2018.  No "weather" down in FL/Bahamas, but huge swells from those storms.  20' to 25' swells, but nothing special wind-wise.

My wife and I were fine (I guess we have sea legs, didn't even slow down our participation in Cheers!), but a big part of the rest of the guests were miserable.

• Like 1

We were returning to Baltimore on Pride a couple of years ago and had to sail through the remnants of a nor'easter. 40 to 50 foot waves and lots of wind. I slept like a baby but others in my party not so much. We were in a mid-ship balcony on Main. I understand mid-ship cabins lower down are supposed to be smoother but I've walked those passageways and it seemed to me to make no real difference.

• Like 1

I was on the Pride out of Baltimore a few years ago and it did get a little rough headed down and on the way back. I loved it though. It actually made me want more rough seas when on a ship and that seldom happens out of Florida. 

You'll get the least amount of motion approximately 2/3 of the way back from the bow, and obviously on the lower decks.

I've only experienced REALLY rough conditions on a cruise one time...... approximately 70 mph winds and 20 foot seas for a good part of the night.  Unfortunately I didn't know that this storm was coming or I wouldn't have had the extra entree, extra dessert, and a couple of extra drinks at dinner that evening.  We were on the top deck almost at the front of the ship too.  I felt nearly weightless every time the ship went over a swell, while luggage was moving across the floor and our closet doors were opening and slamming shut.  I made it through about 3 hours of that before getting sick.  This was the last night of the cruise, we were about 3 hours late getting into port and disembarking was a total mess. 

The ride had been really smooth up until that point.  We decided to listen to an "Ask the Captain" presentation earlier that day and I was surprised to hear a lady ask something about why the ride had been so rough.  After the beating we took that night I'm guessing she never set foot on another ship.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1

one of ours on the Victory  years ago when i went to the buffet for morning coffee i was bouncing off both walls in the hallway. when i got to the buffet area water an inch or two deep from the pool was running side to side with the swaying of the ship. coffee cups had crashed all over the deck and were going wherever the water took them. people were just sitting there eating like nothing going on, but lifting feet every time the water run under them. quite a funny sight. we were first day out from Norfolk in the middle of a nor'easter going down the coast. cleared up by mid day and perfect the rest of the cruise.

• Like 3

Been on Pride from Baltimore many times and Legend from NY once. We always chose balcony cabins Main Deck mid ship or aft on Pride and on Legend, with one exception, and that was once on Pride we booked upper deck extended balcony.  Never any problems for us. 

19 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

This was the scene

on Riviera Deck, Carnival Pride, some time back in 2012.

Now you know why those big picture windows on Decks 1 and 2

are sealed tight.

Rivera dk Ocean view cabin- Carniv-Pride Nov 2012.jpg

There's a reason it's called "the raging sea". Unfortunately for me our transit through the worst of the storm happened during the night so I wasn't able to get any good pictures. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

There's a reason it's called "the raging sea".

Unfortunately for me our transit through the worst of the storm

happened during the night

so I wasn't able to get any good pictures. 

We've been very lucky... in fourteen cruises

the rockiest weather we ever had, just that once,

was coming up-swell/up-weather to Barbados

after passing thru the channel between St. Lucia

and the North end of St. Vincent
where everyone on board was a bit green around the gills

until we all had breakfast and felt considerably better!

16 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

We've been very lucky... in fourteen cruises

the rockiest weather we ever had, just that once,

was coming up-swell/up-weather to Barbados

after passing thru the channel between St. Lucia

and the North end of St. Vincent
where everyone on board was a bit green around the gills

until we all had breakfast and felt considerably better!

In 10 cruises that Pride sailing was the worst, but I've been in rougher seas, in a smaller vessel (which is exactly what I told DW when she expressed concern about making it through the night, just before I fell into a blissful sleep).

• Like 2

We were on the Sunrise Sept 2019 out of New York.

Hurricane Dorian was spinning for a week off Georgia and the Carolina's.

I was surprised we sailed  but we did close to on time I recall.

We sailed between Dorian and Bermuda and there was nice swells the first Sea Day into the night.

Shows were postponed, many were green, very green.

Lotsa clean up.

Made it to Grand Turk on time to celebrate My 60th at Jacks with Sandy and the gang.

GT.thumb.jpg.0c40394e3d8ca0be6f3ea127720a0d77.jpg

We had an Aft Wrap, I enjoyed the bumpy ride down  but many did not.

• Like 2

Years ago we had a mid ship cabin and we were coming back to Charleston.  The weather got rough that day and they blocked off the promenade mid afternoon but it wasn't bad. 

Then we went to the show after dinner and I started to feel like I was in an elevator and asked my wife if she felt it. Before she could answer the bottom dropped out and the dancers were grabbing floor.  In those days they had a music pit and the music stopped.  Now we could easily feel the rise and drop. And the dancers did their best to continue. 

People were  walking out and my wife for the first time felt sick.  Inside the ship it was having a strong stench as people weren't making it to the rest rooms.  We headed to the lido for fresh air and there was one young man laying on a lounge in the dark covered in towels. He said he was on a lower deck near the bow and his window was going under water at every dip.

We arrived 3 hours late to the dock because we had lost a window near the front of the ship from wind and water. 

• Like 1

Yes, have sailed on Legend at least 10 times. Yes mid-ship around deck 6 or 7 best option.

The worst seas in Australian cruising in the last 20 years, was in March 2015, Sydney superstores. A tropical cyclone to the north of Sydney, was giving us 14 meters seas. The Legend had to depart Sydney for a Trans-Pacific cruise, so the captain went out through Sydney Heads. The MDR was lucky yo have 150 people in it that night, & the punchliner there was 18 of us. Had a great muck around with comedians & Host. The Carnival Spirit couldn't entre Sydney harbour cause the seas where so massive. 

But we survived  was movement  but had a great location mid-ship deck 5..

11 hours ago, mredandchis said:

Inside the ship it was having a strong stench

as people weren't making it to the rest rooms. 

We headed to the lido for fresh air and there was one young man

laying on a lounge in the dark covered in towels.

He said he was on a lower deck near the bow

and his window was going under water at every dip.

We arrived 3 hours late to the dock

because we had lost a window near the front of the ship

from wind and water. 

Only one comment to make...

ship-happens.jpg

• Haha 1

Fascination-Front cabin on the Riviera-porthole, late departure from port, too many folks had too many drinks and we didn't even do the Muster.  Storm picked up off the coast of Florida,  swells that night were 10-15 feet, wave went down, we went down, wave went up, we went up, both DH and I were hanging on to the mattress not to fall out of bed and yes we ended up falling asleep-  THE BOSS was up on the Main- cabin 11- turning green, and cussing us for talking her into taking this cruise.

Next morning-DH and i were up and about, having coffee on the lido (which was empty), and then going to breakfast in the MDR (which was empty), and exploring the ship (which was empty). It was the nicest, quietest cruise we have ever taken...LOL.  But that was a Fantasy class ship.

(people tried to leave their cabins but they were barfing everywhere)

We had a mid level balcony on the Legend for our honey moon, and the captain in the middle of the night took a short cut heading north between Cozumel and Cancun, at a pretty fast rate, and the speed woke me up.  Low down, in the middle is the least amount of major movement. I however cruise to not only see the sea, but feel the sea.