The Daily for Sunday Mar 14, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Children's Craft Day, Learn about Butterflies Day, and National Potato Chip Day

Today begins Daylight Savings Time.

Do not worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older it will avoid you. - Joey Adams

Meal suggestion for today - African Chicken & Sweet Potatoes

Drink of the Day - Raspberry Rose

Wine of the day - Syrah Walla Walla Valley Powerline Estate 2014

Port of the Day - Juneau Alaska US

At Sea English Channel
Eurodam Destination Brest FR
Zaandam Destination Torquay eta today

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 3/17

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Noordam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage

0314USA.thumb.png.5ca9cd5ada8510f481e684f387006a14.png

0314Tor.thumb.png.61a2246358816222ef74b2beb198a6cf.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the year's first DST Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days.  Don't get involved much with children's crafts these days.  I have a lot to learn about butterflies.  I will certainly celebrate potato chip day tonight.  So true on the quote.  I'm sure we will have a lot of reports on Juneau today, I may post on the "other" Juneau port.  I'll be interested  to learn more about the meal suggestion.  My alternative is Chilled Melon Gazpacho, Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad, and Dutch Apple Pie.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes14.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Cunnorl’s BIL still hospitalized

bennybears DD in Quarantine

Mamaofami and DH

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Happy Birthday bennybear

Jab appointment for Mr. Ger-77

J&J for St.LouisSals teacher-daughter

StLouisCruisers Son and grandson bonding over soccer

This community for 51+ weeks

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich and Roy for the Daily. It is Sunday night here and we are off to bed soon. I look forward to reading all the posts tomorrow. We have been to Juneau twice and were hoping to go again last June, but of course that never happened. All my photos are on another computer though.

here is a nice thought for the day.

733A9962-0009-4BE3-BE8F-A1FA77C5F970.thumb.jpeg.6427ffe0378cfb5f9576fc1fcb6fd1a6.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Love there is a Children's Craft day.  They are so creative.  Potato Chips are my second favorite snack.  We have a special place in our Eco park for butterflies.  The quote is so true.  We loved Juneau when we visited.  It was very cloudy so pictures from the top of the mountain are not good enough to share. I'll see if I can find others to post later. Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Raspberry Rose Cocktail:

Serves: 4

Ingredients

• 2 1⁄2 cups frozen raspberries
  • 1 1⁄2 cups water
  • 3⁄4 cup  Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
  • 1 bottle (750 mL) rosé
  • 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberries, to serve

Directions
  • Step 1
    In a medium pot over medium heat, add the frozen berries and water. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the sugar. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook for 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  • Step 2
    Put the berries in a blender and puree. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the pureed berries into a large pitcher.
  • Step 3
    Pour the rosé over the berries, then stir to combine.
  • Step 4
    Serve with fresh raspberries. Refrigerate leftovers.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 7.11.02 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

It is March 15 in Australia.  Today's sunrise is my last from the deck of a ship.  One year ago today Queen Mary 2 was docked in Fremantle, Australia.  A couple hours after I took this photo the other shoe dropped and I started packing feverishly:

dawn0315.jpg

Roy

• Like 32

Good morning.  I changed some clocks this morning, not sure when my internal clock will get the message.  But, it's a good excuse to eat some potato chips later. 🙂

Interesting quote.

I was planning on something with chicken for dinner tonight, maybe your dinner suggestion will be it.

Love raspberries, I'll save that cocktail recipe.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Our first cruise was out of Vancouver to Alaska with a stop in Juneau.  It seems like so long ago, I hope we go back someday.

Thanks again for the maps - love them.

Sending prayers for all.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Happy Mothering Sunday to anyone celebrating today.

It’s also Pi day.

Many great memories of Juneau, from whale watching to the Taku Lodge and the tram.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Still super dark here!  Great combo of days, though I will pass on the chips. Like a couple brands, but do not usually buy them.  Butterflies have really started to flourish during the past week. Even Bindi seems to enjoy them. Always try to have a craft project for when my great nieces & nephew visit. There are some great ideas out there.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Not sure about the quote. Summer that drink sounds & looks great! Looking forward to the meal description. Today is a normal Sunday, but I need to adjust the timing of the few manual clocks I have and my pool system timer. Last night I attended a Pat Benetar/Pink tribute concert that was great. The lead singer sounded so much like Pat Benetar! She did sound a bit like Pat Benetar singing Pink songs, but she had a great voice. And I had a mushroom cheeseburger & sweet potato fries (and some wine) before the show. My first event like this in more than a year. So much fun. 

I was in Juneau in 1995, so all my pictures are hard copy. I was on a Princess ship that tendered us in. But we did a helicopter ride up to Mendenhal glacier. It was spectacular flying over and then landing on the glacier. One of our guides even put a rubber ducky in a tiny puddle for us to discover. After we walked around town. Visited Rie Munoz’s gallery and ordered one of her prints to be shipped. That was where we helped a fellow passenger, who fell and we ended up being invited to eat with the Captain as a way to thank us. It was a fun evening.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. Day is just starting to break as I finish this.

This wine sounds great. Not sure if I have ever met a “blood plum”, so I may have to look that up. And the “floral notes” surprise me in a Syrah. But the reasonable price - starting around $35 for the older vintages, and the superb ratings for all vintages, makes one for my list. 

Winemaker Notes

#2 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Damp earth, campfire and stone wafts up from the glass. It gives way to the density of flavor of the palate. Cured meats and olives abound. Tumbled river rock is the home of these vines. From the heart of Walla Walla to your glass. 

