Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage

0313World.thumb.png.eb6976ba97c46c7b053e6ffb43df84cd.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to @Copper10-8on K9 Veterans Day.  Also Genealogy.   Never been a fanny pack person.  Great quote.  Country Ribs sounds nice; my alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast, and Blueberry Pie Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam March 13,  2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes13.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Cunnorl’s BIL still hospitalized

Mary229's friend Rachel with breast cancer

Mamaofami and DH

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome back Copper10-8

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for KirkNC

Improvement for Cunnorl BIL

This community for 51 weeks

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  It's a bright sunny Saturday morning here, possible flurries this evening.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

A big salute to all K9 Vets.  Not a fan of fanny packs.

Another great quote.

The dinner suggestions sound great - I'll check the freezer to see what I can make.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

I loved our cruise to Norway, but we did not stop in Molde.

Sending prayers for all.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll happily celebrate K9 Veterans Day and give a big salute for the caregivers of these wonderful dogs after they are retired.  So a toast to all of them including Copper & my vet’s family (her husband is a K9 officer) who give these wonderful dogs a forever home.

Love that quote by Butler 😄   Meal suggestion sounds good but it’s soccer day so I think it may be chicken wings tonight.

Haven’t had a Black Russian in decades.  IIRC they can be pretty wicked!

Looking forward to hearing about this port in Norway since we won’t be visiting until next year.

While he might not be a K9, he was in protection mode and deserves to tell his story IMO 😉 

685582E7-B476-4274-8A6E-D196F5AD0AD6.thumb.jpeg.e9294935572e7c1ee4eca5c3a97877c3.jpeg

Spring is coming so just a friendly reminder:

4B366B3A-560C-429B-81C0-D1E1EF914214.thumb.jpeg.34b364c4701b6e7cea3c1d4937826f0d.jpeg

I don’t know about you, but this is how I feel about moving my clocks forward:

0775D84E-CDAE-4B18-A6BF-E9CE09199FFB.jpeg.2015af8771340dae390819bea5ed8066.jpeg

Had a great Saturday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks.

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@bennybear

Brenda, you did not specify which day this weekend was your birthday, so Happy Birthday Weekend to you! Hope it is filled with laughter, love & good health!

C6E8FECC-A1C8-4BE0-A0F4-F56B42843ACA.jpeg

Aren’t you clever on a Happy Birthday weekend. 😄 

Happy Birthday @bennybearwhichever day it may be this weekend.

• Like 15

Good morning, everyone.

I hope all the birthday celebrations yesterday were fabulous!  Mrs. @VMax1700's tea looked scrumptious.  Roy, I was thinking of you all during your difficult day.  I know you must have felt the warmth of this community over the distance.  

Genealogy Day hits home.  I have spent quite a bit of time traveling through Ireland doing the ancestor search.  They came from the Abbeyfeal area right where Limerick, Cork and Kerry meet.  Also spent some time in the Czech Republic visiting the town where my grandfather was born.  I dragged my mom and dad along on that one.  

I am interested in hearing about Molde.  I was supposed to go there last summer, but we know what happened there.  If this September's cruise is cancelled, the replacement in 2022 goes to Molde.  

I guess I am going appliance shopping.  The question is:  Do I get a new washer to go with the dryer?  The washer isn't quite as old, but there were two instances when it leaked water all over the floor.  I had it looked at after the second and it was pronounced fit, but........

Tonight's meal is a slow cooker one, so very easy.   Lots of suggestions for jazzing it up and a bit of discord over whether enhancements are acceptable or not in the comments.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/country-ribs-dinner/

Country Ribs.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dfish said:

I guess I am going appliance shopping.  The question is:  Do I get a new washer to go with the dryer?  The washer isn't quite as old, but there were two instances when it leaked water all over the floor.  I had it looked at after the second and it was pronounced fit, but........

If the washer is nearly 38 years old too (I think that was the age you said your dryer was), if it were me, I would be replacing both of them.

