I’m giving up

jdixon0631

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

So, in your opinion cruising will not resume until March 13, 2022?   Or do you just consider it a "cruise lockdown" until there are zero restrictions and cruising can be like it was in 2019?

I don't have any insider info about when cruising will resume....but any ship sailing would be closer to a 2 year hiatus than a 1 year hiatus...imho.

I won't put any more money into cruising unless I can "cruise my way"!  Again...no idea when this will be.  But, I'd rather stay home and walk around maskless than deal with restrictions.

The farther in the past cruising is for me, the less important it has become.

• Like 3

We have already had 3 cancellations and waiting on refunds. Now we have 2 scheduled for July and September. Just wait game on those 2 now.   We have no plans on rebooking anytime soon. We won’t lose any money unless the last 2 don’t cancel. 

19 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't have any insider info about when cruising will resume....but any ship sailing would be closer to a 2 year hiatus than a 1 year hiatus...imho.

So in your opinion, the test cruises will not start until September 14, 2021 at the earliest, putting it closer to the two year blanket statement that you previously mentioned in the thread.

14 hours ago, jdixon0631 said:

We have had 7 cruises canceled. $4500 is tied up right now. 

23 minutes ago, jdixon0631 said:

We have already had 3 cancellations and waiting on refunds. Now we have 2 scheduled for July and September. Just wait game on those 2 now.   We have no plans on rebooking anytime soon. We won’t lose any money unless the last 2 don’t cancel. 

Little confused here....you started off the thread saying you had 7 cancellations and 4500 tied up.  

Now it's 3 cancellations waiting on refunds and 2 future reservations.   I can possibly  see 900 per reservation tied up to equal the 4500, but how do you get from 7 cancellations in post #1 to only 3 cancellations now?

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Little confused here....you started off the thread saying you had 7 cancellations and 4500 tied up.  

Now it's 3 cancellations waiting on refunds and 2 future reservations.   I can possibly  see 900 per reservation tied up to equal the 4500, but how do you get from 7 cancellations in post #1 to only 3 cancellations now?

hit the wrong number in my 1st post. Crown was typing that night

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I gave up too. I had several cancelled without rebooking. I'm just asking for refunds as more are cancelled. If om counting on those 600  $$ to cruise then I probably shouldn't be  cruising in the first place.  I've been on 100s of cruises and it's funny that I am missing it less and less. 

14 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Just rebook for further into the future.. I don't see why anyone would give up the OBC or package deals carnival is handing out right now. Plan a different vacation for this year and cruise next year.

Unlike the Fed, cruise lines cannot simply print more money when needed. They have bled profusely over the last year. At some point, it's game over. What will be the value of that OBC and fares paid then?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

So in your opinion, the test cruises will not start until September 14, 2021 at the earliest, putting it closer to the two year blanket statement that you previously mentioned in the thread.

Sorry to disappoint...but I don't have insider information. If a 3 night cruise from Miami to a private island counts...with lots of restrictions....as a start...then maybe Sept 14, 2021.  

I think NCL and RCL have decided that all crew members should vaccinated. Carnival has not made a decision. If the CDC requires a cruise to end due to x number of positive cases on a cruise, I would be very upset if my cruise ended due to a covid outbreak in the crew. To vaccinate all crew members will take time and delay the start. More delays will create financial issues with additional debt and stock dilution to obtain cash infusions. I have $1300 of my own money at Carnival and a $600 obc. We will continue to see delays and they will dribble in in 3 month increments. The cruise lines have more knowledge than they pretend to have from the CDC. If they were up front with information, it would kill their marketing plan, cruise deposit cash flow and the enthusiasm some people have for the immediate return of cruising. The cruise lines will continue to spin false hope and deflect blame to the CDC. The CDC has no control over the closed ports outside the US. If you have a cruise booked this year, you have contributed, like me, to their cash flow and will ensure additional cancellations. We may cruise again in early 2022 with fewer cruise lines and ships available. I hope I am wrong, but I am losing hope.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CRocks said:

Unlike the Fed, cruise lines cannot simply print more money when needed. They have bled profusely over the last year. At some point, it's game over. What will be the value of that OBC and fares paid then?

They've been selling old ships and stock. Carnival is in fine shape and could last probably the rest of the year with no cruises.. if them holding 500 bucks of yours is too much then lose out on the OBC. I'll take full advantage of the great offers though.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, SNJCruisers said:

That's why you book cruises with refundable deposits, so you don't get 4500 tied up with the carrot on the stick of 600 in OBC

Before this mess started, nobody every thought when they were booking a cruise that this would happen.  People booked a cruise thinking that they would be on it.  In some cases, like ours, we booked a cruise that we were 98% sure that we would be on it.  At the time of booking, we were surprised that the down payment was reduced.  Had we been able to see into the future, we wouldn't have booked it that way.

Luckily for us, the cruise was cancelled before final payment was due and we got all of our money back.  

In my case, it is Bad News/ Good News.  The Bad News is that I have $1,300 in Carnival Gift Cards purchased a considerable time ago when you could get discounts on the gift card purchases.  If Carnival goes under, I figure they are saw dust any way.  I had 2 cruises cancelled but still have one booked for January, 2022 with an obc of $650.  When my final payment of $971.64 comes due in September, I might as well use the gift cards to pay for it.  Nothing to lose at this point but even now, I have my doubts about that cruise actually taking place.  Have completed 23 Carnival cruises and have seen nothing close to what is happening now.  Makes for exciting times.

