The Daily for Saturday Mar 13, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Meiomi aka Mama Mia is one of our house wines,  too;  very easy to drink red!  

If I am ever in your neck of the woods I want one of those mushroom burgers!   Here’s my favourite so far from California, Paso Robles area. 

7F10F955-D0BF-4944-A6ED-4651F6499BB3.jpeg

Now that's a burger! Love California's central coast; San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach, Grover Beach, Atascadero, Shell Beach, Avila Beach and the hot springs there, I can keep on going! I proposed to Maria some moons ago in the Madonna Inn in SLO. Been spending a long weekend in Pismo every December since. HAL should think about a regular central cost itinerary, you can add Santa Barbara, from either L.A. or San Fran with a PSA stop in either Canada or Mexico   

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Since I don't wear a belt I use a similar thing that hangs from a cord around my neck under my shirt for my "bank" unless I keep it in the safe on the ship.  The money I almost lost was my day money and 1 credit card. 

I wear the one with the belt around the waist as I too don’t wear belts.   The cord on the neck often shows and could be grabbed while the one at the waist is completely invisible.  

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Now that's a burger! Love California's central coast; San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach, Grover Beach, Atascadero, Shell Beach, Avila Beach and the hot springs there, I can keep on going! I proposed to Maria some moons ago in the Madonna Inn in SLO. Been spending a long weekend in Pismo every December since. HAL should think about a regular central cost itinerary, you can add Santa Barbara, from either L.A. or San Fran with a PSA stop in either Canada or Mexico   

Ooh, the Madonna In. With the mile high cakes!  Such a cool place, we visited years ago and then more recently, hadn’t changed.  And those fancy washrooms aka restrooms!  
Love that area,  we’re thinking next time we could spend several weeks in that area!  Maybe meet you for a burger or cake?  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Ooh, the Madonna In. With the mile high cakes!  Such a cool place, we visited years ago and then more recently, hadn’t changed.  And those fancy washrooms aka restrooms!  
Love that area,  we’re thinking next time we could spend several weeks in that area!  Maybe meet you for a burger or cake?  

Let me know; haven't been able to go up there during the last two Decembers; we're overdue. Try AJ Spurs in Grover Beach right off Hwy 1 and El Camino Real for a good meal 

https://www.ajspurs.com/

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I wear the one with the belt around the waist as I too don’t wear belts.   The cord on the neck often shows and could be grabbed while the one at the waist is completely invisible.  

I do the same.  I've thought the same thing about the cord around the neck, easy to grab and too obvious.

• Like 7

If you clicked on the photo link for today's alternate meal suggestion you may have noticed the dishes were a bit different and the plating did not meet HAL standards.  I was a bit fuzzy about why I had dined in the lido until I went back to my blog.  2 years ago today the Prinsendam visited Alter do Chao.  It sits several miles up the Tapajós., a tributary of the Amazon.  Near the confluence with the Amazon was Santarem, and the Veendam was there that day.

In his sailaway message Captain Jeroen  indicated we would be passing the veendam about 6, and that the final meeting of the two as HAL ships would not be perfunctory.  Of course I did not want to happen while I was in the dining room so I told my table I would join them only for desert and headed up to the Lido for most of my meal.  We came in sight of the Veendam just after 6 and I got my last look at her as we entered the Amazon just after 6.  In between there was a LOT of tooting, sailaway addicts would be very impressed.   These photos were originally part of collages and are posted in the order they were taken:

veenb.JPG.cc1d006ac5f4b1681717020f0ffd15af.JPG

veend.JPG.93239bf28304db6ea5d4a1e8d1f3e483.JPG

Lots of people on Veendam's forward and aft decks and lots of camera flashes in evidence

foredeck.JPG.ae8dc714608a0c3e6711e07903b9bc5d.JPG

uglydeck.JPG.38c9f5e3d6ae04c37855f52e41b0916d.JPGveena.JPG.f87d763ecd08b81bff1b2e3d5c4fc4c9.JPG

veenc.JPG.9fac7a7b874eb495aa9238c995f7f7c5.JPG

Roy

• Like 23

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I do the same.  I've thought the same thing about the cord around the neck, easy to grab and too obvious.

Trying not to get too personal here but....I loop the cord around my bra strap instead of around my neck if I am wearing a top where it would show. This way the cord does not show. 

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Allen was robbed in Barcelona marketplace. He had double velcro pockets and never felt a thing.

They're so quick and stealthy, I'm not surprised.  I watched a Rick Steves video last year about pick pockets.  Very informative.  

3 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Trying not to get too personal here but....I loop the cord around my bra strap instead of around my neck if I am wearing a top where it would show. This way the cord does not show. 

Good idea.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, bennybear said:

That is  also what I do now, following an alcohol induced experience in Italy. 

Several (many!) years ago we were travelling to Florence for a long weekend and I placed money and credit cards into this new 'Bum Bag' that I bought at Gatwick Airport.  The flight from Gatwick to Florence was by a small Italian airline (Meridiana ??) with really first class service even in economy.  Beautiful mini pizzas, salamis, cheeses and all sorts of goodies served with an endless supply of red wine.  I was in heaven!  So much so that I removed the bum bag and hung it over the arm rest of the seat (where it would be close to hand and easy to retrieve on landing 🤡).  By the time we arrived at Florence airport I was totally 'relaxed' and we exited the plane and headed in to the terminal. We passed through Immigration and headed to the luggage carousel to pick up our bag.  It was just as I pulled our bag from the carousel that I realized that I had left the Bum Bag entwined around the arm rest.   Aggghhhhhhhhh!!   Trying to re-enter the baggage hall was impossible and trying to explain to the Police was just as bad.  Just then I noticed a small, middle aged women walking around the carousel shouting something in Italian and holding my Bum Bag above her head!!  Bless her!  She was one of the cleaning crew for the flight and had discovered my bag as she had been cleaning the plane .  She asked to see my boarding card to confirm the seat number and we were reunited with our holiday fund! 