It reaches a point where the maintenance and stress is just not worth the continual fix.  Plus, you will find that your new washer and dryer are much more energy efficient.  Pretty sure you will see a nice difference in your energy bill.  I sure did.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, kazu said:

If the washer is nearly 38 years old too (I think that was the age you said your dryer was), if it were me, I would be replacing both of them.

It reaches a point where the maintenance and stress is just not worth the continual fix.  Plus, you will find that your new washer and dryer are much more energy efficient.  Pretty sure you will see a nice difference in your energy bill.  I sure did.

I think that is the prudent way to go.   So, I'll get a nice matched set.

• Like 16

Good  morning everyone.  It  is  a  sunny  but  chilly  day  here after  several  great  days  in  the  high  sixties. I  salute all  the  days  except  Fanny Pack Day. My  cousin  was  able  to  trace  our  Swedish  relatives  back  to  the  14th century. It  is  amazing  to  see documents(copies )from  those  times. My  father  traced  his  family  back  to  Cork  and  Galway to  a  lesser  degree.Does  anyone  else  watch  the  PBS  show "Finding  Your  Roots" ? It  can  be  very emotional  to  learn  more  about  one's  ancestors.

I  am  looking  forward  to  learning  about Molde,Norway.         Terry

• Like 21

Happy Saturday. Thank you Rich for the Daily.

Roy I know you must have had a difficult day. Your friends here have all been pulling for you and it's got to be comforting in some way.

Good morning sweet sisters. Yesterday was so nice. A beautiful day, went to the nursery for more flowers. Out to lunch with friends. We got there about 1:30, in between lunch and happy hour. We had the whole patio to ourselves til happy hour started.

Our firepit burner arrived a week early! Now Claudio and his guys can finish our patio. Hoping he orders the pergola soon and starts replacing dead plants from our unexpected storm.

Today we are going golf cart shopping. We don't golf but in Sun City there's lots of spots to go with your wine and cheese and enjoy the sunset or stop by several restaurants. Any ideas on what to get? Gas? Battery? Lithium battery? 

Have a great weekend.  Prayers and Cheers

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Our K-9 vet heroes should be celebrated. Hope they each get an extra Greenie! Though I enjoyed reading about my Geneology, I have never conducted research. I do have a cousin who researched her Dad’s & my Mom’s line back to 16th century England. But it got very confusing near the end. Fun read, though. I have never owned a Fanny pack, perhaps because I have always packed enough of a Fanny on my own. 

Roy, I agree with Debbie, I hope the caring and warmth of this community helped you yesterday & the days to come. Thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters!

Jackie thank you for the Oprah interview pic. He was just protecting his territory. @dfish, if you replace one, you should replace both.  Just an FYI, my appliance repair guru says that the only items of LG that he would recommend are their washer & dryer. 

Great quote. Love Roy’s meal suggestion. I am not sure I have ever had a Black Russian before. I had a great lunch with the visiting member of my Gang of 8 from my Hawaii cruise. I had Pink Sangria with strawberries, dragon fruit, lychee, white wine & champagne. It was amazing. Since I have never had a lychee nut, I am not sure how that changed the taste - but it was tasty! And it is so amazing how you can just pick up the friendship after not seeing one another for 18 months. Roll Calls are wonderful things! Tonight I will be visiting a local restaurant for the best mushroom Swiss burger near me & wine.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This is one of my favorite Pinot Noirs. Another wine I usually have at least one of in the house. The reviews focus on the 2017 vintage, and I found that online for around $19.99. But I usually buy it on sale for less. If you are willing to wait a bit, both the 2018 & 2019 share the same rating and are in the $15 range. If you are a PN fan, this is a good one to try.

Winemaker Notes

A rich garnet color with a ruby edge, the wine opens to reveal lifted fruit aromas of bright strawberry and jammy fruit, mocha, and vanilla, along with toasty oak notes. Expressive boysenberry, blackberry, dark cherry, juicy strawberry, and toasty mocha flavors lend complexity and depth on the palate. The well-integrated oak provides structure and depth seldom seen in Pinot Noir.

