Need hotel area recommendations in Sydney

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Sounds good, that would be for lunch, more for dinner. I am not  a  big luncher, prefer dinner, as i like a couple of wines and dont drink before 5pm, self enforcement.

Have you been to the big Currumbin RSL recently? Upmarket now, $35 to $40 a main meal.

Yes they are only open during the day.  

I have only been to Currumbin RSL once meeting friends on way to the airport.  

Best bargain on the Coast is fish and crunchy chips for lunch $10, from a Fish and Chips shop at Burleigh. 

Some of the posts here may need translating for the OP. There are strange words they may not have come across before.😉

e.g. The rissole!

Edited by lyndarra

7 hours ago, floridababa said:

Thank you lyndarra being from the U.S. there are words I don't understand. What I am curious about is the lunches at the club's. Are there any by the rocks area?

There’s nothing cheap in Sydney as food goes.

If you’re here for 4-5 nights,maybe a serviced apartment would be nice.

They are similar to a hotel but more room,a kitchen and some do a breakfast.

You could go to the fish markets and stock up .

Edited by Chiliburn

Floridababa, this is what is available at the Easts League Club at Bondi Junction, which is a short train ride from Sydney CBD. The licensed clubs welcome visitors providing they don't reside in the local area. They are able to provide cheap meals from their profits from poker (slots) machines.

EBJ_LunchSpecials_SQ.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, floridababa said:

Thank you lyndarra being from the U.S. there are words I don't understand. What I am curious about is the lunches at the club's. Are there any by the rocks area?

No clubs in the Rocks. Nearest club to there would be the NSW Bowls Club in York St or City Tattersalls, both good, visitors welcome.

Down at Circular quay opposite the ferries is City Extra, open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, reasonable value for the city. Ate brekkie there when we stayed at Marriott precruise, I would not get value for a $50 brekkie at the Marriott.

City Extra does a great little mixed grill, had it a couple of times, you know you are going to get a pic, lol..

Mixed-Grill-b-300x288.jpg.dcf3c63ea8e97220a7930a8a76298568.jpg

Edited by NSWP

No clubs at the Rocks but a couple of pubs that have some nice food. With prices that aren’t bad for the area.

BUT you may suffer some sticker shock prices here may seem a bit higher than you are used to. But the price you see is all you are expected to pay.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, floridababa said:

When I'm in Sydney I visit the Icebergers Club at Bondi and have lunch enjoying the spectacular view.

I also have lunch at the RSL Club North Bondi at the other end of Bondi Beach.  Anyone can visit Clubs as long as you aren't a resident of that area, when you need to be a Member.  Lunch at Clubs is always good value. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

When I'm in Sydney I visit the Icebergers Club at Bondi and have lunch enjoying the spectacular view.

I also have lunch at the RSL Club North Bondi at the other end of Bondi Beach.  Anyone can visit Clubs as long as you aren't a resident of that area, when you need to be a Member.  Lunch at Clubs is always good value. 

I lived in the Eastern Suburbs, Matraville and Waverley on and off, 60's and 70's. Used to frequent the Bondi Icebergs, was not as flash as it is now. Also the North Bondi Rissole, Watsons Bay pub, East Leagues, Souths Juniors, Matraville Rissole, Clovelly Bowlo, every where. It was clubland back then. I remember when a schooner of Tooheys New was 15 cents, back then. What is it now? $6 in the club, probably $8 in a flash pub.

Edited by NSWP

7 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Floridababa, this is what is available at the Easts League Club at Bondi Junction, which is a short train ride from Sydney CBD. The licensed clubs welcome visitors providing they don't reside in the local area. They are able to provide cheap meals from their profits from poker (slots) machines.

EBJ_LunchSpecials_SQ.jpg

Chips with everyfink. Cheap as Chips. Used to frequent that club in the 70's. 

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

If you think you can learn something here from us Lyle,
You are a true Texan.

Knowledge is good thing Chili separating the the kernel from the chaff is the key and you seem to have a serious problem with geography. I'm nowhere near that puny state. My province does border the largest US State though, I have been there but not Texas

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I'm doing a Texas crutch on a Bolar Blade beef roast at the moment. 5 hours to get it to 65C internal, now another 3 hours to get it finished.

I don’t like the bolar  cut ,seems a bit tasteless.

Preferably Rump if you Mortgage  you house.

But Blade roast is the best value. I quite often just buy a blade roast and cut it up for stew or stirfry.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Knowledge is good thing Chili separating the the kernel from the chaff is the key and you seem to have a serious problem with geography. I'm nowhere near that puny state. My province does border the largest US State though, I have been there but not Texas

Sydney accomodation?

How we going Lyle?

This is the ANZ forums holiday not yours and I’m thinking a serviced apartment for you.

It will have a kitchen and supermarkets near by and you can catch the street car (light rail) to the sydney fish market for some good Local seafood 

• Thanks 1

@Blackduck59

Google Sydney fish markets, it’s the second biggest Market in the world next to Tokyo.

It can get a bit smelly but for me as a ex fisherman it brings back memories.

When I was a professional fisherman based In cairns my cat used to eat seafood I can only dream of now.

here’s a couple of photos of me 40 years ago.image.thumb.jpg.dde399236ccdcc318ad81efce105e044.jpg

Edited by Chiliburn

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Was DT from Texas?

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

I'm doing a Texas crutch on a Bolar Blade beef roast at the moment. 5 hours to get it to 65C internal, now another 3 hours to get it finished.

Crikey a crutch? Sound too technical. i am heating up a Woolworths frozen cottage pie, lol. 

Edited by NSWP