Sunday on Oceania Cruises

Host Jazzbeau

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Darn I missed that ...maybe the day after  there was hardly anyone on the ship that day

Not that trip, this was on the Nautica, it went E & N to St Petersburg. The one we were on together was my second time in Warnemunde. I don't remember them doing that on that trip. 

3 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

I agree that you shouldn't count on any sort of Sunday brunch. It would be extremely rare.  I was once on an O cruise on Mother's Day and it was a sea day.  Silly me, I thought they might do something for the mothers onboard.  Haha, no.  The only thing they did was the cruise director made an announcement over the PA wishing mothers onboard a happy mother's day.  A group of us ladies gathered in Horizons that afternoon and toasted ourselves. We made our own celebration. 

I think that's pretty appalling and gives me an unpleasant feeling about them. Thanks for sharing this.

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not a problem.  We spend 2-3 weeks every summer in Acadia National Park in Maine eating lobsters just pulled out of the ocean, so we would never think of ordering lobster on a ship.  [I'm glad that those from land-locked areas do enjoy them.  You can have mine!]

That's like u and Dungeness crabs. If it hasn't been freshly cooked then forget it 🙂

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Not that trip, this was on the Nautica, it went E & N to St Petersburg. The one we were on together was my second time in Warnemunde. I don't remember them doing that on that trip. 

AHHH

Then I did not miss it then LOL

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Really?  What I read says you can have your burger prepared 'to order.'  The bottom part is an 'Advisory,' not a law.  How does Oceania interpret it – if I'm willing to accept the listed 'risk'?

Did I say it was a law?

People have asked in the past for  rare burgers  they would not  serve them rare

10 hours ago, clo said:

I think that's pretty appalling and gives me an unpleasant feeling about them. Thanks for sharing this.

It’s worth noting that Mother’s Day is celebrated on different dates in different parts of the world. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Good plan unless that cook is busy with multiple different orders and other responsibilities. 

Plus, in Waves, one places their order and goes to their table and are later served. There is no standing over the chefs telling them what to do.

Those Florida lobster are pre-cooked and frozen. Every minute on the grill is just further cooking.

I guess I've been lucky, then, being there when it's not too busy!  And I had no idea that they were pre-cooked; frozen yes, but pre-cooked?!!!

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Really?  What I read says you can have your burger prepared 'to order.'  The bottom part is an 'Advisory,' not a law.  How does Oceania interpret it – if I'm willing to accept the listed 'risk'?

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 10.43.59 PM.png

PS – this sounds like a CDC or FDA warning, and the burger in question would be being ordered in port in Martinique.  The French not only believe that medium-rare is safe, they have a special phrase for it:  'à point'

Yes, I've seen the advisory, but it's just that:  an advisory.  Order how you want.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not a problem.  We spend 2-3 weeks every summer in Acadia National Park in Maine eating lobsters just pulled out of the ocean, so we would never think of ordering lobster on a ship.  [I'm glad that those from land-locked areas do enjoy them.  You can have mine!]

I'm from New Hampshire.  Believe me I know the difference.  But for ship lobster, it's a pretty good lunch.

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

And I had no idea that they were pre-cooked; frozen yes, but pre-cooked?!!!

I always thought that they were partially pre-cooked to speed up the line. You’ve seen how long the line can get. Imagine if every tail was only frozen and had to be cooked entirely - the line would get much longer.

JMO.

10 hours ago, ToxM said:

It’s worth noting that Mother’s Day is celebrated on different dates in different parts of the world. 

I understand that but on this particular cruise, the vast majority of passengers were American.  We were  sailing off the coast of Southern California at the time.  It was mentioned here that Sunday brunches, if in the rare instance that they happen, are on longer cruises. This was a 16-day cruise.  Not particularly long, but not short either. I love Oceania but it was a disappointment that they did nothing to celebrate Mother's Day. 

7 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

I guess I've been lucky, then, being there when it's not too busy!  And I had no idea that they were pre-cooked; frozen yes, but pre-cooked?!!!

From what I read on multiple food sites, "precooked" seems like another name for "blanched."