Meiomi Pinot Noir has a consistent profile of supple tannins, silky texture, and balanced acidity that makes it the perfect wine to enjoy with a wide array of food. It pairs particularly well with tomato-based pasta dishes, thin-crust pizza, grilled lamb, and turkey
TP92 Wine.com’s Tasting Panel: Soft berry nose; spicy, rich and long. A crisp, clean blend from three important appellations (Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Sonoma), each of which imparts a special character. Aged six months in 100% French oak.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Over the years I've had the pleasure of knowing a number of K9 vets and their handlers, and would welcome any of them into my home for a visit.  I've never been a fan of fanny packs - as someone else mentioned, I have enough of a fanny of my own to deal with!  Re: genealogy, I was never very interested until I started delving into my Metis history.  With a lot of hours, books, etc., I was able to trace my family back to the late 1500's in France.

We've not been to Norway, but friends of ours have and they said it's quite beautiful.  Perhaps one day.  On the other hand, I've enjoyed Black Russians, but that was in my younger days and just a word to the wise - they creep up on you!

@rafinmd, I kept you in my heart yesterday, knowing it was going to be a tough day for you.

I like today's menu suggestion (again, love Roy's selection), but don't have any ribs in the "ice cave".  Next grocery run will include some so I can put this recipe together.  @dfish I did chuckle looking at the comments - some people are just purists, I guess!  Now that it's getting warmer, we're having to clear things out of the ice cave, and there's a chicken carcass needing to be made into soup today.  That and some crusty bread will be what's happening for our dinner tonight.  And wine.

On a happy note - in about an hour I'll be going online to book DH's first jab.  They opened the bookings for those 76+, so we'll get him an appointment for whatever vaccine they've got.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

Happy Saturday. We have several K-9 officers in our neighborhood,  I thank them everyday. Did some genealogy research many years ago.  Wore fanny packs, but can't seem to find them after our last move.  The meal sounds wonderful but we had ribs on Tuesday.  Great quote.  I can't wait to see the Rotterdam on your maps Rich.  Roy, thank you for the reminder about @Copper10-8 being a K-9 officer.

I agree with Kazu, new set.

Sailor, we've had both a gas and electric golf cart.  We prefer electric, no trips to the gas station needed.  Plus the gas has a tendency to lurch when it first moved and I didn't like that.  Ours is a Club Car.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Black Russian:

Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz (5 parts) Vodka, 2/3 oz (2 parts) Coffee liqueur
Preparation: Pour the ingredients into an old fashioned glass filled with ice cubes. Stir gently.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 8.06.23 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Morning everyone.  Today I have a day off from posting photos, since our visit to Molde, Norway was cancelled by HAL last summer.  We would have been there on June 9, 2020 on Veendam.  @dfishis that the same cruise you were scheduled on?  I don't have another Molde visit booked for 2022 so will have that to look forward to sometime in the future.  I'll put it on the "list".  @ger_77I highly recommend visiting Norway by cruise ship.  Have you ever heard anyone say they didn't like their Norway cruise??  No!  It's beautiful!  

@dfishcount me in as a vote to replace both machines.  We had a dryer once that took too long to dry anything, and then the washer started to unexpectedly get hung up on the fill cycle and overflow occasionally.  What a nightmare!  You just can't trust a machine like that anymore and it becomes stressful so get both of them at the same time and enjoy your pretty new matched set.

@Seasick Sailorin our Sun City we are required to have battery operated golf carts.  The only gasoline powered ones are from the golf club drink carts that roam around selling drinks to golfers on a hot day.  

This weekend my sweet grandson is in North Carolina with his Daddy watching and supporting his soccer team as they play in a tournament there.  DS sent me a photo of our injured player wearing his arm sling, sitting in the hotel lobby with 6 other teammates playing cards, all wearing masks.  They looked like they were all having a great time together.  Go Tigers!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Never liked Fanny Packs- cant believe they have their own day!  A big salute to K9`s and their handlers and a very warm thank you for all they do.