JS96 James Suckling: This is spectacular for complexity and depth. The nose delivers dried violets, cherries and pepper with a swathe of hard brown spices and sweet earthy notes. The palate has intensity and focus and is very layered and very deep; it's marked by dark stony accents of graphite as well as dark chocolate-coated blood plums. Long unwavering finish. Try from 2020 and a decade after that. 
WS95 Wine Spectator: A knockout Syrah, precise and impeccably built but explosive with personality. Smoky roasted meat and floral blackberry aromas combine with bold, supple flavors of dark plum, pepper and licorice. The tannins are big but polished. Drink now through 2024. 
WE94 Wine Enthusiast: This new exciting vineyard is located in the foothills of the Blue Mountains and is filled with cobblestone soils. The aromas explode with notes of raspberry, green and black olive brine, green stem, smoked meat, mineral and earth. The palate is rich and focused, with intense earth, fruit and savory flavors that lead to an extended finish. Abundant floral notes are speckled throughout. It’s a stunner.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

A great selection of days today.  Lots of butterflies in our gardens and with what I have planned this year, there should be more 🤞 

The dogs seem to have moved to DST so they had me up bright and early 😉 

2D9EFFF5-E107-47BB-A6F9-7C5BF029510E.jpeg.7733fe48278558d33307b0db9dfa4ea1.jpeg

Love the quote for today and that Raspberry Rose sounds lovely as dessert.

Dinner suggestion sounds good but I’m feeling chickened out.  We ended up with leftovers last night since I had been working at my “babies” most of the day so I need to plan something decent for tonight.

Yesterday I was moving greenhouse and other racks around trying to get ideal light for the babies being transplanted.  DH agreed to the bigger ones in the kitchen so up came more from the basement for the living room and the begonias in there 😉 

The other day, someone lamented that their seedlings were too leggy / stretched out.  That happened to my osteospermum so for them and my hibiscus which needs a deeper pot, I put them in the deeper pots, filled the earth gently around the stem to give it support and now we shall see.

9595E689-746D-45B0-B720-FF42E24DC97D.thumb.jpeg.d3d3aa78d07dd0915c5f386c71355b12.jpeg

hope this helps for anyone with gangly stems.  For the rest I got done, they go in small biodegradable containers that they can grow through.  Hopefully they don’t need to be transplanted again before it’s time to go out but I have my doubts.  Time will tell.  Sadly, I ran out of my containers so I need to buy more and then I can get the peppers and dahlias done today (and they need doing 😉 )

8E3F69B7-1E80-4F8A-B7D9-96D187EE510F.thumb.jpeg.54332b1b738fc137139be59e54d3cdf0.jpeg

So happy for all of the people who are getting jabbed or have appointments.  I thought of all of you when I saw this one:

C90F646F-EE0D-45A1-9D56-994049480F44.jpeg.3998a094eaad7c2128a9e880aa5035c2.jpeg

Haven’t been to Juneau or Alaska.  It’s hard to be motivated to go see ice and cold when we are surrounded by it for so long 😉 

Have a great Sunday everyone. Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone.

I didn't spring forward easily.  It was hard getting up today.  The excitement of new appliances must have tired me out yesterday because I slept like a rock last night.  

As a former Math teacher, I have to celebrate Pi Day today.   We used to have a special day on Pi Day and the kids made Pi inspired t-shirts and socks, Pi chains, did Pi skits, and all sorts of other things, along with eating Pi(e).   It was a lot of fun.  I'll skip the potato chips, but celebrate the butterflies.  

Today's dinner reminds me of a soup I occasionally make called African Chicken Peanut Soup.  The ingredients in tonight's dinner are similar.  The soup is really good, with interesting flavors, so I would guess the dinner would be as well.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/african-chicken-sweet-potatoes/

African-Chicken-Sweet-Potatoes_exps170986_SD142780B08_07_3bC_RMS-3.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

Happy Sunday and daylight savings time to all.  Don’t really understand why we continue to have DST but whatever.

A bill has been introduced into the Ontario legislature to end the bi-annual changing of the clocks.  If passed we would stay on DST.  They want Quebec and New York to do the same.  I wish them luck.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Good morning all. Another lovely sunny day in Essex county. Yesterday I hung laundry outside for the first time since fall. Bedding goes out today. 

we have been to Juneau three times. Did the Mendenhall glacier on our most recent trip in 2012, but as someone else said my pictures are on another computer (or hard copy from our first trip in 2001). The 2012 trip was a 14 day on the Amsterdam. We drove west to Seattle and after the cruise we drove down the coast to Southern California and the east. We camped all the way. It was a great trip.

Have a great day!

• Like 18

36 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

A bill has been introduced into the Ontario legislature to end the bi-annual changing of the clocks.  If passed we would stay on DST.  They want Quebec and New York to do the same.  I wish them luck.

The Georgia State House of Representatives passed a bill recently requiring the state to stay on standard time all year, it didn't pass the Georgia Senate.

According to local news:

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 15 states have enacted legislation in the last four years to provide for year-round daylight saving time. An act of Congress is required to allow the change due to federal law.

However, Georgia's legislation would keep the state in standard time, which would allow the law to have an immediate impact and does not require Congress.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I don't care if we stay on Standard Time or Daylight Saving Time, I just wish they'd pick one and stay with it.  I don't like the time change.

I agree with you.  I wouldn’t mind if they split the difference and moved the time by 30 minutes to satisfy both sides of the debate.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I agree with you.  I wouldn’t mind if they split the difference and moved the time by 30 minutes to satisfy both sides of the debate.

🙂  That reminds me of Newfoundland - they have there own time zone, 30 minutes ahead of Atlantic Time Zone.

• Like 12