• Like 1

We have decided to move 2 of our cruises to 2022, with all the OBC and incentives included.  The other one we just got a refund, since it was an early saver fare (which we normally never book), so decided it was good to get that deposit refunded.  As far as sailing next year who knows if they will go forward or not, but at least we have a plan in place after not cruising for 2 years.  Ironically our first cruise scheduled for 2022 is on 3/13/22, just released it is 2 years since the lockdown first started, lol.  Maybe that is a good omen for cruising to resume.  

On 3/13/2021 at 9:04 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

My opinion....if they want to sail with restrictions, let them.  It will help the cruiselines smooth things out. 

I don't get the logic.  If everyone needs to be vaccinated...and tested....why should there be restrictions?  Statistically...the chance of contracting and spreading is infinitesimally small. 

Because we still have Americans dying at alarming rates. When we can report no deaths in one full day due to the Virus then the restrictions may be eased a bit.

Be patient cruisers.  

17 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Because we still have Americans dying at alarming rates. When we can report no deaths in one full day due to the Virus then the restrictions may be eased a bit.

Be patient cruisers.  

People die from the flu also.  Should we have no restrictions until there are no deaths from the flu? 

For the past year, I didn't live....I existed.  I plan on living.

Vaccines will improve; treatments will improve.

I'm a breast cancer survivor.  Statistically, here's a higher risk for a recurrence of that than a vaccinated person contracting covid, and a fraction of that for someone dying from covid.

• Like 8

We will have restrictions until the CDC and current administration says so. I wished it was not true, but it is a simple fact regardless of how the public feels. As long as our President wears two mask, why should we expect change in the restrictions anytime soon. Cruising is toast until these things change.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ledges1 said:

We will have restrictions until the CDC and current administration says so. I wished it was not true, but it is a simple fact regardless of how the public feels. As long as our President wears two mask, why should we expect change in the restrictions anytime soon. Cruising is toast until these things change.

True statement.  And each cruise line is 1 month closer to liquidation/bankruptcy/whatever as this drags on, and on, and on.  Some say 'They're too big to fail'....those are 5 pretty scary words when grouped together...and are being tested and stretched further and further as this shutdown continues.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 2:21 AM, jdixon0631 said:

I have decided to give up on rebooking till cruises actually start sailing.  I’m sick and tired of the obc bait to rebook. We have had 7 cruises canceled. $4500 is tied up right now. We will book a cruise after carnival actually starts to sail without restrictions, if that ever happens 

cant blame you for that. Doesnt make much sense to spend your time booking new trips that dont end up happening. We're waiting until things are moving and we see what sailings look like.

AIs are a great way to go right now. Open for business. Almost no mandates. Been great the past year for us. 

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

People die from the flu also.  Should we have no restrictions until there are no deaths from the flu? 

For the past year, I didn't live....I existed.  I plan on living.

Vaccines will improve; treatments will improve.

I'm a breast cancer survivor.  Statistically, here's a higher risk for a recurrence of that than a vaccinated person contracting covid, and a fraction of that for someone dying from covid.

I meant..." should we have restrictions until....?"

On 3/13/2021 at 12:21 AM, jdixon0631 said:

I have decided to give up on rebooking till cruises actually start sailing.  I’m sick and tired of the obc bait to rebook. We have had 7 cruises canceled. $4500 is tied up right now. We will book a cruise after carnival actually starts to sail without restrictions, if that ever happens 

Seems like this is where your money is going:

Carnival CEO Donalds Compensation Rose

On 3/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, edspec said:

Love the placebo mask line :):)

I laughed too because that is what the CDC says about masks. Not going to repeat their "we don't know what we are talking about" mentality on masks. As for having money tied up, I do feel sorry for those that had it happen. I chose not to play the 125% FCC game with RCL. When I saw a future cruise at a great price, I just moved my cruise knowing it would be canceled. Every time RCL canceled a month, those future cruises skyrocketed in price. Doing it my way, I moved my bookings as cash and not FCC. This way I could get a refund instead of credit. The problem with many people with this cruise credit thing, the prices of cruises are so much higher that they will have to pay even more for the same cruise with less being offered. Cruise lines will be cutting EVERY corner they can: food quality even at specialty restaurants, entertainment, activities, increasing prices on the nickel and diming. If they can reduce the quality or charge for improved quality, they will. 

13 hours ago, ano said:

Seems like this is where your money is going:

Carnival CEO Donalds Compensation Rose

This is how it always works with Execs. They are never affected by downturns like this. Yes their salary went down, but $12.23M vs $7.1M in stock. Let that sink in for a moment. $7.1M translates to ~142,000 shares based on the 12/30/2019 stock price. The $12.23M translates to ~565,000 shares based on the 12/28/20202 stock price. But, those stock compensation were most likely the $8/share CCL dumped out way back when which would make this over 2.5x shares or 1.4M shares. Those would already translate to a compensation of nearly $40M at current stock prices just for the 2020 stock as compensation. That is not what that article states though. They never talk about the strike price of the stock compensation.