DS is going to help a neighbor do a practice run for a beach tent. Not complicated but he is concerned so DS told him no problem.  

Stay safe and enjoy this day.

• Like 19

22 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Morning everyone.  Today I have a day off from posting photos, since our visit to Molde, Norway was cancelled by HAL last summer.  We would have been there on June 9, 2020 on Veendam.  @dfishis that the same cruise you were scheduled on?  I don't have another Molde visit booked for 2022 so will have that to look forward to sometime in the future.  I'll put it on the "list".  @ger_77I highly recommend visiting Norway by cruise ship.  Have you ever heard anyone say they didn't like their Norway cruise??  No!  It's beautiful!  

No, we were on the Nieuw Statendam right around the same time.  Currently, we're booked on the Rotterdam for September 12-26, 2021.   Holding my breath on that one.  It is a great itinerary and really hits the fjord towns.   We are more nature than city, so it fits our bill.  Plenty of opportunities to do some relaxed hikes and perhaps kayak.  

• Like 14

On the first leg of our VOV cruise we missed several ports due to weather. Molde was a last minute stop. It is a beautiful city, called City of Roses. We walked around with another couple (Hi Barbara and Allan) and then went into a restaurant. 
My DH still says it was the most expensive beer and club sandwich he has ever had! 😁

• Like 16

Good morning all!

We had quite a lightening and thunder show last night. I finally managed to fall asleep so I’m not sure how long it lasted, but our hole of the golf course is looking pretty soggy this morning.

I used to love fanny packs for travel, but my daughter refused to let me wear one when we traveled to London (Anne: “no mother, please don’t wear that, eww.) I got out of the habit, but then found a really neat one in a fair trade shop (Concalma) in San Juan PR and it became my go-to for shore excursions (I will try to add a picture). Now that I have ALS I may go back to my fanny packs; I need my hands free for my cane and for balance.

All the food and wine sounds delicious. I’m not a fan of Black Russians though. I am a crazy big coffee drinker, but I don’t like coffee in other things. I hate coffee ice cream, Coffee Nips, and not a fan of iced coffee either. 

Haven’t been to today’s port. 

Prayers for those on the care list and a happy day for all celebrating.

St Louis Sal

5D332730-4201-4C76-A945-ED9CF5B8BFA5.jpeg

C3910FE7-F4CC-4872-900E-AD2630CD1121.jpeg

• Like 24

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  The meal suggestion sounds good. Have no idea what dinner will be but I know where to get good ribs.  March is truly a cruel month.  The past three days were wonderful and yesterday felt great doing some yard work outside.  Today it feels like January is making a comeback.

• Like 15

Good morning -- having to catch up since I was so busy this week. 🤷‍♀️. Will be putting in some weekend hours as well...  I do try to read daily though, and I am especially liking the port of the day. So many new places to think about visiting... I look forward to learning more about Molde.

A big salute to our K9 veterans today!

11 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Never liked Fanny Packs- cant believe they have their own day! 

Maybe it's more of a cautionary day, like a warning. As in "just say no".  When my ex-DH and I went to Rome for a week, I warned him about pickpockets, but he insisted that as a lifelong New Yorker and one with a high degree of situational awareness, he would be fine. 

Well -- on our arrival day, the very first walk we took outside our hotel after a quick rest, we found ourselves surrounded by the "gypsy" children on the Spanish Steps. Before you could say bob's your uncle they had surrounded him and used a flattened piece of cardboard against his torso while below it they were busy trying to open the zipper on his fanny pack.  Luckily he was strong enough and quick enough to push them off, and loud and angry enough to scare them away. But he did learn his lesson -- no more fanny pack.

I've never been that into genealogy; others in the family have researched it and I could find out more but -- meh.

I feel Black Russians are under-appreciated and deserve either a comeback or a makeover. The wine is a solid one, not my favorite pinot noir but very widely liked.

I'll leave it at that for today as I have a lot to catch up on this morning at home as well...

• Like 16