After that, I never, ever, ever, used a Bum Bag again!

• Like 21

Great to see Copper 10-8 posting again. I am hoping that he will be a daily contribuiter again.

Good to see that Canada is finally opening up for Covid vaccines. Congrats to @ger_77 getting DH scheduled.

I used to wear fanny paks whenever we went to games at either Dodger Stadium or Anaheim stadium and of course everytime I took my kids to Disneyland. Never wore them when on an excursion outside the United States.

Have a good day all you dailyites.

Jane

• Like 11

I'm going to try something here that I hope I can pull off.  I have photos on 2 laptops on 2 rooms that I hope I can get into this post before the edit window closes.  I got my first "glimpse" of the Rotterdam on AIS this morning.  Well, not actually the Rotterdam but one of her tenders and I assume that was at the location where the ship is.  Apparently the AIS was turned off when I looked so when I tried to close in the image disappeared.  The first map is the area with the spot where the ship is circled.  The second shows the tender in place.  I suspect the ship AIS will not be hooked up until shortly before sea trials start, as they still seem to be working on the wiring.

Capture.JPG.f1fee919f53fb3c2164462c55b106a34.JPG

and

Capture.thumb.JPG.63fa4989149cb01150672ab149bece60.JPG

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Add photo
  • Like 12

18 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

That’s where I carry my things. Only have a small bill for coffee or purchases in my pocket or hand. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm going to try something here that I hope I can pull off.  I have photos on 2 laptops on 2 rooms that I hope I can get into this post before the edit window closes.  I got my first "glimpse" of the Rotterdam on AIS this morning.  Well, not actually the Rotterdam but one of her tenders and I assume that was at the location where the ship is.  Apparently the AIS was turned off when I looked so when I tried to close in the image disappeared.  The first map is the area with the spot where the ship is circled.  The second shows the tender in place.  I suspect the ship AIS will not be hooked up until shortly before sea trials start, as they still seem to be working on the wiring.

Capture.JPG.f1fee919f53fb3c2164462c55b106a34.JPG

Capture.thumb.JPG.63fa4989149cb01150672ab149bece60.JPG

Roy

Working on a Saturday afternoon??  They must be really trying to keep to the scheduled dates.

Thanks for posting this information.  Really exciting.

• Like 5

😵 We're usually on "High Alert" in towns that are known to have a reputation for having a "College for Pickpockets" 🤪 .....we've seen the clipboards with a so-called survey in a few ports, too. I've read about the tricks --outsmarting pickpockets and thieves on a Rick Steves blog. ✏️

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Working on a Saturday afternoon??  They must be really trying to keep to the scheduled dates.

Thanks for posting this information.  Really exciting.

Actually no.  I took the screenshots early this morning and had a busy day before posting so they probably installed the tender late Friday afternoon.

In the blue panel at the bottom of the second shot I just saw a time "Received at 06:30 2021-03-21 UTC, so the position is from Friday morning.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Actually no.  I took the screenshots early this morning and had a busy day before posting so they probably installed the tender late Friday afternoon.

Roy

Late Friday afternoon is good by Italian standards! 🙂

• Like 6

Over here a Black Russian has Guinness added.

Guinness black Russian

Pour 25ml coffee liqueur, 25ml of vodka and 100ml cola into a tall glass with ice. Stir gently just to combine, top with 100ml stout and a wedge of lime to serve.
(Serves 1)

DSC_0573.jpg

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 13

When our HAL bags were too worn to use on cruises, we got a couple of PacSafe bags that are just slightly larger than the HAL bags.  These have the no cut straps and sides, and they are cross body.  You can even hook the zipper pull to side of the bag, and lock it down where it can't be opened.  It does work as it takes me a while to get the tab unhooked.  In some ports, we have a pouch that hooks to a belt and then goes under our clothes.  Since I don't wear belts, I use a safety pin to secure it to my pants or shorts.

Twice, DH had someone attempt to pick his pocket.  The first time was on a bus in Palermo, and he felt the guys hand reach in his pocket.  After the guy realized he was caught, DH reached in his pocket and pulled out the contents and asked the guy if he wanted them. -- pieces of hard candy and tissues.  The would be pick pocket got off at the next stop, and the other riders almost cheered.  The second attempt was on the metro in Rome, and DH called the guy out.  He got off at the next station.

Lenda

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Now, a question for those who might know.  Width of the fridge is 35.85 inches.  The opening I have is 36.25 inches.  Am I ok?   It will be tight, but I think we can do it if we steer it in correctly.

I think you will be okay. It’s the depth that you have to worry about. You don’t want it too far into your kitchen area but you also need the space behind the fridge. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

You are absolutely correct. I must have had brain freeze from too much soda bread and thoughts of what to fix for St. Patrick's Day! Good gin nevertheless....

Fred, it is impossible to have too much soda bread. 

If we should meet again on a Dam ship, remind me to bring you a bottle of our favourite Irish Gin..

drumshanbo.jpg

• Like 9

Today was a bit of a milestone.  On Saturday mornings I get groceries at one of our stores and then get oatmeal at Panera on the way back.  In the fall I would eat it at one of their outdoor tables but it has been all takeout since December.  Now that I'm fully vaccinated I ate in an indoor dining room for the first time since returning from last year's cruises about March 20.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 23